Ended
Watch

Having Guru Over

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Jun 18, 2021 : Kaze texts Guru
Kaze texts Crystal
Jul 16, 2021 - Jul 20, 2021
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    Striking Looks
    (An Extremely Fit and Healthy Glow)
    Presence
    (Disconcertingly easy to talk to and open up)
    Toxin Resistance
    (+2 vs drugs, alcohol and toxins)
    New Identity(Steven Chojun Trueheart)
    Kaze

Nimbus. The sound of rushing wind and flashes of lightning surround Kaze, and his clothes and hair move as if he is in a windstorm.
    Monthly Rits

Monthly Rits Spell Cloaks Spells do not show unless scrutinized
    Transform Aura pot 1 (Aura is as a Sleeper)
    Organic Resilience (Life Mage Armor 2e) pot 3 ( Armor 2; Defense 2 + Higher of Dex or Wits)
    Body Mastery pot 1 (x2 rate healing Bash, Letha, Agravated; +1 success on all extended and instant rolls to resist diseases, poisons or drugs; +100 years lifespan)

Scene specific spells: in mini-sheet 4
    Scene Specific

(Portrait) Portrait of an Angel
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 3 ( +1 vs Bashing: Kung Fu 1)
    Defense 5
    Vulgar -1
    Active Spells: 3/5
    Personal Spells: 3
    Spell Tolerance: 3/3 Spell Rolls
    [1]Transform Aura[M]
    [2] Supernal Vision[D]
    [2] Organic Resilience[M]
    Key: Potency | Effect declaration if needed | Turns remaining ("M" = Monthly Ritual)

(Bad House) The Return
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Defense 9 (Dex 6 from Honing the Form)
    Vulgar -1
    [4] Honing the Form
    [3] Organic Resilience Aurora's Life 5
    [2] Body Control [M]
    Key: Potency | Effect declaration if needed | Turns remaining ("M" = Monthly Ritual)

+2
    SL
    PRE

"Come on in, do you want something to drink?" Kaze asks as he answers the door when Guru arrives.

Kaze's condo is a second floor walk up in a gated community called, 'Woodside' nearby the University of Sacramento. Inside the floor plan is spacious and airy with a private balcony and vaulted ceilings that make it feel open despite only being a 1 bedroom; 1 bathroom unit. The living room has two fairly nice oak chairs with a coffee table in between. In one corner is a large cage holding a number of pigeons, 8 to be precise if one takes the time to count them. The cage is about five feet square and about four feet high, with boxes mounted inside for roosting pairs. The cooing of the birds is omnipresent though not particularly loud. A 55 inch flat screen television has been mounted up on the wall above the cage with a glass media shelf under it with a sound bar of speakers and a cable box and what looks like a camera aimed down at the cage.

There are stacks of books on the floor and on the counter of the kitchen area, and the bedroom itself has a high king sized platform bed with a desk underneath with a computer on it, and a swivel chair. Beside the bed, there is a padded mat on the floor and a wooden post with dowels projecting out that might be recognized as a kung fu training equipment, or just look like something for cats or maybe the pigeons. There is a holder on the bedroom wall for various staves and a set of two sheathed swords, one with about a three foot blade and another with about a two foot blade, both of them slightly curved.

On the counter is an unopened bottle of whiskey.
    Spells: Monthly Rits Transform Aura (aura appears to be a sleeper) Spell Cloaks (See mini-sheet)

2. Likes Aeolus liked this post
    Striking Looks
    (Sculpted)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Presence
    (Cheery)
    Allies
    (Criminals)
    Guru

Nimbus:
    Appears like there's a filter that blurs his image, the background suddenly more lush and vibrant than it once was. Tendrils of vines slowly edging their way to the borders of that veil.

Monthly Spells:
    Pulse of the Living World: Pot-3
    Organic Resilience Pot -3
    Evidence Shroud Pot: 3
    Scene Trackers

Curtain Call:

PotLW/Sense Life (2/2)
    Org Res (5)
    Evidence Shroud (4) L+M
    Spell Limit: 3/6
    Spell Tolerance 3/3

+1
    SL
    PRE

Guru was dressed for a hot Sacramento day, khaki shorts, his burks, a plain white short sleeve tee, and his aviators. He didn't know what he had been expecting but it hadn't been something like this, definitely not a gated community though it was nice added security. Then as he was given the tour he definitely hadn't been expecting birds, he figured Kaze more for a dog guy. "Homing pigeons?" He couldn't figure out any other reason one someone might have that many pigeons.

Then his eyes settled on the prize on the table and he whistled. "Well you are a mighty fine host sir. So what do I owe the privilege of the house call for?" He had to admit that his interest was piqued, it wasn't often he got house calls, hell it wasn't often he made any himself so there had to be something big and private to talk about.

4. Likes Aeolus, Ruach liked this post
    Striking Looks
    Presence
    Toxin Resistance
    Kaze

Nimbus. The sound of rushing wind and flashes of lightning surround Kaze, and his clothes and hair move as if he is in a windstorm.
    Monthly Rits

Organic Resilience (Life Mage Armor 2e) pot 3 ( Armor 2; Defense 2 + Higher of Dex or Wits)
    Body Mastery pot 1 (x2 rate healing Bash, Letha, Agravated; +1 success on all extended and instant rolls to resist diseases, poisons or drugs; +100 years lifespan)

Scene Specific

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Defense 5
    Vulgar -1
    [1]Transform Aura[M]
    [2] Supernal Vision[D]

(Bad House) The Return
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Vulgar -1
    [4] Honing the Form
    [2] Body Control [M]

+2
    SL
    PRE

Kaze grins and pours out two shots of the whiskey, offering Guru his choice of which one to accept as his drink.

"Yeah, the homing thing is interesting. They are mated pairs, so that works out. Also, they are legal to keep, since they aren't protected as a native, wild animal." Kaze says, smiling. "I can heal them of diseases, so the main downside of keeping them isn't a problem."

Part of what he wants to understand better about Guru is how much does he respect other people wanting to follow the rules.

"I've been really interested for a while in Shapechanging, especially birds." He explains.

After they both have gotten comfortable, having sat down and at least sipped their whiskey, Kaze nods and smiles, "So yeah. The thing is, I have been thinking for a while about starting a Cabal." He offers.

"To me, it's a combination of things. I feel like, as an Apostate, or maybe it's just me, I feel like I am not really represented in the Consilium. I was an Arrow, and I remember the feeling of being part of a group that was represented, looked out for each other, you know? I am not seeing myself joining an Order again, but I feel like a Cabal, for the purpose of sticking together in Consilium, helping each other learn and improve practicing magic, and generally being a stabilizing force in our community, not just the Awakened Community, you know, like how we checked out that House that one time? Checking stuff out and taking care of it when it's out of hand, or at least reporting it, you know?"

"Is that something you could see yourself being into?" Kaze asks.
    Spells: Monthly Rits Transform Aura (aura appears to be a sleeper) Spell Cloaks (See mini-sheet)

6. Likes Aeolus, Shane liked this post
    Striking Looks
    (Sculpted)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Presence
    (Cheery)
    Allies
    (Criminals)
    Guru

Nimbus:
    Appears like there's a filter that blurs his image, the background suddenly more lush and vibrant than it once was. Tendrils of vines slowly edging their way to the borders of that veil.

Monthly Spells:
    Scene Trackers

Curtain Call:

PotLW/Sense Life (2/2)
    Org Res (5)
    Evidence Shroud (4) L+M
    Spell Tolerance 3/3

+1
    SL
    PRE

Guru didn't hesitate when the shot was poured, he brought his glass up in a toast, knocked it on the table and then knocked it back. A ritual habit picked up a long time ago. Exhaling the fire that came after before setting the glass back down. "Doesn't that seem like an irresponsible use of our gift though?" He couldn't help but smirk and shake his head. "Look at me, one drink in and trying to debate already."

"Birds is a good choice, they are top tier predators. I saw an eagle pick up a deer once and just chuck it down a cliff. Wild shit." Guru didn't sit so much as lean, elbow resting on the table as Kaze said the word Cabal and he nodded slowly understanding immediately dawning on him. Guru picked up the bottle, holding it for a second to get the nod of ok before pouring himself a second one and offering to refill Kaze's as he spoke.

"It's actually a really good idea, gives weight to an Apostate's word. Instead of one voice it's many. You're gonna have to give me the lowdown on what made you leave the Arrow one day, you know. Now let's say hypothetically I was thinking of joining an Order, wouldn't that be a conflict of interest? Otherwise, yea, I mean none of what you said sounds bad, but what's the catch. I've usually found if something is to good to be true it's because it is. Besides aren't we the only Apostates now? You know where B.R. went anyway?"

Guru then took his shot before setting the glass back down, the ritual completed once more.

8. Likes Aeolus, Ruach liked this post
    Striking Looks
    Presence
    Toxin Resistance
    Kaze

Monthly Rits

Scene Specific

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Defense 5
    Vulgar -1
    [1]Transform Aura[M]
    [2] Supernal Vision[D]

(Bad House) The Return
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Vulgar -1
    [4] Honing the Form
    [2] Body Control [M]

+2
    SL
    PRE

Kaze grins, "I figure, if you don't practice it when it's not life or death, you won't be able to handle it when it is." He says in response to Guru's question about healing birds, or being a bird, either way. "I mean, obviously that's not original to me, but I do believe it."

Kaze just smiles wistfully, reminiscent when Guru describes the awesomeness of eagles. "Yeah." He says almost dreamily.

Then he looks at Guru. "I was doing it a lot. At the Lesser level, you know? Where you can lose your mind to the animal instinct? And yeah, I got convinced, it is irresponsible. I want even more to work up to doing it at the Master level now." Kaze says.

He shrugs when Guru asks what the catch is. "I guess the catch is, nobody's perfect? I mean, I'm a goody two shoes, and you...well, if you're not a stoner, I apologize, but you seem to be. We are definitely going to get on each other's nerves sometimes I feel like...but you stuck around, you know? You haven't bailed when most of the people that come in here have. And...you're a good guy. You don't step on people just because you can. You hold back not you know, 'putting someone in their place' when they screw up. I totally respect that."

Kaze shrugs again, "Also, I guess it depends on how you get along with Crystal. So far, it's just him and me. He's not Apostate, just someone I feel like I can trust with the same goals. Some of them anyway. He's another person, I feel like, he doesn't flex on people just to make himself feel like a big shot. I feel like, there should be a political unit of some people like that, a bloc, you know? That's kind of what I mean by, 'a stabilizing influence'. Partly anyway."

10. Likes Aeolus liked this post
    Striking Looks
    (Sculpted)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Presence
    (Cheery)
    Allies
    (Criminals)
    Guru

Nimbus:

Monthly Spells:
    Scene Trackers

Curtain Call:

PotLW/Sense Life (2/2)
    Org Res (5)
    Evidence Shroud (4) L+M
    Spell Tolerance 3/3

+1
    SL
    PRE

"That's true but with every bit of practice you're still reaching across the Abyss, it carries an inherent risk that your intent, your will, will be twisted into something else." He shrugged, he was being a hypocrite of course, but he didn't use his gifts as often as he might otherwise. But he knew as soon as his experiments started his tolerance for risk turned into a chasm. That thought made him sad, noting the loss of a stable guiding voice that he'd recently lost.

"I haven't messed around with it on that levels. Claws, fangs, things like that, but never fully transforming. You're a bit more advanced there than I am. My studies have taken me down a different path for now. Wait, are you a Master now?" It having taken him a second for that to register, if so he was well beyond Guru's understanding of Life. "You working with Aurora?" She was the only Master he knew, it would make sense.

He couldn't help but laugh at Kaze's initial response. "Cheers to that, shit if that isn't true." His hands coming to clutch at his chest in mock shock and anguish. "A stoner, I am hurt! I am much more than a simple stoner. I'm also a distributor, grower, I wear many hats." He finished the joke with a laugh. "I see your point though. I appreciate the positive spin on my political apathy though, I just figured as an Apostate it really isn't my place to interfere in the Consilium's business." His eyes narrowed when he spoke on putting people down and stepping on them though. "Referencing someone specific?"

He couldn't help but smile wryly at that. "Not my style, I go along to get along. People stay out of my business, I stay out of theirs. It's a simple, unspoken agreement. If people have to step in to help clean up a mess I make, I expect to pay a price for that so I keep my head down.

"Shit. I'd say Crystal and I get along like gang busters haven't met any other psychonauts among our number." Astral Diving might be the next step for a devoted psychonaut but that was an ability that was well out of reach for the Shaman unfortunately, especially with his other goals. "So you want a tempering force, a neutral block, political Sweden if you will. Or was it Switzerland, I think it's Switzerland. Shit, I can never remember."

12. Likes Aeolus, Ruach liked this post
    Striking Looks
    Presence
    Toxin Resistance
    Kaze

Monthly Rits

Scene Specific

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Defense 5
    Vulgar -1
    [1]Transform Aura[M]
    [2] Supernal Vision[D]

(Bad House) The Return
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Vulgar -1
    [4] Honing the Form
    [2] Body Control [M]

+2
    SL
    PRE

Kaze nods when Guru expresses caution and respect, at least in theory, for the Abyss and the risk of using magic. "Yeah. You're right. I work on absorbing any Paradox, but that doesn't mean it isn't a risk to...everything." He agrees soberly. "I just don't believe being Awakened is about being afraid. Respectful, yeah, but not living afraid. At least, hey I know, that probably sounds naïve, guilty as charged, I guess. That's not like, a thing I try to push...just for me and where I'm at. Being Awakened is part of who I am, and I am really into being me now. You know, by trial and error."

Kaze grins, "Aurora is super respectful of the responsibility of being Awakened. She's a great role model. She said she is not ready to Mentor anyone, tho, so yeah, I have been learning from her, but no, I am not really 'working' with her, not on the stuff I need to work on to become a real Master of Life, or anything."

He looks Guru in the eyes. "Honestly? Another reason, call it a bonus, not the main reason I am hoping you will join me and Crystal, is so you can mentor me in Life. It's a Path thing. You don't have to be further in it than me, you just have to be willing to mentor me in the stuff that comes naturally, instinct and intuition, like, from being Thyrsus."

Kaze grins when Guru expands on Kaze's characterization of him rather than denying it! "Yeah. That. See, goody two shoes, Obrimos, rule follower me." He says, pointing at himself and laughing. "I figure, we're compatible tho. Neither of us is into trying to change people. I mean, I'm not trying to get you to change your line of work, and you're not trying to recruit me into it." He laughs again.

Then, more seriously. "So, that is a thing tho, to work out, if we do this. Like, I'm not going to narc on you or interfere in your business, and you're not going to involve me or my place in actual drug deals or stashes." Kaze says. "Oh, and we figured on going in together on a separate place for the Cabal, you know? A Sanctum just for the Cabal, where any of us could use it or crash or whatever, but none of use plan on living there full time."

He looks even more serious when Guru asks if Kaze is implicating any Mage in particular when he says what he isn't looking for in a Cabal mate.

Kaze shakes his head. "I don't want to do that. Crystal has someone in mind, but I don't. At least, I am committed to really getting to know people, and positive interactions, even if there's a first impression or a side of them I don't like." He says in an upbeat tone.

Then he shrugs, "But yeah I guess I am a hypocrite, because Aurora has talked to me a couple times about getting to know Winter better, and I'm just not down with that." Kaze admits.

Kaze grins, "See...that's the thing. I want to form a Cabal, where we will help each other out, like, if we ask, you know, not interfering, and even help clean up each others messes without making a big deal out of it." He says in a hopeful, positive tone. "Like, that's for fellow Cabal members, sure. But as a Cabal, I also want to be a group that is known for having each others back, but not throwing our weight around just to feel like bigshots either."

He laughs, "I have to admit, I kind of am hoping for a little more than just being neutral, like, more than 'we won't mess with you if you don't mess with us'." Kaze says. "I mean, I don't see myself being a leader like calling the shots or anything, but if we all agree, I could see us having a principle of using our clout as a group in Colsilium to kind of, like, 'pump the brakes' on any kind of witch hunt or formal accusation that looks to crucify someone. I'm not saying be public defenders, exactly, but honestly the first person I asked was Naga, because I really wanted a Ladder, for the whole Law and Lex type expertise, to just be a moderating force on people who aren't experts getting run over by a truck by people who are."

Kaze grins and shrugs. "Naga said she'd think about it, and that was a while ago, so I'm thinking it was a diplomatic 'no'. I like the way Eulogy spoke up though. I talked with Crystal about inviting him to join a Cabal too."

Kaze smiles and laughs, "See...I have no idea what you mean by 'Psychonaut'!" He admits. "You mean the Mind Arcana?" He guesses. "That's what I mean though, being able to just talk together about what we know and don't know, about magic, and help each other."

14. Likes Shane, Aeolus liked this post
    Striking Looks
    (Sculpted)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Presence
    (Cheery)
    Allies
    (Criminals)
    Guru

Nimbus:

Monthly Spells:
    Scene Trackers

Curtain Call:

PotLW/Sense Life (2/2)
    Org Res (5)
    Evidence Shroud (4) L+M
    Spell Tolerance 3/3

+1
    SL
    PRE

“Shit, not saying you shouldn’t be anything other than yourself. Respect for the danger is good, a little fear is fine. You ever handle anything dangerous before awakening? It’s like my chemical work, I know what I’m doing by this point, but I still don the appropriate gear and take the appropriate measures to protect myself because its dangerous by nature. Sounds like you’re doing that which is all anyone can really ask. Well…” He trailed off his mind completing that thought instead as he shrugged. He wasn’t going to dwell too much on it.

“Sounds like she’s mentoring you already but doesn’t want to commit. I fuckin’ get that, it’s a lot of responsibility. Sounds like she’s moving in that direction though if you keep with it. Just be patient, she can still come around if you wait a bit.” He wasn’t surprised she took it this seriously, it was a lot. It was possible that what he did with that knowledge could be a reflection on her, also possible she didn’t think he was ready for it yet. Curious to see what happened there.

Guru for the most part was still, leant against the table, one elbow resting along the edge leaning in as they had this conversation. His hand flailing away as he couldn’t help but speak with them too then he dropped the bomb and he chewed on it a bit. “I could but I wouldn’t do it without talking to Aurora first, I want to make sure she isn’t getting you ready and I’m not stepping on any toes or lessons she’s got prepped. But, you sure you know what your asking?” He had just called him out on being a stoner, a mischievous smirk resting on his face.

Kaze started the next bit all serious and Guru grew still, listening and then when he made his comment about Winter he couldn’t help but laugh. “Shit. Everyone’s got a double standard somewhere. He’s not around too much, maybe takes himself a bit too seriously, but you could say the opposite about me. I’m on the wait and see but don’t give up any intel on that front. I’m with you though, I prefer to get along with people, there’s usually something in everyone I can find that’s positive.” His head waffled back and forth before he shrugged, he knew there were certain behaviors and attitudes left over from his old life that might get in the way of that at times.

The next bit is where Guru was divided, the remnants of his old life told him that weakness was exploited and that strength was all that mattered. Power. Power enough to insolate yourself from the ramifications of most decisions and mistakes, but it wasn’t who he was anymore. He’d shed that skin. “It’s a nice dream but it’s tricky to manage. Having people you can trust to have your back is huge. But we’d have to watch for resentment building and there might be things that divide us in our belief. Things that are hard lines for all three of us. What will we do then? “

It was an open question, one without answer, at least one Guru himself didn’t possess. His lips pulled into a thin line as he considered the next bit. “I feel like Anima was done dirty too for merely pointing out a historical festival and its context. He didn’t do himself any favors by lying and pressing the issue though, Pride goeth, you know the rest. Yea, I’m not really interested in joining Sacramento SVU if that’s what we’re thinking. Investigating anomalies, looking out for each other, dealing with problems that effect us. I, personally, want to stay as far away from the Lex and Law as possible. My dislike for Law and authority hasn’t died just because my old life has. That much is for sure. The more you go to bat for people in that department the more others are going to want to wield it against you, the more attention you’ll bring.”

He shook his head, he was all for lying low and keeping out of the way so he could skirt by hopefully unnoticed. The goofy stoner could remain the goofy stoner and he could continue his work entirely unimpeded. “Naga is a good choice though. She hasn’t been around but I was thinking about keeping her on retainer, you know, just in case. Eulogy seems like a good choice, he’s a Ladder so theoretically he’ll know the Lex better than anyone else.”

He gave a small chuckle at the misunderstanding of Psychonaut, then paused, thought about it and then realized Kaze was right. Astral travelers had him beat there, to a point of jealous envy in his chest that he wished he could experience as well. “Nah, I use psychadelics to expand my consciousness, understanding, and self-awareness. Sometimes also for fun.” He laughed again, a loud one at that, no longer leaning on the table but pacing back and forth as he considered Kaze’s offer.

“Those are great things and a lot of what you’re looking for would normally be provided by an Order…I’d think.” He shrugged; he really had no idea. Even if considering or joining one it was still so new to him he didn’t know what to expect. “I mean most of what you said sounds like an Alliance with sharing knowledge and protection. I’m down for that. I don’t know about getting involved in legal matters for others though, that’s asking to take on a lot of possible heat. That’s a big ask.”

16. Likes Aeolus, Ruach liked this post
    Striking Looks
    Presence
    Toxin Resistance
    Kaze

Monthly Rits

Scene Specific

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Defense 5
    Vulgar -1
    [1]Transform Aura[M]
    [2] Supernal Vision[D]

(Bad House) The Return
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Vulgar -1
    [4] Honing the Form
    [2] Body Control [M]

+2
    SL
    PRE

Kaze just smiles and nods and says "Okay." When Guru says he's wary of mentoring Kaze, if Aurora isn't doing it, or if she is, either way, it sounds like. He looks a little disappointed, but gets over it.

He grins again when Guru talks about feeling like Anima got a raw deal, but not wanting to commit to jumping into things like that, with the Law.

"Yeah, you know what? I feel like we should make it so the whole Cabal isn't committed to anything unless it's unanimous, you know?" Kaze says.

He shrugs, "I don't want to be involved in political or legal issues either...but you know what they say, 'They came for the Jews, and I didn't say anything, because I wasn't a Jew...when they came for me, there was no one left to say anything'."

Kaze looks serious. "I don't want to make it a thing, mandatory to have a Cabal or to be in it, but I do think, if we don't stick up for the loners or the ignorant, like, the easy targets, then the people who like to use the Law to take advantage of them or put them down or 'put them in their place' will come for us too, sooner or later. I feel like it's better to at least be like a speed bump before it's one or more of us on trial."

18. Likes Aeolus liked this post
    Striking Looks
    (Sculpted)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Presence
    (Cheery)
    Allies
    (Criminals)
    Guru

Nimbus:

Monthly Spells:
    Scene Trackers

Curtain Call:

PotLW/Sense Life (2/2)
    Org Res (5)
    Evidence Shroud (4) L+M
    Spell Tolerance 3/3

+1
    SL
    PRE

Guru just nodded, finger tipping the empty shot glass and frowned slightly. If he was in for one of these nights he was definitely going to need more whiskey, though more to sip on than anything. "If we're going down this road I'm going to need a bigger glass to drink from." He emphasized the point with a laugh, there was danger in unanimity, all it took was one person to stonewall.

Guru clicked his tongue, his pulling back into an incredulous look as he let out an exhale when Kaze went straight into an appeal to emotion. "Man c'mon, you jump right into Godwin's Law? This isn't AT ALL, heavy emphasis on the AT ALL, like that. What happened there was one dog barking to be taken seriously and then other one saying it didn't step in shit when its paws are covered."

Guru's skin began to flush as he grew excited, not leaning on the table anymore but standing, shuffling his mind going active again, alcohol barely slowing those synapses at the moment. Guru couldn't help but shake his head. "Man the Law has always been a tool for the powerful to keep the weak corralled. The only way to wield the Law is to have power." He let out a breath, shaking out his hands as he felt himself getting worked up.

"So, yea, you're correct. I have authority issues, I just don't think you can wield your opponents weapon against them. Shit, might be mixing up my metaphors there. I'm definitely going to need that drink now. I'm all for protecting the weak, the disenfranchised, whole shabang. You're not talking ripples man, you're talking waves."

20. Likes Aeolus, Ruach liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread