Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

Educated, scholarly, lawyer, scientist.
    Jack's outward demeanor and tone are a baseline of respectful and calculated.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"I believe that places the ball in your court, for the most part," Jacque responded matter of factly. Then, the mention of an eagerness to learn, "If it is a journey you wish for yourself, I would suggest a discussion with Alder Archon Twist. She is the Judex of Sacramento's Invictus."

He mused every so briefly at the last time the Lord had made this recommendation, and how little results the previous recipient of the advice provided. "Though, before approaching her I'd be absolutely certain that you intend to establish roots in Sacramento. Petitioning for an Au Pair is an intelligent first move. It signals a desire to prevent mistakes."

failure to read disappointment

Oblivious to the disappointment, he responds to the move with a piece meant to harrass and limit the queen's movements. "I think you'll find it a more rewarding feeling than simply sliding into the role de facto."

3 successes, 6th roll, 16 total

"I wouldn't quite define it as native, but I have roots now." He grinned with a flash of pride. "I was once Whip myself, under the two Priscii preceding me, and also served at one time as Her Grace, Alessandra Antinori's Herald."

Blood Hunt:

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

Milton's impression of the Priscus has slowly taken shape over their conversation and what emerges can be summed up in one word: cautious. While assuming a welcoming and informative posture, the Priscus has declined to commit to anything in terms of Milton's desire for tenancy, his position in the clan, and his interest in the Invictus, all while offering very little information about himself. It's admirable, if frustrating.

In the end, Milton understands. He's cautious too.

"Then I will seek out the Alder Archon Twist as you instruct, Priscus. When I am absolutely sure that I am ready to proceed." It's clear that he will give the matter much more thought. It's not hard to see that Milton tends to scrutinize his options closely before committing.

Milton watches Jacque's next move, trying to figure a way to effectively utilize his queen without exposing her to undue risk. Jacque's meritocratic sentiments strike Milton as hollow. Surely, this creature must know how the world really works? Of course he does. This is all so much hot air from a cold corpse. Likely a delay tactic, giving the Priscus more time to evaluate his newly arrived Family member. "I am certain it will," Milton agrees, blandly amenable. His eyes widen at the list of titles held by Jacque, "Priscus Hazelton mentioned your former accomplishments. You cut an impressive figure. I will strive to follow your example."

The game is wrapping up, and so is the evening. Milton pushes on into the endgame, attempting to salvage his chances and change his fortunes.

Remaining Chess Rolls, 18 successes total

[Vtr] I compressed my final 5 chess rolls into this post as we're a little bit past the month mark.[/vtr[\]
    Health: Vitae: WP: BP: 1

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

A smile forms across the Lord's face as Milton confirms his understanding. As impressed as he was with his mannerisms, he would not take on the risks of a sponsee... not without ample visibility at least.

He waves off the compliment, "Please, Mister Northbridge. You are both intelligent and respectful. There is no need to be so heavy handed with your silvered tongue." The compliments at every turn felt submissive, perhaps even a tad glib. There was a time and place for it, but Jacque was clearly signaling a more relaxed discussion. "You appear to be a Lord of great potential, but you do not need to follow in my example to achieve it. The primary pitfall over the years I've seen for our blood is when confidence crosses over into unbridled arrogance." It was not an uncommon issue for Lords, and to ask for that to change would be asking a tiger to change their stripes. Left unsaid, the warning was simply put out there for consideration.

"My expertise and education lies within Law and sciences... primarily in biology for the latter." His eyes scan over the board, slowly but surely forcing Milton in the position for sacrifices. "Though I've enjoyed over my danse absorbing knowledge as the world changed. I've found knowing a little about a lot to be an invaluable tool."

Remaining Chess rolls, 26 total

At last, the moment came where he could close the gate on his king, "Mate. Excellent game." He smiled as he added, "A word to the wise. I was... surprised to see a Savage as Prince in Sacramento when I arrived. She is uncharacteristically intelligent compared to her cousins. Our game here tonight was a challenge. When I played her, the match ended a stalemate." A pause, to gauge a reaction from Milton.

Rotating his wrist to view the time, "Well, the night is growing thin. Are there any other points you'd like to expand on before retiring?"

Blood Hunt:

4. Likes Endymion, pisces liked this post

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

Milton spreads his hands before him, as if to show he has nothing to hide.

"Heavy handed?" An airy flip of each wrist. His hands seem light enough. He settles them on the table before him. "I apologize if I've disturbed you with my...manner. I blame my upbringing. I was taught an unfailing politeness." Programmed, really.

And besides, Milton is quite sure that Jacque would prefer his genteel facade to what it masks. Milton's monstrousness is perhaps more offensive than that of other Kindred, precisely because it carries the mark of his blue-blooded upbringing and meticulous nature. The accountant is not unaware of this fact.

The game is all but lost and Milton can see it. He struggles on in the spirit of good sportsmanship. "The difference between confidence and arrogance is, primarily, a matter of extending one's claims beyond one's capabilities." Milton has never had that problem. "You will find I am far too humble for that kind of behavior." Indeed, Milton plays his cards in the opposite fashion: he is soft spoken, he demurs, he defers to his betters; all the while accruing influence and information. Ideally, by the time his true ambitions are revealed, it is far too late.

Milton gives Jacque a curious look as the Priscus details his background. The law and the body, how utterly classical. He nods, seemingly impressed, but holds his silver tongue for now.

When the game finally resolves, Milton reaches out and tips his King with a look of resignation.

"Well played, Priscus," he says with a tight smile. Somehow he looks both chastened and predatory. "I believe you had me from mid-game on." He pauses, listening to Jacque's word of warning concerning their Monarch, "And if the Prince held you to a stalemate, then her intelligence is quite evident. Rest assured, I will respect that fact."

Milton pushes back in his chair and stands, his bag in hand.

"No, Priscus. I will not trouble you further," I would not want to compliment you any more than I already have. "Thank you for your time. I hope we can play another match sooner rather than later."

With that, Milton offers Jacque a bow fitting of his station, pausing for a moment before departing in case his Priscus has anything further to add.

Thank you for the wonderful scene!
    Health: Vitae: WP: BP: 1

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Rest assured, I am not disturbed by your manner. I will absolutely expect your... unfailing approach in most settings. Tonight, with it being just us," he shrugged with the disinterest of repeating the suggestion.

A grin simply responded to Milton's analysis of their match. True as it was, he neither confirmed nor denied. Jacque was not a sore winner on this or any other night.

Standing with Milton, he collects his set and the gift with great care. Nodding, he responded, "I would enjoy that Mister Northbridge."

Great scene! Thank you!

Blood Hunt:

7. Likes Endymion liked this post
Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
Closed Thread