Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Exchange Rate

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

"Agreed," Milton says with a genuine smile, pleased with the outcome of this second attempt at negotiation.

"Would you happen to have the thumb drive with you, Priscus? Or should I expected it to be delivered into my care later?" The sooner he has the necessary data, the sooner he can begin his work.

"Oh, no need to thank me. It's my pleasure. I wanted to provide you with a gift of real consequence. Something to show that I am serious about my desire to find the right footing in our relationship. I could think of no better way than making Mrs. Grenier available to you. I am pleased you were able to take advantage of my offer." It would have been acutely embarrassing had she declined.

"The Dragons, you say? I must admit, I know very little of the Ordo Dracul. Other than the most commonly available facts." Her mention of their knowledge has obviously captured his attention. "What kind of knowledge, exactly?"
    Health: Vitae: WP: BP: 1

2. Likes , pisces liked this post

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

+1
    SL
    PRE

Quinn felt lighter. Something she had wanted personally for a very long long time was finally lifted from her shoulders. Of course she would get paid her percentage for this transaction that would pay off beyond her wildest dreams, but it was a slow process, as Milton warned. She was patient, but this was the last barrier removed and all of that blood money would be in the rightful hands again. It was a huge payoff. Not that she was going to tell Milton that. She paid for her freedom from the coterie in fucking spades. So many had died for that money by her sire's hands. It was over at last. David and Abel could fuck right off into the goddamn sunrise for all she cared. No marriage, no fucking vinculum, nothing. They thought she couldn't surmount the obstacle. Abel had a very very nasty habit of underestimating his childe's resolve.

"Excellent." She spoke with feeling. "I do Mr. Northbridge. I prefer to be prepared for such things." She fished in her white quilted handbag, that matched her outfit perfectly. She produced the thumb drive and stood to deliver it to his hands. Passing it from her fingertips to his. Her fingertips brushed his briefly, and she didn't flinch away, just waited until she was sure his grasp was firm on the little bauble before retreating back to her seat.

"While you know that the First Estate focuses on the Dominion of the mortal influence and the preserving of tradition, the Ordo Dracul is interested in the Kindred state of being, and of Transcendence and changes to that condition. That's really all I care to discuss there, but it is a striking difference. A singular note amongst the Covenants."

4. Likes Endymion, Ruach liked this post

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

Milton leans forward and accepts the thumb drive with an appreciative nod. The brief physical contact, finger to finger, does not seem to register one way or another. It is only dead flesh rubbing against dead flesh. He pockets the device with a series of efficient gestures before returning to unbreathing stillness in the chair across from her.

"Ah..." he exhales the syllable as Quinn briefly touches on the Ordo's mission. Transcendence and changes to the Kindred condition? Sounds improbable. But, then again, there are things in this world that Milton Northbridge does not know and he is quite aware of that fact. Known knowns, known unknowns, unknown unknowns: the Rumsfeld Matrix, as it were.

"Well, I respect your brevity, Priscus. Such matters are not for uninitiated, yes?" He gives her a sad, little smile. Poor me. "I'm sure you understand my curiosity, even if you can't indulge it."

With that he pivots to another topic, perhaps as a prelude to yet another point of discussion: "And how is your Family? It was a pleasure to meet Ms. O'Ryan and Mr. Wells at the last court...despite the circumstances." A little frown at the memory of the Haunt being peeled like a piece of fruit. "Ms. O'Ryan, in particular, is very interesting. By all appearances," Milton might have said despite all appearances, "she possesses a sharp mind." It is clear that Milton prizes that quality. Or at least respects it.

6. Likes pisces liked this post

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

+1
    SL
    PRE

Quinn chuckles and shakes her head at his statement regarding the 'uninitiated' since Dirt Nap was more open than any other Ordo she ever met. "Oh I understand it perfectly, no worries on that. I'm not offended by curiosity. I find it rather refreshing. Most don't want to ask due to the rumors, as it is." She said with a little chuckle, some humor sliding in there in her expressions.

"They are learning. Which is important, and lucky for them I am stubborn as all hell and refuse to give up, so they have me in their corner. No matter what lessons have to be imparted. Hopefully regular court life will help them both adjust to the Crucible of Sacramento."

"And yet she cannot handle the basics of court? Feigning ignorance, when in fact there was no problem until she decided to just not show up? Let's hope she's intelligent enough to realize that Prince Antinori is done with her shit. There is only so much I can do for her at this point. If she doesn't walk that tight rope, I'll be using a dust buster." She murmured softly, and sighed unhappily.

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

"I am not one to give credence to rumors." Though he is happy to listen and, if it serves his purpose, to spread them. "If one is to learn, one cannot be dissuaded by unfounded fears and speculation." A thoughtful pause, "Though I imagine such tall tales serve a useful purpose for the Ordo Dracul. They build mystique with the right audience, and dissuade the wrong ones..." He appears to be musing, but it's also clear he's watching Quinn for a reaction to his words. Clever little corpse, this Milton.

He listens to her disquisition on her family with an air of understanding. Though it's unclear whether he truly feels sympathy or is simply feigning it. "Ours is a difficult society. I was raised in such an environment and, as a boy, at times struggled with the exacting standards." Indeed, his struggle was the source of many of his mother's fits of depressive rage. And even when he learned, she berated him. When she wasn't drunk that is. "I have faith they will adapt. And if you should need assistance in that regard, I am happy to offer my help. In any way I am able." Why not? These Shadows intrigue him. And it never hurts to insinuate himself into another Family's politics. Who knows what he might learn and what favors he might earn.

"Intelligence does not often equate with common sense, I'm afraid," Milton says with a rueful chuckle. "In fact, the two qualities can be diametrically opposed. But you are right: there are limits to the patience of the Prince. Justifiably so. And when those limits are reached, mercy can be hard to find, as we so recently saw." Milton's eyes search Quinn's face for a reaction. Would she take up that topic? Discuss Kowalsic's fate? "Perhaps that recent example will result in a...recalibration of Ms. O'Ryan's approach."

Another pause, "And what of Mr. Wells? Do you expect improvement on that front? I was fascinated to learn of his allegiance to the Second Estate."

9. Likes pisces liked this post

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

+1
    SL
    PRE

"'Rumors' is a mild way of putting it. Quite prudent of you Milton. The truth is often stranger than the rumors. " She paused to shrug one shoulder delicately. "Then again, isn't it always?" She didn't put much worry nor care in what was being said or discussed. Either Quinn played it incredibly close to the chest when it comes to the Order, or he wasn't hitting on anything that mattered.

That second part there, got Quinn's attention. She pursed her lips slightly, and raised both eyebrows and let them fall in unison. "I think I can figure it out Mr. Northbridge. Do not mistake my confiding in you for not understanding what my next moves are. I've already made them, I assure you." She said, and smiled gently to him, a mischievous light in her eyes. Of course as soon as it was seen it faded, like a shooting star, so quick it made you wonder if you'd seen it at all.

Quinn watched Milton as he broached the topic of Kowalsic's punishment so delicately. Of course Quinn was good at channel surfing and reading others in the moment, and Milton's feelings were bare to her keen observance that night. "Everyone feels so sorry for Kowalsic huh? I don't. Imagine if his lies were to be believed? I dare say someone as long standing and trusted as Twist being a traitor would have been her final death. The higher you climb the further you have to fall. Kindred always forget that little fact while they are looking down their nose at others. Kowalsic knew what he was doing, performed the trick poorly, got caught, and was punished. Hell he was allowed to leave the domain alive. That is mercy, Mr. Northbridge."
    Quinn didn't have a comment on whether or not watching someone be skinned would deter Maeve or not. They would see.

"I have the utmost faith in Mr. Wells to pull this out. He has strength in him that few would guess at. I feel he will do well as long as he tones down his enthusiasm a bit. Allow others to get to know him organically."
    She spoke of him like a puppy who came to her dirty and just needed a bath, and rest period. With interest and some affection, but detached.

11. Likes Endymion liked this post

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

Ah, Quinn. Ever prickly. Ready to perceive a slight. Oh well.

"Pardon me, Priscus. I did not mean to offend. And I would not be so stupid as to underestimate you." A friendly smile, though a touch rigid, which somehow renders it slightly predatory. "Please do not mistake my offer to assist, meant only as a friendly gesture, for condescension."

How are they ever to develop a working relationship if this is to be the tenor of their interactions? Just get through this contract, Milton. You've dealt with worse.

And then comes Quinn's diatribe concerning the recent flaying in the town square. It seems the night might've taken a turn. Milton resolves that their interview should end soon.

Milton forces himself to blink once or twice, looking quizzical. The motion is obviously fake and therefore meant to carry a specific message. "My apologies, Priscus. I am a little confused. Did I suggest that I pity Mr. Kowalsic? If that was your perception, allow me to put such a thought to rest. I would have rather seen him...disposed of there and then." If anything it would've been more efficient and less of a mess.

Concerning Mr. Wells: "Well, I am happy to hear that. I would love for him to last long enough for us to discuss his faith. A fascinating business, Kindred religion. I'm keen to learn more. Does the topic hold any interest for you?"

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

+1
    SL
    PRE

"You are not offending me, Mr. Northbridge. No worries about that." She said gently, but her expression softened as well letting him know it was genuine.

She nodded slightly watching him a moment, and looking thoughtful. "I too, was expecting a death sentence, but the Prince has proven prudent in her judgement. Kowalsic can be useful somewhere else. Flaying and a Banishment isn't the worst thing I can think of or have seen personally in a court, though it certainly does make a point, doesn't it?"

"Kindred religion is a touchy subject. I try to stay away from that side of things as much as I can. I mean, I am familiar with the Testament of Longinus. I had a full education, and my Grandsire was certainly a member of the Lance, but I'm afraid I don't hold Mr. Well's faith." She paused and grinned at him. "I tell you what...if Mr. Well's ever gets a mass going, you and I should attend together. Since we are both curious, but not committed."

Quinn smiled then and nodded to herself. She enjoyed that plan. It would be interesting to see Milton's reaction to something like that. Enough so that a sparkle of humor entered her features.

"Well. I think our evening has come to a natural conclusion Mr. Northbridge. I will be considering your lesson plan over the next few weeks, and lets keep eyes on our calendars to get together then, and begin a bit of the heavier lifting of understanding the novice level of Auspex."

We are at three days, so if you'd like to close us out! Go for it! Thank you for an incredible scene!

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

"I am glad to hear that," Milton says with a polite smile. "I look forward to a productive relationship, Priscus. I do not like the idea of misunderstandings getting in the way of our future endeavors. I think we can do much for one another." It is clear to Milton that Quinn, much like himself, is an ambitious monster. If they can hold together an alliance, who knows what heights they might reach.

"My point exactly," he replies concerning the Flayed Man. "Final Death sends a message, but can lack subtly. Even if it might be judged more appropriate." A head is lopped off. Someone is set afire. An offender is staked and left for the sun. "The Prince's judgement was so much more...nuanced. I am sure you agree that there are layers of meaning to unpack in what was done to Mr. Kowalsic." A long look at that last part, because Milton is quite sure that Quinn is also always searching for hidden meaning.

Quinn's read on the minefield of Kindred religion is met with an appreciative nod and chuckle. "Quite so, Priscus. And I accept your offer. If and when Mr. Wells holds mass, we shall attend together. It will be nice to have someone impartial to...discuss the proceedings with afterward."

"Very good," the Lord says, standing. "I very much appreciate your time, Priscus. I will begin work on your estate right away and be in touch with updates as soon as possible."

After giving Quinn time to gather her things, Milton shows her to the door, offering her one final "Good Evening," before she is gone into the night.

Alone again, save for the snores of Mrs. Grenier in the bedroom, Milton turns to the process of cleaning the suite. Within the hour, he will be gone himself, with no traces of his presence left behind. And when Mrs. Grenier wakes in the morning, she will be thankful for her accountant, who kindly allowed his overtired client to get some much needed rest at his own expense.

Thank you for the fantastic scene!

15. Likes pisces liked this post
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
Closed Thread