Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

The Whip and The Soldier

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

How difficult it must be, to awaken after all that time and find your holdings in disarray.

An object lesson for Milton. Their eternity is filled with gaps. And in those gaps: dissolution, dispersal, devaluation.

Milton meets Robert's eye only for a moment. The force of the other Lord's Beast and a healthy respect for their family's...talent requires to look elsewhere. In this instance, Milton runs his chin and looks somewhere just above Quartermain's head. As if lost in thought. Whether the Alder Soldier will pick up on the wariness underwriting his gestures is an open question.

Play It Off, 2 successes

After a moment, "I understand this state of affairs may be alarming, but there is much to work with in your current...situation. Especially the properties. Even if they have fallen into disrepair, they represent a stable pool of equity to work with."

A pause: "Are these properties still in your name? An alias? Or," heaven forbid, "deeded to another?"

Perhaps the situation is a little more tenuous than Milton lets on, but he endeavors to project a certain, quiet confidence. If only to put the other Lord's mind at ease.

Seem Confident, failure

Though, it seems to him, his self-assurance may ring false.

No matter. The proof will be in the results. Not words.
    Health: Vitae: WP: BP: 1

2. Likes liked this post
    Blood Potency
    R Quartermain
    Stats

Health:
    Monthly Avg. Vitae: 5
    Current Vitae:
    WP:
    Armor: 1/2
    Defense: 3
    Initiative: 8
    Speed: 9
    Tracker

R Quartermain Scenes

PRE

Pricked pride howled like a wounded animal inside his mind as he considered the whip's words. He was thankful for the collected and reasoned response, focused entirely on the topic of the finances and not any aspersions as to the reasons behind their disarray.

"They remain under a name I am known by," he replies, "held in an estate process for my alleged heirs and beneficiaries - of which, of course, one Robert Quartermain is named. The paperwork and processing was well situated before my rest, they just remain is disarray with a need for capital to repair."

The soldier leaned back in the chair, considering. "Money will make more money, as it is often wont; in that way, it is not unlike rabbits. I suppose my question for you, Whip Northbridge, is that of renumeration. A debt earned is a debt paid, and I do not expect your assistance for free."

And now, he mused, the true test. The meaning under the meaning - for even as the soldier understood this meeting had to occur, money was needed after all, it would serve as the real test of Milton's political prowess and allow him to gauge how strong an ally the other Lord might be. Ask for too little and seem obsequious - when in fact Milton had the upper hand - or ask for too much and seem stringent or vicious.

4. Likes liked this post

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

"Very good, very good..." Milton muses. The situation is manageable. As close to ideal as possible. Though he will need to study the contours for himself. "If you could provide the information on those parcels and any other accounts," those that remain, at least, "as well as the means to access them, at your convenience of course, I can begin work directly..."

A small, wry smile at the Leporidaen metaphor. "Indeed. Though these rabbits only breed under the proper conditions. My role is to ensure that the...mood is conducive to proliferation."

Ah yes. Now comes the question of renumeration. Unbeknownst to Milton, he is performing calculations very similar to Robert's own. It is clear that he is considering his options.

Finally: "Alder Soldier, you are a Cousin and a member of the First Estate. I am happy to help, and to do so without unnecessary cost to you. Even if, as you note, nothing in 'life' is free. However, given that the extent and duration of my work is still unclear. Therefore, I propose the following," he unfolds his hands as if revealing his plan. "Let us wait until such time as I have been able to examine your...current situation and formulate an approach before setting the terms. This will allow me to quote a fair price. One that respects our family ties, your position, and my efforts. The initial evaluation will be performed gratis."

He folds his hands again, "Does that suit?"

6. Likes liked this post
    Blood Potency
    R Quartermain
    Stats

Health:
    Current Vitae:
    WP:
    Tracker

R Quartermain Scenes

PRE

Well spoken, he mused, wisely said and wisely done to sidestep over or under spending the only capital valued among the Danse - reputation.

The Soldier nodded slowly, pulling a far too slender envelope from his jacket pocket and passing it over. "I believe the relevant documents for you to make your determination will be present there."

As he passed over the envelope, he paused a moment before adding. "I... would appreciate your discretion in this matter. I am currently living in a matter which I am... not accustomed. It is not as... suited as it should be for one of my age and bearing; while I am willing to face such matters directly in private, your... discretion is appreciated and may be considered as part of your asking price once you have done your initial review."

He was reasonably certain that such discretion would be present regardless, but it was worthy to note it, acknowledge it, and more importantly, he thought, pay for it.

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

He comes prepared... A good sign. And a warning issued, if indirectly: the Alder Soldier does not leave things to chance.

Milton accepts the envelope with a touch of solemnity. Not too much, nothing dramatic. Just enough to display his understanding of the grave trust his fellow Lord is placing in him.

"Thank you, Alder Soldier. I am pleased to assist you in this regard. Discretion is my highest value. Rest assured, your privacy will not be violated by me or my activities." Tucks the envelope away, pondering Robert's current 'living' situation. Something to bring up with Jacque. Perhaps an offer might be extended...

He sits back, showing Robert that bland smile again. "With that matter attended to, I'm curious to hear more about your early nights in the domain. What are your impressions thus far? I would value your perspective, given your...experience."

Blood Potency
    R Quartermain
    Stats

Health:
    Current Vitae:
    WP:
    Tracker

R Quartermain Scenes

PRE

"Thus far it is everything I would want from a Domain governed by the First Estate," he replied simply. Effusive praise, perhaps, but true none the less. The ways and means of the Estate were a balm to an aged mind and the structures built into those means meant he had no worries of navigating them.

"It seems a quiet, stable, location," he noted, before adding "which is a benefit, I think. Chaos may be a ladder upon which one climbs, but it is just as easily a ladder from which one is pulled down to their doom. The Danse is a slow, patient, thing for those with the wisdom to avoid the fierce urgency of now."

"And yourself?" The soldier replied, curious the turn the topic. "Recent appointment to Whip, recent entrance into the Estate... may I ask how long you have resided here in Her Grace's Domain, and your experiences therein?"

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

"I am happy to hear it," Milton says. Indeed, he does look pleased. After his own, boring, fashion.

"It is quite stable but, as you well know, such a state of affairs requires considerable work. I have been involved in a few...high-stress situations since my own arrival. But, because of effective action by those of us involved, the domain maintains its peaceful character." The message should be clear enough: Get involved. Stay involved.

"Chaos can present...opportunities." A wry smile. "But only if one is able to effectively capitalize quickly before restoring order." A herculean task. "In any event, the population of the domain prospers under Her Grace's leadership." Or they're too terrified of her wrath to say otherwise. Six of one, half-dozen of the other. "It is the ideal situation for pursuing that patient growth you rightly prefer."

Milton's query is lobbed back at him. For a moment, he is silent. Considering. "I have been in Sacramento for a little over a year. I arrived something of an orphan. My sire, Alder Elias Northbridge, Commissioner of the First Estate, having recently...departed. As you note, I have prospered in my time here. Largely by dedicating myself to serving the Her Grace, the domain, and our fellow Kindred. I do not shy from work, Alder Soldier." Those labors have, thus far, paid off.

Blood Potency
    R Quartermain
    Stats

Health:
    Current Vitae:
    WP:
    Tracker

R Quartermain Scenes

PRE

A small, real, smile crosses his face. "Nor should any of us; for much of work is required to maintain a Domain of the Estate. It is... a good thing, I think," he added after a moment, "that I have been fortunate to come to such a place."

Good place to close and wrap into continuity?

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

"And we are lucky to have you, Alder Soldier..." Milton responds with a smile that is mysterious, if apparently genuine.

Such an ancient creature, even in his diminished state...The depth of knowledge alone...Lucky, indeed...

Two undead monsters pass a pleasant enough evening in one another's company. Productive, at the very least.

The night wears on, then comes to a close.

Thanks for the great scene! Sorry for the delayed finish. =)

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
Closed Thread