Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Dark Alliance: Issue 0

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

HP: 0/7 [7 Bash]
    WP: 0/2
    Vitae: 2/6

Equipment: Reinforced Jacket, Broadsword, Messenger Bag (flashlight, pen, notepad, binoculars, duct tape), Phone, Wallet ($50 cash)
    Combat Stats

Def: 3 (Dex; Tonfa +1)
    Armor: 1/0 (Reinforced Clothing)
    Initiative: 4
    Speed: 9

PRE

Conner had reserved an office in Elysium, but left the setup fairly simple. Table and chairs, specifically with two chairs facing across either side of the table. The predator within grumbled at being enclosed with another monster on the way. This will never work. Better to use this time to set a trap, Laws be damned! No, not here. Not now. That's not what this is about. God help him, he was trying to be better.

Conner stands between the office door and the table holding a brown, leather laptop bag. He's dressed in Covenant colors of blue and green with his Lancea ring clearly visible. Tonight he would be meeting the local Hierophant to discuss the present and future relationship between the Lancea Sanctum and the Circle of the Crone. The Shadow whispers a prayer. "God, let me see her as your Creation, not a monster. Shield us from the darts of the evil one. And may this be the beginning of real peace between us here." With any luck, future conflicts could be settled...or at least predicted...here and now.
    Mable Wood

Warden of the Sacred Grove
    Presence
    (girl next door)
    Striking Looks
    (Wholesome)
    Mable Wood

+1
    SL
    PRE

Mable dressed in a gray suit and heels for her meeting with Conner.

She headed into Elysium and walked over to the meeting rooms. She couldn't feel his beast but she was sure he could feel hers.

What was this meeting going to be like? Was he waiting to attack her? She needed to make sure she wasn't taken advantage of... She opened the door with a bright smile on her face.

"Good evening. I hope you are well." She greeted the professional looking man, not the beast.

3. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Equipment: Reinforced Jacket, Broadsword, Messenger Bag (flashlight, pen, notepad, binoculars, duct tape), Phone, Wallet ($50 cash)
    Combat Stats

PRE

Mabel's presence was expected, but there was still that jolt of ice-cold shock of rundammitshe'souttogetyou. "I am, thank you Mable." Again, trying to put the person before the monster. Courtesy given was courtesy hoped for. He gestures to the chair across the table from his own. "Please, have a seat." And so Conner sits in his own chair, pulling a couple of durable stock sheets of paper and a number of pens. The papers were blank. "I want to thank you again for your willingness to meet like this. What I'd like to accomplish here is hopefully dispel any fears you or I may have about each other, and then work towards setting a standard of coexistence between us, regardless of who enters our respective folds." He gestures to the papers. "To that end, I've brought some paper in case having our agreements in writing would help." He sets both hands together, fingers pressed to hopefully dispel some of his nerves. "With that said, let's start with you; what would you like to get out of this, and what worries to you have about me or the Lancea?"

Presence
    (girl next door)
    Striking Looks
    (Wholesome)
    Mable Wood

+1
    SL
    PRE

Mable sat down. And listened. "Dispelling fears is a great start. I want to discuss stereo types and respond to those."

She thought a moment. "And having an agreement of how we behave toward each others groups and create a lack of conflict with each other and our groups. I believe we have both groups represented and our traditions without impeding on the others. Kinda like when there is Christmas and Hanukkah and both can coexist peacefully. "

"As far as worries about you? Frankly, I am worried that you want to take advantage of my kind nature. So I guess I could remind you that while I am kind I am not weak."

6. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Combat Stats

PRE

So far so good...

It sounded like he and Mable were on the same page. The likeness between Christmas and Hanukkah seemed a bit flippant, but there was merit to it.

Petulant pagan! The predator flared in Conner's gut in response to a perceived threat. Still, Conner didn't answer its urge. That was why they were here. "I've heard of your martial prowess, Mable. Priscus Durant speaks highly of you as one who 'carries a big fucking stick'." God bless Quinn and her gift of bluntness. "I've seen the results of an ex-Valkyryja gone rampant, and I can only imagine you're comparable. Rest assured, your strength is known and respected." Credit where credit was due, Conner was a competent fighter at best.

The opening being given for response, Conner takes it.
    "While we're on the subject, I believe I could voice the same worries to you. You have seniority over me in the Domain, and you're clearly stronger. What's stopping you from bullying me around if it earns you points with the Court?" He leans back in his chair, hoping to ease Mable with his body language. "I'm simply speaking as devil's advocate. I agree there should at the very least be some form of non-aggression aspect of our alliance." He waits to hear Mable's reaction, to see if the next step of the agreement can take hold...

Presence
    (girl next door)
    Striking Looks
    (Wholesome)
    Mable Wood

+1
    SL
    PRE

"The Priscus is wonderful, isn't she? I'm so glad she ended up in this domain." At least people know she's not a complete push over. Good.

Then Mable laughed a delighted lilting laugh. "Since you have been here, have you even seen a slightest inclination from me trying to earn points in Court? I am sure you have thoroughly asked about me. I am the complete opposite of most everyone else in court, I don't seek political favor...ever. I want to be of use to the domain. But I am very content with my small niche within the domain." her mirth was evident. And she was very forth coming with her lack of political ambition.

"Seriously, my greatest ambition is based on hanging onto the threads of humanity by helping others and protecting the domain. However, it has been pointed out to me on many occasions that I do need to be aware of the political stuff and that others reaaaallly believe in their titles and labels." She gave her head a little shake, no matter what title she has held and not held... she still did the same things. "Sorry. I tend to be over honest at times. But this meeting was designed for us to get to know each other better. On that topic... What are your political ambitions?"

9. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Combat Stats

PRE

The predator sizzles in frustration. This smiling, screeching THING can't possibly be honest here. It must be some scheme, using her damned 'Pollyana' mystique to blind the eyes. Conner trusted the sensation as a good thing; it meant he was getting somewhere. "In that, I think we are in agreement. I believe that part of the issue many have with the Lancea Sanctum is when it aims for martial or political dominance. History, both mortal and otherwise, has taught that religion and state are best kept separate." He nods in response to Mabel's mission statement. "That's good. Not many Kindred would aspire to such a goal, honestly or no. And I'm there with you; the machinations of the Court are a headache, but as long as we aspire to stay out of politics we do have to do our due diligence of respecting those within it." There's a darkly humorous chuckle. "Better them than us, eh?"

On the subject of political goals, Conner thinks for a moment. He's had some extra time to think on such things. "I want to see the Lancea Sanctum secure, of course. It's been a long time since there's been a constant presence in Sacramento. Beyond that, I would like to see the Covenant able to protect Kindred from abuses of power inside and out. To help hold those in the Domain accountable." He takes an extended breath. "I worry about the intentions of other Kindred; but I've since learned that I can't be expected to police the morality of a single Covenant, let alone an entire Domain. It's exhausting, and it's arrogant." A stinging rebuke towards himself more than anything else. "But I do want the Lancea to perform its due office: to hold the Domain to a standard and address when that standard is broken." He allows a wave of mental fatigue to pull him back into a relaxed position in his chair. "So that's where I stand, I suppose. Like you said, I want to help people. I just need to learn to step back and let a higher power handle judgement."

Presence
    (girl next door)
    Striking Looks
    (Wholesome)
    Mable Wood

+1
    SL
    PRE

Did he really agree with her? Or was he placating her? At this point it didn't matter, it wouldn't change how she acted or reacted. "I think with a solid leader in place you are well on your way to making the Lancea secure within the domain."

"I believe the problem , for all covenants, it trying to force membership to rise. I think past leaders have tried to take a cult like approach where they have convinced people to join their covenant by showing they are the only ones who care about them and can solve their problems. Then they make others feel like they are excluded making the people on the outside feel like they are missing something..."Mable let the thought trail off.

"I know at one time the Ordo did that. And I know that the Circle did that. I believe the past Lancea were more just so exclusive and judgmental that it had a similar effect. The Invictus are well they are their own special breed. I believe that leaves the Carthian. We have some now in the domain. This domain, like many others, tends to make being a carthian difficult to do. What are your thoughts about involving them eventually in out pact? I realize they are more political then religious. But it is a thing to think about since we were willing to include the sciency people of the Ordo."

Letting a higher power handle it, that sounded nice. She decided not to mention the arrogant bit because that was her first impression of him and he was trying to not be arrogant. "What do you consider the due office that the Lancea should perform? And what is the standard you expect others to adhere to? If we could agree to standards perhaps we could write it up as a proposal and present it to the Prince? Or get other covenant leaders to sign off on it and then present it. I am sure she will agree if it means less drama with in the domain."

12. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Combat Stats

PRE

The fact that Mable was distancing herself from the Circle's 'previous' tactics for recruitment encouraged the Shadow. Though the darker side of him considers it a bluff. An attempt to escape judgement.

"That perspective of recruitment holds little potential for long-term fruit in my opinion. Better to let others choose because they believe it to be the right thing, not because one Covenant or the other can offer some hidden blessings." He'd said as much to JC; he'd say as much to anyone. "This is actually related to one of the terms I'd like to consider for our agreement: free will recruitment; that we wouldn't use coercion or bullying to acquire Kindred or human members." Which might be unnecessary, at least as long as Mable is in charge.

"I hadn't considered the Carthians, to be honest. Though I imagine the only difficulty they'd find would be an
    overt Invictus influence to oppose."
    There's a bitter smirk on Conner's face. "I'd mainly intended this as an alliance between the more mystically inclined groups within the Domain, but perhaps having a more 'worldly' influence might be beneficial in the long run." Or a pack of witch hunters, in a pinch.

Conner briefly ponders his words again, clearly wanting to be careful. "As I understand and believe, the Lancea Sanctum's purpose from Longinus himself was to remind Kindred of their role in Creation: as divine predators. Mankind is to be protected, but not coddled; herded, but not tortured. Stepping outside of that role creates problems for all sides. That also creates a necessary balance between Kindred, that we shouldn't abuse our own kind and in doing so play god." He stops to make sure if Mable has any questions, then goes on if none arise. "The standards I would seek to uphold would mainly be focused on proper treatment of humanity, not abusing them as tools or toys, and preventing Kindred from abusing gifts of Blood against one another. The latter perhaps overlaps a bit with the Laws of Elysium, but I see no reason we shouldn't have an additional incentive to treat each other with respect." He strokes his chin lightly, a minute hunger in his eyes. "How do those terms sound? I'd certainly be open to putting them before the Prince." The ultimate say-so in Kindred culture, whatever anyone else said. Get the Prince on your side and you were guaranteed at least a fighting chance.

Presence
    (girl next door)
    Striking Looks
    (Wholesome)
    Mable Wood

+1
    SL
    PRE

Mable considers his words. He's saying all the right things. His beliefs align with her own. These are what she has intended all along. Not that her power is great but it must be what the great leaders have all felt when making peace agreements. The trust that each will uphold their side but knowing you have to be prepared in the case that they don't. The weight was a heavy one.

His bringing up creation brought the tenants to mind, "The two tenants for the Crone are Creation is Power and Tribulation brings Enlightenment. These can be interpreted in many ways." She pauses before continuing, "In the crone we have several different factions, all based from mythology. Each has a slightly different bent on the creation of Vampires. However, I believe they all have some similarities to the Lancea outlook you have brought up.”

She looks down for a moment in thought. She needed to not look into his all too intriguing eyes while she thinks. He was saying all the right things. It felt so easy to trust him but should it be? What was he hiding? Right now that didn’t matter. Right now they were on the same page. Maybe the unease was the prior warning she had of him. She needed to see for herself. She thought of Rebecca who she had decided to be loyal to even when others couldn’t trust her and that paid off.

She looks up. “I believe that is acceptable. No using unfair means to coerce others. They should have free will to choose their own paths. We can explain the options, however, I am sure like the Crone you folks do keep some things secret, the blessings, until the individual joins?”

“And as far as abusing each other with, umm anything really, I strongly try not to abuse anyone kine or kindred. Only when they have given me a just cause reason. As far as the kine go, I try to educate and bring awareness of the planet and how they can improve the environment.”
    Was there anything else? She couldn’t remember.

“I believe we should have something in writing to present to the Prince. I think she will be satisfied that we mean no harm and that we are working together to keep peace in the domain. Umm, about the Carthians… We should start with presenting our united front. I don’t think the Prince likes the carthians much, mainly because they have been trouble in the past and these new ones need to prove themselves. She has a point. We should watch and wait a bit.”

15. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread