Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Facing Forward

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    Seneschal, Baroness Notary, Priscus of Nosferatu
    City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Obfuscate 2 Mask of Tranquility
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

Nosferatu curse: A voice that withered like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise

NOS
    PRE

"Knives are more practical, I agree. Yet I knew someone who rather enjoyed fencing. Do you know anyone who might offer to teach you the art? Madame Helen Kingsley is who I was thinking of."

Jennifer recalled the name readily.
    "I have found him to be stable. I will be checking in with him." It was something that was on her mind.

Jennifer smiled briefly. "Yes, she is. I think she utilizes what skills she has well. I was a bit surprised to see her separate from her Covenant.
    I am quite curious what choice her Grace shall make."

It certainly was going to be a choice that impacted the Domain.

Jennifer tilted her head slightly, registering the coy remark before righting herself and paying close attention.
    "This definitely seems to be a Gift that would be quite useful in many situations. Such as assisting in the investigations that have been occuring in the Domain. I am sure you realize that I do not like to use a hammer when more delicate resources can be brought to bear.
    Of course,"
    She nods agreeably. "- I understand that it should be rare to teach outside the Family. It was one of the first things I implored my Family about our own Gift."
    Nosferatu Curse: Jennifer's voice withers like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise.

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

Educated, scholarly, lawyer, scientist.
    Jack's outward demeanor and tone are a baseline of respectful and calculated.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Not really. I try not to approach mentors with such subjects unless I'm ready to invest the time to develop the art," He smiled at the offer of the name, "I appreciate your recommendation. I will keep it with high regard."

"Good," he said in earnest. "Keep me apprised as your opinion of him develops more." He still wasn't one hundred percent with him, but to be honest it was unlikely he'd ever get there with any kindred.

"It was an interesting decision for certain," he remarked. "Such change is not made lightly, or at least should not be made lightly. As someone who was once very interested in learning more of their work, I can't help but be insatiably curious about the reasons why someone would abandon it."

"I have seen many Pricii establish such rules to protect the value of each family's biggest bargaining chip," There was always an interest in learning family secrets. "Setting aside the pride and arrogance my family is quite famous for, I established the rule because it is frankly dangerous. With enough time, you can rewrite memories or make the most callous rival an amicable ally." He paused, considering her approach this evening, "That being said, how you've conducted yourself as Notary and how you carry yourself in general inspires me to at least consider an offer in exchange for learning our secrets, should you desire to make one."

Blood Hunt:

3. Likes liked this post
    City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

Nosferatu curse: A voice that withered like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise

NOS
    PRE

Jennifer could see the point of that. “That makes sense. I imagine that there are many presses on your time. And with the selection of Reeve imminent, perhaps not the most pressing priority.”
    “Very interested?” Jennifer plucked out, curious. “I have to admit, I would love to hear more about your decision to choose the Invictus over the Ordul.

Although I admit, I have some concern over the choice that she made. I know a bit about the emotional fall out from the blow out between the trio, having spoken to both Dirt Nap and Priscus Durant about it. Yet there is something that I am missing. From all accounts, Mr. Smith was passive aggressive and made a demand on Dirt Nap for Dirt Nap to demonstrate something, Dirt Nap knew not what Mr. Smith wanted. Mr. Smith was cross over Dirt Nap confiding that the emergence of his Family Blood had changed how he viewed Priscus Durant. Somehow Priscus Durant grew angry over that same topic, and I believe, quit over it – according to Dirt Nap.
    I have not pressed Priscus Durant on the subject. I mostly am concerned with perception around Priscus Durant. I believe she wanted the letters sent out to the Domain officials declaring herself a leader, and then this happened.”
    Jennifer shook her head slightly.
    "I do not want her to be seen in a negative light.
    I did pry on if the negative emotions between Dirt Nap and herself were very strong by inquiring if he was still a candidate for Deputy under her, should her desire to be made Reeve come to pass. She implied that she would not disqaulify Dirt Nap over the situation. I believe we would need a Deputy with some skill in the martial aspects of the role."

The Nosferatu was quiet for a moment, thinking about the information that Jack had provided. A puppeteer. She couldn’t lie to herself, she imagined that could have been useful against Erle. She recalled how she felt that she had leveled her Family’s Gift precisely, yet the Elder had not reacted as expected. Most unusual.
    “I would be very interested in learning your Family Gift. Yet I understand your reasoning. It is a sound decision not to allow such a powerful tool out of your Family’s control.” Out of his control, truly.
    “Yet I believe that I could be quite useful with such a tool at my command. I would be curious if you would be amenable to teaching me the Family Gift if I only used it for situations where one could not reach out to a member of the Ventrue for their expertise.”

Jennifer paused, looking to Jack for his reaction. It was not something she wanted to anger him over. Yet it would be quite helpful if she continued to assist in investigations as she had. Especially for controlling breaches, and preventing anything like what Kowalsic had allowed to snowball.
    “I would share an equally guarded Family Gift in turn.”
    Nosferatu Curse: Jennifer's voice withers like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise.

5. Likes Ruach liked this post
    Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

The Lord smiled at her interest, "It was one part politics and one part disappointment." A coy response, but not one that lingered before he elaborated, "One of the core tenets of the Ordo is regarding change. To be ready for invoking it in yourself you must first be acutely aware of it around you. I learned that much in recruitment and practiced it feverishly. The Grand Wyrm at the time had a habit of stirring drama in court and a familiar target was the then Harpy and Priscus of Lords. Time and time again, I witnessed the events unfold and came to the conclusion that the Dragons- or at least the Sacramento chapter was more of a hive mind. She had many gangrel behind her in the Ordo, and they often stepped up to bully others into backing her point of view."

A hand gently turned as he continued, "I called her out on the hypocrisy of her shit-stirring. By that time I had decided they were not the society of scholars I imagined, but in not falling in line behind her I imagine I was also not welcome anymore. My approach to her caught the eye of the Prince and I was promptly named Herald to represent her voice. An invitation to the First Estate followed, along with the promise that there would be no door that could not be unlocked." He grinned with the last line, "The organization has certainly not failed to live up to that promise."

"I agree," he nodded to the need for martial aspects. "It will be interesting to see how the next Reeve addresses that need."

Knowledge was always of upmost value to the Lord, and he imagined she knew that to some degree. He considered the offer for a moment, "I must admit, I have not seen the gambit of your Family's gift in practice. I know it employs elements of fear or dread but not much more detail beyond that." He looked to her, opening the conversation for her to expand on the topic.

Blood Hunt:

7. Likes liked this post
    City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

NOS
    PRE

Jennifer thinks for a moment, holding up her past view of Jack with this new information. It was curious to imagine him as a member of the Ordul, when he seemed so suited for the First Estate.
    "I am rather glad that the Grand Wyrm at the time botched presenting the Dragons as a rational choice. I know you likely would have prospered there, with proper support.
    Yet their loss is the First estate's gain, and I have to state that you represent the First Estate with flawless style."

Truthful.

"I certainly look forward to discovering who the competent Deputy to assist the new Reeve shall be." She had already presented a case for who she thought was the best candidate. If the Prince makes the selection that I think she shall. Wouldn't it be funny if she chose someone else entirely?
    There was a small bite of envy, for she had briefly entertained the thought of putting her own hat in the ring when conversting with the Prince. Yet it pulled from her two great duties.

"The Family Gift has a delicate use and a rather effective might when wielded with the right knowledge. The Nosferatu use our knowledge of what motivates a person or what they may fear and couple it with Nightmare. A light hand can roll out a wave of Dread and cause unwanted visitors to depart, never aware of what touched their psyche. A deft weaving of Nightmare can pull up hidden horrors from within a rival's own mind. I always consider what might truly frighten someone."
    "Would you be interested in learning the Gift?" Jennifer inquired.

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Perhaps there was more sanity deeper within the organization, but I had no interest in joining a militia who would not think for themselves." He shrugged his shoulders. He smiled at the compliment for what it was, "Likewise to you. I imagine the context makes it clearer on why I had interest in becoming a Notary and my surprise at your willingness to collaborate with me upon your return to Sacramento."

"A long needed structure and order will be nice," he mused about the future with a Reeve.

He listened to Jennifer as she described the gifts, nodding with keen attentiveness, "That is quite interesting," remarkable even, "Will you permit me some time to consider your offer?" More of a statement than an actual question.

"How is Mister O'Brien coming along in his manumission?" he inquired, interested from the last correspondence. "He seems to be both eager and ambitious to grow. Excellent traits when paired with your tutelage."

Blood Hunt:

10. Likes liked this post
    City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

NOS
    PRE

"Dirt Nap survived, but I wonder if it influenced his idea to avoid leadership in the Domain."
    Jennifer smiled at the memory.

"I am glad that we both had the sense to talk to each other. I have enjoyed hearing your thoughts over my time here in the Domain.
    On that vein,"
    A smile. "-all of my study and devotion is paying off. I shall be studying the Oath in the nights to come.

I look forward to seeing the roles filled. I imagine that the Domain will benefit.
    Although I am curious if there will be conflict trying to win over the Reeve for her favor.
    We shall see.
    Of course, I have no desire to press you.

"I think he's going to do quite well. I have spotted one flaw that he admitted to in one of our first conversations alone. I appreciate that he's self aware. He wishes to improve upon himself.
    I enjoy the same work on myself, looking for any areas where I am not helpful for the Domain."

12. Likes Ruach liked this post
    Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"I believe it could have..." he considered for a moment. "It seems in his nature to stay out of the limelight as much as possible though."

"That's quite exciting," he grinned. "You've been chasing that rabbit for quite some time. There is no greater gratification than capturing something long sought."

He remarked, "Anything is possible." He had seen strange things over the years at least. Not much would surprise him.

"That's good, and equally good to sort out those flaws in private." A smile, and an honest one at that, "I'm curious where his ambition will lead him. He at least seems to have a good head on his shoulders." Eager perhaps, but not always a bad thing.

The hour grows late and the Lord rises to his feet, "I should be heading out. It was nice meeting with you again." A softened expression washed over his face as he added, "We should try to make more of a habit of it."

Blood Hunt:

14. Likes liked this post
    City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

NOS
    PRE

Jennifer could see that aspect in Dirt Nap. He was a different Kindred, who did not strive for Status or power as much as others.
    "Yes, I do agree with you. I enjoy getting to know items away from the stage. I think his ambition should lead him far. I was a bit ambitious a decade ago. Although I am pleased with how that worked for me."
    Hopefully, Connor would learn the same patience.

"Yes, it is that time." Jennifer rose with him, giving a sincere smile. "Thank you for meeting with me. I would love to make a habit of our talks."
    Autumn eyes note the softened expression, returning a look of sincerity to match her words.
    "I value our time together."

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
Closed Thread