Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

Educated, scholarly, lawyer, scientist.
    Jack's outward demeanor and tone are a baseline of respectful and calculated.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Jacque nodded. Not that he was particularly fond of cleaning up messes once they've escalated, but he was confident that things should work out.

"Good," he replied, the vowels lingering in his expression. "I have reconsidered that instruction. In order to go through the process of joining, you will require a sponsor. A sponsor acts as your Sire as you undergo your education in the ways of the First Estate, and is the person who will petition the Invictus to complete manumission and be released to be independent and responsible for your own actions and decisions."

"The most important and offensive taboo is the use of a possessive adjective in regards to another of the First Estate. Namely, the word 'my'." He gives Milton a moment to consider the information, "My Prince, My Liege, my Priscus..." he rattles off to provide some examples- some of which may be familiar. "You've been fortunate to never see an erroneous use of this expression in court, but it does not go well. The term is taken quite literally as an establishment of ownership or dominance over the person you are addressing, and as such it is seen as a challenge."

He smiled, "Thankfully for you, our previous conversation clued me into the fact that you likely did not intend it as that way, and I was able to smooth out any misunderstandings quietly." His gaze narrowed on Milton, "Unless, of course, I misunderstood your intention." Steel eyes were cold, waiting for his response.

Blood Hunt:

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

"Oh?" Milton asks, his interest clearly piqued by Jacque's change of heart. "May I ask who you might recommend as a sponsor, Seneschal?" The Lord hopes that Jacque will volunteer himself, of course. But he is not so rude as to presume. Better to ask and allow Jacque to announce his own intentions, or recommend another. Priscus Hazelton would also be a fine choice, to Milton's mind.

The concept of sponsorship in general makes sense to him, meticulous creature that he is. He'd known that such a role played a large part in Invictus education, or deduced as much, but had never learned its proper name. Again, his own sire's disinterest in providing such a basic education strikes Milton as a betrayal.

As the accountant continues to absorb Jacque's discourse on the taboos of the First Estate, it slowly dawns on him that this is more than simple instruction. There's a rebuke here, if a subtle one. He'd already made a misstep at some point. But when? His smile tightens, as if a screw has been turned somewhere, increasing the surface tension of his skin. Milton searches his memory, trying to pinpoint the unfortunate mistake.

2 successes

Ah! Now he has it. Idiot. Fool. So eager to express admiration. And you insulted him! Milton does not indulge his inner critic, however. That's not the way out of yet another faux pas.

"Yes, I see the logic behind the distaste for that mode of address and...I find myself in a position to apologize once more. I was not aware of my offense." He bows his head. "I was...over-enthused." He looks up again, his timidness made slightly wooden by the coldness of his flesh. "I beg your pardon, Seneschal. It will not happen again..." He shifts in his chair with a rueful chuckle, obviously unimpressed with his own lack of grace.

"Clearly, I am very much in need of a sponsor." It's a self-deprecating joke, but the note of bitterness in his voice indicates the evaluation is more than just in jest.
    Health: Vitae: WP: BP: 1

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"I know," Jacque smugly affirmed to Milton's lack of awareness. "I will give you some basic lessons on our Decorum in the hopes of keeping you out of trouble. If you can manage to navigate through those basics without falter for a period of three months I will consider stepping up on your behalf." He smiled, flicking his fingers in the air towards Milton, "Just so that you know, when that night comes there is a price for the service of a Sponsor set by the Judex and you must agree."

"Do you understand the path before you?" It was his choice... mostly.

Blood Hunt:

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

Jacque's smugness is not lost on Milton. Somewhere, deep down, his Beast hisses its displeasure. It's not that Milton is offended. Rather, he's jealous, envious, that Jacque is in the position to speak down to him. Milton wants that.

This is the price, he reminds himself. This is what you have to pay. He hopes it's worth it.

And so Jacque will consider being Milton's sponsor. And there will be renumeration. The latter doesn't surprise Milton. Nothing comes free in this world, for Kine or Kindred. The former stipulation is slightly more disturbing, but what can he do other than play this out and see where things go?

"I understand and I concur," Milton intones solemnly. He feels the full weight of this choice now. There's no going back.

5. Likes liked this post
    Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

The Lord smiled at Milton's agreement. He was confident that he would be successful. He merely needed a guide to help navigate the social pitfalls of the First Estate. "Very good." He responded, glad to see him bold enough to take the step forward. "Well, you've received an invitation to participate in a strong Haven, guidance on how to accomplish a very difficult goal of learning another family discipline and last but not least a clear pathway to joining the Unconquered." His lips twisted into a wry grin, "I'd say all in all you've had a pretty good night, wouldn't you agree?"

And all without Lording over the bland man with boons at every mistake. There was more to investing in Kindred than accumulating petty debts. "Was there any other business you wished to talk about? I feel like we've covered my interests sufficiently."

Blood Hunt:

7. Likes Endymion liked this post

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

Milton permits himself a genuine smile. Not the bland twist of the lips he so often deploys. His pleasure is obvious, even if the grin comes across as more predatory than pleased.

"I would most certainly agree," he replies. Despite the hiccups along the way, Milton has come out ahead. "I am confident that I will look back on this evening as a turning point in my Requiem. And I thank you, Seneschal; for the opportunities and guidance you've offered me."

The way forward is clear on all fronts: make concrete contributions to their shared abode, contact Priscus Durant to continue negotiations re: their stalled business deal, and attend closely to Jacque's lessons on unlife in the Invictus. Where this may seem daunting to some, Milton is relieved. He thrives on concrete direction and a plan of action.

"No, I believe we have covered more than enough ground for this evening, Seneschal. I am happy to begin making arrangements for the nights to come. Please, simply let me know when you would like to begin my instruction; I will obviously make myself available at any time."

Everything appears to be coming up Northbridge. If he can keep his foot out of his mouth, that is.

I'm ready to wrap if you are--thank you for the amazing scene!

9. Likes liked this post
    Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Jacque was glad for Milton. Glad for the choices he had made and the wisdom he displayed in simply listening through the evening. Little did he know that each choice was a door to the next, and he had found his way to the cheese at the center of the maze. "It should not take long to go over the prudent details of the decorum before you leave." He leans in and the Lord begins sharing into the late night.

Fading to black with the decorum conversation. Thank you as well! It was fun!

Blood Hunt:

11. Likes Endymion liked this post
Page 4 of 4 First 1 2 3 4
Closed Thread