Status
    (Academic)
    Contact
    (City Hall)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Eulogy Main

Nimbus:
    The sound of chattering teeth accompanies a scent of chemical sanitizer and fresh earth when Eulogy makes his will manifest.

During Vulgar will working the sound of teeth becomes a overpowering rattle of bone on bone. The scent turns putrid as that of decaying flesh, The clean scent of sanitizer becomes a fetid miasma of gaseous stench.
    Active Spells

Spell Tolerance: 0/2
    Active Spells: 0/5
    None
    Inventory

Dedicated Magical Tool
    A Bone Wand that measures thirteen inches in length from tip to tip. The bone is of an unknown origin and is intricately carved with runes and symbols. The wand allows an easier connection when working Death arcana

On Eulogy

Cell Phone
    Flashlight
    Pepper Spray

Has access to

Make-Up Kit
    First Aid Kit
    Hidden

PRE

Mordechai blinked in confusion. He sighed and leand back in his chair letting the silence hang while he collected his thoughts. Finally he said "ok. I will place aside my presuppositions. What is the currently agreed upon state of governance in the city? What rules are in place that thoes who have agreed abide by?"
    • Member of the Caretakers.

Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), pair of daggers, tonfa, Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), motorcycle (street bike)
    Phoenyx

Nimbus: a pair of fiery scarlet wings unfurl her with an eagle's screech.
    Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Armour - 3/2 (Life/2, Trenchcoat)
    Health: Matriarch - 1B/7
    Willpower 3/3
    Mana: 9/9
    Vulgars Cast: 0
    Personal Spells 2/3
    [6] Supernal Vision (Monthly Ritual)
    [5$] 2E Life Shield (Monthly Ritual)
    Active spells: 3/7
    [3$] Complex Transmission

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), 2 spare clips, pair of daggers (one is magical focus), Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), Purse ($57, gun permit, driving license)
    Phoenyx Scenes

PRE

A small smirk touched her lips, as if the Arrow was sure she had won some unspoken battle. "You are confused. Do you disagree that the example of Roman military structure differs from the structure we possess here? Though we are of one locale, we follow different Orders, ethics, principles. We are not of one order, one purpose. Having that level of hierarchy lacks adaptability and would cause friction between the orders. While I am not particularly against the latter, with so few of us I consider the former to be the key issue. Cooperation is more important than Hierarchy, out of necessity." She finally sits back in the chair, hands still resting in front of her.

"The Concillium had a charter but it was abandoned over a year ago. Many of the rules for the concillium governance were unsustainable with the population we possessed. As such, we elected to scrap the concillium charter and abide simply by the rules of the Lex Magica." Phoenyx frowned a little. "It does mean that that there are no formal rules for ruling or members of a council - we are, in essence, anarchy under the shadow of tradition. Should the majority decide to overturn the council, there is nothing to stop that and they are within their rights to do so. We only have the power we are permitted by the whole to receive."
    Obrimos Adamantine Arrow, Cloaked Monthly Rits (in minisheet)

3. Likes , Aeolus liked this post
    Presence
    (Gentlemanly)
    Status
    (Academic)
    Contact
    (City Hall)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Eulogy Main

Nimbus:
    The sound of chattering teeth accompanies a scent of chemical sanitizer and fresh earth when Eulogy makes his will manifest.

During Vulgar will working the sound of teeth becomes a overpowering rattle of bone on bone. The scent turns putrid as that of decaying flesh, The clean scent of sanitizer becomes a fetid miasma of gaseous stench.
    Active Spells

None
    Inventory

Dedicated Magical Tool
    A Bone Wand that measures thirteen inches in length from tip to tip. The bone is of an unknown origin and is intricately carved with runes and symbols. The wand allows an easier connection when working Death arcana

On Eulogy

Cell Phone
    Flashlight
    Pepper Spray

Has access to

Make-Up Kit
    First Aid Kit
    Hidden

PRE

Eulogy was quick to answer her first questions. I do not dissagree. Which is precisely why I brought it up in the first place. Just to be clear. I am advocating harmony through unity. I can see that you may have latched on to the militant nature of my story but my intent was to highlight the inter connectivity of the whole. I apologize if missed the mark."

"Why do you believe having multiple orders with differing philosophy precludes equitable gouvernance?"

"Why do you believe the population would be immediately antagonistic to a thoughtfully designed structure?"

"How does a Concilium that is filled with people who are invested in the growth of unity and community lack adaptability?

He listened to her explanation of the descions made regarding the charter.

"That seems like a move designed to fracture the unity of a collective. In those fractures people can be lost. Was there some motive behind the descion?"

He shook his head. "Scrap the Charter. Have you ever heard such nonsense? Why do we even call ourselves a Concilium? Sounds more like a mob to me."

"How do you peronally feel about the state of things? All abstracts aside. What changes if any would appeal to you?"

5. Likes Ruach, Aeolus, Xadun liked this post
    Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), pair of daggers, tonfa, Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), motorcycle (street bike)
    Phoenyx

Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Willpower 3/3
    Personal Spells 2/3

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), 2 spare clips, pair of daggers (one is magical focus), Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), Purse ($57, gun permit, driving license)
    Phoenyx Scenes

PRE

Realisation flickers across the Obrimos' face. "I see. Yes; I believed you were advocating that strict lineated hierarchy. Thank you for clarifying."

There was a pause as she considered her answers to the barrage of questions - though many at once, they were thoughtful and eloquently put, clearly feeling out her thoughts as much as she was with him. "I believe it would be better than a governance based on Paths because Orders have common beliefs, philosophies and grounding, chosen by the individual, while though Paths can share common traits it is far from guaranteed. Orders are like a political party in countries where there are more than two, and a Concillium is more a coalition that any form of American governance. Diversity of thought forcing common ground across philosophies to find as best an agreement as possible."

Phoenyx went still. It was interesting, having to argue against the structure she preferred, considering the approaches of others. "I think the next two questions were applicable when I believed you meant a rigid linear hierarchy. However, my reasoning was as follows. First, even with the transitive nature of the Concillium I have worked with the majority. While there is a tendency towards apathy, restrict them too much and they would protest, no matter how well-considered the structure. We are Awakened - we are beings of Will. In my experience that comes a certain desire to push against boundaries that exist. Second, the more you restrict a role in it's purpose, the less flexible it becomes - though again, this was based on the assumption on my part there would be a strict path of authority for all, which you did not intend. I would rather focus on discussing your actual intend than misunderstandings." Her voice remained calm, though engaged.

The Arrow pauses again, considering carefully. "You sound surprised - perhaps more people should be made aware of this situation. The motive was largely that there were large parts of the Charter either being unable to be practically fulfilled or being ignored, due to lack of numbers of mages or simple impracticality. One such example is that of legal proceedings. The Charter stated the defendant would receive council from a Factotum - sometimes we have had none. At one point the number of mages in this city was less than half a dozen. What is the point in representatives when the Concillium is the size of a cabal? Many rules - and they were rules, mandates, not possibilities - fell to practicality. Our choices became two: either scrap the Charter - much of which was ignored anyway - or revise the Charter into something practical. The vote was held and the outcome upheld."

The mob comment forces the Arrow to bring a hand to her lips as she suppresses a laugh and she takes a moment to compose herself, though the smile is a more clear. He was funny. "I suppose it is. But there are still laws. To use a somewhat crude analogy, remove state law and Federal law still remains. It places the onus on us as councilors to interpret that laws - such as when Puck brought a complaint against Anima." She folded her hands back in front of herself. "The old charter was too flawed to be turned into something useful. I do not regret it's removal. I personally would see more rules returned to the Concillium, a charter restored that works within our Concilium's unique situation. I have lived my life with clearly defined rules and find they create structure. Perhaps with a more full council that may become possible."

7. Likes Ruach, Aeolus, liked this post
    Presence
    (Gentlemanly)
    Status
    (Academic)
    Contact
    (City Hall)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Eulogy Main

Nimbus:

Active Spells

None
    Inventory

Dedicated Magical Tool

On Eulogy

Cell Phone
    Flashlight
    Pepper Spray

Has access to

Make-Up Kit
    First Aid Kit
    Hidden

PRE

Eulogy nodded happy to have sorted out the misunderstanding.

He listened to her answer to his question and was silent while he gave it thought. Words tumbled through his mind as he tried to grasp the reasoning. He nodded slowly and attempted to check his understanding. "So to clarify, You think that a Concillium governed by a council of Orders would be more acceptable then the current, well I should say old model since we apparently have no current effective governance but I digress. More acceptable than a model based on Paths. One member or each order takes a seat on a council? What about apostates? I am not against this line of thought but I just don't see it being much of a difference to a fully functioning council of Paths where everyone has representation. It seems like splitting hairs to be honest.

He nodded again at Pheonyx this time vocalizing his relief "Yes, Quite right. My apologies again."

"And there in lies exactly why we need a governing body. You see? The simple fact is There is no one who is telling anyone the state of the non-consillium. I have been here a year. I have attended every official meeting and some unofficial. I was not one time told you had decided to thrown out the charter and no one in fact has any official status." He stopped talking and took a breath. He was very careful to moderate his tone, he was frustrated and knew it was very easy to become snippy so he spoke softly. If Pheonyx was to take offence to his coming words at least he would comfort himself with the knowledge that he tried.

"With all due respect councilor, what I am hearing is excuses. Lack of membership? I can conceive of a harmonious concillium of two. Parts of the charter being ignored? what this tells me is the collective wise ones lost interest. Why? was there not enough people who actually cared? Were the duties too hard so you just said screw it? No Factorum? easy fix appoint a temporary one. Was there no one among you who would stand in defense of another? Could for instance Kaze not have used someone who cared enough to help in his predicament?"

He realized he was going overboard and breathed in audibly through his nose to calm himself.
    "The point is we need to be bound together in essence. Each concillium is wildly different in make up, almost no two are alike but they are all bound by common thread. Like in my story, they are all the empire.

without a charter do you even have an obligation to persecute people who do not follow the law? You have no right to pass judgment on anyone. The charter is what grants people authenticity. Maybe it is symbolic but it is important."

He heard her last sentence and exhaled the last of his frustration. "I am willing to work toward that goal. If you are willing to work with me."

9. Likes Ruach, Aeolus liked this post
    Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Phoenyx

Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Willpower 3/3
    Personal Spells 2/3

Phoenyx Scenes

PRE

Eyebrows raise slightly. "You believe there is no difference in approach between a council dominated by Free Council and one dominated by Guardians of the Veil? That their believes will not influence ruling or policy? Any Order can hold a majority of seats in a Council of Paths. Then there is not diversity of approach. Commonality becomes precedent, which becomes standard. While there are character traits that may occur in the same Path, it is how the choose to live their lives, the Order, that I feel is more definitive. As for Apostates, the number that remain so is small compared to the sizes of the orders. They benefit from joining a part of the Pentacle, more than they can working alone." She looks back to Eulogy. "However, it is moot. This is now the way that was chosen."

A smile touches the lips. "By your reasoning of social contract, we are a Concillium. The presence of a Charter, though usual, is not defining in that respect. What makes our status 'official'? Only what is presented or believed in. My position of First Talon was bestowed by a superior, of Councillor by my collective Path. How would they be unofficial?"

Phoeyx drew herself up. "What I have told you is the reasons presented, given and voted upon by the whole, councilor." In spite of the movement, she sounded slightly amused rather than offended. "Perhaps if I were to offer an example. Regarding the electing of councilors, the Charter states that each Path was free to choose their Councilor in any method they wished - yet in the very next section declaimed how councilors were to be elected - a literal contradiction. Similarly, I am given to understand that official Factotums are required to have considerable study of the Lex Magica and pass tests granting that title - you cannot just appoint one on a whim. You appear to believe we benefit more from ensuring every member of the Concilium possess an official title and role, meaning there are all commanders and no soldiers or..." she paused, watching him, "that you bend the word of the rule for convenience, just as we were doing, rendering you no better than us in the same circumstance."

Eyes narrow slightly. "I do not understand. Which predicament is this?" Suggesting she did not care about Kaze was a risky proposition - of course, there was no way for Eulogy to know that.

The Arrow was focused very intently upon Eulogy now. "If you are under some illusion that I have dictated the current situation, or that I consider it to be the best option available, then I should dispel that notion. The Concillium voted to remove the Charter. My obligation to uphold the Lex Magica was given to me the moment I joined my Order and my duty to interpret it and judge on it handed to me when I was elected Councilor, and I do not need words on a page to clarify that." There was an edge to her voice now. "It is easy to judge actions months or years after they have happened. But the Adamantine Arrow understands duty, Councilor. My Path asked one of me and I accepted. I have seen little of the Concillium to show that they wish for or care for a charter. If you wish to be a sign of changing times, I will change with them." She relaxes a little. "I am not opposed to this. I do object to you shooting the messenger, however."

11. Likes , Aeolus liked this post
    Presence
    (Gentlemanly)
    Status
    (Academic)
    Contact
    (City Hall)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Eulogy Main

Nimbus:

Active Spells

None
    Inventory

Dedicated Magical Tool

On Eulogy

Cell Phone
    Flashlight
    Pepper Spray

Has access to

Make-Up Kit
    First Aid Kit
    Hidden

PRE

The Moros watched the Arrow taking in her words. [i]Well this seems to have escalated quickly. and could not help the amused smile that appeared as Phoenyx made her point.

He waited until she finished her point about Paths versus orders, not wanting to interrupt before he said "Neither choice is perfect. Why not five wize without restriction? A council of Obrimos Arrows defending the realm from the pitfalls of magic? If they were each voted in by majority I wouldn't object. Your thinking is very militant. With proper checks and balance the only thing that matters is engagemnt. Are the leaders invested in the community as a whole or aren't they?"

The conversation flowed and to her second point he responded "Ok. There is the distinct possibility we are talking past each other. I Hear your words and respect your opinion even though I dissagree. A charter, from my understanding, is a grant from a sovereign. In this case the awakened society as a whole or possibly the Lex. I would have to check. recognising the formation and governing powers of a specific body. In this case A councillium. So no charter no formation of a body. No recognition as a councillium. Can a group of us get together every week and chit chat about how date night went? Sure. Are we official? he shrugged. "Also we don't live in a vacuum Would we be recognized by the global community? To your point about being elevated to First Talon I would ask is there a difference in being the president of Germany and being president of a motor cycle club?"

He was speaking in even tones all passion gone. The fire and spirit burnt out. "The intent is clear. It calls for representation. I am bending nothing." he said in reponse to the comment about factorums.

He blinked in suprise at her question of Kaze's issue. "He explained it to me as having been found guilty of a crime and sentenced to punishment by the council. Due to how long you have been in the city I assumed you were aware. If my math is incorrect I apologize. he said carefully. He wasn't sure how much of what Kaze had told him was public and he wasn't about to speak out of turn against his friend. "In any event. I only brought it up to illustrate the importance of having proper representation. Bad things can happen to good people who lack the ability to mount a proper defence." He was sure the arrow would appreciate that sentiment if nothing else.

Mordechai took the verbal thrashing stoically and unchallenged. When she finished he again couldn't help the smile that touched the corner of his eyes. "I seem to be apologizing quite a lot today." he said, clearly amused.

Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Phoenyx

Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Willpower 3/3
    Personal Spells 2/3

Phoenyx Scenes

PRE

There was another small smile. "I am an Arrow," she replies simply to his suggestion of militant nature. "Any position of power needs challenge to avoid complacency or decline. Different ideas. I would be as uncomfortable with a council of my Order as any other. Moving as one when a choice is made is essential, but always approaching from the same philosophy means one can lack fresh insight. Ideally all would work to the communal good. This is not always the case." Still, it seemed they had an understanding. Eulogy may not agree, but agreement was not necessary.

There was a small nod. "The decision was made - you are challenging the factors that lead to that decision. This is a debate - not a personal disagreement." She sits back n the chair. "If it makes you more comfortable, I agree with your position. A charter is more refined and widely accepted. However, I argue it is not the only factor. We possess a communal site of power in the Circle of Creation, belonging to what we consider to be the Concillium. We are little more than a dozen. It is possible some might consider us a cabal with delusions of grandeur, no matter how many rules or charters we make. At this point it becomes semantics. We call ourselves a Concillium. We still would, charter or no." There was the small smile again. "We are still bound by the global laws of our kind. There are no other Arrows in this city, but I am First Talon because I was elevated to that rank by a superior. I am councillor because I was elected. Both of these are recognised throughout Awakened society, regardless of the size of the local community."

"And if no-one is suitable qualified for the position? Should we elevate one without the needed skills for convenience?" The Arrow presses the position in similar neutral tones.

Phoenyx looks down for a moment, folding her hands again. "I was aware. I did not realise which event you were referring to." She looks back at the Moros. "That is correct. Kaze was accused of a breach of the Veil in the face of multiple witnesses and pleaded guilty from the outset. He was sentenced to a month of arrest and was overseen by myself and the other Arrow of the time." Not knowing what Eulogy knew, laying down the facts was important. She watched Eulogy. "It was his second offence. As one of the Councilors that passed sentence, I do not consider the punishment to be unfair. The personal inconvenience of spending my time as a guard was more displeasing." It was still at one of the heights of their tension. The breakup had been anything but simple. But she did it anyway - it was the will of the Council.

She takes a slow breath. Cooler heads should prevail - it had been a highly civil (almost enjoyable) exchange so far. "We... have not interacted much, Councilor. This is why I wanted to meet, that we both understand each other and our situation a little more. You may not know how seriously I take my duties. It does not matter what there is to tell me my obligations - I know them, and calling my integrity into question without base is not something I take lightly." As apologies went it was particularly awful, even for Phoenyx. "I understand I have had to tell you things you find displeasing. I am trying to present nothing more or less than the facts, and my views where you wish to discuss them. If you wish there to be change - and you have made it clear you do - I will make myself available to discuss with you." She returns the smile with a slightly awkward one of her own.

Presence
    (Gentlemanly)
    Status
    (Academic)
    Contact
    (City Hall)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Eulogy Main

Nimbus:

Active Spells

None
    Inventory

Dedicated Magical Tool

On Eulogy

Cell Phone
    Flashlight
    Pepper Spray

Has access to

Make-Up Kit
    First Aid Kit
    Hidden

PRE

Eulogy listened to Pheonyx's points. He was rather enjoying needling the arrow. She was very good at keeping her emotions off of her face and out of her voice. She was practiced at regulating herself. The words she chose though held a depth of information.

He sat back and steepled his fingers. Desciding on the spot that a change of tact was called for. Just to see what she would say. "Is that what the Arrow teaches? Power needs challenging? he grinned "No rest for the wicked eh?" he made no other comments as Pheonyx shared her belief. He just nodded when appropriate.

His smile widended tonshow full teeth as Phoenyx spoke her piece. "It does make me more comfortable." he granted her that one. "At least that is a straightforward answer about your opinion on the subject." He had made his thoughts known and felt that pushing further would not accomplish anything so he didn't.

On the topic of Kaze, Eulogy was equally as guarded as Pheonyx. He listened to her openly with a blank unjudginng look. Her story matched the one he had heard from Kaze and it was delivered with the same clinical detachment he has come to expect from Pheonyx. For good or bad his point was already made and he again saw no benefit to continue in this track. He blinked a few times and let her statement stand on it's own.

And then Pheonyx flipped the script and Eulogy was taken aback. She opened up. Just the splinter of a crack but more then he would have thought she would.

"I sincerely apologize if I have given offence. It is an unfortunate fact that I can become." he stopped struggling to find an appropriate word to describe himself and finally settled on "Passionate." his face flushed with just a hint of red
    and he quickly continued. "about things that I care for. I have been know to jump to conclusions and rush headlong into foolish mistakes."

The awkwardness was beginning to seep back into him as he looked down at his desk. He began to fidget slightly. "Perhaps I am being foolish again. If no one is interested in change then why bother eh?"

Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Phoenyx

Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Willpower 3/3
    Personal Spells 2/3

Phoenyx Scenes

PRE

Phoenyx nods. "In part. We believe unopposed power destroys itself. Without opposition, power in social circles turns on itself to gain more power - a unity becomes fractured. And without challenge, there is no growth."

There is a shrug. "I believe in being direct, while choosing my words with care. No action can be taken back, speech included."

"I have no objection to passion, provided it does not obscure reason," the Arrow offers a small smile. "If you have found this to be an issue for you, I recommend taking pause, thought, before your actions. Even a moment can allow you to consider more than the moment at hand. We, as Councilors, must act equally with reason."

There is a small shake of the head. "Through our diversity there is strength. No one path holds all answers, and people change with time. We have to hold to our beliefs, our principles. Agreement is not always needed for our principles to remain valid, and through those differing opinions we may find a way that works for all."

She rises. "Thank you Councillor. This has been most enlightening for me - I hope for yourself as well. My apologies, but I have another appointment and must take my leave. I hope we are able to work well together in the future."

Since I've been busy we've roled past the month mark. Are you okay to wrap there?

16. Likes liked this post
Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread