Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

(2109) Nights in Ivory

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Aug 31, 2021 : (2109) Eternal Court
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

HP: 0/7 [7 Bash]
    WP: 0/2
    Vitae: 2/6

Equipment: Reinforced Jacket, Broadsword, Messenger Bag (flashlight, pen, notepad, binoculars, duct tape), Phone, Wallet ($50 cash)
    Combat Stats

Def: 3 (Dex; Tonfa +1)
    Armor: 1/0 (Reinforced Clothing)
    Initiative: 4
    Speed: 9

PRE

Edward's interest peaks Conner's own, though he speaks in a measured tone. He wouldn't let enthusiasm trip him up in here again. "None specific at the moment, though I will admit a matter close to my own heart has been Disciplines and their use. Part of the reason Elysium is so valuable as a meeting place is the laws the prevent the abuse of our powers. But once we're out the door, anything goes." He speaks perhaps a bit too close to his heart here. "I understand a great deal of that lies with our own struggles with the Beast. But I believe that understanding more about our condition and how it can be managed could help towards easing that tension."

3 successes

Edward's subtle reaction goes right under Conner's awareness, though it's a 'blink-and-you-miss-it' kind of thing. Still, he nods to Edward, appreciating his insight. "In the Bible God instructs His children to be 'in the world, but not of it'. We are creatures of flesh and blood and bone, but to look to temporal strength for salvation is folly." A bit dour perhaps, but Conner wasn't really in a 'fire and brimstone' mood.

​"And I'm happy you accepted my offer to join you." Credit where credit was due; Edward could've just blown him off; politely of course. Edward's question draws a thoughtful frown from Conner. "Yes, in a sense. The Second Estate thrives off of a doctrine of continual guilt and penance. Most would find it...uncomfortable to consider an alternative." That was putting it lightly. He and his Sire had spent many any evening in heated debated on such matters. Not because she disagreed with him, per se, but because she believed in surety of thought. "One of my goals is to have an informal gathering of interested Kindred to discuss such questions. Perhaps you'd be interested?"

Edward seems genuine in his assessment of Mable, though there's a part of him that grumbles at the lack of blatant flaws. "I see...I'm glad to hear she's an active participant in Domain affairs." She's competition! You can't coexist, you need to eliminate her! "I'm sure you're aware of how our two Covenants clash. Perhaps with the two of us running solo we can focus on relating personally rather than as political figures?" Wishful thinking? Maybe. But Conner had little patience for enemies. And Quinn had specifically warned him against making Mable an enemy.

2 successes
    4th Roll: 9/7, unless Edward has already won. Just want to make sure I'm interpreting it right.

2. Likes liked this post

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Daeva Vice: Wrath
    Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

Edward's smile went thin, "all goes out the door, indeed. I should imagine most of us have been burned by that fact once upon a time."

"I do not doubt the Beast's role, my family curse has more than once made a bad situation worse. However, even without the Beast, Kine manages to tangle themselves up just as badly as we. But still, I do not doubt."

Edward's eyes light up at the quote, "very interesting. I have always felt we must strive to be more than substance, I believed and still do believe that courtesy raises us above the stature of Beasts. Not that I would lay claim to expertise. By what method do you believe one can become not of the world?"

Edward smiles as Conner graciously reciprocates. "I do believe so, please inform me of the time and place." Edward had never considered the Second Estate as a viable option. The other covenants he had dismissed for various reasons. But the Second Estate had mentally lurked, hidden in plain sight.

"Indeed I am." Although the clash always seemed to begin with the Lance, in his experience, "I do not mean to be rude, but I believe that would be up to you. If you are willing to tolerate their rituals and prayers, I should imagine your interests greatly align."

Edward considers the board carefully; Connor had made what was likely the best move. It's just that the best move was still losing.
    1 success

Nerves got to Edward, his fear of blundering led to unwarranted caution.

"It would be my pleasure to introduce you, perhaps you could even have one of those inter-faith dialogues that are so popular among the Kine these days. Or simply discuss cooperation for the improvement of the Domain. I am certain that she would leap at the chance."

4. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Equipment: Reinforced Jacket, Broadsword, Messenger Bag (flashlight, pen, notepad, binoculars, duct tape), Phone, Wallet ($50 cash)
    Combat Stats

PRE

Conner is genuinely impressed by Edward's responses. He had his own personal prejudices against the Daeva, some of which had been hammered in by his Sire's training. Shock troopers in pencil skirts was what she'd called them; creatures for whom restraint and wisdom was a weakness. But Edward so far, outside of the pressures of Court, had been curiously reserved and even open-minded. Perhaps there is some comfort in being proven wrong.

His new question brought some boldness to the Shadow Priest. Though his voice was calm, his tone was adamant. "By denying the influence of the world on our hearts. For Kindred I believe this has some measure in denying the Beast, which we all do to some degree." Some more than others "The world, as referred to in that quote, refers to base impulses. Where society tells you to choose destruction over restoration, you choose the latter. Where it would be convenient to choose destruction, you choose restraint." He allows a thoughtful smile. "Courtesy is certainly one choice that can deny the world's influence, provided your heart is in the right place." Courtesy; another smokescreen for the wicked to take advantage. This one is no different.

failure

Conner's own doubts supplement his next move. He puts his own words to the test; choosing to wrestle his demons rather than let them taint his conversation. Though Edward's next words don't help in that matter. He doesn't know the Circle like you do; doesn't know the pain they've caused! But there's more to it than that. That's why we need to meet with Mable...

"I appreciate the gesture; Priscus Durant has already offered to schedule an audience between me and Ms. Wood at some point."
    He thinks of his previous words to JC, how he snapped at the Gangrel when he equated the Circle and the Lancea. He'd learned since then...just a little. "If Mable intends to lead the Circle as a force for positive change in this Domain, than I would certainly be open to collaboration." A little courtesy to deny verbal violence. "And I'll certainly let you know when our first gathering would take place. It would likely be after my first Mass, which should hopefully be in a month or so."

6. Likes liked this post

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

The influence of the world on our hearts. Edward mentally repeated to himself, weighing the words. It sounded dangerously close to defining something away. "I fear I am failing to grasp a subtly in your point, Mr. Wells, would you tell me what exactly it is you mean by 'the world?'"

"To perhaps better explain my worry, there have been many times in my life and unlife that upon being inspired by some facet of the world, I found myself rising above temptations and resentment. It is, therefore, difficult for me to think of the world as something only to be resisted."

1 success

The slow march of Edward's caution play went on.

He almost assured Conner that Mable was a force for good, but resisted. Edward had already stated his opinion, to do more would be unsightly. "Wonderful to hear, I shall look forward to both Mass and meeting."

8. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Combat Stats

PRE

Conner thinks briefly over Edward's question, giving a self-deprecating smile. "I understand your confusion. There are some more dogmatic members of the Lancea, and Christianity for that matter, who believe the physical world itself is something to be shunned. But I would disagree. The 'world' as I referred to earlier refers to a method of thinking: that the soul isn't important and therefore we're just animals that don't deserve or need justification for our actions. It may also be called 'secular' thought."

He nods in agreement. "You're right, Mr. Heinrich; Creation is full of many things that can inspire us and give us hope." He pauses here, as if holding onto a thought he wasn't comfortable letting go. Would sharing this with an Unaligned bear more fruit than harm? Finally, he speaks. "And, in a way, we Kindred are a part of that. Our curse doesn't make us irredeemable, and while it doesn't make good easy for us it doesn't make it any less precious."

1 success

Conner answers Edward's caution my moving up another knight; not wanting to make Edward think he wasn't taking the game seriously. "Does this all make sense? If not I can try and clarify?"

10. Likes liked this post

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

To hear 'irredeemable,' implying there was something to be redeemed, and 'curse' rankled Edward, but he understood. There was a deadening of feeling, a blunting of compassion, all combined with newfound power and separation. How much easier then, to become tribal and abusive towards others.

"I admit some relief to hear that, Mr. Wells. I find it somewhat difficult to relate to those who insist by definition that all that is good is God and all that is evil in the world. Then regard those without God as, by definition, wholly evil."

Edward would not have gone on, but he sensed Connor was being open with him and felt comfortable returning the gesture.
    "I am reminded of a phrase my Sire used when referring to the Movement, 'beware unearned virtue.' I suppose that notion would apply equally to all who equate belief with virtue."

Edward surveyed the board and let the conversation settle in the back of his mind.
    2 successes

"Not entirely," Edward confesses, "but I would enjoy my own rumination on the subject for a time and will bring my questions, if any, to Mass."

"But I find myself interested, Mr. Wells, when matters of the soul do not occupy your thoughts, what does? Have you a mortal profession, or perhaps a hobby?"

12. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Combat Stats

PRE

Conner seems spurred by Edward's own ruminations. "It provides some relief to me too. After all, we hold a unique place in Creation. Kindred weren't part of the original created order, and yet here we are. But as Creation holds no mistakes, we must be a part of it; and therefore capable of both good and evil just as other sentient beings are." How strange it was to live in a world clouded by darkness and mystery and yet have so much clearly laid out for those who would bother to look.

"Movement? Are you referring to the Carthians?"
    Conner wasn't sure if there were active members in Sacramento, but the idea of a counter-faction to the Invictus did perk his interest. ​"Again, I would certainly agree with you and your Sire on that point. Virtue is a product of action and faith; Courage, for example, is born out of the will to protect and face fear, but cannot exist without us knowing that courage is valuable. Inherent strength is little better than animalistic power until it is managed by something moral."

1 success

2 successes

Conner's moves become more assertive as he begins to adapt to his partner's strategies.

Edward's question of outside interest seems to relieve the Shadow. Good to know he believes in life outside of intrigues and politics. "I have some friends in the Academic sphere who helped get me a virtual TA position at {local college}. It's not much, but it helps with living expenses and keeps my mind sharp. I mostly just help grade assignments and I've occasionally helped out with keynote topics in my areas of expertise." He also hoped it would be the groundwork of corralling a Herd, seeing as how college students were his prey of choice. ​"I also do a lot of 'people watching' at the local nightlife spots. Blending in with Humanity is a skill I want to keep sharp, regardless of where I am." There were deeper, more personal reasons for that as well. But that was for another conversation.

accidentally hit the roll button before the pool was fully fleshed out

14. Likes liked this post

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

"I refer to them, indeed." Edward agreed that he meant the Carthians.

"To my thinking they are one and the same, assuming the time frame is sufficient, and for us, naturally, it always is. That is to say, virtue is power. To not kill the messenger is to receive a second messenger, and to spare one who has surrendered is to see the next foe consider laying down their sword." Edward smiled politely, "of course, this is not to say the instrumental case exhausts virtue."

2 successes

Edward considers the board carefully, "excellent play, Mr. Wells. Your defensive technique is remarkable."

So Connor was an Academic, that fit his image well enough. "And what is your area of expertise? And please, do not be afraid of boring me, there is no risk of that."

Edward nodded at the mention of people watching, it was something his father did, although Edward's memories of that were limited to a single large hardcover titled "Peoplewatching." That and getting routinely crushed at poker, the memory provoked a smile, and Edward decided to share.

"My father was a great fan of the hobby, he believed it helped him play poker, which I don't doubt since he very well could have gone pro. His work as an actuary couldn't have hurt either."

16. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Combat Stats

PRE

Conner absorbs Edward's discussion of virtue. He rolls around the ideas in his head, pondering both his next move in the game and the truth behind his words. "I suppose with the immortality comes the infinite capacity to learn, even from our mistakes." There's no malice in his words, just a statement of fact that he takes to heart himself. "But I do agree; virtue is in a way is own invisible currency. It creates bonds between people that can lead to great things. That said, we have to be careful not to get lost in the metaphors." He smiles a little. "Something I've been working on in my sermon prep."

He nods in acceptance of Edward's compliment.
    "I'm a fairly quick study." How different he is in this light. Getting to talk with him, hear his agreements and disagreements. Perhaps there was some merit to looking past the veils of prejudice pulled up by his own training.

2 successes

He continues to match moves with the Incubus; Conner's own enthusiasm increasing along with Edward's as the conversation goes on.

The Beast grumbles at Edward's open interest. But Conner smothers it in favor of more conversation. "There was a time briefly before my Embrace that I researched the occult. Afterwards my Sire took my focus there and turned it toward religion as a whole. The Testament of Longinus was the primary focus, but by examining other religion through that lens I gained a greater respect for the Testament and its sister faith, Christianity. Old mythologies and occult sects tend to have fractions of the full realities described in those religions, and the iconography dominates popular culture in everything from Shakespeare to Japanese animation."

Edward's smile doesn't go unnoticed by the Shadow. References to mortal life tended in some Kindred to fluctuate between veiled disgust and disdain. But Edward seemed fond of this mortal connection. "I can imagine it would be an advantage in such a game. Though I've never played." There was little room for poker amongst the Lancea. "Humans are creatures of impulse; knowing when those impulses come up can help read possible decisions." And remind us of what we once were. "And what about you, Mr. Heinrich? What interests do you carry outside of Domain business?"

18. Likes liked this post

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

Edward briefly chuckles at Connor's self-depreciation. It was a rare talent for a priest, or well, anyone really.
    1 success

A quick study, indeed. As Lasker said, 'the hardest game to win is the won game.' An idiom that felt more than a little true now.
    8th roll, score 16:13, two rolls left.

"How interesting; I'm left to wonder just how many films I've seen where such symbology was lost on me." In a way, Edward had experienced the other side of things himself. Being a teenager who spends their time on the computer means you get to help the grandparents whenever they try to use the computer.

Granted, that wasn't very often, given the state of computers when he was a teenager.

"As for the occult, I can't say I've ever found occasion to give it serious study. A fact I find myself increasingly regretting these past few years. I don't suppose you have any book recommendations one might check out at the local library?" He smiles a little at his own joke.

"Precious few, I fear. I suppose studying mathematics and going on hikes qualify. The former because of a research interest related to my profession in cybersecurity, the latter because I wished to become accustomed to this city and its surroundings."

These nights, the math felt pointless since the original purpose was tied to his position with the Invictus, and each hiking expedition was duller than the last.

"I am a workaholic without a task which excites me, but perhaps that explains my budding interest in the occult."

20. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread