(Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Walls and the Floor become slightly tilted, there's a sickly sweet and sharp smell in the air. Faintly, the sound chains (and even fainter: the sound of leather) can be heard. More powerful spells make the sounds more pronounced and colors seem to pulsate.
    Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0
    Active Spells: 1/4
    Personal Spells: 1

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

Another round of Beer it was. They shared the believe in the magical problem-solving properties of alcohol without knowing. He listened to Aurora's further take and just nodded along. He could add to it, but at that point they might just go around in circles. "I totally agree. Maybe making sure that the adults outnumber the preschoolers is the best strategy going forward." He shrugged. "Maybe once that happens the non-political-ness will come automatically." As if he was interested in the offered sainthood. He took a few sips of beer. "Probably just wishful thinking. Thanks for your opinion though. I'll sleep over it."
    Did he really want to enter that mess and butt heads with Puck or similarly minded Mages? Staying out of it would be easier, but there might be be a point where 'easy' just wouldn't cut it anymore.

He forced himself to drop that topic and kick his mind into gear to brainstorm things that could help Aurora. "Hm, do you have any idea where you want to start? How ancient are we talking?" He furrowed his brows for a moment - languages hadn't been a focus during his time in college, but his mentor really dogged him about them and his memory just tended to keep all those nerdy facts once read.

4 successes

"Old English could be a starting point since, you know." He gave her a cocky smile. "Really similar to what we already know. It dates back to ca. 700 A.D., and it at first was written in runes - if you want to spice it up. Around that time you've also got Breton or - a bit earlier - Gothic." It was almost as if Crystal was seeing all those facts before his eyes and was reading them off of something. "That'd be some medieval stuff. Going back further you have your classics: Hebrew, Etruscan, Sanskrit..There really is a lot to chose from, so narrowing it down might help. Any topic you're interested in?" Maybe it was their budding study-group vibe, maybe it was the beer but he really didn't mind nerding out at that moment.
    Health: Willpower: Mana:

Aurora
    Spells
    Striking Looks
    (Riveting)
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Fame
    (Entertainment)
    Madison Cross
    (Sleeper ID)
    Gnosis
    Aurora
    Aurora

Dedicated Magical Tool

Multicolored copper bracelet with intricate loops winding around her right wrist.
    Nimbus

The sweet, fragrant smells of roses mixed with lilacs emanate from her as she casts magic. The scent intensifies, bordering on intoxicating, when Life magic is cast. When Aurora casts Vulgar magic, the scent takes a nasty turn, to the putrid, nauseating odor of a rotting corpse. The stronger the magic, the more those around want to retch at the smell.
    Monthly Spells

Monthly spells done on character sheet.

Pulse of the Living World[POT 6]
    Organic Resilience[POT 6]
    (PrP Treasure Hunt)

Active Spells: 1/6
    [Detect Substance]Bone
    Personal Spells: 2/3
    Vulgar:
    Mana:6/8
    WP:3

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

There was a smirk and a chuckle, “That is usually the best way to go about it. But we don’t get to decide the ratio of adults to children.” Then a sigh, “Don’t get me wrong, I get that it’s part of life, the whole politics thing. But it’s just exhausting with how passionate some are about it, and how passionate some are against it. It was part of the reason I stopped being a lawyer, my brain was done.” And life was too short in her opinion. “We do need more adults in it though.” A small smile offered. She could see him doing well, he seemed to have an even head on his shoulders.

Languages.

“Well, I started by brushing up on my French, which isn’t ancient or anything. But it got me back into the pleasure of learning a new language. From there I drove into Latin.” Yeah, the Shaman spoke Latin. It was weird. But fun! Taking another drink, “From there?” a shrug, “I was debating something like Arabic. But I’ve come to wall of having a hard time finding the books I want. My venture into this was to help the book club, maybe expand my library enough to be useful to it.”

Then a surprise! He was actually quite knowledgeable on it!

“Have to say, you are sounding like an expert on the matter.” She praises. “But as far as a specific topic? Well, there is one. But it’s not one I can really discuss here and now.” She didn’t want to come up with coded speak for that. “There was an event in my life that I want to look into, learn more about. And to do that, I believe my path leads me towards that of someone who acquires things for the book club. So I am seeking to educate myself as much as I can.”

3. Likes Aeolus liked this post
    Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Walls and the Floor become slightly tilted, there's a sickly sweet and sharp smell in the air. Faintly, the sound chains (and even fainter: the sound of leather) can be heard. More powerful spells make the sounds more pronounced and colors seem to pulsate.
    Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

A slow nod. "Right, also I guess the definition of 'adult' changes from person to person. I bet everybody involved felt mighty mature in May, even though it looked like proper clownery to everybody else." But he didn't want to push that topic either. He could understand Aurora's exhaustion - fuck he was beginning to feel it too,which called for another hearty gulp of beer.

For someone claiming to be of no use when it came to academic pursuits the Shaman was full of surprises. "I respect the hustle - very much in the spirit of our little book club. Is Corny rubbing off on you?" The shit-eating grin made it clear that he was just messing with her a bit. He would be a crappy Mystagogue if he didn't encourage those kind of ambitions and Corn - while being pretty intense about it - had the right idea. "If you're up for it: I still have some Hebrew books lying around at home. Like, a dictionary, a 101 on grammar and some 'original' editions of a few books. When I got here I was a bit into Goeticism and stuff, those are a few remains." He conveniently left out the part where he didn't keep at it for long. Oh well.

Were it someone else making that kind of compliment Crystal would have rolled with it. With Aurora? He probably couldn't bullshit her, nor did he want to. "Not an expert, I just have a good memory and read an overview about ancient languages once. Doesn't go much further than that surface level and I don't speak a lick of any one of those languages." His demeanour became a bit more somber when talked about her motivations. "Understood. Well, maybe I could help you enough to get started - we can always go deeper another time if you want." Speaking of: "You up for another round? Shots?"

5. Likes Ruach liked this post
    Aurora
    Spells
    Striking Looks
    (Riveting)
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Fame
    (Entertainment)
    Madison Cross
    (Sleeper ID)
    Gnosis
    Aurora
    Aurora

Dedicated Magical Tool

Multicolored copper bracelet with intricate loops winding around her right wrist.
    Nimbus

The sweet, fragrant smells of roses mixed with lilacs emanate from her as she casts magic. The scent intensifies, bordering on intoxicating, when Life magic is cast. When Aurora casts Vulgar magic, the scent takes a nasty turn, to the putrid, nauseating odor of a rotting corpse. The stronger the magic, the more those around want to retch at the smell.
    Monthly Spells

(PrP Treasure Hunt)

[Detect Substance]Bone
    Vulgar:

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

A sigh, a gulp of beer, “It was a clown show. Not how I’ve seen similar situations handled. A joke if I’m being honest.” Then a shrug, “But I think my time dealing with that is coming to a close. I just don’t have the patience anymore, let the clowns keep having their show.” She wouldn’t help with it anymore.

Laughing, “No, definitely not. He takes things a little too serious for my tastes.” She’ll always have some part of her that was still a free-spirited Enchantress. “Oh that’d be great! And if you don’t mind the question, are you still into it?” the word, was, made it sound past tense.

“Don’t have to speak it to have an appreciation for it, and it sounds like you do. And who knows? Maybe that knowledge will come in handy someday. Never know when you might need an overview of them to save the day!” a wink. Could happen. She’d seen weirder. “Sounds like a plan. I’d be curious if you would have a recommendation on what direction I should go with my research.” Maybe two brains were better than one.

“Hell yah!” she was never one to turn down shots.

Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

That comment about clownery made Crystal raise an eyebrow. "So are you thinking of stepping down or.." He didn't want to outright ask if she was to follow Campanella's example. People planning to leave the city didn't ask for help in expanding their library, did they?

Chuckling along. Aurora had an infectious laugh - maybe it felt more special since he heard her use it comparatively seldom. "Yeah, he can be a handful. But it's kinda refreshing to see someone with a passion for something.. which, yeah, is something I struggle with at times. I mean, I look into a lot of things on a surface level but so far there's nothing that really held my attention for too long." The slight buzz he had going on by now and the fact that the Shaman basically already figured him out made admitting that easy. "I guess I'm dabbling until I find that thing that really catches my attention."

"And hey: at least I was able to help you along. I've said it before, I'll say it again: we make for quite the study buddies." A statement that made him chuckle again. Between her low tolerance for bullshit and critical mind and his willingness to throw ideas around until something stuck they complimented each other nicely.

Case in point: shots! Crystal ordered sambuca (and another beer for good measure) and raised his shot-glas before downing the liquor. It was an acquired taste, but the coffee-beans swimming around the sambuca made for an interesting texture and a small pick-me-up. He savored that for a moment, then chased in down with another swig of beer. "So. Feel free to tell me off, but you don't seem all that happy lately. Wanna talk about what's up?"

Aurora
    Spells
    Striking Looks
    (Riveting)
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Fame
    (Entertainment)
    Madison Cross
    (Sleeper ID)
    Gnosis
    Aurora
    Aurora

Dedicated Magical Tool

Nimbus

Monthly Spells

(PrP Treasure Hunt)

[Detect Substance]Bone
    Vulgar:

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

Another drink taken before she nods, “I don’t like arguing politics with idiots, I’m getting too old and my patience isn’t what it used to be. So I’ll be passing my position on to another. Let the children work out things on their own, and see the mess that follows.” Or not. She wouldn’t be around to watch the fallout.

“Finding something that really resonates with you can be a difficult thing. I used to have my work, and now I find myself also searching for that passion once again. But nothing wrong with dabbling, usually the best way.” Usually. “Any direction you are leaning towards?” some leaned more into languages…some religion.

Smirking, “There’s helping and then there is carrying. You carried that paper. I can’t take any credit for it.” And she wouldn’t.

Raising her shot glass as well, she took the shot. Not her go to pick for a shot, but, it wasn’t horrible.

“I’ve never really been a happy go lucky type. Some faces you show in public gatherings, others with only friends.” Shrugging, “As for what’s up? That’s a bit more personal, and nothing against you, but I don’t share personal stuff. Never have. Others knowing those sorts of things about you can be dangerous.” But maybe it was the drinks, or maybe it was her knowing she wouldn’t be in Sacramento much longer, “So I’ll blame the drinks on this one,” raising the beer glass, “ever been in love?”

9. Likes Aeolus liked this post
    Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

"You call yourself old? Geez, you need to tell me your secrets because you don't look a day over 30." He didn't want this conversation to go downhill to quickly, so he resorted back to the old charm. The way he was delivering it made it clear that he knew how corny he was being right now - which somehow made it even more endearing?
    "But I get what you're saying. Also: not gonna lie, it almost sounded like you were planning on leaving the city so I'm glad that you don't actually intend to do so." Granted, she hasn't said she was staying either. Well, here's hoping.

Crystal just shrugged when Aurora asked if he was leaning towards anything. "I tried cooking lately, but that was a bust. Turns out there is no point in doing it for just myself. I guess it's just more dabbling at the moment. Until something happens that gives me a push in any direction." Aurora wasn't the only one who felt the alcohol losen up her lips. Even if it wasn't anything groundbreaking, it was more real-talk than Crystal usual did. "Most of the time it feels like I'm living day to day. Nothing wrong with that I guess, but there are days where I stop and ask myself what the big picture is." Those days being his less sober days, of course. Although he couldn't tell what was cause and what was effect.

"All right, all right." Hands held up in faux surrender. "I carried the thing, but you gotta admit: we do play off of each other well. Point in case: I'll drop by some books the next few days if that's all right with you."

He was ready to accept her boundaries - fuck, he knew all too well what she meant - when she decided to open up a bit after all. "Ugh. Love." He held up the empty shot glass with inquisitively raised eyebrows. This felt like a conversation best had while keeping those shots coming. "No, I don't think so. I was crushing on a guy recently, but that was a dumpster fire and it just went to prove that stuff like that is a pipe dream." She already went that far, so Crystal felt safe in following up on her cue. "But I don't want to be a debbie-downer here. I'm a trendsetter, but maybe I'm the exception when it comes to that. So.. you fell for someone? Is it someone I know?" Nope, subtlety was not something the tipsy Warlock did well.

Aurora
    Spells
    Striking Looks
    (Riveting)
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Fame
    (Entertainment)
    Madison Cross
    (Sleeper ID)
    Gnosis
    Aurora
    Aurora

Dedicated Magical Tool

Nimbus

Monthly Spells

(PrP Treasure Hunt)

[Detect Substance]Bone
    Vulgar:

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

There was a laugh, “I can’t tell you that secret. But thank you.” Awakening as an Acanthus had it’s benefits at one point.

Blue gray eyes watch him for a moment, this was why she never said goodbyes. It was always easier to just go, not say anything. Sighing, “I am planning to leave.” Why were goodbyes hard? “I’m not growing here anymore, I’ve become stagnant, just going through the motions. I won’t find the answers I seek here.” It was painful, but it was true. She wasn’t challenging herself, putting herself out there. She needed that. She needed the challenge.

Smirking, “Cooking is such a nightmare! I cannot tell you how many pans I’ve ruined, or how many fire extinguishers I’ve gone through attempting!” laughing. “Plus, it’s so much easier to just order takeout.” She much preferred that. Then a solemn nod, “I hear that. Knowing what that is gives us that extra boost to do something. Make something of ourselves.” And here she was, well, not.

“I’ll give you that.” She had ideas, but putting them into words and papers was not her strong suit.

“Sorry to hear that. Always painful when the crush turns out to be less than who you imagined.” She’d been there a few times. Looking at her beer glass for a moment, taking a sip, “I think I did. But I’ve never like, actually had anything like that before. So, it’s hard to say. But all those things you read about online were there with the butterflies and all that.” Shrugging, “But I think it was for the best nothing came of it. I’d be horrible in a relationship!” laughing, trying to lighten the mood from a difficult conversation. Would she tell him? Did it matter anymore? “Yeah, you know him.”

Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

Fuck.

What?

It's not like he was super close with her or anything - and after Campanella's farewell he thought he could deal with this pretty well - but Aurora's announcement left him stunned nonetheless. "Oof. Okay. Yeah I respect that and I can kinda see what you mean." For him the 'stability' of Sacramento was a good thing: it gave him time to get his shit together and find out what his next steps were. But he definitely saw how that could leave to stagnation, as the Shaman called it. "That certainly put a bummer on that evening, huh?" There was humor in his voice. She didn't have to tell him that, so there was no point in making her feel bad. "Nah, just kidding. Thanks for giving me a heads-up. Drinks are on me tonight, so bottoms up."

He shrugged off her take on cooking. The worst thing was that he was quite decent at it, but cooking for one was just so fucking depressing. Then they exchanged solemn nods, just two sages discussing the intricacies of life while knocking out their lights drink by drink.

"Eh, the problem seemed to be that I didn't turn out quite the way the crush hoped. Oh well, water under the bridge." He was not delusional or petty enough to blame Matthew for that after all. Whatever.
    Since his non-verbal question was apparently too subtle he ordered another round of shots on his own accord. "So how much of your decision to skip town is influenced by that guy?" Fuck it, they were past the point of beating around that bush. Speaking of: "Also, I'm not really into that giggly girl talk, so I'm going to be blunt here: do you want to tell me who it is? Totally fine if not." He was kinda lucky that he was so charming, because the choice of words sure wasn't.

Aurora
    Spells
    Striking Looks
    (Riveting)
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Fame
    (Entertainment)
    Madison Cross
    (Sleeper ID)
    Gnosis
    Aurora
    Aurora

Dedicated Magical Tool

Nimbus

Monthly Spells

(PrP Treasure Hunt)

[Detect Substance]Bone
    Vulgar:

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

Looking down at her glass, she takes a deep breath, “Yeah, I always thought this last time I returned to the city would be last time. That I would find what I was looking for and settle. And sorry to dump that on you, I was looking forwards to seeing what we would be able to create with papers and research.” They would have made some badass moves.

“Ah, well, at least you gave it a go.”
    All you really can do sometimes. "Their loss."

A pause, deciding how to answer, “I wouldn’t say it’s influenced by it. But it made me realize there is a lot I need to learn. A lot of chances I need to push myself to take. And I’ve allowed myself to just, well,” a shrug, “be.” And it wasn’t her, and it wasn’t good.

A laugh, “I suck at girly talk, so blunt always works best for me.” It was true. “I suppose there is nothing to lose by telling someone.” Finishing off her beer first, “I fell for Bart.” There, it was out. And come to think of it, he was the only one she had told. “A while ago actually.”

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread