(Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)
    First thing you will notice about Ale is the abundance of her tattoos. They go from her face all the way to her feet, and not much is left bare. The second thing? Her strong Italian accent.

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes

-1 Vitae Blush of Life, 

-2 Vitae for Blush of Life and Drink, 

+1
    SL
    PRE

“Sometimes, when it’s all you can afford,” a shrug, “you make do.” She wasn’t always as well off as she was now.

Laughing, “It was this marciume intestinale shit back in Italy.” Realizing she reverted to Italian, “Oh, umm,” thinking of the translation, “gut rot! Was this tiny ass hole in the wall place on the docks and I was getting ready for my trip here. Wish I could remember the name of the stuff, but damn, it was bad.” A little shudder and laugh. “Could probably take paint off a car with that shit.” Now she was a bit more careful with what she drank.

Seemed like the Haunt was content to not give much away. She could respect that. “Then I wish you luck. There are many opportunities in the city for someone driven.” And she seemed driven. A bit quiet about it, but driven. A shake of her head, “It allows me the funds to purchase pieces I want for my personal collection. As well as the chance to invest in new and upcoming local artists.” One would be surprised at the talent.

“That’s true, I’ll give him that.” Why not. “Moby Dick? Can’t say I’ve tried to read that one. But from what I understand, that writing style was popular for the time. And old Bible English would probably kill me too.” A chuckle. “I’ve been trying to get into time periods of books, meaning the writing style. Take The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri. Not a writing style you come across much anymore, but enjoyable. So could the old Bible English also be enjoyable if presented differently?” she muses.
    Alessandra Antinori │BP 6│Strong Italian Accent

Helen Kingsley
    Helen Kingsley Scenes

NOS
    PRE

"Oh yes, truth right there. Funny how so many people accept that, but still don't care what that shit could take off their entrails. We had a lot of guys that took to getting their kicks out of bread and boot polish. Not as bad as gut rot, but still, what that did to their innards..."

No especially drastic excample, but she doesn't feel like getting into the stories with methanol coolant, braking fluids or antifreeze. She can laugh about it today, but it's really good that shit has gone down the path of history and doesn't look like it's getting back anytime soon. Around here, at least.

"Thank you, luck's never amiss." Still likes to run out like a bitch at the worst possible moment, but then, it is what it is. "Very true, but then, shaping those opportunity into something lasting is the real challenge, isn't it ?" Another sip of beer. "Crosses all the boxes then. Helps expand the collection and makes sure the local folks can develop and thrive, with some stuffs as a backup investment's also pretty good. Sounds like everyone involved wins." And that's become way too scarce today anyway, even if it's probably grossly oversimplifying.

"As I said, its educational. Folks used to say its two books blended into one, alternating a chapter of story with a chapter of some whaling lexicon." She muses on the question a little. "Dunno. My English is good enough to go through things most of the time, but this biblical english is exhausting to work through. I get those New Englanders talked like that back then, but it kills my immersion and forces me to decipher the stuff before I'm able to read on. It's fun when Im planning to do that, but when I'm on 'read' I want to read, not deal with linguistic puzzles and stuffs. I don't think a different presentation would change that a lot.

Allegedly, there's a lot in the older writing styles not as popular these days. Bible's the same as far as I heard, you can do a lot with it if you can read it in the original, but a lot of the finer stuffs gets lost in translation often. Not that Im an authority on that, most of the stuffs I read are not translations. I'd guess Divine Comedy's about the same if someone, like me, didn't speak Italian."

Nosferatu Curse: The vibe that that shadow is not doing as a shadow does as soon as you're not looking directly at it.

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)
    First thing you will notice about Ale is the abundance of her tattoos. They go from her face all the way to her feet, and not much is left bare. The second thing? Her strong Italian accent.

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes

-1 Vitae Blush of Life, 

+1
    SL
    PRE

The Savage laughs, “I’ve come across a few of them. Always amazed me that they were even alive after drinking it.” Never ceased to amaze her.

A sage nod, “That is very true. It’s also a challenge to have the patience to see those opportunities come to fruition. It seems there will always be those who expect things to be just handed to them instead of putting in the work. Not sure if it’s because of age or what.” But she was tired of seeing it. Another nod, “I like to invest in my community when I can. Keep it prosperous and moving forward. And too many people neglect the arts as a field of worthwhile investment.” She used to, but slowly got into it.

“Oh, well if you have to decipher it before you’ve gotten to really read the book, what’s the point? The words should paint the picture, but not an obscure one.” She’d probably hate that book.

Leaning back, “I agree, some things get lost in the translation and just don’t come across as powerful. Italian is just that, Italian. You cannot find a perfect translated English word for it most of the time. One needs to take into account not only the cultural differences, but the idioms and context.” Not something she expected to be talking about with Helen."Do you speak any other languages?" she mentioned time on that side of the sea, so maybe she picked something up.

“If you’d like to talk about something lighter, I’m game.” Maybe she wanted to discuss something easier, something more relaxing.

Helen Kingsley
    Helen Kingsley Scenes

NOS
    PRE

"Perhaps they were cheating..." Helen suggests with a knowing look.

"Patience can be learned. Question is what it takes to get into a place where learning it seems like it does good. Might be a cultural thing. people who are hand-held too long and have every problem solved for them never get the idea that having to wait for things can be a good thing. Same for having to earn a payoff. Or they got too good too soon and never encounteered any issues until it was too late and when it finally happens, they don't know what to do. I guess what factors in a lot is how people nowadays see errors as embarrassing things to be avoided at all costs, not as learning opportunities."

But then, some things can really humble a person and not all persons like to be humbled or know how to deal with it.

"Makes sense, as long as the community prospers, the investment and the investor prosper as well."

She nods at the deciphering comment.

"Well, if you don't expect it, it can come as a surprise. I mean, its like those old things, Shakespeare and such. You understand it broadfly, but there's still words you've never heard or simply don't know. Some people can read over that, just go with the gist and move on. I can't do that, those words I don't know bother me until I know what they mean.

I got a pretty good understanding of Russian. Pretty tough if you come from English, but the opportunities... I mean... Cussing in Russian, it's an art form. I love that language to death for that alone, but it loses all the poetry and color in translation. I know a little German and Dari. I'm far from fluent, though, I can introduce myself, count to ten, say where I am if it's not too specific, order a drink and know some insults to throw at people, thats about it."
    She chuckles. After all, travelling does educate people ! "How about you, anything exciting except English you picked up on the way ?"

She scratches her head.

"Lighter, hm ?"

Good one, she takes another sip from the bottle while thinking about what she can come up with.

Nosferatu Curse: The vibe that that shadow is not doing as a shadow does as soon as you're not looking directly at it.

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes

-1 Vitae Blush of Life, 

+1
    SL
    PRE

The look was returned, “That could be.” Though even as a Kindred, she didn’t want to drink that shit.

A sage nod, “I think it’s a mixture of culture and attitude. I never had anything handed to me, I’ve had to earn what I have. And I try and make those that work for me earn promotions through displaying hard work.” Shrugging, “But I’ve come across those who expect things to be handed to them because of who they are or who they know.” Another nod, “You’re right on that, people don’t see mistakes and errors as learning opportunities. And that’s just sad.” Shaking her head, “I’ve made so many mistakes in my life that I’m surprised I’ve made it as far as I have. But I was willing to take my mistakes, own them and grow from ‘em.” Not a lot of others would do that. “What is your take on making mistakes?” where did the Haunt fall on the scale?

“That’s not a bad thing in my opinion. It shows an ongoing desire to learn and gather knowledge.” Kept unlife interesting. “I’ve never been afraid to ask about something I don’t know the meaning to, or much about. I find it keeps life moving and interesting.” Helen was a lot deeper than the Savage was excepting. A pleasant surprise.

A look of being impressed, “Russian? Now that is one I was never able to grasp.” The words didn’t form right for her. “Knowing how to swear and insult is the cornerstone to any language.” Aside from pleasantries. A frown and shake of her head, “Unfortunately, no. I never seemed to be in a location long enough to understand the basics. Which I think sucks, as knowing other languages is such an accomplishment, and not one many possess.” So maybe she should learn one now?

Shrugging, “Or whatever people talk about over beers.” Laughing, and motioning for the bartender she wanted a beer. “How about music.” She recommends.

Helen Kingsley
    Helen Kingsley Scenes

NOS
    PRE

Helen nods in agreement and ponders the question for a bit.

"As long as you work, you make mistakes. The only one who makes no mistakes is the one who doesn't work. Thats what dad always used to tell us. Mum usually added something like And if you're really good, you look at other people's mistakes and learn from those too, so you don't have to make 'em yourself." She grins. "One of the reasons I like to tell stories from way back when. Most of 'em, okay, some of them, can be pretty educational, even though I heard that is more like a thing your folks do." Good old Gangrel stereotypes ! "My parents and me, we come from medicine. You will fuck up, question's not if, but when. The one thing it comes down to is what you do then. Worst thing is you killl a guy. You can either kill him to save your ego and statistics or you can make sure that you'll learn so that this guy didn't go for nothing and the next time, you'll know what to do to keep the next one around for good. Me, I've always found stuff like being Queen of the Greenie Board never particularly helped me sleep at night."

She shrugs.

"But that's personal preference. When the people are more invisible and it's just about numbers, figures or nifty graphics... I guess having the best statistics or sales numbers or success rates is pretty appealing and not so bad for self-image and conscience."

She nods.

"Ain't no dumb questions, just dumb answers. I mean, sure, there's ignorant questions, but being ignorant isn't something to be ashamed of if you're willing to learn. Being willfully obtuse is."

Helen takes a sip of beer and while she notices the look, she doesn't do much to acknowledge it.

"Never had much of a choice in it, but it depends on the perspective. English has its own nooks and crannies that make it a bitch to learn, really. But yeah, languages take folks who're proficient to make it easier and a lot of time, too. Depends on how much you can spare to invest into it, though. "Music... Yeah, why not. You got any all-time favourites ?"

She chuckles, finishes the beer and orders another.

Sorry for the delay !

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes

-1 Vitae Blush of Life, 

+1
    SL
    PRE

Smiling with a nod, “Your parents sound very wise, and I agree with them.” There was always a chance to learn from others mistakes, especially in their world. An eyebrow was arched in amusement, “I suppose we do. Personally, I enjoy the stories of others. You gain an insight into who they are and how they operate. Not to mention there might be a bit of information tucked away that can save you one day.” It’s why she listened. “My father taught me, slightly, different lessons, though most have come from experiencing life. I’m usually open to sharing my own mistakes to show others that no one is above error and no one is ever too old to learn.” A wink. Cause, she was old.

“Yes and no. I think one needs more than great statistics, sales numbers or success rate to be attractive to someone. Sure, success is good, it helps provide a more comfortable life. But it isn’t the be all end all. Some can have it all, and not be content. Some need success and numbers to feel good about themselves and feel value.” Shrugging, “It’s bullshit if you ask me. What good are all those graphs and statistics if you’re bored and hate it?” then it’s just a huge waste of time.

Another nod, “I try and encourage questions in those around me. But the problem I’ve found is some lack the ability to ask a question respectfully.” Oh that pissed her off.

“Been thinking of diving into learning another language. Haven’t decided which one yet, but I think it’ll be nice to have a third language. You said you know Russian, is that one you would recommend?” truly curious.

“Personally, I’m fond of classical music, specifically piano music. But I’ve been branching out, going out to clubs with live music and experiencing other types of music. Some of it has been, well, not really that good Though I have found some good live jazz bars.” Laughing, “But it’s been fun. What about you?”

Helen Kingsley
    Helen Kingsley Scenes

NOS
    PRE

"True, you never know what those tidbits are good for until they come in handy. Or not. But even if not, you still get the fuinnies or sillies, so no time wasted. There's always been some controversy about the amount of truth in stories for educational purposes, but I've always thought, as long as you don't go overboard, some embellishment to get the point across isn't that bad."

She nods in agreement.

"Habits for success. Once folks fear fucking up and admitting to it enough, things go downhill fast.

The way becomes the goal, I guess. Goalposts move or get moved, and once you only know people working at the same company and notice you spend most of your time at work anyway... might as well go all the way. Or we're talking the sort of assholes who aren't content to win, no, the other guys must lose. I think the worst is getting sucked into that and grow to hate a thing you used to love and only carry through it all because you're so used to th stuff you got, you don't want to part with it."

Which is why Helen travels light, most of the time.

"It's an art form, some folks are good at it, some aren't but I guess it also depends a lot on what both sides see as 'respectful' and how they think that respect should be distributed. Lots of people today think about the respect they think they deserve first and base the respect they display or withhold on whether they feel respected enough. Which I guess isn#t kind of how it works, but then, they don't learn it like people used to."

Would she recommend Russian ? A good question... A very good question...

"It's useful, sure, but I guess some sounds and constructions take getting used to. It also has a pretty different alphabet and there's some small stuff that makes it different from learning English, but I don't really know enough Italian to say if it's easier or harder.. If that doesn't scare you and you like a challenge and a change of pace, I'd say go for it.

I try to be diverse with things, it's mostly on a case by case basis, although I bounce back to 50s to early 90s a lot these days. They had some great storytellers back then, it's something of a lost art I feel sometimes."

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes

-1 Vitae Blush of Life, 

+1
    SL
    PRE

A hint of a smirk and nod, “This is true. It’s a delicate art form in a way. Add too much and no one believes you, add too little and there is nothing to gain.” She always tried to stick with the facts.

“Ok, I can see the logic in that.” She could admit that. “Though to be frank, it’s why I avoided getting into any of the local businesses at first. Weighed my options before going with what fit what I wanted. I’m not about to spend any amount of time with a business I hate. Seems like a waste of my time, even if I’ve invested.” The Invictus was still, technically, new to her.

“Oh, you don’t need to tell me that twice. There is a base line of respect, and everyone is due it in my opinion. But beyond that, it’s something you earn, not simply given to you because of who you are. I’ve come across quite a few who have had difficulties with that. Sure, we’re family, but you need to earn what you want like everyone else.” No free rides in her world. “There does seem to be some general, basic knowledge and teachings that are left out these days.” Especially in the Kindred world.

A soft chuckle as she listened. “Fair enough. And I’m always down for a good challenge.” She was a Savage who relished in something new. “I’ll either fail, or have fun trying to learn, so a win win.” Failure didn’t scare her.

Nodding, “A good way to put it, a lost art. Music has changed dramatically over the years and centuries. Though we wouldn’t have what we have today, without the base provided by earlier decades. Perhaps it’s why I’m drawn to classical; it has depth modern music lacks. Or I could be an old soul trapped in a young body.” Laughing, “But the music from the 50’s has some good stuff.”

Helen Kingsley
    Helen Kingsley Scenes

NOS
    PRE

"And thats where other folks differ, who get involved as soon as they can make some money. Perhaps even by making sure they don't have anything to do with it, if they dont like it, as long as the profit comes, all's good for them. Make great bosses when evrything runs smooth or they got competent underlings and shitty bosses when things go wrong."

The worst ones, in her humble opinion. She doesn't elaborte on the topic of respect a lot, after all, it looks like they're pretty much on the same page on that topic.

"I guess when people aren't allowed to fail, it inflates their opinion of their skills and hence, their impression of how much respect they are due. Everybody wants to lead, nobody wants to follow. Cult of self, if you want.

Win-win is good. You need anything with that, let me know."

She nods. A lost art indeed.

"Classical's too stereotypically cultured for me, really. Makes me feel like I have to have a butler. Good thing's the 60s and 70s built on the good stuff to make more good stuff. Me, I'm pretty fond of Wilson Pickett and some of the things from that period. 80s is also good, but you don't want to see my driving when I listen to that." she grins.

Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread