Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Necessary conventions

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Presence
    (magnetic)
    Striking Looks
    (exotic)
    Distinctive Voice
    (low and textured)
    New identity
    (Wei Lin Carter)
    Wei Lin

+1
    SL
    +0.5
    DV
    PRE

Time waits for no man, Kindred or Kine. So Wei Lin didn't waste any time before contacting Milton to set up a meeting in one of the conference rooms of Elysium. They needed to discuss their plan of action without the danger of mortal ears overhearing.

Dressed in a simple black sheath dress, the Succubus settled into her seat waiting for the Lord and taking the moment to think over her idea as to how they should proceed.
    BP: 2

2. Likes Endymion liked this post

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

Milton arrives shortly after Wei Lin, still ahead of the appointed time. The Lord does not brook lateness.

He's dressed in one of his many, staid suits. This one is a light grey, paired with a blue tie and lavender shirt. While boring, his attire is obviously of high quality, well tailored, and spotlessly pressed. As is his wont, he is not counterfeiting life. His skin is pale, bloodless. His eyes are unblinking.

He carries a laptop bag in his left hand, and knocks at the door to the meeting room with his right, announcing his arrival.

"Good evening, Miss Wei Lin," Milton greets, sure to use her full name as she previously directed. He enters and shuts the door behind him, anxious to get the meeting underway. The press of her more potent Beast is evident, but he ignores the protests of his own Monster.

"Thank you for arranging this meeting. I trust you are well." He assumes a seat of his own, across from her. Extracts his laptop from the bag and sets it on the table, leaving it closed for the moment.
    Health: Vitae: WP: BP: 1

4. Likes liked this post

Presence
    (magnetic)
    Striking Looks
    (exotic)
    Distinctive Voice
    (low and textured)
    New identity
    (Wei Lin Carter)
    Wei Lin

+1
    SL
    +0.5
    DV
    PRE

"Mr. Northbridge," she greeted, her face a mask of polite smile hiding her Beast's desire to color his features blood red. The urge is quickly suppressed as she had much bigger fish to fry rather than picking petty fights with their allies.

"Let's leave the niceties for another night, shall we?"

Wei Lin settled her phone on the table, unlocked and the notes app open, ready to record anything of importance they might discuss.

"We both know why we are here. The factory." An intent gaze settled on Milton. "We need a way in, a way that would allow us to ask questions. Do you have one?"

She has an idea, sure, but there was always a desire to keep her bases covered, to assess her future partner in crime so to speak, if he was capable.

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

"As you wish," Milton replies with a little smile, bordering on a smirk. He opens his own laptop, tapping away for a moment. Clearly entering a password.

"I have two angles that may prove fruitful. And a third if all else fails." He folds his pale hands on the table in front of him, his computer forgotten for the moment.

"First, I can use my financial connections to provide us an excuse. Say, to spin a story that we represent potential investors who would like us to have a tour of the facility and the chance to speak with the employees as a preliminary to any further negotiation." This is his preferred approach, as it would have them treated as honored guests.

"Alternatively, we can attempt to use my leverage with the city to arrange a...site inspection. I'm sure this company receive some sort of tax incentive from the city," as is common practice for large business concerns. "I might be able to position us as...agents of the municipality, there for a periodic inspection." A small frown. "That, however, would cast us in an adversarial light from the start." Not a good way to initiate contact.

"Finally, and as a last resort, we can attempt to gain access using only our...native talents. I, for one, can be rather convincing."

He looks at her expectantly, eyes unblinking. Other than the movement of his lips, Milton has been utterly still throughout his discourse.

"Thoughts? Different approaches? Please, do tell." Let's see if there's an intellect to match that pretty face.

7. Likes liked this post

Presence
    (magnetic)
    Striking Looks
    (exotic)
    Distinctive Voice
    (low and textured)
    New identity
    (Wei Lin Carter)
    Wei Lin

+1
    SL
    +0.5
    DV
    PRE

She might have tried to match his keystrokes with the letters on a keyboard. A habit more than anything, and Wei Lin quickly averted her eyes to keep things civil.

Instead, she listened, noting both paths he suggested in bullet points on her phone. There was always the third one, of course, but she sensed a reluctance to use it, a feeling she shared. This was not the time to go skulking around when they had better options.

"While those would certainly get us inside, there is a problem," she clicked her nails on the table, frowning. "Both are far more focused on a place rather than people. Say, we come as investors. Do you honestly think any worker will tell us the truth about the attack if there is anything unsavory going on? They'd lose their job, and they know it. And their superiors will definitely not tell us a thing, even if they know it."

Turning it over in her head, she suddenly smirked.

"But we could divide and conquer." A plan formed in her head quickly. "If we go that way, say, you'll pose as an investor. One who expects to be paraded around, not bother with the workers and what they have to say. But his very stressed out overworked assistant," she pointed to herself, "would be much easier to talk to, no? And I am very good at catching people on lies."

"And you can dig into the higher-ups backgrounds that way."

Wei Lin leaned back in her chair, a calculating look set on Milton.

"My idea is to pose as journalists. Say we're looking into the attacks, suspecting foul play and that police is too lazy to do it themselves, play up the sympathetic card." Hopefully, he has more approachable face for either option. "The best lies are often those that based on truth."

9. Likes Endymion liked this post

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

Wei Lin's assessment is accurate, as much as he hates to admit it: Milton had focused on the place rather than the employees themselves.

"Very true..." he replies. "Perhaps I've been thinking about this incorrectly. The key here might be to find a way to access a list of their current employees and approach them separately. Off site, as it were. Using the journalist story you've provided..."

Milton unfolds his hand, rubs his chin in thought.

"I might be able to see if my connections at City Hall can be used to produce such a list. Or, if all else fails, we can attempt to infiltrate the facility and requisition it for ourselves..."

Bland, brown eyes fix themselves on the creature across from him. Milton waits to see what she may have to say.

Presence
    (magnetic)
    Striking Looks
    (exotic)
    Distinctive Voice
    (low and textured)
    New identity
    (Wei Lin Carter)
    Wei Lin

+1
    SL
    +0.5
    DV
    PRE

It felt good to be right. It felt even better to be recognised as such.

Wei Lin smirked, "That list would be helpful," her smirk faded, "but I think going over the factory is still worthwhile. We never know what exactly was the attraction here, particular people, or the particular people in the particular place."

She fell silent, considering.

"As long as not many workers, and especially our 'targets' see us out and about there, we might just have use for both of our ways. Get the information on the factory itself by yours, and see for more personal one with mine."

Inquisitive green met the brown, "What do you think?"

12. Likes Endymion liked this post

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

Milton studies Wei Lin at length while she speaks. His look is bland, but perhaps she sees the hint of cold calculation that's partially obscured (purposely hidden?) by that staid demeanor.

In any event and for his own part, Milton cedes to himself: She is not without intelligence. Though he isn't ready to speculate on the level of her intellect.

"Well, if we visit the facility before we perform our interviews, we can play it off as an investigative subterfuge should any of our interviewees inquire. A way to infiltrate the factory to uncover the truth," she can hear the pseudo-sarcastic capital T on truth. "Intrepid journalists that we are," he adds with a smirk.

"But I think you have something here. A two-pronged approach."

Another thoughtful silence. His pale lips are sealed in a prim line as he processes.

"I propose the following: I will perform my background research on the company first. Attempt to locate someone in my...circles, in a position to provide information on the factory's employees. And, in the same stroke, learn about their current business...and solvency. Perhaps spread the word that I represent a group of investors interested in backing their venture. Then, we make our visit under that cover. If we do not have a list of employees by that point, we will acquire one on site," he says this last bit casually, but with utmost conviction. "After our visit, we then begin tracking down employees for a little listening tour."

How would she take his proposal? He'll know soon enough.

In the meantime, he can't help himself. He's too curious, he has to ask: "Pardon my curiosity, but what is it that you do, Miss Wei Lin?" Because she's no vapid succubus, sipping idly off the populace. Of that, he's sure.

14. Likes liked this post

Presence
    (magnetic)
    Striking Looks
    (exotic)
    Distinctive Voice
    (low and textured)
    New identity
    (Wei Lin Carter)
    Wei Lin

+1
    SL
    +0.5
    DV
    PRE

Wei Lin is long familiar with being looked at. Stared, too. But there was something uncomfortable about it at this particular time, Northbridge's stare more suited for an autopsy rather than conversation however business-like it was. There was a childish urge to ask something along the lines of 'like what you see?'. A strong one, too.

"True. Or we can simply convince them that they don't have to even ask us that," she noted instead, a matching smirk on her lips. "Intrepid Kindred that we are."

The plan he proposed, that they have hatched, wonderfully cooperative for two Beasts in human skins, she liked. Aside from one problem, if one could call it that, "I think we have our plan of action. I do wish to be more helpful." It chafed to be so dependant on the other to get everything done. "Even if my own connections are all back in San Francisco, please, if I can do anything, let me know."

But the question. Wei Lin grinned, pleased to discover even a sliver of real emotion peeking out from the bland facade of his face.

"Oh, nothing much. I talk to people, I listen... I get to know them..." she stalled, of course she did, it was simply her way. "Their secrets. And then I sell them to interested parties. Whoever those might be." A little casual shrug.

"And I would assume... money is your thing? Counting, maybe." 'not having' is implied but not said. Is was only an impression, one never knows how big were the numbers in the accounts of somebody who lived as long as they did. Though, Milton felt young, by Kindred standards anyway.

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

Intrepid Kindred that we are... Milton's smile becomes a touch amused as she returns his riposte, "Indeed," he replies.

It seems their plans have been set. Very good.

Her concerns are noted. She seems conscientious, which Milton appreciates. "Please, Ms. Wei Lin. Your...talents will be essential to our efforts. Allow me to do the background work. You'll be taking the lead soon enough." After all, Milton is polite, manipulative, and (if necessary) dominating. But he's not charming. And he's well aware of that fact. Knowing one's weaknesses is a strength.

"A fascinating line of work..." Milton muses, marking her as both useful and dangerous in his mental rolodex. "Do you have a...legitimate front for your endeavors? Or are your services retained on an ad hoc, or consulting, basis?" A polite way to ask: are you, in the eyes of the Kine, a criminal?

A tight smile when she's guesses at his profession. "You are close enough. I operate a small consulting firm. Accounting and financial services. Largely private industry, though I've made inroads into the public sector since my relocation to the city." He says this last bit in an off-hand manner, but his connections with City Hall have been a major source of expansion in recent nights. "Should you ever need assistance in that regard, I'm always available." Never hurts to offer one's services.

17. Likes liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread