Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

(2105) Simone and Milton

THREADID
DISPLAYED
May 3, 2021 : (2105) Formal Court
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

"A pleasure, Ms. Perez," he lies, returning her look with unblinking eyes. Just what I need, another over-confident Mekhet. "Milton Northbridge, Ventrue and childe of Elias Northbridge, of the Watertown Northbridges," he offers. They'd been in the same room on several occasions, but never formally met. "I trust the evening finds you well."

A pause, "I believe we were involved in the same meeting concerning a threat to the domain, though there was no chance to speak directly at that time. I am happy we have the opportunity now..."

Milton falls silent for the moment, inspecting the Shadow closely, curious and a little wary of the unknown predator.
    Health: Vitae: WP: BP: 1

Jennifer Hazelton

"Cool. You have a pedigree." Simone's eyebrows rose, apparently impressed.

"I'm Simone Perez, childe of Marisela Alcazar, childe of Phillip Woodward of the line Mekhet. I haven't been in town very long. My first desire to seek out fellow Kindred was actually because of the threat you refer to. I spoke to Mr. Smith." She scans the room and then nods to Mr. JC Smith when she finds him.

"You know him?" She inquired, her attention swinging back to Milton. He now enjoyed the full attention of the scarred Mekhet.

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

So much is transpiring that Milton struggles to maintain his composure as he absorbs the developments at court. Too much information becomes noise and Milton finds himself right at the border between meaning and incomprehension.

There's Edward's and Mr. Kowalsic's little spat, which warms Milton's undead heart a touch. And Quinn's loud-mouthed new addition, another little treat. But, Milton finds himself detained and so focuses once again on Simone.

"I do," he replies with a bemused smile. Cool is not in Milton's vocabulary. Far too pedestrian. Witnessing another kindred use such slang is mildly amusing to the Lord. "As do you, it seems. We all come from somewhere, yes?"

But isn't that interesting? A new arrival on a mission. "Where, if I may ask, did you call home before Sacramento?" A pause. "And how did you become embroiled in that...trouble so quickly upon your arrival?" Had she said at the meeting? Milton can't recall.

A glance in JC's direction. He's just left the Prince's orbit in a seemingly awkward fashion. "Much like yourself, I have been in the same room with Mr. Smith several times, but have not had the pleasure of actually being introduced." Looking back to Simone now, "But I'm sure that will be rectified soon enough."

Jennifer Hazelton

"I came out from the Phoenix area. I was a deputy there for a few years. My co-sanguineous sister, Madame Samantha Garcia, Librettist of the First Estate, arranged for me to be placed in a coterie working for the Deputies pretty much from the minute I completed Manumission. The coterie ran down information that our Sires didn't have the time to do.

The trouble? I actually walked into a crime scene. I like to frequent bars and was going about setting up my new contacts. It seemed like a mystery. It was Mr. Smith who gave me some contact info so I could be sure to pass on info to the right folks."

If you want an introduction, I would be happy to." Simone offered.

"I like how this Domain is nuetral. Every Covenant seems to be shown the same opportunity, as the former Seneschal was a respected member of the Circle of the Crone. What about you? Is there a particular reason you chose to settle in Sacramento, Mr. Northbridge?" The Mekhet seems genuinely interested in Milton's answer, focussing closely on his expression.

5. Likes pisces liked this post

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

A Maiden of the Crone with roots in the Invictus? Very intriguing. Like himself, Simone was molded by the traditions and culture of the First Estate, but no longer bound by them. He finds himself wondering how her Sire and sister had taken the news of her affiliation with the Circle. Milton had never been offered admission to the Invictus. His sire had kept him in the dark, whether out of caution or cruelty. But he'd never thought to become a witch instead.

"Well, that is an...unfortunate introduction to the Domain." How does one walk into a crime scene like that? Does trouble simply follow some Kindred around? "I commend you on seeking out the proper authorities. That matter is quite disturbing and needs to be handled thoroughly and with great care, as I think you'll agree."

An introduction? To JC? "That's kind of you to offer, Ms. Perez. Truly. Perhaps a little later." For now, Milton is more curious about Simone herself. "So, you were a deputy in Phoenix and when you arrived in Sacramento you found yourself in an...interesting situation. But what inspired your relocation in the first place?" She'd conveniently left that portion of the story out.

Neutral? Milton's not so sure. One former Acolyte in a sea of Invictus does not diversity make. Still, it is best to pay homage as required and keep his suspicions securely locked away. Especially at court. "You speak the truth. The Prince is exceedingly wise and the laws and customs of her domain amply reflect that wisdom." Let the others hear his praise and compare them to the words of Quinn's newest Shadow. The difference should be quite clear.

"Me? Well, I'm afraid my story is not nearly as interesting as yours. I was also embraced and educated in the manner of the First Estate, though I find myself Unaligned at present. My sire was a Kindred of Quality, held in high regard in Boston. Unfortunately, he is no longer with us. With his withdrawal from the Danse, I looked to make a fresh start. Sacramento recommended itself immediately as I have many business relationships in the state broadly and on a more local level. As of tonight, I believe I chose wisely." As he speaks, Milton maintains his typical, unassuming demeanor. He returns Simone's regard, but not in a challenging fashion. He is merely examining her as she examines him.

Jennifer Hazelton

"Unfortunate. Opportunity as well." The Mekhet replied to Milton's statement. "Thank you, Mr. Northbridge. I saw you at that meeting, too."

Simone accepts Milton's decison on the introduction with a nod, indicating she had heard him and nothing to contribute on that front. Simone glances over towards the Prince at Milton's praise. Her gaze swings over to Twist and Sieb, hovering there a moment. Then her dark eyes turn their full attention to Milton once again.

I had a good run I Phoenix. Mysteries are fun to unravel. Yet my Sire was there, and everyone who knew me when I was the young. Good for a few years, but hard to rise when all of the important people are entrenched.
    So, it was time for a change.

"Yeah, I can see why this is a stable place to be."
    "Seems like a fun situation to be in. Unaligned, but in a place with some stable Covenants. Well, I guess not the Lance... or Carthians..." She leans in and speaks more quietly, confiding.
    "My Sire, Lady Interpreter Alcazar, never liked those sorts even mentioned. Seems one tried some foolheaded notion fifty years ago, and the whole bunch is watched like hawks now." She pulls back and resumes her normal speaking volume.
    "If you ever get the notion to look into the Crone, I can tell you a bit. I bet you have your eye on someplace you'd rather be." She remarks.
    She gives a jerk of her chin to Edward and follows that with a meanigful look to Mr. Kowalsic. She looks back to Milton and indicates interest in her expression, but her words are carefully vague.
    "The place is hopping. I need to come here more often. Is it my fault for not being here last month, or are there new faces? New turns of events?"

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

"Fortune passes everywhere," Milton says with a knowing look. He can see her point clearly. Opportunities abound, even in troubled times. Perhaps this Simone is more than just another annoying Shadow.

"I'm also fond of a good riddle, Ms. Perez. Though my preferred domain is financial. Still, in the end, it's all about unraveling mysteries, as you say." Her explanation of the situation back in Phoenix could be applied to any domain, Sacramento included. Will he comment on it? Certainly not. No need to speak on the matter when every 'important person' in this city is in the same room as him. But that won't stop him from pressing her on the issue: "And do you find the situation different here, in Sacramento?" Let's see how she handles that.

Fun? Milton does not really know the meaning of the word. "My current affiliation, or lack thereof, offers a great deal of flexibility. It's true. But there are certain areas that are thereby made more difficult, as I'm sure you understand." When she leans in, Milton has to fight the urge to draw away, repelled by the pressure of her stronger beast. Instead, he stands stock-still as she seems to confide in him. "Very intriguing...What kind of 'foolheaded notion,' if I may ask?"

Does she really think he looks like a candidate for the Crone? Who knows. Certainly not Milton. Indeed, he knows very little of the Acolytes. Perhaps, this is an opportunity. "I must admit that I know next to nothing about your Circle. Perhaps we can meet some night and you can explain the finer points?" Why not? Knowledge is, after all, power.

His eyes follow hers, only briefly. No need to stare. "Court is always full of surprises. New developments nightly. Some more troubling than others." Not that Edward's little spat is troubling to Milton. Quite the opposite, really.

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

Full of surprises, indeed.

All night, Milton has been keeping an eye on Simone's cousins. And all night he has been rewarded with seemingly endless examples of the poor manners of Quinn's brood. How delightful.

And now the blue haired one, Maeve, the court-skipper, and the newly arrived Shadow are locked in some sort of erotic charade. Completely inappropriate for the locale. Or anywhere, as far as Milton's concerned.

Quinn intervenes, but it is too late. Of course.

When the Prince approaches and publicly chides Quinn for the gross display of her clan-mates in full view of the court, it makes Milton positively giddy. So giddy, that he has to work to hide his pleasure.

2 successes

His eyes return to Simone. For the moment, he passes no comment on these events, quite sure that she's also aware of what is transpiring.

Sorry to double post. I wanted to register Milton's reactions to the developments at court.

Jennifer Hazelton

Simone is listening to Milton, yet she seems distracted. She was keeping the mekhet corner in the corner of her eye when Milton mentioned the Circle, and her question on if he wants to learn more.
    There's a moment of silence that stretches to minutes of silence as she watches the interaction between Conner and Maeve.

Her eyes respectfully follow the Prince to the corner and back. Simone's eyes briefly rest on her priscus and JC Smith.
    "Apologies." She seems sincerely apologetic when her eyes also return to Milton's.
    " Court is just so energetic tonight. I feel like I have been missing out.
    Have you been enjoying Court these past few evenings?"
    She inquires.

" The circle often has misrepresentations about it. I likely have a different idea about your education than how it truly was. Sometimes, people are open to learning.

I know I am open if you have any intriguing interests that you enjoy discussing."

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

Milton is amused. And intrigued. Simone is the only Shadow not involved in the family drama currently unfolding for all to see.

That makes her an exception. Milton likes exceptions. Outliers.

And perhaps she could be an ally? At least a resource.

He offers her what is meant to be a reassuring smile, though there's still something a little too prim about it. Maybe it's the way his skin, untouched by the blush of life, stretches when he exposes his teeth.

"No need to apologize, Ms. Perez. Energetic is just the word for it." A little chuckle. "I'd be very curious to hear your thoughts on tonight's...energy sometime. In a more private setting, of course." The Lord makes a mental note to give her his card before the end of the evening.

"Court is..." Milton wants to say exhausting, "invigorating. Though, I must admit, I am a retiring sort. More suited to a night spent reading than..." He doesn't finish, simply looks around the room, eyes lingering for a moment on Simone's cousins before returning to her.

It's not exactly true, what he's said about court. Milton does thrive off the social combat, even if it tires him out. But Simone has no need to know that.

"What sorts of misrepresentations?" Milton truly knows very little about the Circle. Most of what he's heard has been disparaging. Or fearful. Certainly all of it is mere rumor. He's interested in what this Acolyte might have to say about her covenant, given the talk it inspires.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread