(Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Walls and the Floor become slightly tilted, there's a sickly sweet and sharp smell in the air. Faintly, the sound chains (and even fainter: the sound of leather) can be heard. More powerful spells make the sounds more pronounced and colors seem to pulsate.
    Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0
    Active Spells: 1/4
    Personal Spells: 1

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

Crystal's apartment was on the 4th floor of a building in the nicer part of town. Big windows on the southern and eastern side made sure that the one big main living room-plus-kitchen was bright and comfortable enough. The only three doors in there led outside, to a spacious bathroom and to his bedroom.The open kitchen was modern and clean looking, black and chrome surfaces contrasting with pops of colour from his appliances (among them a bordeaux toaster, a light-blue water heater and an orange espresso-machine). He once bought some new tools and machines, just to make a young wannabe-cook's life easier. That short-lived phase has passed already, though.

Beyond a counter was a big glass table with six black leather chairs around it. A bottle of water and two glasses have been set up - by now they were his usual set-up for visitors he could not properly place yet on the party-gauge.
    The other side of the room was dominated by the huge TV on the wall and a couch big enough to comfortably place six or seven guests. A few cabinets stood around - by now filled with numerous books on different topics, post-its and earmarks strewn across in many places.

The Mastigos Councilor was waiting for a certain 'Lanny' - either that one got his sights on Corn's title for worst Shadow name or he was sensible enough to use a normal name on the phone. He really hoped it was the latter, 'cause that would make this first meeting a whole lot easier.

Dressed in black slacks and clean white shirt - just serious enough to seem somewhat professional - the Warlock waited for a potential new face in town when he suddenly had an intuition.

1 success

He didn't really know why he imagined black, leather padded walls erecting in his mind (and those walls did not possess holes in convenient places, thank you very much) but it felt like a good idea when meeting unknown Mastigos. You never knew.
    Health: Willpower: Mana:

2. Likes Endymion liked this post
    grotesque (after the gramme)
    Presence
    (Cagey)
    New Identity
    (Lanny Bryant)
    New Identity
    (Steve Smith)
    Contacts
    (Public Works)
    Occultation
    (Who?)
    Rails
    Active Stats

Active Spells: 2/5
    Personal Spells: 2/3

Monthly Rituals:
    [2R] Mental Shield
    [4R] Incognito Presence

OCC
    PRE

Downstairs, a lady who lives on the third floor of the building lets herself in. She doesn't really notice the guy a few steps behind her that grabs the door before it closes. She's got a lot on her mind.

Once inside, Rails forgoes the elevator (if there is one) and makes for the stairs. Too much can go wrong with an elevator. If there's a mechanical failure when you're on foot, the worst that happens is you trip.

On his way up, the Warlock has a little time to reflect on his choices. On the situation he's walking into. Considers a few options and decides to pass on any further modifications to his pattern. If shit goes wrong, he'll have to work on the fly.

Fourth floor. Rails exits the stairwell into the hall. Finds the door with the correct apartment number.

Runs his hand through his hair once. Deep breath. Knocks.

Stats

Equipment

4. Likes Aeolus liked this post
    Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Walls and the Floor become slightly tilted, there's a sickly sweet and sharp smell in the air. Faintly, the sound chains (and even fainter: the sound of leather) can be heard. More powerful spells make the sounds more pronounced and colors seem to pulsate.
    Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

Good thing he was waiting for someone - he wasn't sure if he would have missed the knocking were he busy at that moment. After a few moments the door opened and when Crystal looked at the potential new face in town he felt his Mind slipping off his presence despite his earlier cast spell.

1 success

Yep, that guy seemed a Mastigos all right. A moment of confusion, then a bright smile appeared on the Councilor's face. "Oh hey, you must be Lanny. I'm Chris, Come on in." How fucking weird to be only good enough to notice that you're being fucked with, but not good enough to stop them from doing it. Crystal stepped in and made room for his guest to enter - and he forced himself to keep his eyes on Lanny the whole time. It was kinda exhausting, but frankly he didn't know whether that guy was friendly or.. not.

He'd even lead Rails to the kitchen table until they both sat down. Maybe actually engaging would make this easier, maybe he just needed to stop worrying and go with the flow. He was good at that. Yeah. "Can I get you something, water? Coffee?" A little bell around your neck to be reminded of your presence? "And most importantly: what brings you here?"

6. Likes Endymion liked this post
    Presence
    (Cagey)
    New Identity
    (Lanny Bryant)
    New Identity
    (Steve Smith)
    Contacts
    (Public Works)
    Occultation
    (Who?)
    Rails
    Active Stats

Monthly Rituals:
    [2R] Mental Shield
    [4R] Incognito Presence

OCC
    PRE

That's Rails: faintest smudge on the lens of the world. Something you'd try to wipe away before looking at it twice.

Maybe he'll let himself become more apparent to Crystal. Someday. But not now. Not until he knows the guy. Like really knows him.

1 success

His host's momentary confusion is not lost on him. There's a little tingle of satisfaction deep down. One that Rails quickly extinguishes. That's pride fuckin' with you.

"Thanks," he replies in a voice that's equal measures soft and forgettable. Steps across the threshold.

No fireworks. A good start.

Once the door is closed: "You can call me Rails." Head on a swivel as Chris leads him toward the kitchen, really taking in the space. Clean, modern appliances. Big windows. Plush furnishings. Most importantly: the floor plan.

Memorize Apartment Layout, 1 success

He takes that seat at the kitchen table. "Coffee," he says. A note of thanks in his voice.

"Well. I came to pay my respects. New in town." As if Crystal doesn't already know that. "It's OK to talk in here?" Never hurts to ask.

8. Likes Aeolus liked this post
    Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

Did him looking around make Crystal nervous? Fuck yes. Eh. He gave the kind of vibe that gave him bad San Francisco flashbacks, but maybe that was just his reaction to the mind-fuckery. "Nice to meet you. I go by Crystal in these circles. And yeah, it's safe to talk in here."

When he turned to make some coffee there was a short moment where he almost forgot whom he was making coffee for. He didn't want coffee right now. He turned his head and remembered. Ugh. He better not let his guest see how off balance he felt right now.

4 successes

"You want anything in it? Milk, sugar?" The Councilor's voice was even and cheerful, the smile seemed as natural as smiles got. "And no offense, but could you drop that veil? I assume we're both on friendly terms here and frankly it's a bit distracting." He got being careful, but insisting on staying incognito would raise more than one red flag.

He brought the cup over to his guest, along with anything else Rails wanted. "So, Q&A time: I take it you're walking the same Path as I am. Are you affiliated with any Order? What made you come here?" He stopped for a second, then sighed exaggeratedly, then chuckled. "I'm sorry. I don't mean this to sound an interrogation. But you know, you don't strike me as the guy who's hot for small talk so I'd rather get to the point." Because apparently not every Mastigos coming through could be like Belle.

10. Likes Endymion, Ruach liked this post
    Presence
    (Cagey)
    New Identity
    (Lanny Bryant)
    New Identity
    (Steve Smith)
    Contacts
    (Public Works)
    Occultation
    (Who?)
    Rails
    Active Stats

Monthly Rituals:
    [2R] Mental Shield
    [4R] Incognito Presence

OCC
    PRE

Rails watches Crystal busy himself in the kitchen. Feeling...something. Envy? Disdain? Indifference? It's hard to name. He'll have to consider it later.

"Black. Please." He wants a cigarette. Does this place have a balcony? Glances around again.

But the other Warlock is making his request and Rails is suddenly thrown into what he considers a rather significant decision.

"That is an assumption. I can say, for my part, that I'm here on friendly terms. But you've gotta see it from my side. Here is your home turf, you know? Letting down my guard seems...unwise. I'm sure you can see why I might be nervous." Look at your Patrick Bateman style apartment, my dude.

A long pause.

"Still. As a gesture of good will." He pictures the mirror in his pocket. Pictures his eye appearing therein. Coming into focus.

Dismisses the spell. It's as if he's suddenly fully there. In all his chewed-up-and-spit-out glory.

"Better?" He sips the coffee. It's good. Holds up the cup in a silent salute to the barista.

Then come the questions. "You're correct. We're brothers on the Path of Scourging. Doesn't it feel good to pay more?" A wry twist of the lips. "Guardian," he answers simply. "So interrogation doesn't bother me." Another sip of coffee, his eyes stay on Crystal the whole time. The mug is lowered. "You?"

12. Likes Aeolus liked this post
    Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

It's not like he was wrong, it's just that when you're seeking official acknowledgement in a new Consilium that kind of attitude wouldn't earn you a lot of friends. Thankfully Rails agreed to drop it - and somehow was just as unremarkable as ever. Only not supernally so. "Thanks. And for what it's worth, if there is anything I can do to make you less nervous just shoot." He wasn't really good at reading others, he just knew how to sweet-talk himself out of most situations.

3 successes

The moment Crystal heard his guest was a Guardian his stomach dropped. That would expect the uneasy feeling, all right. Luckily the bright smile he used in situations where he was nervous was well-rehearsed and ready to go. "Huh, that's cool. As far as I know we only have one other Guardian - Winter, I'm sure you've already touched bases with him." Or he hasn't. Or he has been here for a year now. Who the fuck knew with the Guardians?
    He realized that there was an unanswered question hanging between them. Focus, for fucks sake. "I'm with the Mysterium. This city has a big fluctuation when it comes to people sticking around, but the there have been a few names that stuck around for a while now." He considered for a moment. Rails seemed like someone who didn't get overwhelmed easily by information, so he might as well give him the full run-down. Chances were he already knew most of it. "Phoenyx is the First Talon and Councilor of the Obrimos. Guru and Eulogy are Councilors of the Thyrsus and Moros, respectively. Puck is the sole member of Sacramentos Free Council and the Acanthus Councilor. I'm sure you'll meet everyone soon enough, but I figured you might want to come a bit prepared." He couldn't help the teasing tone in his voice. But only asshats would think he was implying something negative. "Do I need to go over the Lex with you?"

He wished there was more pep in him for more small talk. But until that one has proven that he wasn't a typical Guardian, always out to catch people red-handed, he'd rather not indulge in too much personal talk at the moment.

Presence
    (Cagey)
    New Identity
    (Lanny Bryant)
    New Identity
    (Steve Smith)
    Contacts
    (Public Works)
    Occultation
    (Who?)
    Rails
    Active Stats

Monthly Rituals:
    [2R] Mental Shield
    [4R] Incognito Presence

OCC
    PRE

"Naw. You're good," he replies to Crystal's offer. "I'm just a cautious guy, I guess." Shrugs. Rails has learned his lesson about trust. Learned it long before he Awakened to the True World. When you're a junkie, you either figure out how to live without depending on anyone or you die. Easy as that. "Thanks for offering, though."

2 successes

If Rails sees through the sweet talk, or notices Crystal's trepidation concerning his Order, the Warlock doesn't let on.

Sips his coffee. "Yeah, we've been in touch. Decent dude. You two friendly?" Might as well get a sense of this dude's relationship with the only other Guardian in town. Any data point helps.

"Mysterium, huh? You know what I like about you guys? You know what you want. That's rare, way I see it. Keeps things simple. I appreciate that." Plus, when you know what someone want, really wants, you can manage them. Guide them. Keep them on track.

Memorize Consilium Folks, 2 successes

It's clear he's listening closely as Crystal details the major players. "Appreciate the run-down. But I'm all set on the Laws."

He sets down the cup. "You got a balcony or something where I can smoke?"

15. Likes Aeolus liked this post
    Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Caution is good. I guess people kinda forget about that since there hasn't been any major Seer or Banisher activity for the last few.. years?" At least not as long as he had been here. "Doesn't mean things are always just peachy, but some people have become a bit.. placated." And this was either a way to calm Rails down or a spectacularly stupid idea to admit this in front of a Guardian. "Because of that and because people seem to come and go here every few weeks we don't have a Hierarch at the top here. It's just the five Councilors and an official meeting every three months."

Crystal pursed his lips when Rails asked about Winter. "He doesn't talk much, but I guess we're friendly." At least Aurora vouched for him and as far as this Warlock was concerned Winter didn't dislike him.

A small chuckle escaped the Councilor's lips despite him being on edge. "Oh yeah, we do know what we want for the most part. And when you meet the leader of the Order, Corn, you'll probably get an in-depth explanation to boot."
    Opening windows would mean compromising their privacy, so Crystal just waved Rail's question off. "Just smoke in here. This apartment has seen worse." He got up and fetched a small bowl from the kitchen. And wasn't it fucking nice to turn your back on a guest and remember him being there? "You can use this as an ashtray." He thought for a moment, lips again pursed. "So, anything else I need to know about you? Enjoy long walks on the beach, romantic diners - that stuff?" Frankly, he didn't really know if Rails could take a joke but for a lack of better alternatives he gave it a shot.

17. Likes Endymion liked this post
    Presence
    (Cagey)
    New Identity
    (Lanny Bryant)
    New Identity
    (Steve Smith)
    Contacts
    (Public Works)
    Occultation
    (Who?)
    Rails
    Active Stats

Monthly Rituals:
    [2R] Mental Shield
    [4R] Incognito Presence

OCC
    PRE

Rails glowers at the mention of Seers and Banishers. "Fucking shit-bags," he mutters before draining his coffee and putting it down in front of him. "That's good news, though." If it's true. Never assume they're gone. The Seers especially.

Anyway, they're not the only threats. Case in point: "Placated, huh? How so?" He asks it casually. Nonchalant. All of which hides his keen interest in Crystal's answer.

Hiding his Interest, 4 successes

No Hierarch? Well. Could be a fruitful situation. All thrones are false, after all.

Could also be a total shit show.

"That's an interesting set-up. What's your read? Does it work out OK?"

Winter? Taciturn? No fucking way. "Yeah, he keeps it close to the chest. Gotta respect a guy who can play it like that."

Rails acknowledges Crystal's chuckle with a small smile and a tip of the head. But then he looks confused. "Corn? That's somebody's name?" It's not like 'Rails' is a common handle. But at least it's not America's favorite grain. Funny old world, isn't it?

At Crystal's invitation, he extracts his cigarettes and lighter from his pocket. For the first time since arriving, he feels a touch of real warmth for his host. "Thanks, man. I appreciate you being chill."

Almost lovingly, he extracts one from the pack and lights it. Sets the lighter on top of the box. Leans back, crosses his skinny legs, releases a plume of smoke. Taps ash into the bowl. "Feel free to grab one if you want."

Crystal's interest in how he passes his time is rewarded with a look that say Me? Why would anyone be interested in me? But Rails endeavors to provide an answer. "I don't know, dude. I got a job. Bike courier. I go to NA meetings sometimes. I like to go to record stores, though I don't really buy much. I like Chinese food." Some of that's lies. Some of it's not.

Lie, 3 successes

"Mostly I just focus on this thing of ours, you know?"

Taps more ash into the bowl.

"How about you? How does Crystal keep himself occupied?"

19. Likes Aeolus, liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread