Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

A Ventrue and a Nosferatu discuss...

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Mar 4, 2021 : (2103)Eternal Court
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Seneschal, Baroness Notary, Priscus of Nosferatu
    City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Obfuscate 2 Mask of Tranquility
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

Nosferatu curse: A voice that withered like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise

NOS
    PRE

A gesture to the nearby chair. "Please sit." The Nosferatu invited. The Lady reclaimed her seat, and dark eyes surveyed Milton.
    Nosferatu Curse: Jennifer's voice withers like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise.

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

“Your intervention was greatly appreciated, Priscus. I’m afraid I was quite at sea,” by no real fault of his own. “But discomfort is a fact of our…existence, wouldn’t you agree?” A fact to be managed, mitigated when possible; above all: survived.

Speaking of discomfort, Milton is not unaware of the Haunt’s scrutiny. He can’t say he enjoys it, but he holds fast under her evaluation, unbreathing and still. What Jennifer doesn’t know is that Milton’s ill-fated attempt at introduction had not been driven by bravery. He is not made of particularly strong stuff. It was, in fact, the result of a near-obsessive need to follow protocol and perform the proper supplication. The same one that has brought him to her this evening. If only he’d known the particular social mores of Sacramento, he might have avoided his misstep.

“Priscus Jack was most welcoming and informative. I’ve assured him in turn that I will not repeat the…unpleasantness of last court.” A small frown, like a cloud momentarily obscuring the sun, bends his lips and then vanishes. “I am happy that the domain’s Ventrue are guided by such capable hands. I do look forward to working with him.”

It’s the truth. Milton could not be more pleased by the Jack’s comportment and behavior at the last court. But had he mentioned his covenant affiliation? To be honest, Milton had assumed him to be a member of the First Estate for a variety of reasons. Hazelton’s allegiance to the Invictus had been hinted at by her own words when introducing Milton to the Prince and is now confirmed.

“My sire was a Kindred of Quality, Priscus. As was his sire before him. I, alas, have yet to follow in their footsteps.” He offers the Haunt a small smile, somewhere between abashed and rueful. “He was fond of saying that a Kindred should have time to mature in their requiem before stating their intention to join the First Estate.” And now he’s gone, so he doesn’t say much of anything.

Upon her renewed invitation, Milton finally takes a seat, settling into a deathly stillness, save for the moment of his lips and the soft, even procession of his words.

“I am unsure if I have reached that level of maturation, to be quite honest. And, unfortunately for me, my sire is no longer able to offer his advice.”

Now it’s Milton’s turn to watch Jennifer, to gauge her response and adjust accordingly.
    Health: Vitae: WP: BP: 1

3. Likes liked this post
    City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

Nosferatu curse: A voice that withered like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise

NOS
    PRE

Jennifer makes a note that he has sent no hidden messages in his attire.
    "Good, I am glad. I have faith that you shall not make a repeat performance." He did not seem like a Horatio in that sense.

"Unfourtanate that he is no longer about." Jennifer mentions. Her eyes check Milton's eyes quickly. She had a tendency to risk a look into a Ventrue's eyes here in Court, than outside of its' protections. Some would welcome the demise of a Sire. Which was Milton?

"My Sire was Embraced as Blooded," Jennifer shares. "- he could have enjoyed the prestige that came from tracing his lineage back." Not as far as most, but more than some. Had he stayed, it would have set her up more easily.
    "Instead, when the offer of Manumission came, he chose to become Unaligned. He devoted himself solely to furthering the prestige of the Family, forsaking all Covenants. Its a choice." A poor one, in her opinion. She pauses here, to pass the conversation back to Milton. She regards him a moment, then calmly surveys the Court. Checking on Alexander and Edward for a beat. Her brown eyes come back to Milton, her focus once more on him alone.
    Nosferatu Curse: Jennifer's voice withers like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise.

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

"I learn my lessons, Priscus. It's a poor Kindred who does not." Or a dead one. He offers her a smile that is almost wicked, but in the end remains unremarkable.

"He..." Milton closes his eyes for a moment. He can almost see Elias Northbridge: handsome, intelligent, often archaic in taste, polite until he decided to snuff you out. It's likely Milton had been in love with him, or whatever the undead approximation of love can be called. Which is confusing, given that Elias was, technically, a relative to him in the mortal sense as well as the Kindred. In the end, Milton is more annoyed at the inconvenience than anything else. It is clear he is not happy with the turn of events. "It is unfortunate, yes. A great loss, in my opinion, and not just for me. But, we all must make our way in this dark world, do we not? And mine has brought me to Sacramento, which has proved a boon."

A pause and then: "How long have you been in the domain, Priscus?" Milton needs more information, wants a better picture of the Haunt before him. To that end, he listens closely to the story of Jennifer's sire, noting the positive word choice associated with membership in the First Estate (...he could have enjoyed...) and the negative associations with his departure (...forsaking...).

Yes, a choice. Like choosing to declare Monomacy on a longtime rival only to fall in combat, leaving your childe to fend for himself, with no idea whether you had met final death or were simply torpid, though likely to remain that way until the world died (whether with a bang or a whimper).

"It seems you made a choice of your own, Priscus, to return to the fold. How did your sire view that decision?" Milton is a curious creature, especially when it comes to matters of Family. After all, his whole life (and unlife) had, until very recently, been dominated by familial demands.

6. Likes liked this post
    City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

NOS
    PRE

Jennifer mirrors Milton's smile, keeping hers a bit wickid. It barely touches her dark brown eyes, as they crinkle slightly and study Milton.
    "A loss that is regrettable." She allows her expression to become somber, wondering for a moment how she would feel if her Sire met Final death. He had hampered her a bit. Permanently marred her. Yet she loved being Nosferatu, even if it meant she could not blend as easily as some of the beuatiful monsters among the Daeva or Ventrue, or even Mekhet.

"How long is an interesting question. I first came to Sacramento in 2011 and stayed through the next year. I returned a few years later to participate in some investigations. I rather enjoy investigations. I completed my education that repeatedly called me away in 2019." A bemused smile. "So I have seen that Sacramento can be a crucible. Some stay, some go. Some, like her Grace, the Archon, remain and become quite an institution."

"How did my Sire view my return to the fold?"
    A genuine smile here. He could strike an interesting conversation. "It took him a moment to notice. He makes his careful notes on which rivals to destroy from the darkened shadows, not places easily reached by letters or even telephone lines. I had reached out to my Grandsire, Lady Notary Gweneth Ward, for the best way to make a good impression. It was she who finally informed him, I believe. He cares more about the Family, and I believe he would be pleased that I am Priscus."
    Dark brown eyes scan for the Seneschal, who had arranged that. Hm, she wasn't here. A slight frown to her nude lips. She turns back to Milton.

"Although if he is pleased or not, I care not a whit. I am empathethic to your plight, that your Sire met an end unforeseen to you both. Yet now you have no complications. Some do try to entangle their childer, long after the apron strings as they were are cut.
    I imagine that you have a great many opportunities stretching out before you. Are you planning to remain Unaligned for some time in Sacramento? Or does some other passion consume you?"

8. Likes Endymion liked this post

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

"He was a Kindred of great refinement and great power, with a long memory." It is Elias' storehouse of memories, the history he had experienced and could recall (if, at times, only thought the haze of time) that Milton regards as the greatest loss. At the same stroke, it was that accumulation of time, and the many vendettas accumulated along with it, that had orchestrated his demise. Milton often reflects on that lesson. He shrugs. "And now? As they say: 'Like the snows of yesteryear, gone from this earth.'"

Milton listens, patient and unblinking, to Jennifer's tale of departure and return, to the details of her Sire's interest or disinterest in the course of her Requiem. Milton is good at listening, something that appears quite passive, but often yields interesting, and useful, results.

"I am also fond of a good puzzle, Priscus. A chance to exercise the intellect, to uncover what has been hidden: I find it exhilarating." While Milton's primary focus in this regard is of a financial nature, his enjoyment of his work comes from a deeper drive to solve mysteries, to learn what others would not like him to know. In the end, an audit or forensic analysis of someone's financial records is just another enigma to be dispelled. The money is nice too.

Jennifer's words about the entanglements of family ring true and Milton nods his assent: "You speak the truth, Priscus. I am well aware of the freedom afforded me by otherwise unfortunate circumstance. I was raised in a family that kept its members close, and embraced into a family that did much the same." A small, rueful smile. Because now he is the last of both lines, which is both refreshing and daunting. And she's just asked the question that so often consumes him: what next?

"I am quite busy with nightly endeavors. Opportunities do abound, and this city has treated me well thus far. I hope to remain indefinitely," a glance toward the piano, and the Monarch who stands near it, "if Her Grace should allow it." His eyes return to Jennifer.

"As for my affiliations, I often feel it is my destiny to again enter the Northbridge name in the register of the First Estate. But that returns us to the question of my maturity," he says with a tilt of the head. Given his deathly stillness, the gesture seems wholly unnatural. "I can assure you that no other...organizations appeal to my tastes."

And just what are you doing here, Milton? He asks himself silently. Flirting? Or something more serious? And with who: the First Estate or this Nosferatu Priscus?

10. Likes liked this post
    City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

NOS
    PRE

Jennifer tilted her head slightly for a moment as she regarded Milton, rather enjoying the snows of yesteryear... The Nosferatu nodded slightly.
    "Then you may enjoy Sacramento. It can be a crucible, driving out the immature and fickle. Things happen quickly here. A mind for solving puzzles might find opportunities." A sly glance.
    "Have you heard of the troubles that were announced by Mr Kowalsic, of the line Nosferatu, a few Courts ago?"

Vague, Her dark eyes light on him, curious what he had heard. Or what he had to occupy his nights here in Sacramento.

"I admit my bias freely, Mr. Northbridge. I rather enjoy a meritocracy, and I enjoy the opportunity that the Invictus provided to me." A glance away, always keeping track of the monsters moving around Elysium. Her eyes return to Milton.
    "You mentioned that you are unsure if you are prepared. It is a commitment, so I understand the need to give careful consideration."

12. Likes Endymion liked this post

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

Milton tilts his head in turn, mirroring Jennifer. It's an unconscious bit of theater and keeps his eyes level with hers. "Opportunities, Priscus, are all I ask for. I tend not to pass them up, especially when I might be of use to the domain." Or, more importantly, when they will advance his position therein.

"I believe Mr. Kowalsic's announcement occurred before my arrival. And, unfortunately, my time in the city thus far has been occupied with establishing myself. What were the troubles he brought before the Court?" Perhaps, as Jennifer alluded to, Milton could be of some use here. And being useful has its rewards.

He gives her his inoffensive smile, "If you claimed to be unbiased, I would be worried, Priscus." Or extremely skeptical. And there's that word again: opportunity. He regards her with bland, but calculating eyes. There's something about this Haunt that he finds fascinating. Perhaps it's her poise, her manners, her eloquence, or perhaps it's the way these qualities play against her Family's type.

"Consideration, exactly. But also a healthy dose of skepticism when it comes to self-awareness. To be frank, I find it hard to believe that anyone, including myself, can be an accurate judge of their own character. When my sire still lived, I was assured of an outside auditor as it were. Someone who could evaluate my growth and indicate when the time was right to make that commitment. But now?" A pause and a shrug, "I find myself without that resource, without an individual who can assess my preparedness. It is a bit of a quandary."

Is Milton asking her to fill that role? Or simply making conversation? Is he telling the truth at all? Milton himself is hard pressed to say. It certainly sounds like the truth, even feels like it. But this Lord is too smart to trust even himself.

14. Likes liked this post
    City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

NOS
    PRE

"That's a wise decision. Kindred in Sacramento have long memories." One had only to start listening to one's allies after Court to hear the gossip of months past. Jennifer rather enjoyed it.

" Yet its possible one might be ignorant of some of their latent biases. Being self aware is an admirable trait. Yet one's Pride can be a tricky thing. "
    One's Beast as well. She had noted that of late, that while she maintained being honest, her pride at times pecked away at her inner thoughts. She had noted that when thinking about Mr. Heinrich.

"Now, you find yourself without." She drawed it out, her eyes keen on studying him. She attended the conversation closely, turning his words over in her mind. She put the information he might be curious about at the end of her response. "You have been studying areas of the Covenant, and how one may appeal to it, I am sure. Perhaps we could discuss that in more detail. Later."
    Later, in private. Nothing was private in Court, and she was curious what he thought of the First Estate, and if he had been preparing himself for a role of function. She would not want his declaration before Court, less another want to steal into his area of expertise.

"Ah, it would have. There is a bit of a security and safety issue. Four bodies were autopsied that had been visited by Kindred before their demise. There is an idea being floated that someone is putting the Kindred of the Domain at risk. I believe Priscus Durant..." She turns and indicates Priscus Durant with her eyes. "- submitted some information gathered on her own to the Domain officials. Caution is the word of the day."

That, and perhaps it was time to start developing a herd.

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

"The Kindred are not a forgetful sort," Milton agrees. But Jennifer's words are noted. Perhaps in Sacramento, the stain of a blunder is even more difficult to expurgate. A chilling thought. Accordingly, he takes the warning seriously.

"Pride, certainly. And I would add ambition." Milton's own Beast is driven by envy, by his covetous nature. For him, pride must be watched, but envy must be kept on an even shorter leash. "Moderation in all things, Priscus, that is how I was taught. And it serves me well to this night."

"Later, indeed," Milton agrees. "It would be my pleasure to discuss at further length." In private, of course. Milton understands that discretion is paramount. "I invite you to contact me at any time. I will make myself available to you."

Jennifer's words do not yield enough information for a satisfactory assessment of the problem. "I'm not sure I understand, Priscus. Are these kine being killed by the kindred in question, or after their 'visitation'? Is someone calling attention to our activities by looking into these...incidents?" Thus, the autopsies. In any event, the very idea is quite troubling.

17. Likes liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread