Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

(2106) The Prince and The Lord

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Jun 1, 2021 : (2106) Eternal Court
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

Milton laughs. It's a dry sound, as if he is unpracticed in the behavior. "There will always be those that mistake wealth for vision, money for accomplishment. They do not understand that currency does not generate prestige. It's what you do with your wealth that proves your actual worth." A rueful shake of the head. "Some of that is simple lack of education. But mostly, I'm convinced, it's laziness. It is easier to believe money alone is the goal than to confront the reality that work will always be required to accomplish anything of lasting value."

When she accepts his offer, Milton bows his head again. "My pleasure, Your Grace." Enough said. He has no doubt that, should she need him, she will call.

"Ah, of course: the internet. How silly of me," he gives her an apologetic smile. "So, are your...subjects still living when they reach you? Or have they already been euthanized?" The whole process is very interesting to Milton. He finds himself hoping that the Prince must both kill and mount the creatures. When considered in that light, the hobby becomes something more than a pastime. It becomes a lesson in life, death, and beauty.

"Absolutely. For someone in your position, Your Grace, a functional understanding is more than sufficient. The rest is best left to individuals such as myself, thus freeing you up to address your myriad, and more pressing, concerns." This Lord knows his place and he's not afraid to say so.
    Health: Vitae: WP: BP: 1

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)
    First thing you will notice about Ale is the abundance of her tattoos. They go from her face all the way to her feet, and not much is left bare. The second thing? Her strong Italian accent.

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes
     -2 Vitae for Blush of Life and Drink, 
      ExitScene

+1
    SL
    PRE

A small smirk, “I did not get to where I am both in the Kindred world, and the Kine world, with wealth. It was a pleasant side effect of years upon years of careful cultivation of business and drive. Prestige in any avenue of life is earned, not bought. And the sooner some realize that, the more successful they will be.” She always believed in hard work. There was a brief chuckle, “Perhaps it’s laziness, I’ve never really taken the time to pay a whole lot of attention to it. The empire I’ve built is from my father’s own empire in Italy, I’ve simply moved it here and built it up. I find the hard work that has gone into it to be quite rewarding in and of itself. And I enjoy seeing when others putting in the work to achieve their own goals, not just expecting something to be handed to them.” Nothing had been handed to her, so why would she had it to others?

“I have had some that arrived while still in their cocoon state, just to educate myself on that part of the process. But most arrive already stored carefully in papillotes, not alive. It’s a different process when they are alive, but it’s given me some insight into how one goes about preserving them for display.” It was a process; one she could do.

“Knowing my limitations when it comes to those matters keeps thing flowing smoothly.”
    Alessandra Antinori │BP 6│Strong Italian Accent

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

Milton listens intently. The more he knows about his Sovereign the better.

"I am sure your father would be proud, Your Grace, to see what you have built upon the foundation he laid." Even if she had become a member of the undead in the course of doing so. "Forgive me if I'm too forward, but I'm curious: what was his line of business?"

So, most of her specimens arrived dead. But, a few she had nurtured herself from their chrysalis state: "That is very interesting, Your Grace. I often ponder what it means to nurture something...alive. Given our present state." A pause: "It may sound strange, but I've even entertained keeping fish. Just to see what it would be like." To foster life, rather than steal it.

"Too many fail to recognize their limits, which can prove quite dangerous." He resists the urge to glance at Quinn. "There is wisdom in understanding what we know and what we don't know. And brilliance is successfully finding and employing those who can either teach us, or perform those duties in our stead. For instance, I would never represent myself as a fighter." A dry chuckle. "Or a dancer, I'm afraid."

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)
    First thing you will notice about Ale is the abundance of her tattoos. They go from her face all the way to her feet, and not much is left bare. The second thing? Her strong Italian accent.

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes
      ExitScene

+1
    SL
    PRE

A shrug, “Perhaps.” But the business was hers now. She molded it to fit who she was. His question wasn’t an uncommon one, and her business isn’t one she’s ashamed of. “My father ran the Family business back in Sicily, organized crime, cosa nostra.” If that didn’t spell it out, then, well, there was no help for the Lord.

“It’s an experience, one that puts a few things into perspective, well, for me it does. I believe it allows us a second look at what alive means. What it means to provide the resources something needs to survive. Showing how delicate life can be, and how we need to, in a way, nurture our own Herds and the such.” They needed to keep their source of food alive. For without it, they would perish. “I would recommend it, just for the simple experience.” But, everyone was different about it. “I would be curious as to what your thoughts were after.” Would his views align with her own? Would he have a different opinion?

There was a cold, coy smile at his words, “Oh yes, quite dangerous. Not knowing one’s limits exposes numerous weaknesses. And those don’t last long on our world.” The weak didn’t survive. “But the delicate dance in finding those willing to offer help can be quite the task.” She only employed those she felt she could trust. And even then, turn over was high. Smirking, “I always believed there was more avenues to handle problems than only fighting. But I’m also not opposed to it either.” She was a Savage after all. But it was hard to find a good fight these days. “Now dancing is a whole other Beast.” A chuckle, “Never quite understood it myself.”

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

Cosa Nostra? Milton's aware of its existence. Everyone is. Despite the secrecy around organized crime, the codes of silence and bloody reprisals, it has also become a cultural object of fascination. Milton's never seen the attraction, as far as aesthetics are concerned. Mob movies and stories are not his fare. But, as a business model, it makes perfect sense.

The Lord does not pass comment on the revelation of Alessandra's paternal inheritance. He simply nods, a sign of acknowledgement and respect. Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent, as a wise man once said.

"It is an interesting proposition, Your Grace, attempting to promote and sustain life when our own existence is premised on...the opposite. I suppose it helps that butterflies cannot provide us sustenance." Can they? Milton is certain they cannot. "But, if I might add: I think your particular interest also says something about death and aesthetics. That death has its purposes: in this instance artistic purposes, preservation and beauty. It is a unique endeavor, your Lepidopterology, with much to teach about life and death, growth and the sublimity of art," he muses.

"I will seriously consider your recommendation, please rest assured. And should I ever decide to pursue keeping a...pet, I'll keep this conversation in mind. It will make for fascinating discussion," though who knows if Milton will actually like the responsibility. In any event, it will most likely take him a long time to decide one way or another. As always, he will weigh his options meticulously.

Milton nods his agreement. An assumption of strength or superiority often results in the ultimate debasement of the one who makes that assumption. Not admitting one's weakness is the ultimate weakness. "That's the eternal struggle, isn't it? Finding good help. As I mentioned previously, my own business will soon require me to locate assistance. I'm afraid I will soon be confronting that very problem head on, Your Grace." If he were living, Milton would sigh. "As someone who clearly has experience with management of...human capital, do you have any advice for a would-be employer?"

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes
      ExitScene

+1
    SL
    PRE

A shrug, “No, they cannot provide us any sustenance. But one can learn from them. Patience is something the hobby has taught me, taking my time with my movements and how devastating a heavy hand can be.” Both in life and in politics. Nodding, “Yes.” A smile, he got it.

If he will or won’t seriously consider it, she didn’t care. They were all different, each with their own goals and ways to get there.

If she could have sighed, she would have, “It is truly a struggle.” It was why she was always rotating her help. Advice? It had been some time since someone had come to her asking advice on business matters. “We each have our own way of dealing with human capital. Those I employ serve a vastly different function then those you would be seeking.” Hers were disposable, to be used as the cattle they were. “I believe good capital comes from understanding your business and what you expect from those you employ. You will come across some that will fail you, and some who will go beyond what you expected. Weeding them out will be difficult, so never wavier from what you expect of them. Non disclosures can be useful as well. But we both know that in our world, those can be meaningless to Kine.”

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

"Patience," Milton repeats with a fond smile. "It is a hard lesson, Your Grace. Especially with our...longevity. Adjusting to that new reality, and adjusting one's definition of patience in turn. It requires constant mindfulness. I am not ashamed to admit that I must remind myself every night what patience now means for me."

He glances toward the piano: "With the correct definition of patience, our kind can do many things. Learn or relearn the piano, for instance. Or amass limitless wealth." Or become the Prince of a vast domain. "I imagine you have schooled yourself well in that expanded definition of patience, Your Grace. As you say, your hobby contributed to that education. Are there any other avenues you would advise I pursue as I strive to emulate your example?" If you've got the Prince's ear, why not ask after Kindred best practices? She's obviously doing everything right.

Speaking of best practices, Milton is clearly attending closely to the Prince's advise on managing employees. The question of failure is most interesting: "And if they do fail, Your Grace? How do you advise handling that eventuality?" The question is asked pragmatically, but behind it there's a somewhat deeper concern: How does this Prince handle failure by her human subordinates? Her answer might give Milton a sense of the way she handles the failures of her undead subjects as well.

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes
      ExitScene

+1
    SL
    PRE

A nod of agreement, “Patience is often a skill forgotten, but one needed for survival.” But he sounded like he understood that.

Emulate her example? She didn’t think she had an example. “We all walk a different path and have different goals. So it’s difficult to recommend anything. What worked for me, may not work for you. It depends on what drives you.”

There was a cold, heartless smile that spread across her lips at the question. “Quite simply.” She replies, “I don’t tolerate failure, it has no place in my company structure. But in my line of work, it’s a bit easier to make mistakes disappear. Someone in your field might need a more,” pause, “light touch. But tell me, what does failure equate to in your line of work? Does it threaten your standing? Or is it simpler?” What she sees a failure someone one else might not.

9. Likes Endymion liked this post

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

No advice on patiently enduring the Danse? Fair enough. She's not his therapist. Though Milton has learned something: this Prince is not one to pontificate. Where other powerful Kindred love nothing more than to hear themselves speak, and to pass out nuggets of supposed wisdom, Alessandra seems uninterested in such things. Maybe it's her Savage blood... the Lord muses.

Milton nods gravely when she discourses on the unacceptability of failure, but does not chime in. Working for the Prince sounds...frightening. But, then again, every Kindred in this room serves the domain or dwells in the domain at her pleasure. Something to remember.

"A light touch is exactly what I need, Your Grace. I manage money, but my real currency is influence. Which means relationships. Working relationships. With Kine, no less." An exasperated, little smile, as if he's discussing children. "Failure, in my field of work, would mean a loss of influence, of access. Of course, I would also lose money," he adds as almost an afterthought. "Say, if someone in my employ managed to reveal to one client that I was working with another client in the same field or sector. That would result in the loss of one, or both, clients' business. More importantly, however, it would risk my access: to information, financial or otherwise, and connections." Milton frowns at the very thought.

"Punishments for such a performance would typically be professional. Censure, demotion, firing. But, I'm hoping to raise the stakes with my future associates, to inspire excellence and not just adequacy..." The dream? To employ only Ghouls and those addicted to his blood. Such that, should any prove a disappointment, the mere withdrawal or threat of withdrawal from his vitae would be a sufficient admonition. But he's not about to speak such thoughts out loud in the middle of court.

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes
      ExitScene

+1
    SL
    PRE

A nod of understanding, different business, different requirements. “I had the unfortunate mess of having one of my men becoming compromised. A rival decided to attempt to infiltrate my ranks, didn’t work out for either of them.” Though she did learn some important information from it.

“Raising the stakes can have numerous benefits for those involved. Depending on how much value you give those associates.” Personally? Kine were just that…Kine. Cattle. Useless. “But I wish you luck Mr Northbridge, the business world can be quite cutthroat. Though it sounds like you are up for the challenge.”

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread