Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

(Barrens) Nighttime Sharpens, Heightens

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

HP: 0/7 [7 Bash]
    WP: 0/2
    Vitae: 2/6

Equipment: Reinforced Jacket, Broadsword, Messenger Bag (flashlight, pen, notepad, binoculars, duct tape), Phone, Wallet ($50 cash)
    Combat Stats

Def: 3 (Dex; Tonfa +1)
    Armor: 1/0 (Reinforced Clothing)
    Initiative: 4
    Speed: 9

PRE

Conner's eyes go wide. Control? He knew Blood Ties made it easier to locate those connected, and could even be used to transfer emotions. But they couldn't manipulate someone like the powers of Majesty and Dominate. Maybe that would be enough. Maeve certainly seemed like someone who did not take abuse of power lightly, especially over herself.

Maybe he'd said too much? Maeve's gaze pierces him, and he doesn't have the energy to hide. Not tonight. He keeps his voice low. "While you were here, Quinn and I had a long overdue heart-to-heart. We had a history to unpack..." ​The blue-haired Shadow could clearly tell that this 'history' was more than just friendly. "She talked about setting something up in the coming months: a meeting with various Covenant heads. Lancea, Crone, Carthian...everyone but the Invictus. I think she wants a way to allow the other Covenants to operate without the Invictus holding too much power." And if she becomes Reeve... A little surge of courage...frustration...something that wanted to show strength propelled Conner's next words. "But maybe that's why you two clash as much as you do. You see power being abused for what it is: abuse. And you want to rectify it. But the system is all that Quinn knows; she was literally bred to be a political weapon for an Invictus dynasty bent on conquest. But you..." He puts his hand back on hers, with maybe just a hint of desperation. "You and I, we don't know that world. We operate at street level. We know what the world is like outside of Covenant schemes and Court agendas. And maybe that's not such a bad thing. Yes, she's given both of us hell. But she also hasn't shown us favoritism. I made sure of it..." His grip on Maeve tightens, but not to the point of causing pain. "She owes us nothing for our choices or mistakes, but neither do we owe her. We are Clan Mekhet! That can't be changed by who hates or loves whom. And if we pull each other apart, we let people like Prince Antiori sit in smug satisfaction. if we can show them that people who think differently CAN succeed within the current system, then they can't deny our place at the table." He doesn't say what is really on his mind, but maybe his Shadow Cousin could read it on his face, on the pained look in his eyes. I don't want us to fight. I don't want to have to choose.

He calms down and softens his grip as Maeve mentions being mentored by Jennifer. He gives a wry grin. "Honestly, I'm a little jealous. Jennifer seems like the kind of person who would WANT to help, not just help out of obligation." Say what you will about the Nosferatu, their unity was an inspiration. "I remember Bellemy" The pale, sharklike Haunt. "What's she like? She seems like an 'interesting' character." Anything to get the subject off of Quinn.

PRP Stats: In Minisheet

2. Likes liked this post

Maeve O'Ryan
    Presence
    (Forgettable Face)
    Dexterity
    (Graceful Movement)
    Clan Status
    (Mekhet)
    Allies
    (Street)
    Maeve O'Ryan

PRE

She can see it in his eyes and suddenly, her still heart plummets. He has feelings for Quinn. He... Suddenly, she feels ill and she listens to him talk but it all goes in one ear and how the other. How could I have been so stupid? How...? How could he have kissed me, told me to wait, and then- and then-??? She doesn't hide the look of utter betrayal in her eyes. There is an almost glassy texture to them, as if she could cry, but she doesn't.

The look is very clear: You have to make a choice soon. Maeve won't wait just to be left for Quinn. In fact, there will be Hell on Earth if the one person she feels comfortable to completely ditches her for the person she hates. He doesn't get it. He keeps going on about clan strength, and that's nice and all, but he's speaking from a perspective that no matter what he does, he wins.

An angry thought comes to her mind - why does he get to be the one with a choice? She could scream, but she doesn't. She just lets that silence hang there even as he asks his question about Jennifer and Bellemy. There is an irrational feeling that comes to her bones and he's gripping her hand, holding her in a way, but no... he's not holding her. He's begging her. She wants to be held, but she has to be begged to stay...

It's random, but it just comes out of her, "I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead; I lift my eyes and all is born again. I think I made you up inside my head..." A poem to ground perhaps? No, it's more than that, and she knows it. She doubts he'll be able to read into it for a moment, but it doesn't matter. A moment born anew.

He goes on to ask about Jennifer and Bellemy and she sees it for what it is. If he wants to take the subject off of Quinn, perhaps they could do something better with it. "What's your favorite poem?"
    | BP 2

4. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Equipment: Reinforced Jacket, Broadsword, Messenger Bag (flashlight, pen, notepad, binoculars, duct tape), Phone, Wallet ($50 cash)
    Combat Stats

PRE

Conner looks into those blue eyes, and fire turns to ice...
    2 successes

Oh God!!!...
    Hunger is overwhelmed by panic. Pure, unadulterated, sickening panic. No...NO!!! He wants so desperately to wrap his arms around Maeve and keep her here, in the woods. But she would run. And he would fail to catch her. Here he was, Prince of A Thousand Enemies without the legs to run to or away from anything.

Well, then...if he couldn't be El-A-Hrairah, then he would be Bigby in the tunnel.

Conner faces Maeve, and somewhere in the desperation and the aching, gnawing desire there is a fury bubbling through.
    "Maeve...I wish I knew the sorceries that would tell you that I'm not lying, but I don't. So, God help me, you will have to listen and trust me when I say I'm giving you the whole truth."

The Beast struggles to be heard; to conquer, to violate. But the Man speaks, cold and sure. "Quinn and I slept together, yes...when I was human. I came to her for help because I lost someone precious to me, and God help me, I've struggled with that decision ever since. There was a time when I wondered if there would be a chance for us to be something more, but that died the moment I set foot in Sacramento." It died the day you walked in. "Quinn and I have an understanding: we are not to be romantically involved. What happened in the past stays there. I have a responsibility to her as a Priscus, and I can't ignore that AND build the Lancea." She could respect that at least, she had to. ​"But you aren't my Priscus, you're not part of any of that. You aren't my duty, you're my choice. I...choose...you."

Maeve asks him his favorite poem, and he mentally flounders. Poetry wasn't a strong part of his education, but not entirely absent. He thinks back to before his time with Rowan or Quinn, back when he was Human. "All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost..." Tolkien had been a love of his since childhood; his stories were about hope and heroic defiance against all odds, and worth hidden deep behind weakness.
    The Full Poem

His whole body shudders with frustration.
    "I'm sorry. I just...I wish I could hold you. I wish I could just find a way to tell you how I feel and to let you know I'm not lying to you."

6. Likes liked this post

Maeve O'Ryan
    Presence
    (Forgettable Face)
    Dexterity
    (Graceful Movement)
    Clan Status
    (Mekhet)
    Allies
    (Street)
    Maeve O'Ryan

PRE

I choose you.

Those words seer themselves into her mind, repeating over and over again. She doesn't know how to tell her body that things might be okay because she's just overwhelmed with it all. But then her mind slows in its romance filled tracks. It has to. She can't just necessarily choose to believe him. Everyone else in her life lies to her, gives up her secrets, or leaves her for dead. What will make him anything different?

"Tolkien is always a good choice." The beginning of an olive branch, perhaps. She is quiet for a long moment, thinking about his words. Sometimes she can be hard to read, but she's just calculating how much she can take to lose. Will it be worth it this time?

Finally, she makes her own choice. She finally feels like she has one. Perhaps that's part of what does it, what makes it feel like it is her own. He doesn't get to make the choice for her. No one does and it is validating. "I don't trust Quinn, but I am going to choose to trust you." Those are hard words to say, because Maeve doesn't trust anyone. She likes to have one person she trusts at a time. Just one. Quinn was that one at first before she betrayed her, now, maybe it can be Conner? It doesn't have to be all romantic - proper feelings are borne out of trust and friendship. That's what needs to be built.

Maybe it was something lost in translation. She never planned to leave, only deal with him begging for her when all she wanted was to be held in the first place. Men.

"Then just hold me, Conner."

It doesn't have to be the most romantic hold. It could be something as simple as a tight hug or long cuddle, but it needed to be something to allow her to breathe for just a moment. Indulge her human side for just a moment. Allow her to be vulnerable and feel safe doing so. Perhaps he needed it as much as she did.
    | BP 2

8. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Combat Stats

PRE

The hunger-panic begins to subside, just a little. Conner smiles a bit at Maeve's compliment, but it's strained by worry. Had he messed up again? Was this just another disappointment? The azure Shadow's silence is suffocating.

Then she gives her ultimatum, and Conner lets the sigh of relief come without any attempt to conceal it. "I can live with that." And he meant it; he really could LIVE knowing that, at the very least, Maeve would trust him. Quinn was a big girl, she could find her own ways to win back Maeve's trust. And if she didn't...he didn't want to think of that.

QuoteQuote:
    "Then just hold me, Conner."

But he didn't have to think for long. Conner shifts, almost zombie-like in his movements, and pulls Maeve in close. He has both arms around her back and their heads are over opposite shoulders. And he just luxuriates in the sensation of holding someone knowing they weren't going to rip his head off or tell him he was doing something wrong. He lets his head slide just enough that it's leaning against Maeve's, her curly blue hair tickling his nose and forehead.

"Thank you."
    Is all he can say. All he has to say. Even if this was the only moment he took away from the Barrens, this would be enough. At least for now.

10. Likes liked this post

Maeve O'Ryan
    Presence
    (Forgettable Face)
    Dexterity
    (Graceful Movement)
    Clan Status
    (Mekhet)
    Allies
    (Street)
    Maeve O'Ryan

PRE

She smiles and closes her eyes, letting out a breath of relief the moment he takes her into his arms. There will always be the nagging of her beast, ready to feast, but for the moment all feels quiet. The blue-haired shadow wraps her arms around his neck, pulling him closer into the squeeze, but not too tight. She doesn't think she could squish him, but she didn't want to try to test that.

She rubs her head against his just a little, savoring the feeling of his cold skin, though she wish it were warm. One day it will be warm and it will be perfect. For now, this is a different kind of perfect. It is the kind of perfect where they can be exactly what they are but know they aren't monsters, but imperfect beings with imperfect feelings doing the best that they can.

And once more, the words echo in her head. I choose you. She hopes they stay like that. Innocent and pure.

"I'll trade you poems for quotes while we lay and cuddle, unless you just want to count the stars." She is a literary nerd, particularly with poems. It's something she used to do to keep her in touch with her human side, read and write poetry. Perhaps she'll start again.
    | BP 2

12. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Combat Stats

PRE

There is a good, long moment where Conner doesn't move. Doesn't think. Doesn't breathe. His undead nature luxuriating in their embrace in a way the living never could. Just being present. The one thing he does is smile, a contended look should Maeve catch it. The Beast was practically whining. What are you waiting for! She's practically gift-wrapped for you!!! You'll never get another chance like this! But he would; because now they were comfortable with each other. And for now, the lust that bubbled inside him was reduced to a simmer.

"I mean, I don't know if I'll be able to compete with your repertoire, but I'll go for a few rounds." He says, winking audaciously. Is it possible for one to be drunk on physical contact? If so, Conner was, admittedly, a lightweight. He settles himself down on the quilt, putting an arm around Maeve as she nestles down next to him. The other arm he keeps loose across his stomach, just in case she wants to take hold. ​"So, who starts this?"

14. Likes liked this post

Maeve O'Ryan
    Presence
    (Forgettable Face)
    Dexterity
    (Graceful Movement)
    Clan Status
    (Mekhet)
    Allies
    (Street)
    Maeve O'Ryan

PRE

"Well, I brought you an assortment of my favorites, so you'll have a chance to build up your rep. Plus, I think it might help keep you sane," she smiles and brings a hand up to take his free one, lacing her fingers with his. This was nice, technically, whatever this is. They're in a limbo state between being good friends and possibly lovers and... she's kind of happy there for now. They've 'chosen' each other, though rules and boundaries are not really a conversation yet aside from 'not Quinn.' So technically one could guess it was kind of like dating. Fuck. I haven't dated since... She wonders when she'll feel comfortable enough to talk about him.

"I'll start," she says, giving his hand a squeeze, "Mmm, here's a creepy but somewhat romantic one: I hid the love within my heart, And lit the laughter in my eyes, That when we meet he may not know My love that never dies..."

It was kind of a creeper poem. The girl who waits in the shadows for the boy, longing, but thinking her will of love will somehow impact his life. Maybe it does though. There are stranger things in the world, aren't there?

They lay there then, under the moonlight, tangled in a cuddle neither wants to end, shooting back quote and poetry line one after the other. There's laughter and some occasional awkward silences from a particularly pointed message, but it all leads back to the comfort of the moments. Nothing could spoil it because there wasn't a single outside force to act on it. To ruin it. It was just them and nothing else mattered but that.
    | BP 2

16. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Combat Stats

PRE

And so the Shadows lay under the stars, who looked down from their World of Darkness to see a most unusual scene. Was it safe? Heavens, no!

But it was good...

Bravo! Thanks for such a whirlwind Scene!

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
Closed Thread