Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

PrP - BaF - Sermon from the Pulpit

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last

Jacobs, worse for wear, scans the room as the assembled kindred speak to him. He completely ignores Milton's attempt at talking him down, but his eyes stand on Helen as she speaks.

3 successes

For the briefest moment, it looks as if Helen's attempt at persuading Jacobs to be helpful will fall on deaf ears. However, after a small stare down, Jacobs takes the seat across of Conner and accepts the offering. He seems hesitant but brings the notepad to his lips and some of the hunger in his gaze vanishes. His mouth opens as if to speak, but he closes it quickly. However, with Conner's assistance, any trepidation remaining after Helen's speech sheds away.

"The Murders and message were me." The man says with a sigh. "The doctors told me I would die, there was nothing they could do... so I went home instead of spending my last days in the hospital. I had decided to take a walk to clear my head, when a man came up to me with fliers. They were for a faith healer... a man named Cyrus. Sounds crazy, I know, but when you've lost all hope any chance at a cure is worth trying. I went to the warehouse he'd claimed as his 'church' expecting it to be a quick cash grab, but when he called me up on stage... I could just feel that something was different about him. He called the man with the fliers up, cut the man's wrist, looked me in the eye, and told me to drink... and I had no choice but to." He looks around the room once more. "When I woke up, I felt whole again, better than I had in a long time; and hungry... so very hungry. He sent me to make those kills, told me I could drink my fill as long as I saved enough for the message. He told me how I could cover up my involvement from the humans, but apparently it wasn't enough." He falls quiet for a moment. "I never wanted to kill those folks... they were my friends."

2. Likes BoxingUnicorn, pisces liked this post

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

From his position behind Conner, Milton watches Jacobs make his confession.

The creature is pathetic. An object lesson in why the creation of wayward childer without permission is forbidden in their society.

Still, the Lord does not speak. He's already failed one oratorical gambit. No need to add to his losing record. Especially when Helen and Conner seem to have the situation well in hand.

Instead, Milton keeps his unblinking eyes on the poor man. In case he should need to...apply further pressure.

As the tale of woe unfolds, he watches for telltale signs of fraudulence or lies.

Is he lying? 2 successes
    Health: Vitae: WP: BP: 1

4. Likes BoxingUnicorn, pisces liked this post
    Helen Kingsley
    Helen Kingsley Scenes

Blush!, 

NOS
    PRE

Say what you want about Wells, he has his stuff down pat. Even if Helen isn't too sure about the reliquary thingy and whether Jacobs should trust it, but then, that's none of her business as she reminds herself. As is, jacobs sits down and Jacobs sits down and accepts the offering, either which ways, it looks like the situation has been defused somewhat for the time being. There's a little pang of wounded ego as Jacobs states that it was indeed him who killed the people and placed the 'mural', but she passes it off as keeping the option on the table when everyone was jumping at Jacobs quickly. Sort of like a devils advocate or so. That takes a lot of the sting out of it.

How to proceed from here ? Not technically, that's way easy, but with the guy at hand. She doesn't really se it as her job to preach in this crowd and it also might feel a little counterproductive...Still, it look like she's settled into the job of the guy with the hard truths and that stuffs way more down her alley. Even though she's not too sure what to make of Jacobs' confession, especially some of the details...

1 success

As is, she'll leave the main stage with the important questions to the other folks and hang back to chime in if people forget some important stuffs. As is, she closes in on Jacobs and gives him a reassuring pat on the shoulder, before getting back to hr place at the kitchn wall, but she keeps an eye on Jacobs.

Nosferatu Curse: The vibe that that shadow is not doing as a shadow does as soon as you're not looking directly at it.

6. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

+1
    SL
    PRE

Quinn listened and felt her duty to bring this Kindred in for his crimes, and yet there were more Kindred involved. So not quite so fast. She was keenly aware of what justice demanded. She would bring him to meet the Prince, but he wouldn't face her justice alone. His sire and the one perpetuating this business would be right along side of him. Perhaps Alessandra would spare Jacobs, given what was done to him, and what he did out of ignorance. She tended to doubt it though.

As he sat down, Quinn held up the wall, so to speak. Watching and waiting, and finally piping up softly. "Mr. Jacobs, do you have a way of contacting Cyrus and the man with the flyers whose blood you drank?" She didn't use the proper words for those people, as Jacob's sudden understanding of Kindred terms would look suspicious to those using him like a puppet. "Or are you due to check in with them soon?" She looked over at Conner, and arched a brow giving him a little nod to continue this line of questioning to the obvious. What does the scripture have to do with this, and if there were more of them. As Head of the Church officially, this was his part of the mystery solve.

8. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

HP: 0/7 [7 Bash]
    WP: 0/2
    Vitae: 2/6

Equipment: Reinforced Jacket, Broadsword, Messenger Bag (flashlight, pen, notepad, binoculars, duct tape), Phone, Wallet ($50 cash)
    Combat Stats

Def: 3 (Dex; Tonfa +1)
    Armor: 1/0 (Reinforced Clothing)
    Initiative: 4
    Speed: 9

PRE

Conner watches with satisfaction as the Reliquary vanishes into dust, its contents dispersed into Mr. Jacobs' hungry stomach. There's a sense of pride as his Blood Gifts are put on display, the Lancea's power brought to light in this Domain after so long absent. So far so good.

The answer is simple, and given with honesty Conner hadn't expected given the man's background and hostile entrance. But Conner knew well the clarity of desperate men. From both ends. And then there are names and details given: 'Cyrus', a warehouse where faith healers peddled forbidden gifts. Treason! Apostacy! The righteous anger is tempered by sympathy for Mr. Jacob's condition. Conner stands, calling upon the gifts of Clan Mekhet to maybe see any concealed emotion...
    failure

But Conner's heart isn't in the effort. This guy needs help, not accusations. "Thank you for your honesty, Mr. Jacobs. The first step to redemption is repentance. But next there must be action. This Cyrus, whoever he is, has put our community at risk with his grandstanding. And he's shown no care for you, though it's his responsibility to do so." Conner's voice and demeanor is briefly wreathed in anger, as the mention of the neglectful Sire clearly touches a nerve. "If nothing else, Cyrus and those who work with him should be made aware of the consequences of their actions." The anger softens just a bit; insistent eyes peer into Mr. Jacobs'. "Has Cyrus or this other man attempted to make contact with you? Or have you heard of their movement elsewhere in the city?" Quinn's deference in the moment is appreciated; this was Conner's primary responsibility.

As for the rest. "I can't promise you that this life will be any easier. But if you are truly sorry about these murders, then you will need to accept guidance. Max has tried to mentor you and you've rebuffed him. Maybe it's time to show a little humility and accept some advice from someone with more experience." Or was there another avenue? "There is a very real possibility that your recklessness, if brought to light, may result in you being exiled from this city. I can't compel you to accept any offer, but if you were to join the Lancea Sanctum then I could offer you safe haven in exchange for monitored service and mentorship."
    3 successes

Conner hopes Mr. Jacobs will accept his offer. He's positive few others in the Domain would be so lenient after such reckless actions.

PRP Stats: In Minisheet

10. Likes pisces liked this post

Eyes cut to Quinn as she questions Jacobs, then back to Conner as he reiterates the questions. These are eyes of desperation, of a child who's just been caught with their hand in the cookie jar. Then comes an offer from Conner and the eyes light up for the briefest of moments.

1 success

"After everything I've done?" Jacobs says, directed toward Conner. "I would gladly serve you for a chance at absolution, however slim a chance that is." He looks around at those gathered. "I'm expecting to get a call from Cyrus soon, some new orders or something. I can contact one of you after the call comes, but I haven't seen the man with the fliers since I drank his blood. He may show when you confront Cyrus, but I don't know for sure." He stands with hands raised. "I have a pistol tucked into my waistband if someone wants to disarm me as a show of good faith from my end. I can't be locked up or Cyrus will think something's up."

[spolier=Helen and Milton] Milton and Helen believe this man is desperate, willing to tell the truth at a chance of leniency for his crimes committed under duress. There's no sign of deception in anything he says.[/spoiler]

I'm sorry for the delays folks, I have to cut this thread a little short entirely by my own issues. I'm going to give one more go around, but there will be no more posts from me in here unless I absolutely must. After the next post from Conner, I'll close and set up the confrontation thread. Once again, sorry for the delays.

12. Likes BoxingUnicorn, pisces liked this post

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

It's clear that Jacobs is desperate. In a terrifying situation with no way out.

Milton should feel pity. But he doesn't. Not really. Understanding, perhaps. Intellectually of course. But not pity.

He's not so far gone, however, as to see nothing wrong with that state of affairs. It's like the tingle of a missing limb, his inability to feel compassion toward this 'man.' It's gone and he knows it.

Worry about the state of your soul later, Milton.

Certainly. Because this poor wretch is now confessing to possessing a weapon. Perhaps he doesn't deserve pity after all.

Without taking his unblinking eyes off of Jacobs, and without speaking, Milton slowly circles the table until he's behind their guest.

Perception, 3 successes

Once he's directly behind Jacobs, Milton removes the gun from his waistband. It's clear by the way the Lord handles it, checking the safety and for chambered rounds, that he's familiar with firearms.

The temptation to turn this creature around, look him in the eyes, and instruct him not to betray their trust is strong. But Milton resists. It's clear this poor soul is ready to perform his duty without further inducement.

Instead, Milton steps back, announcing dryly: "Mr. Jacobs has been relieved of his burden."
    Health: Vitae: WP: BP: 1

14. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Helen Kingsley
    Helen Kingsley Scenes

Blush!, 

NOS
    PRE

Contacting folks, due to report... Lots of interesting questions and happenings, but somehow, she still feels they're missing the more important stuffs when they get down to the root of the issue.

"So Cyrus and the leaflet guy... We'll need to know what they look like. And possibly on how many others we should expect. Dunno how much time we have, but a leaflet and wheatever you can remember of the warehouse might also be good."

Under normal circumstance, a visit to the place would have been good too, but given the circumstance, not knowing how good Jacobs' informations are and possible time pressure, they might just have to go in blind... Helen doesn't like that thought. She tilts her head a little and thinks while Milton removes Jacobs' pistol.

"Now I don't know how we're going to go about this, but if this gun has accompanied Mr Jacobs everywhere he goes, removing it might tip those folks off that something's wrong."

She's not addressing anyone in particular, just thinking out loud.

Nosferatu Curse: The vibe that that shadow is not doing as a shadow does as soon as you're not looking directly at it.

16. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

+1
    SL
    PRE

Quinn watched and listened to the childe's further fretting, and he was expecting Cyrus soon. Though his sire hadn't been seen since he was embraced. Interesting and troubling. Which left that bastard open to embracing more poor souls to bolster their cause. Quinn's jaw clenched in anger for a moment. Embracing like this was disgusting. Such practices were outlawed long long ago due to just this sort of shit. The rigid structure of the Kindred was formed to keep those with the power to unleash unspeakable atrocity in line. This was a perfect example.

"I agree with Madame." Quinn said looking at Helen and winking slightly at her. She deliberately didn't use her name. Quinn leaned off the wall and approached the jittery Jacobs with a gentle expression on her face and body language. When it came to plying her gifts on others, Quinn always went with a soft hand, but a description wasn't as good as actually seeing the perp, and the fact that she could literally share these fucktards faces and SEE the places they had been meeting at could be important.

"Mr. Jacobs, its clear to us you were not working on your own weight of merit here. There is something you can show me." She extended a hand for him to take, like an invitation to dance. "I want you to think of the man who's blood you drank, I want you to pull his face up in your minds eye. See him as you did that night. The same with Cyrus, and walk back over meeting them in your mind. Like replaying your favorite movie in your head. I will see what you are thinking of, and going over the events in your mind, I may be able to understand certain things that you don't know are important."

18. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

HP: 0/7 [7 Bash]
    WP: 0/2
    Vitae: 2/6

Equipment: Reinforced Jacket, Broadsword, Messenger Bag (flashlight, pen, notepad, binoculars, duct tape), Phone, Wallet ($50 cash)
    Combat Stats

Def: 3 (Dex; Tonfa +1)
    Armor: 1/0 (Reinforced Clothing)
    Initiative: 4
    Speed: 9

PRE

Mr. Jacobs...relents. Thank God. "Thank you Mr. Jacobs. With your help we'll be making OUR home safer and preventing reckless apostates from causing more damage." Because this really was Mr. Jacob's home now; if he left he'd be at the mercy of whatever Domain he crawled into. Here he had some semblance of allies and protection. Conner's embrace had been more fortunate than most, even if his entry into Kindred society proper wasn't. "And thank you for your honesty regarding your weapon." He gives Milton a nod as the Ventrue disarms their informant with all the poise and accuracy as if he was collecting a file off a shelf. How well they dance to us. Perhaps there will be more opportunities to put others under our heel?

"We'll need to gather a few more pieces of information before you make that call, Mr. Jacobs. A description of Cyrus, any abilities he's shown to you, and any known followers will be helpful. A description of where this happened can go a long way too. Even just directions can help." If they have enough time to stake out the place and determine entry points, weaknesses, and such. ​Conner is relieved to hear Quinn offer her expertise in Auspex for their case. "She's right, Mr. Jacobs. She'll be able to read your memories as clearly as you would read a book. But without altering your mind or your faculties." They'll save the nastier mental powers for Cyrus. "After she's read your memories, and we've gone over any and all information you have to offer, we'll have you make the call and go to meet Cyrus. We'll return your weapon just before we reach the scene to avoid generating suspicion." He looks to Helen with a knowing glance, hoping this will appease both the need for Mr. Jacobs to show contrition and Helen's rightful fear of discovery.

"But just so we're clear, it will be best if you don't confront Cyrus directly. Once we engage, get yourself out of harm's way. Once Cyrus is dealt with..." Because with the four of them, how could they lose? "Then we'll be in a better place to discuss your future in Sacramento." It looks as if things are looking up. And the Lancea would have their day.

PRP Stats: In Minisheet

20. Likes pisces liked this post
Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread