Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

Educated, scholarly, lawyer, scientist.
    Jack's outward demeanor and tone are a baseline of respectful and calculated.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Between his wealth and his time as Herald, the office of the Seneschal appeared quickly refurnished to match the tastes of the Lord. Two low-back velvet chairs trimmed in gold leaf sat before an aged, hand-carved hardwood desk. The desktop had a fresh lacquer finish, though any wood below possessed the original and unrestored wood. Aside from tidy folders of paperwork the Lord was engaged with, the surface of the desk was clear of items or decorations save for a brass inkwell and pen. A keen eye might notice that the chair behind the desk was an unremarkable, plain wooden chair. A small shelf was mounted to a side wall, currently occupied by a mere three books. The quality of the bookends securing two of them in place might suggest the Lord held them in high regard. A third lay on its side near the edge of the shelf. The wall behind the desk was empty, save for an antique, ornate mantle clock.

The Lord was working through some files, reading and making notes as each page turned. Glancing at his Rolex, he made sure his cabochon amethyst cufflinks were in proper order on his attire and glanced towards the open door in anticipation of his guest this evening: the Priscus Quinn Durant

Blood Hunt:

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

(Blush)Vitae 1 Spent
    +1
    SL
    PRE

Quinn arrived via Towne Car, and the driver ran around the car to help her out. Quinn's hair was elegantly done in an updo that boasted a wreath just along the detailing of the twists in the back of her hair. It was made of laurel leaves and sprigs of just barely budding flowers. It was perfect for spring. Her outfit this evening was tailored for her slight stature, and she wore a kitten heel for a little more elegance but not attempting to try to be any taller either. Her makeup was simple: Smoky eye, with a pale glossed lip. She wore no jewelry. No sparkling tonight!

Quinn found her way down the steps, and carried a messenger bag of rich warm brown leather, her lap top was inside, her cell phone (which was turned to silent/vibration off) and a file folder containing all the updated documents of the investigation, information on the teams formed to do XYZ task, all the pictures of the maps with the different tags for Jackal/Poacher sightings. There were some perks to being an Alders childe. Anal AF. So much in fact that the book so lazily on its side instantly drew Quinn's attention after she gave a sweeping curtsy to Seneschal Jack. Her chin bowed, showing a submissive pose, only the Prince herself got a deeper honor, and a touch of her throat showing. What you expressed with your body was sometimes just as important as your words.

The décor gave Quinn a pang in her chest. Especially the antique clock. She shoved the offending memory away. Not today peasant. She focused on the man Kindred himself. She took him in allowing the Seneschal to feel her unmasked beast, even though hers had nothing to sink its teeth into so to speak in turn. "Good evening, Seneschal Jack. How have you been since last we saw each other?" She would stand just where she was until he beckoned her closer. Her gaze met his directly at last after she finished taking him and the room in. Pleasantries had begun.

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Jacque rose from his seat as Quinn made her measured entrance. The presence of the Shadow's beast surprised him, yet his did not hesitate to to sink its teeth into the back of his mind. A challenger, a weakling. Establish dominion. Shaking off the errant thoughts, he acknowledged in turn, "Priscus Durant, you look quite lovely. Dressed for life, it seems?" He grinned as he motioned to a chair, "Please, come in and be comfortable." The enticing beauty blushed and done up as she was- he wondered if she had other plans this evening, or if she was simply testing the waters with visual pleasantries in the world of the dead. No fun in asking though.

"Let's see, the last time we saw each other you were publicly shaming your Cousin and I was doling out second chances to some Kindred who seemed to get lazy will acknowledgements." He folded his fingers as he returned to his seat, "I'd say things have been comparatively well since that night. As you've no doubt heard by now, I am stepping into the vacancy left by Miss Hart at the request of Her Grace." He smiled as he added, "I had been content to date simply watching you make your various moves night over night, but unfortunately my new responsibilities can no longer afford me to remain a silent observer."

The two books within the bookholders are an English Translation of Le Language des Fleurs by Charlotte de la Tour and an old, worn book
    The book on its side that drew Quinn's attention is a copy of the Testament of Longinus

Blood Hunt:

4. Likes pisces liked this post

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

+1
    SL
    PRE

Quinn smiled back at the Seneschal's quip observation. She bowed her head again, as he offered her a seat, and moved forward and took one of the seats offered in front of him. Her knees slipping to the side, and her ankles crossing immediately. She lowered her shoulder to allow her shoulder bag strap to slip down her arm as she gentle shrugged it off, and made sure it was silent as the messenger bag was set on the floor next to her chair. Her hands folded immediately on her lap, as she sat back and watched him. He would lead this danse.

"If there is any time left in the evening, depending on what you require of course, I would like to entertain the thought of something social, perhaps. I have been very very focused over the last eight months, Seneschal Jack. Work/Interest balance is somewhat of a challenge for me."

She was silent at the second part of the conversation. There was a lot to unpack there. Quinn smiled privately at the thought. It was at least a genuine smile. Appreciating the Lord's words. The way he arranged them. Ahh. Yes. So it goes. She nodded her head in acknowledgement of the fact that Alice Hart was gone and Jack had been tapped by the Prince to fill the huge void she left in their court. She didn't envy Jack that. Not at all really. Alice was a fucking tough act to follow. "I don't know whether to congratulate you or offer my sincerest sympathy for your new position, Seneschal Jack. She was one of a kind, you know."

Quinn chuckled a little at the last. Ah. At last he comes to it. She realized of course he hadn't indicated whether or not he liked what he had been watching or not. Proceed with caution. She tilted her face to the side slightly. "I await your observations, Seneschal Jack. Please share with me your insights into what you have seen." It was said with genuine curiosity. Not many ever admitted to her face that they were watching her like a hawk.

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Jack nodded with understanding, "We are not so unalike in that respect," he smiled, perhaps saving the rest for later in the evening.

"Yes, the Domain is worse for her absence, and the same can even be said in regards to her predecessor." His eyes grew distant for a moment before snapping back to his guest, "I am at least glad you were able to see a successful Seneschal from the Crone. There was a time where criticisms were murmured about favoritism towards the First Estate or prejudice against the Crone for Domain positions or recognition." He chuckles at the thought, "It still surprises me how often Kindred cast wide assumptions from such narrow glimpses of time."

The Lord shared in the chuckle- the gesture signaling a lack of a negative viewpoint from him... or at least a gesture intended to ease his guest. "You're... intelligent, I would say." 'Smart' just didn't have the same ring to it. "I've have seen enough to recognize that you are very deliberate with your actions. Each gesture, each word there is a motive... an intent. I've hinted at what I see before."

"Even now, I would venture to guess the phrasing of your response is an effort to avoid accidentally showing all the cards in your hand." He slid a hand across the edge of his desk, "Instead of us spending any time on how observant I may or may not be, I would like to know more about what your goals are. You have been making efforts to keep various eyes on yourself in a number of ways. I would like to know to what end. What drives Priscus Quinn Durant?"

Jack will attempt to read Quinn's emotional state after the above statements/questions and before her response:
    1 success, womp womp

Blood Hunt:

7. Likes pisces liked this post

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

+1
    SL
    PRE

Quinn listened to the Seneschal closely as he shared a sliver of the past political climate with her regarding Alice being Crone, and Quinn nodded ever so slightly. She didn't hold many prejudices, but the few she did, were a sticking point with her. She had never been proved wrong yet on the few feelings of ill ease she harbored regarding the Covenants. She didn't make comment about it though, and he hadn't asked her opinion either. Quinn took it as a warning to re-evaluate any prejudices she may have. Pretty good advice really.

He dodged the cookie that would have allowed him to focus on how smarty pants he is. To turn the tables on this conversation and let him wax all poetic about how awesome he is. Quinn was impressed how easily he batted it away. Sticking to what he wanted to know. And what did the Lord want? Nothing short of an accounting of her goals and motivations. What she wanted, at its most basic. He hadn't misrepresented himself in his letter. Then the actual questions came. She recognized what he was setting up, but even the most careful wordsmith cannot prevent absolutely any evasion.

Quinn smiled a bit, and glanced down to her hands for a moment before her gaze rose to meet his again. She regarded him with a few moments of silence. The look was evaluative. As she was debating how much she should show him. It wasn't just the quality of the questions that finally made the Shadow open up a little, but also the fact that well, hadn't Jack proven himself trustworthy in this domain? Quinn liked the way Alessandra ran her court, didn't that logic follow that if she should trust anyone, Jack was worthy of that?

Emotionally Quinn felt saddened at the questions, but hopeful as she answered them. She would help him understand this later, but so far she was working on simply answering his questions.

"The most important goal I have is I want Stability, and everything that implies. For my clan, and for myself and that means the Domain. I was embraced before my sire established himself as a Viscount. He was obviously victorious as he is now proudly a Viscount, but I knew him when. That meant bloody civil war that I was trapped in the middle of. It meant going in and out of other cities, because he is also a Knight and Senator. I cannot even recall all the courts I have walked in and out of, just an extension of his Shadow. He thrives on ordering chaos. It's what he loves, and I respect that, but I want to build and fortify, not constantly reorder everyone else's mess."

She paused for a few moments. "You know, you are the only person who has ever asked me that here?" She chuckled a little ruefully at that and finally continued. "I like to keep eyes on me because someone who is useless has no place. If I won't put it all on the line to ensure the stability I desire, I have no right to it. I have a very unique skillset, as does Maeve, and I have made it as clear publicly as I can that I came to add to this domain, not selfishly take away. I want Sacramento to be my home Seneschal Jack."

No contest on your roll. Information in the post, he can gather that she feels he is the only Kindred who has really shown interest. That's both disappointing as well as encouraging.

9. Likes liked this post
    Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

The Lord listened intently as Quinn shared. What would have likely been breadcrumbs to a general observant were clear lines being drawn to explain some of the first things that drew Jack's attention to the shadow.

"Each school of thought on the subject has its place," the Lord paid careful mind to the respect Quinn paid to her Sire's skill and passion, "I'm also of the mind to preserve an existing stability, even though there is significantly more challenge and recognition associated with conquering Chaos." He paused, allowing his guest to continue. There was so much more that could be unpacked with the clues she's provided, but it could wait.

To her query he lightly smiled and offered a coy shrug of his shoulder. He wouldn't take the opportunity to expand on procedural failures. The Shadow clearly took his approach positively, and that was all that mattered this evening. "For a clan that typically favors obfuscation, you've definitely remained in the spotlight." He waved his hand dismissively of the vocalization of stereotypes, "You're right, of course. Still, you had caught my eye not because of what you were trying to accomplish, but the methods you employed." He rose his hand signalling a pause to that stretch of the conversation, "But, we'll circle back to that later." Jack was beyond curious about how deep her Invictus roots were.

"If that is your goal, then I need a clear and intimate understanding of your skillsets." A brief pause was offered to consider the request before adding, "I am glad that from what I can tell you are just as ambitious as you are clever, but there are times when we engage Kindred with tasks based on what we know they can do. If you wish to pitch Miss Maeve's as well, you are welcome to do so." His interest was clearly on Quinn, but she felt the need to name-drop her cousin, so he would entertain anything she had to say about her.

Blood Hunt:

11. Likes pisces liked this post

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

+1
    SL
    PRE

"He always seems to favor conquering, but I tend to find riding out the lows and highs of a stable situation to be much much more rewarding over the long term." She spoke softly, and sincerely, the intensity matched between them. She was studying him every bit as hard as he was watching her. Doors opening and closing in her mind, wheels turning, as a picture begins to form of the Kindred before her.

Then a line of his hit her like a ton of bricks. 'Circle back to that later..' he says. I'm so glad my grilling session is a circle back kinda thing....yeah. "As you like, Seneschal." She murmured softly to his comments, as really he wasn't looking for more from this train of thought for the moment.

As he moved on, she smiled at his word choice. It sounded so like Milton's from the other night. Intimate, eh? There's that word again. She was 99% sure this was a completely different conversation than the one she had with Milton. Maybe they just both enjoy precise language? Yes, that's it. No need to be paranoid about it, but her mind did go there. Until she corrected herself.

"My mundane skills are Stealth, Hacking, larceny, Setting up Identities, Researching, Occult, and I specialize of course in understanding the lore of Auspex as well. My supernatural skillset is quite focused on mental prowess through my use of Auspex. Through Auspex I am able to tell the potency in another Kindred's blood, and tell if they are hungry or starving, it is through borrowing the beasts senses I am able to do this. I can read the aura's of all supernatural and mundane creatures. It's great for identifying what you are dealing with, the emotional state, I can even tell if they are using a power or not, if they are Kindred I can tell if they are in a frenzied state, or if they have ever committed diablerie. I can take the psychic impressions from objects and see what happened. I am Telepathic, meaning I can speak mind to mind with anyone who will let me in, so to speak. The willing exchange is limited however. You have to actively think to me, and I to you very deliberately in order to be heard. Unlike if I used the full power to simply force my way in to the mind, then I can read your thoughts as well, see memories as you think of them, and implant suggestions of my own if I want."

She didn't smirk, or smile, or really have much of an affect, she simply watched him. Taking in every bit of his face. She was a little tense talking about all this, but she had gone into this depth before with the previous Seneschal, J.C Smith, and Dirt Nap. Jack needed to know what she could do. Well....here she was. Being the bright shiny light for the clan.

"My cousin Maeve is more into the criminal side of things than I am, and she is more stealthy than even I, and has a special trick she picked up. She's also quite fast. If she wishes to let you in on some special sauce she brings to the Mehket, that will have to be her decision, but absolutely ask her. It's worth it to know if she would trust you to tell you." There was definitely a sense that Quinn was protecting Maeve.

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Personally rewarding, yes." He agreed with his qualifier. "A fallacy exists in much of society implying that keeping a volcano dormant is far less spectacular than reining in an active one." A coy grin flashed, "But I'm sure you realize this. It is why the Kine enjoy NASCAR so damn much, and it is loosely the same basis to why you would inject yourself into a conversation with Her Grace unsolicited." Trying to draw all eyes on her with the promise of an imminent yet glorious crash.

The Lord takes mental notes of the mundane talents, "Speaking of identities, do you have an alternate alias?" The assumption was there with her boasted skill, but always something important to confirm with the more active... and old a Kindred gets. He nodded as he listened to her explanation of Auspex, "I'll admit I had looked into the basics of the power. The prospect of reading auras intrigued me but in the end it was not the best tool to resolve the problem I was facing." He idly ran his thumb along his cheekbone as he considered the telepathic abilities, "Can you elaborate on that last point regarding implanting suggestions?" He adjusted his posture in the chair and leaned forward slightly as he added, "Lords can do something similar, so I am curious how these suggestions take in the mind and memories of your target."

"That is fair, Priscus," Jacque offered. She wisely offered enough to give him what he needed for the short-term benefit of the Domain, but protected specific details most Kindred prefer to keep at their discretion.

Blood Hunt:

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

+1
    SL
    PRE

Again Quinn was struck by just how much attention the Seneschal paid in court prior to his position appointment. Her appreciation for his skill went up several notches. She hadn't really thought he had paid that close attention. Now granted, this little stunt, everyone saw, but it seemed only he honestly got the full meaning and intent behind it other than her Grace herself. Obviously. She knew he hat noted it, as he had whispered to her quietly in court.

You know what the problem with being 'ready for life' is when you meet another Kindred? All the things you normally have no fear over happening, can and will, happen. Almost inevitably. A faint blush graced her cheeks as she glanced down, a playful smile forcing her lips to upturn. "There are many cards you can play while at the table, some require you to go all in. Even taking a loss on one hand in order to up the ante on your next move." Quinn knew and she was pretty damn sure the Seneschal did as well it was an Invictus trick. Abel Wilkes was an unrelenting teacher but more so the Nosferatu Janos' influence. Who better than an Au Pair, right? That segue was beautiful.

She shook her head. "No I am not using an alias currently. Though actually, now that you mention it, I did have a special identity set up for the Viscount that requires some rather large transfers of assets and funds from my identity to his own. I attempted to contract your cousin for the job, but unfortunately he made a rather unsavory offer; in Elysium no less. Turning down a major boon in favor of attempting to have me tirelessly teach him Auspex." She pursed her lips slightly with a dull look in her eyes. "I politely declined and informed him I would think nothing more of it. At all. Smoothing it over with assurances of my lasting affection in case someone should have overheard him." She spread her hands and added. "I'm not a ditch-able prom date." From one Priscus to another, Quinn put her two cents in the bucket so to speak.

She noticed him get a might fidgety at the talk of the upper level of Auspex. Quinn's smile stepped up a notch, and her eyebrows lifted once and fell back to neutral lines, as she considered how to answer his question. "It depends. If the subject is aware I am in their head so to speak, like in an interrogation, they can be aware that the implanted suggestion is foreign and fight against it further. If it is unknown I am in their mind, it is simply like an impulse that pops in their mind, like in psychology how they describe 'intrusive' thoughts. It's a lot like that. Over enough time and with a Mehket's endless patience one could, if so willing, drive the subject mad." She looked as calm as a Hindu cow. She knew this wasn't 'comforting' news. It wasn't meant to be. No, one really did not want Quinn in their mind with ill intentions. "The possibilities really are only limited by a Mehket's creativity."

Quinn bowed her head to the Seneschal as he relented to understand her position on telling personal secrets of her cousin. She had hoped he would take it that way, and gambled a bit. She was pleased to find he was reasonable. "Thank you, Seneschal."

15. Likes Endymion liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread