"A friend of mine has been tracking a group of Seers crossing the border into California. He... asked me to relay the message to you."

"I see. When do I leave?"

"Immediately. They know there's only you coming, but any help will do. Besides.... any student of mine is worth five others. And.... stay safe, Phoenyx. And call your parents. Before you leave."

There was a warmth not often seen in her reply.

"Yes, Sensei."

The night ride through the bitter Autumn. The meeting of Arrows. The Scrying. The Waiting. The setting of traps.

The weeks of hunting, of cat-and-mouse.

At night they traded stories, played simple games. It was strange that there were people ten, twenty years her senior that had been Arrows a fraction of her experience. Some had not even seen combat before. They stared agape as she recounted the tales of her own experience - the spirit-spider, the Seer Temple Raid, the Astral Dive.

She was given four, alongside the other First Talon, Rachet, and the commander, Dusk. Fifteen Arrows. It was more than she had seen in her life. It was hard to trust, but the orders came from someone she did.

Suddenly the whole forest was ablaze.

Cloaked sigils speading fires like the raging flames of hell itself. The senses of magic going mad as spells filled the air of friend and foe alike.

Blades. Blood. Screams. Death.

Gunfire. Roars. Sigils.

Unweaving. Unmaking.

Obliterating.

In the end half of her mages survived. One was bisected by a portal while Phoenyx was fighting for her life. He was younger than she was. The other had been with the Order less than a year. Lived his life in law enforcement before his Awakening. One minute alive, the next dead. Turning off everything that kept the body alive. Ripped through his defenses like tinfoil.

She had shrouded the Seer in fire for that. It wasn't necessary, and he has countered it anyway.... leaving the opening for her to place three bullets square in his chest. It was the loss of control she regretted... The anger...

Phoenyx soaked in a hot bath, her head resting on the side as she numbly stared into space.

Four Arrows had been lost. They had killed seven Seers. She had killed two herself.

One had escaped.

There were people working to cover up the explosions even now. It had been a nasty ritual.

When one cannot make out one's enemy for a forest.... destroy the forest. They hadn't seen it coming. She had pushed her team through, meaning they survived the blast.... only to become the vanguard of the actual fight. It hadn't been the plan. But again, making the right choices at the time, with the information at hand, still could go badly.

They had chosen her to lead them. She had saved them, only to have the enemy at their throats.

She splashed the water, wiping the hint of salty tears that crept out.

"Don't blame yourself. You made the right calls. Sometimes that still means losing lives."

The scarlet motorcycle tore throught the late autumn chill, towards Sacramento, the Circle, and home.

"I have killed. And will again, if I have to."

The thoughts of what she said so long ago came as a bitter memory.

It didn't get easier, especially with loosing people, good people. She had to keep hoping that the cause was just, and that in removing those lives many more would be spared.

The justification of the Warrior.