Status
    (Academic)
    Contact
    (City Hall)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Eulogy Main

Nimbus:
    The sound of chattering teeth accompanies a scent of chemical sanitizer and fresh earth when Eulogy makes his will manifest.

During Vulgar will working the sound of teeth becomes a overpowering rattle of bone on bone. The scent turns putrid as that of decaying flesh, The clean scent of sanitizer becomes a fetid miasma of gaseous stench.
    Active Spells

Spell Tolerance: 0/2
    Active Spells: 0/5
    None
    Inventory

Dedicated Magical Tool
    A Bone Wand that measures thirteen inches in length from tip to tip. The bone is of an unknown origin and is intricately carved with runes and symbols. The wand allows an easier connection when working Death arcana

On Eulogy

Cell Phone
    Flashlight
    Pepper Spray

Has access to

Make-Up Kit
    First Aid Kit
    Hidden

PRE

Again Mordechai paused to consider his answer. "I think my belief is a logical extension the Ladder's tenets that most other members of the Order would agree with." The conversation moved to a more pragmatic topic.

He nodded in understanding. "As ready as one can be under the circumstances." He said humbly. "This leads back to me being a humanist and a Ladder. I can see how people may consider that to be contradictions based on lack of understanding but I can assure you it is not. As a Ladder I understand and appreciate the rule of law. As a Humanist I put the betterment of humanity before other considerations.

He took a breath "To consolidate those two points I tend to look at law with an eye to the intent of the law not the letter. I aim to be fair in my actions with others and I hold others to the same standard. I admit I don't like confrontation but I won't back down when necessary."
    • Member of the Caretakers.

Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), pair of daggers, tonfa, Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), motorcycle (street bike)
    Phoenyx

Nimbus: a pair of fiery scarlet wings unfurl her with an eagle's screech.
    Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Armour - 3/2 (Life/2, Trenchcoat)
    Health: Matriarch - 1B/7
    Willpower 3/3
    Mana: 9/9
    Vulgars Cast: 0
    Personal Spells 2/3
    [6] Supernal Vision (Monthly Ritual)
    [5$] 2E Life Shield (Monthly Ritual)
    Active spells: 3/7
    [3$] Complex Transmission

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), 2 spare clips, pair of daggers (one is magical focus), Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), Purse ($57, gun permit, driving license)
    Phoenyx Scenes

PRE

Phoneyx nods. Understanding the Ladder would be helpful, especially after what she had heard about the San Fransisco Consillium.

"I have had to defend what some people considered the incompatible rules of the Arrow with te laws of the concillium. It is important we retain the principles we stand for - sometimes it is difficult to see these work in harmony. But I do not consider it impossible."
    Humanist approaches were flexible and broadly accepted - hopefully Eulogy would not have to defend his perspectives to Puck, but if he did it was important to be ready.

"Arrows consider action important, but this does not mean acting without consideration. Interpretation of laws can come separate to what we believe. Indeed, the letter of the law was why the Concillium charter was disbanded some time ago. It was difficult to function as the charter declared based on the number of mages and their spread - as it had been rare to see a full council of five Paths present. Formality had to yeild to practicality, and that places the onus on us to interpret the Lex Magica in scenarios that arise." It was possible the Moros had considered these things, but she had to enquire.
    Obrimos Adamantine Arrow, Cloaked Monthly Rits (in minisheet)

3. Likes liked this post
    Presence
    (Gentlemanly)
    Status
    (Academic)
    Contact
    (City Hall)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Eulogy Main

Nimbus:
    The sound of chattering teeth accompanies a scent of chemical sanitizer and fresh earth when Eulogy makes his will manifest.

During Vulgar will working the sound of teeth becomes a overpowering rattle of bone on bone. The scent turns putrid as that of decaying flesh, The clean scent of sanitizer becomes a fetid miasma of gaseous stench.
    Active Spells

None
    Inventory

Dedicated Magical Tool
    A Bone Wand that measures thirteen inches in length from tip to tip. The bone is of an unknown origin and is intricately carved with runes and symbols. The wand allows an easier connection when working Death arcana

On Eulogy

Cell Phone
    Flashlight
    Pepper Spray

Has access to

Make-Up Kit
    First Aid Kit
    Hidden

PRE

Mordechai listened intently. Face an honest indication of interest in Phoenyx's view. "I understand. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. We Théarchs are encouraged to debate our points of view as a matter of course. I will admit it has been some years since I have engaged in any meaningful challenges but I will dust off my old cap just to be ready." His eyes glinted with what could be thought of as anticipation.

Eulogy again showed interest in her words, a pained looked of frustration momentarily clouded his face as she spoke of the charter. In the end he nodded and spoke reassuringly. "I am confident we will see all five path seats filled in the very near future."

He waited for a moment to collect his thoughts. Then asked a question. "You have a hand in the shaping of this Concilium. An opportunity to forge it into something true and strong and sustainable. What does that look like? What is a perfect society in your eyes?"

5. Likes Xadun liked this post
    Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), pair of daggers, tonfa, Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), motorcycle (street bike)
    Phoenyx

Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Willpower 3/3
    Personal Spells 2/3

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), 2 spare clips, pair of daggers (one is magical focus), Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), Purse ($57, gun permit, driving license)
    Phoenyx Scenes

PRE

There was another nod. It was important people knew what they were letting themselves in for.

Her brow furrowed as Eulogy looked pained. "I suppose it is possible. We have a more balanced spread of paths than I can recall in my time here."

Phoenyx blinked. "Those are two very different questions. The subjectivity of a "perfect society" makes theorising one make little sense. Does one seek to maximise freedom or security? Balance science with faith? My ideal is one where individuals act with logic but compassion, reason tied with responsibility, trust with Wisdom. I equally realise these ideals are too high for many and must accept the world as it is - the only person I can truly hold to them is myself. Mages recognise Wisdom as acting in moderation but what we all consider reasonable varies wildly based on our beliefs."

The Arrow pauses, phrasing her words with care. "At it's largest in my time here, the Concillium numbered around fifteen mages. I feel a council of paths is redundant, because Path does not guarantee diversity of opinion or approach. It could easily produce a Council all from one order. But more relevantly, there are not enough for these representatives, to have much meaning. I represent the Obrimos - Kaze, Winter and myself - all of whom attend the Concillium regularly. Why do I represent people who can represent themselves and - on multiple occasions - have done so?" She takes a moment and shifts. "When discussing Concillium leadership, I argued for the single position of Hierarch to be instated. A magus of wisdom and mutual respect to provide oversight, that could arbitrate and make decisions for the Concillium as needed. While such a position could be abused, the laws of the Atlantean Orders do little to reinforce a Hierarch's Authority - and should any individual attempt to abuse the position, the concillium turns upon them." She shrugs. "Not perfect, but practical and adaptable. Better and less divisive than suggesting half the Concillium has authority over the other half. I was overruled by the majority in favour of council representation, should the Concillium grow beyond it's current size. It never has." The last statement added as if it was a factual weight in her favour.

7. Likes liked this post
    Presence
    (Gentlemanly)
    Status
    (Academic)
    Contact
    (City Hall)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Eulogy Main

Nimbus:

Active Spells

None
    Inventory

Dedicated Magical Tool

On Eulogy

Cell Phone
    Flashlight
    Pepper Spray

Has access to

Make-Up Kit
    First Aid Kit
    Hidden

PRE

Mordechai was silent and motionless as Phoenyx delved into her answer. His eyes watched her, his expression one of pure consideration of her words. He listened as she detailed her idea of the world and he realized he may not of articulated his question properly.

Then Phoenyx moved closer to the heart of what he was seeking. Finally, when it was appropriate, he replied. "I see." He took another moment to consolidate his thoughts. "I can see your point. The transient nature of mages in the city could be problematic to setting up a sustainable government. I personally don't see a lone Hierarch as inherently problematic. I do understand why people would rail against the idea of finding themselves oathbound to a potential dictator."

Guru, Crystal and Kaze for sure. They may come around if someone they trusted was chosen for the position but I still wouldn't put money on it. he mused.

He breathed a sigh and rubbed his chin.

"If we were to implement singular leadership who would you think would be the best candidate for the position?" He asked curiously. It never hurt to get the full picture before making a decision.

"What would you think of a triumvirate government? Three equal councilors chosen by vote from the Concilium as a whole. Path and order irrelevant to the choice. Selected because they want to make a difference. Position held until they choose to leave, at which time another vote for a replacement."

"also let's maintain for the moment that we are locked in the current system and have five councilors to oversee things. How do you think the five of us could secure engagement from the rest of the mages?"

"It seems to me, now that we are talking about it. The biggest issue we face is that the current state of affairs is an apathetic anarchy. No one is really engaged to direct people and so people have no reason to follow anyone. We spend month in and month out going is circles and calling it a society."

9. Likes Aeolus liked this post
    Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Phoenyx

Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Willpower 3/3
    Personal Spells 2/3

Phoenyx Scenes

PRE

The Arrow shrugs. "Nor do I. I believed the weight of numbers against the one to act as sufficient motivator to act in the collective best interest. I was in the minority."

There is a thoughtful pause, then a shake of the head. "That would seem to combine the problems of both methods. Some groups feeling marginalized and still with negotiation over a final course of action."

Phoenyx watches Eulogy for a moment. "I have not found engagement to be an issue - those that wish to speak and discuss will, and those that do not are usually present to observe in their own way. Curiously it is Councilor Puck who seems to have an issue with equal discussion - he has previously disapproved of non-councilors having free speech in Official Concilium sessions... or perhaps he believed it was simply speaking out of turn and things were devolving into a verbal melee - I cannot say for certain." She folds her hands in front of herself. "That is true. I have endeavored to ensure there is something of a structure to meetings, considering issues of import that people should know, official business, and other affairs. Either our city has entered a state of peace ever since our attack on the Seer temple two years ago, or we have simply not seen their actions. Without a common external goal, issues turn inwards. Unopposed power destroys itself." Dark eyes watch Eulogy carefully once again. "Unfortunately, as with so small a society, there is often little in common from one end of the whole to the other. Those with recognisable like interests gravitate together. For now there is no danger or sufficiently collective project to necessitate the level of cohesiveness you seem to be seeking. If you desire to build something grandiose, Sacramento simply is not the place." Nothing derisive in any way, just... clinical facts, so far as the Arrow saw them.

11. Likes , Aeolus liked this post
    Presence
    (Gentlemanly)
    Status
    (Academic)
    Contact
    (City Hall)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Eulogy Main

Nimbus:

Active Spells

None
    Inventory

Dedicated Magical Tool

On Eulogy

Cell Phone
    Flashlight
    Pepper Spray

Has access to

Make-Up Kit
    First Aid Kit
    Hidden

PRE

Mordechai listened to Phoenyx rebut his thoughts with an opened mind. His knee jerk reaction was to instantly defend his position in an attempt to sway her. But he realized that there wasn't much reason for that. Since thia was purely an informative discussion. He recognized that any attempt to push the formidable Arrow could likely result in animosity that would hinder future dealings.

Imstead he replied. "How familiar are you with the ancient roman military structure?" he asked.

"I have heard it told, although I admit I am not sure of the truth of it, That each unit in the military had such a structure of order that every soldier knew exactly their place. This clear chain of command held two positive functions that allowed the military to continue effectively for centuries. First, If a General fell everyone knew who was next in line and they became general. And if they fell then the next became general. So on and so on until the last soldier standing."

"Two, a sense of connection to your fellow soldiers and in turn a connection to the empire as a whole. When the last soldier stands alone on a battlefield they know in their heart they are a general with all the duty that entails, Connected through rank to the entire empire. The choices they make are for the betterment of the whole. And they matter.

He smiled sadly. "I hope it is true, it is a very pretty thought."

13. Likes Ruach, Xadun liked this post
    Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Phoenyx

Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Willpower 3/3
    Personal Spells 2/3

Phoenyx Scenes

PRE

The Arrow nods. "A little. I enjoy history - more the mythology and ethical aspects, but the Adamanditine Arrow has drawn on the warfare pracrtices of all cultures throughout the centuries."

She listens carefully, letting Eulogy finish. "I had not heard that before. I do not know if it is true or not, but the structure is emulated in the Arrow. Not quite so meticulously, but knowing our ranks, those above us, below us." She blinked. "I am not sure what comparison you are wanting to draw? Not everyone is willing to subject themselves to such a structure."

15. Likes , Ruach liked this post
    Presence
    (Gentlemanly)
    Status
    (Academic)
    Contact
    (City Hall)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Eulogy Main

Nimbus:

Active Spells

None
    Inventory

Dedicated Magical Tool

On Eulogy

Cell Phone
    Flashlight
    Pepper Spray

Has access to

Make-Up Kit
    First Aid Kit
    Hidden

PRE

He had honestly expected an answer close to the one he received and so he was ready with a reply. "I don't see what not willing has to do with anything." the smile on his face and tone took any sting from the words.

"Everyone here has already agreed. By sheer virtue of attending Concilium. There are other options. Let me ask you a personal question. Feel free not to answer but at least consider, why aren't you a seer of the throne? Or completely unaligned? I don't mean apostate who follow pentacle law but truly unaligned, Wouldn't that be freedon?"

"We the wise members of the diamond gather in groups of individuals. The only thread that binds us is the agreement, whether spoken or not, to abide by the rules as laid out in the lex.

"Unless I missed something." he said to give Phoenyx an opening to dissent.
    Last edited by Eulogy; Oct 9th, 2021 at 06:26 PM.  Reason for Edit: Fat fingers and phone keyboard

17. Likes Aeolus, Ruach liked this post
    Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Phoenyx

Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Willpower 3/3
    Personal Spells 2/3

Phoenyx Scenes

PRE

A thin eyebrow arches at the Moros. "You are speaking of concontractual obligation that can be assumed for individuals in a society. People have agreed to be apart of the Concillium as it is. In changing the rigidity of the structure to a hierarchy of the manner you suggest - in essence, a defined chain of command - you cannot assume people would continue to adhere to the social contract. As in all things, we seek a balance of freedom and security that satisfies us. I suspect that hierarchy would cause much dissent."

She shrugs. "What you are calling 'freedom' is that context appears to be the ability to live without laws - is that right? I would be surprised that even the Seer sand the unaligned have laws of their own. Even if it is as simple as the law of the veil." Phoenyx moves one hand from the other and back again. "I am saying that when you are in a social contract, real or implied and someone changes the parameters, do you not have a right to reassess and - if you choose - reject those amendments?" There is a spark in her dark eyes. She seems to be enjoying herself.

19. Likes Aeolus liked this post
Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread