Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Diamonds in the Dark Rough

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

HP: 0/7 [7 Bash]
    WP: 0/2
    Vitae: 2/6

Equipment: Reinforced Jacket, Broadsword, Messenger Bag (flashlight, pen, notepad, binoculars, duct tape), Phone, Wallet ($50 cash)
    Combat Stats

Def: 3 (Dex; Tonfa +1)
    Armor: 1/0 (Reinforced Clothing)
    Initiative: 4
    Speed: 9

PRE

Conner sees Bellemy's interest heighten as the subject of magic continues to deepen. The Man relishes the common interest; the Predator savors a possible pressure point in the curiosity of the other. "In my time studying under the Lancea Sanctum I've been exposed to a number of realities and deeper myths. The bottom line though is that Magic exists, as do those who can wield it. But what I've seen is that, by-and-large, the average human can only experience the fringes of magical power. It takes some form of transformation to experience magic in full; transformations like our own."Though it's one of the very few positives.

"I've toyed with the specifics of the reliquaries from time to time."
    He seems to find some familiarity with Bellemy's page idea. "The Dark Miracles of the Lancea have some uniform rules; the first of which is that the material components used are consumed irreparably. Turned to absolute dust. Using a book, for example, would consume the entire book, not just a single page." He appreciates Bellemy's willingness to think outside the box with all of this. "Think of the reliquary as absorbing the Vitae and holding it in a...pocket space?" He struggles to put meaningful terms to the mysteries of Blood Sorcery. "And then it's pulled out on command. I can store as much as I'm able, though it is possible to overtax myself if I'm not careful. I try not to go beyond a few units." He leans back a bit, a physical gesture to let Bellemy knew she had the floor. ​"Does that make sense?"

2. Likes liked this post

Bellemy Salem
    Presence
    (Dreadful)
    Fame
    (Author (Pen Name))
    Contact
    (Street)
    Contact
    (News Media)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Bellemy

Nosferatu Curse:

Phisically deformed head and mouth with shark-like teeth and a grotesquly emaciated body, too long nails and a palpable aura of inappropriateness.

FAME
    NOS
    PRE

Bellemy was rapt in the man's words as he explained the intricacies of magic in reality. The haunt took a moment to appreciate the path that lead to this conversation. If only I had known this years ago. I would not have wasted so much time with imposters. Dark thoughts salted the mood. But Bellemy was determined to enjoy this lesson. Whether Conner realized it or not, he had already taught Bellemy more than anyone had before about the topic and the haunt was eager to hear more.

"So you are saying, the power comes with the transformation? Yes that does seem to track with our experience. " The haunt said.

The conversation moved into the more specific depth of magical nuance. The haunt was following along with Conner's descriptions of how it worked. Bellemy was emboldened by the understanding and said "That is a shame, that a book would be considered one, and so too is a page. I did have the thought of an enchanted dictionary with a thousand pages, each page containing a portable vitae source. But alas it is not to be."

When Conner gave an example of the pocket dimension Bellemy wore a broad smile. The Haunt could not contain the pop culture reference and blurted out "It's bigger on the inside!" immediately the haunt affected a sheepish look and followed the statement up with "My apologies, I couldn't help it." though the hint of a smile remained.

Curse: See Minisheet

4. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Equipment: Reinforced Jacket, Broadsword, Messenger Bag (flashlight, pen, notepad, binoculars, duct tape), Phone, Wallet ($50 cash)
    Combat Stats

PRE

The outburst causes the Shadow to pause for several seconds. And then he...smiles. And laughs. An honest to God laugh. "Yes! Very much like that. I'm pleasantly surprised by the reference, Bellemy." Even the nagging influence of Bellemy's curse and his own predatory frustration couldn't smother the human desire to laugh at shared silly experience. "Are you a big sci-fi fan?"

"There have been many across the Lancea Sanctum's history who have sought to...tamper with the Dark Miracles. I've studied select journals that were not deemed outright apostacy thanks to my Sire, who had collected them on her travels." You mean 'targets'. "Many Rituals have been born through experimentation, such as converting Vitae into armor or weapons. But our powers pale in comparison to proper spellcasters. Those who are transformed not by the curse of Kindred, but by the raw exposure to magic itself." His voice gets quieter, as if afraid of listening ears. Or maybe because his topic carries a great weight. "Those legends you talked about earlier, many of them have some root in what we know to be reality. People who, one way or another, were transformed. Men and women powerful enough to believe themselves to be gods. And for others to believe them." He leans back in his chair. "One of the tenants of the Lancea Sanctum is that humans are neither tools nor friends. There are those out in the world, Kindred and otherwise, who would disagree. Who would think they have a right to extend dominion over Man. The Lancea would disagree." He looks up at her again, taking in the strange, alluring contrast of sharklike teeth and bright, intelligent eyes. "I'm curious. What do you believe is Kindred's relationship to Man?" He wasn't sure of Bellemy's Covenant allegiance, so maybe this was a way of searching for it? Maybe the Shadow was genuinely curious?

Bellemy Salem
    Presence
    (Dreadful)
    Fame
    (Author (Pen Name))
    Contact
    (Street)
    Contact
    (News Media)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Bellemy

Nosferatu Curse:

Phisically deformed head and mouth with shark-like teeth and a grotesquly emaciated body, too long nails and a palpable aura of inappropriateness.

FAME
    NOS
    PRE

Bellemy brightened at the shadows laughter. A creature such as this was aptly aware of the difference between being laughed at and laughed with. Conner did not seem to be laughing AT the haunt and so Bellemy felt joy. [color]"I have been known to dabble in the genre."[/color] The creature said. "Escapism was a major part of my life before the, well you know."

Bellemy sat listening intently to Conner. The haunt was truly engaged in his words. Concepts that had only existed in periphery were being exposed and venerated. If what Conner believes as true is, the Lancea Sanctum is formidable indeed.
    Then he spoke of other's who were not kindred who were changed by magic. This idea had never even crossed Bellemy's mind before today and seeds of worry sprouted amid the excitement.

Connor asked a question. It was one that the haunt did not truly consider before today. After a moment of contemplation Bellemy replied. "Well, Humans are important. They could be thought of as the very essence of our existence. Without them we have no sustenance. We cannot propagate our species, We get our technology from them, our creature comforts are theirs, in short we cannot survive without them. I suppose we could consider the relationship symbiotic." Bellemy waited to see where Conner was going on this thought.

7. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Combat Stats

PRE

Escapism...

Conner knew the concept well. "You and me both." The Shadow's smile turns a bit somber as he thinks of the lengths he's taken to forget, or simply to run away from things he couldn't bear facing at times. "There's always the desire to look beyond what we see in the moment."

He listens to Bellemy's words, taking them in and reading that, at least on the surface, Bellemy genuinely believes what she's saying. A refreshing honesty. "That I think is something the Lancea Sanctum, at least in its more extreme elements, tends to forget. We cannot completely divorce ourselves from humanity; we still look and think and feel in many ways like we did when we were fully human. I would even argue we still have a soul just as humans do. There is a debt owed to God's favored creations." ​Here he stops, shaking his head with a rueful smile. "But I'm getting a little deep into Lancea theology. Suffice to say, I believe your talk of symbiosis is absolutely correct. We do depend on humanity for our sustenance and our night-to-night lives. And, in our own way, our hunger and desire for life molds us into careful shepherds of Man."

The conversation, and Bellemy's interest, is making Conner a bit bolder. He shoves down the nauseating sensation from being so close to the Haunt's aura and looks back at his guest. "If you don't mind my asking then, Bellemy; what do you think is the role of religion amongst Vampire-kind? I'm familiar with the Carthians as a political entity, but I've never really heard what their members believe by-and-large. Or are you each left with your own personal beliefs?"

Bellemy Salem
    Presence
    (Dreadful)
    Fame
    (Author (Pen Name))
    Contact
    (Street)
    Contact
    (News Media)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Bellemy

Nosferatu Curse:

FAME
    NOS
    PRE

Bellemy listened to Conner with interest. It was good that they had so quickly found common ground. Having that may help relieve the sting of any differing opinions should they arise. Bellemy considered the man's words. He spoke of humans and a soul and the haunt became intent on actually listening instead of falling back on the old counter apologetics. Maybe I will learn something I did not while I was mortal. The creature thought.

There was a pause as Bellemy clearly thought about what to say. Slowly a replay came "In my life I had never had reason to believe in a soul or a god for that matter. That said, I also didn't believe in vampires, and here we are. At this point in my existence, I would consider myself an athiest with an open mind."

There was another long pause as Bellemy considered how to answer Conner's question finally settling on "I personally have never held much use for religion as a whole, among kindred or otherwise. I see the power and benefit of it, I see how ones needs can be met. Instant community of like minded people. Inclusion. None of that ever appealed to me. There was a pause before Bellemy tackled the second part. Since Conner had been so forward with his own Covenant Bellemy decided to do likewise. It wasn't like anything was a secret. "Carthians first priority is equality and tolerance. The movement tends to attract people from all walks of life, by design. Religious ideology would be as varied as the people themselves. In this domain we haven't even broached the subject of religion so I wouldn't even be able to tell you what the others believe."

We are over the time but I am enjoying the conversation. Should we start a new thread? or would you prefer to end it?

10. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Combat Stats

PRE

Conner listens intently, his expression morphing from warm humor to one of focus. He waits a moment after Bellemy finishes, seems primed to answer, but then there's the sound of a cellphone buzzing. Conner draws his phone and looks at the screen.

"I'm afraid it looks like I've got an appointment to keep."
    He rises to show Bellemy to the apartment entrance, handing her a card with his number as he does. "But please keep in touch Ms. Bellemy, I look forward to continuing this conversation when I'm not quite as occupied."

This would not be the first talk between the Shadow and the Haunt. Perhaps there would be more to learn from each other?

I'm good to wrap up here; that way we can leave more conversations in the future! Thanks for such a fun Scene!

12. Likes liked this post
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
Closed Thread