(John Campbell)
    Rigid Mask
    Trained Observer
    Composure
    (Placid)
    Perfect Stillness
    James Turner

Mien
    Skin pulled back tight against his frame and a ghostly white, eyes and mouth sucking and empty pits that appear to be without end. His shadow a deep black that seems to be driving the body instead of the other way around.

PRE

Whisperwisp

John was already at work getting the winter hallow set up after he'd done a once over and figured out that whatever had been or had happened here had been quite some time ago. With that done it was time to cut junk, tidy up, and begin the process of making it a bolthole for Winter. Basic supplies, a couple of books and candles. John had already started on a list and it went like this:
    John's List

It was a work in progress as ideas came to him as he put the room together as someone with touch of OCD would do. Everything that could be at right angles was at right angles so everything was as symmetrical as he could make it. Whatever was going on John seemed to be in a good mood as he could be heard singing through the open window. Voice carrying with the rustle of the thorns, his curse from Arcadia.

"Sleep tight, grim rite
    We have two hundred couches where you can sleep tight, grim rite
    We have two hundred couches where you can sleep tight, grim rite
    We have two hundred couches where you can sleep tonight
    Sleep tonight, sleep tonight
    Sleep tonight"
    1 success

It was passable for Karaoke, about midway through, when everyone was just a little tipsy. John currently had a camping lantern lit and small little tea lights set up so the place wasn't just lit up fluorescent white and burn out all their retinas. John gave a wave to Gerrit just wafting the smoke of his cigarettes off before putting it back in the ashtray on the table.

"Sorry about that. Just trying to get everything together. If we end up having a long Winter I want this place to feel like home." Also it was conveniently located for him, not that he needed an excuse to visit a cemetery.

"I know we haven't got to talk much so I wanted to get to know you but I also thought of that lesson you wanted. So I thought of a game we could play if you're interested. I know you don't drink but uh, do you drink seltzer water cause I got you some and if not I'll drink it."

Goes by the name: John

2. Likes Shenanigans, Aeolus liked this post
    New Identity
    (Gerrit Jameson)
    Gerrit

Mien:
    Leathery scars, bruises and scaly scabs cover the whole hairless body. There is a certain symmetry to the disfigurements, the color of the visible skin ranging from pale pink to purple and dark red. Lately patches of dark blue and black - frostbite - have appeared on his skin and some of the scabs have frozen over and crystalized.
    His right hand shows a copper-coloured, wilted and flaky scar, engulfing most of his palm and the inside of his wrist. Next to frostbite and bruised scars it adds a third layer of wounds bore by the Ogre.

Mantle:
    Contrast seem to grow slightly more stark around Gerrit, the crisp clearness of a winter morning. Sometimes the sound of ice forming or breaking can be heard in a short, brisk snap. When using Contracts a subtle, biting cold can be felt around Gerrit - pins and needles prick both the Onyx and those close to him.

Crown:
    Solid, thick panes of clear ice symmetrically arranged around his head with fern frost at the base.
    Active Pledges

Motley Pledge

Only a result of 10 on a die is considered a success. Should a given die result in no successes, the failure is considered to be a dramatic failure, though the oathbreaker may spend a point of willpower to negate this, making it a regular failure.
    -Until Oct 5th.

PRE

Stonebones Snowskin

Considering how the last time they met at the Hollow went, Gerrit had been a bit hesitant to follow John's invitation. Walking through the cemetery to enter the little bunker they've found for themselves added to that feeling of uneasiness. What were we thinking?

Maybe the King of Sorrow wanted to give the Ogre a lesson in keeping the Ice Law - burying hope and dreams beneath a healthy dose of realism and pragmaticism. Maybe he came around to Gerrit's way of thinking.

Maybe it was none of the above and the Darkling already forgot about the last time. God knew the Stonebones was especially keen to overthink stuff like this.

When he went through the gate and found himself on the little clearing he stopped an listened. Was John.. singing? He didn't know why, but that change in behaviour made Gerrit more uneasy than anything else and he cautiously approached the den.

He greeted John and watched him, unsure of what to make of all of this. The Whisperwisp seemed to be in an unusually good mood. "Hello John. Uhm.. how are you?" He noticed all the changes that have happened to the Hollow already and appreciated them - felt a whole lot more like theirs - but they took a back seat for the moment.

At first he forgot about what he asked last time - he took the lesson John talked about as what he had been worrying on the way. Then it came back to him. Lying, keeping a poker face. So maybe this was all part of a facade, a jolly good time to show him the extend of good acting?

He went over to one of the stumps and sat down heavily. "A game? I guess.. but I'll stick to water, thank you."

4. Likes Shenanigans liked this post

John Campbell
    New Identity
    (John Campbell)
    Rigid Mask
    Trained Observer
    Composure
    (Placid)
    Perfect Stillness
    James Turner

Mien
    Skin pulled back tight against his frame and a ghostly white, eyes and mouth sucking and empty pits that appear to be without end. His shadow a deep black that seems to be driving the body instead of the other way around.

PRE

Whisperwisp

John had gotten lost in the moment, forgotten he wouldn't be alone forever. Gotten used to being by himself in the hollow and as it felt more like a home. Gerrit asked his question and John took a second and processed it. John, really? Yea, where's your magic carpet Aladdin? Worried about her keeping it secret, didn't think I'd have to police my own behavior so much.

"I'm doing quite well, and yourself Gerrit?" John nodded, frowned, shifted and went and added a note to his list. -Plumbing? Thankfully there was at least water bottles there so they had something while they worked. He'd grab one of the waters and seltzers for himself before sitting down at the table.

"We could do it a couple of ways but the one I had in mind was you tell me about yourself. It's a blank slate, I shouldn't know if you're lying or not. If I catch the lie, you tell me the truth. If I don't then mission accomplished. Just give me three true statements then start in on some facts about yourself?" He really wished he could make it sound less clinical. "If not we can chat and I can give you the foundation, in my perspective, to a good lie."

6. Likes Aeolus, Shenanigans liked this post
    New Identity
    (Gerrit Jameson)
    Gerrit

Mien:
    Leathery scars, bruises and scaly scabs cover the whole hairless body. There is a certain symmetry to the disfigurements, the color of the visible skin ranging from pale pink to purple and dark red. Lately patches of dark blue and black - frostbite - have appeared on his skin and some of the scabs have frozen over and crystalized.
    His right hand shows a copper-coloured, wilted and flaky scar, engulfing most of his palm and the inside of his wrist. Next to frostbite and bruised scars it adds a third layer of wounds bore by the Ogre.

Mantle:
    Contrast seem to grow slightly more stark around Gerrit, the crisp clearness of a winter morning. Sometimes the sound of ice forming or breaking can be heard in a short, brisk snap. When using Contracts a subtle, biting cold can be felt around Gerrit - pins and needles prick both the Onyx and those close to him.

Crown:
    Solid, thick panes of clear ice symmetrically arranged around his head with fern frost at the base.
    Active Pledges

Motley Pledge

Only a result of 10 on a die is considered a success. Should a given die result in no successes, the failure is considered to be a dramatic failure, though the oathbreaker may spend a point of willpower to negate this, making it a regular failure.
    -Until Oct 5th.

PRE

Stonebones Snowskin

"I'm doing well too, thank you." Maybe he was reading too much into it and after last time he knew better than to ask further questions. Frankly, it hasn't been that often he met the Darkling - he very well could have his good days and Gerrit just had not been lucky enough to catch them yet. He watched John write something down before joining him and frowned himself. "Putting together a shopping list?"

When John explained his game Gerrit shifted a bit self-consciously on his seat. Blank slate? It's been half a year and they've never sat down and talked, as a court of three? And what was there to tell? He never really felt all that interesting, but maybe that's where the lies could come in? How long has he just silently looked at the Darkling?

Gerrit cleared his throat in a raspy, gurgled sound and nodded. "All right. Uhm, so I am 43 years old, I was a firefighter before.. you know." He hesitated for a moment. Would he have to open the old wound and talk about his family? He felt like he started to heal pretty well, so maybe he court skirt around the topic. "I really like those classic movies of the 40s and 50s."

1 success

"I've even taken some tap-dancing lessons back in the day." He opted to go for an early lie - maybe that would add some credibility? He kept his voice even, just continuing on as before and just tried to add a slightly embarrassed tone to it. There was a strange moment where he remembered two memories at pretty much the same time: John's performance at their first Court meeting, pleading and crying so convincingly, and his father promising them that he could be better, could stop hitting that pipe. The Ogre fell silent and pressed his lips together. Was this really something he wanted to become good at?

"I uh, I don't really have much experience with this and I'm not really sure if I really want this." A half-lie - he had plenty of second-hand experience. "Isn't it just too tempting to play with people when you're too good at lying?"

8. Likes Shenanigans, Shane liked this post

John Campbell
    New Identity
    (John Campbell)
    Rigid Mask
    Trained Observer
    Composure
    (Placid)
    Perfect Stillness
    James Turner

Mien

PRE

Whisperwisp

He knew they hadn’t really gotten any time together, meeting in passing at the Dread Lords Coronation and then the whirlwind of coming together as a Court, then prepping for Coronation had left James with little time. He was glad when Gerrit asked for the lesson it gave him a good enough kick in the pants to be able to sit down. Duty first, right?

“Good to hear Gerrit, sorry we haven’t done this sooner. I have excuses but I won’t make them. A shopping list of sorts, things we might need, future projects to consider, adjustments to be made. Don’t think I could stop myself if I tried.” He was usually at least, tried to look at problems and make plans to solve them.

He listened to Gerrit’s initial statements, looking at his face taking in his features the way the scars shifted and pulled, the way he was fighting fidgeting with his hands. Those eyes watching, waiting, his body perfectly still as he waited. “Clark Gable or Gene Kelly?” He asked when Gerrit brought up older movies. This was still a getting to know you session after all.

5 successes

He cleared his throat when Gerrit brought up tap-dancing, clearly not buying it for a second though he offered the Ogre a smile. “There’s a quote, I don’t remember the origin it goes ‘the best part of believe is the lie.’ Belief is the basis of lies, it’s not about making OTHERS believe your lies it’s about making YOURSELF believe them. If you can convince yourself of something, you can convince anyone.

“You have to fold the lie into your being, into your person. Make it real to you, whatever that means to you.”
    For James it meant he sometimes decided he was someone else. They might have the same name but different backgrounds, different upbringings, he had a whole life story for them in his head. He might not tap dance himself, but he could think that well of course his parents had signed him up for lessons, what parents didn’t during the time. Was it possible he had at some point? Then the lie could find ground to take root.

The was the first lesson. “Also don’t forget, Winter is the season of hiding beneath the surface. Don’t forget the gifts it gives.” A reminder that their mantle was an anchor, there to keep them hidden, keep them safe, to keep their cool. He nodded at Gerrit's concerns though.

“Lies can be good too though. You look nice in that dress, I’m doing well today. Lies keep us safe from them. Our existence is a lie, I can’t go around telling everyone I was taken to another world and made a being of a shadow and that the person they spent the last twenty years with is nothing more than a collection of sticks and leaves animated by fairy magic.

“I think a lie is like any tool, it’s in how you use it. I’m good at deception but I use it to keep us and them safe. If a normal person catches us doing anything tricky I need to be able to write it off. Well, try to at least. But if you’re not comfortable we don’t have to push at all, not going to make you do anything you’re uncomfortable with.

“Why firefighter?”

10. Likes Shenanigans, Aeolus liked this post
    New Identity
    (Gerrit Jameson)
    Gerrit

Mien:

Mantle:

Crown:
    Active Pledges

Motley Pledge

-Until Oct 5th.

PRE

Stonebones Snowskin

Gerrit just shrugged when John explained himself. He was Monarch now, that meant being busy. "Sounds good, if you need help with anything just let me know." They had made some good progress in at least cleaning the dusty forgotten Hollow, but the Darkling was right: there was much left to do.

His body language relaxed a bit when the follow-up question was asked. He wasn't in trouble after all and John seemed to be interested. "Kelly, but mostly Astaire. There is something about those movies, a carelessness that is hard to find nowadays." He noticed his hands fidgeting and placed them squarely on his knees. "Of course we know that life was anything but easy back then, but it is so easy to lose yourself in those lighthearted illusions." The fact that he discovered and shared his preference for those movies with his wife maybe tinted his glasses somewhat rose-colored, but it is what it is. He hesitated for a moment - was he allowed to ask John questions too or did that go against what he had planned? "Uh, so I suppose you tend to stick to the 80s and 90s when it comes to movies, right?"

The Whisperwisp saw through the lie easily enough - embarrassingly so. Not that Gerrit was surprised, that's why he asked for this after all. "You are right. I never learned it, but I always wanted to.. you know, dance like Astaire." Telling the truth was part of the deal. "I suppose I hoped that this would add enough believability to it.. guess I was wrong about that. But how do you keep those multiple truths separated? Does making it real to myself mean I have to stick with this lie or are you able to just discard it afterwards?" He looked down and picked up the water to busy his hands, to stop himself from scratching at the never healing scabs. "I get that those questions are rather stupid.. I mean yeah, everybody tells a white lie now and then. But those are to lift others up. What if I get so good at swinging that hammer that everything starts to look like a nail? What if it starts with some niceties and ends with me becoming a selfish, deceiving jerk?" Although, the angle of keeping others safe from the Fae was something Gerrit could get behind. "Then again, maybe I should push myself a little. Maybe I'm too comfortable with where I'm at."

2 successes

The last question came sort of out of the blue that Gerrit almost just answered honestly, but then he caught himself. This wasn't something he ever talked about. He looked at John and tried to consciously control his face and his body - try to make them move the way they usually would. He quickly thought about a small boy just healthily and normally interested in fire trucks and the small-town heroes saving cats out of trees. A normal child with a normal childhood. "I guess I just like the normal boy stuff when I was young. I'm not stupid, but academics never really appealed to me so I took up what I found interesting." Gerrit also reminded himself about what his Monarch said concerning the Mantle. It flared up subtly, highlighting contrasts and colors - making the Ogre seem more trustworthy and clearer, really unable to hide anything.

12. Likes Shenanigans, Shane liked this post

John Campbell
    New Identity
    (John Campbell)
    Rigid Mask
    Trained Observer
    Composure
    (Placid)
    Perfect Stillness
    James Turner

Mien

PRE

Whisperwisp

John nodded, offering soft smile in return. “Yea, same reasons why I like Kelly. though if I had to choose, I’d probably go Bogart over all for that time, but I’m biased.” Carelessness, light-hearted illusions, it was easy for his thoughts to wander there but he held them in he’d talk to her later and that would be good enough. “Yep, exactly how I feel about the 80s and 90s, reminds me of simpler times, lots of good feelings attached to them.” At least not bad ones, he answered so it seems questions in return were more than ok.

Gerrit’s next question was a hard one, he went still as his mind began processing how to answer it. Also noting that he spoke of hopes and dreams. Seemed to be a driving force for Gerrit, that drive, that belief that things can be better and will get better. John thought he finally understood that now. Now that there was a chance at an actual future for him. “The best lie is one you live, it’s constant, it’s repeated, it establishes belief and credibility. But it’s not often feasible. I wouldn’t say discard, file away maybe? To remember in case that person or situation ever comes up again. Like a cover identity?”

Not that John was the type to let things go easily in the first place. He’d seen Gerrit fidget with his hands and then hide them, he was aware of it and addressed it. Good first step. He nodded to Gerrit’s hands. “My habit for smoking when I’m upset or stressed is well known, I can’t help it. It’s a coping mechanism, but I know it is so I can use it to my advantage too. If I need an enemy to see me as weak or off guard for example.”

He quirked an eyebrow as Gerrit got to the real issue for him, another small nod. “Are you a selfish, deceptive jerk?” It was a plain question, presented simply but he didn’t pause for a response. “I don’t believe that you are, you’re kind and caring from what I can tell and I’d like to think I’m a good judge of character. If I give you a knife is the first thing, you’re going to do with it is hurt someone? Same thing with a lie, it’s how it’s used. There’s no stupid questions here Gerrit, you’re learning and we’re learning about each other, yea ?”

1 success

Whatever lie Gerrit had told had gotten past John, at least he didn’t mention it. The conversation seemed to flow as normal, just an easy back and forth. The mantle seeming to do its job to calm the Winters movements, to stop that slight frown when he told a lie. “I know what you mean. I went to college before…” He stopped himself there, clearing his throat. “all this. But I never really knew what I wanted to do or become; I didn’t even know what I was good at. I was made just as much as shown what I’d be good at. My fetch likely did more with that life than I would have, ended up becoming a war correspondent. I stopped watching the news after that.”

Gerrit shared, then John shared. The conversation flowed as lies were slipped in just as much training for John as it was for Gerrit, just sharpening known skills instead of learning new ones.

14. Likes Shenanigans, Aeolus liked this post
    New Identity
    (Gerrit Jameson)
    Gerrit

Mien:

Mantle:

Crown:
    Active Pledges

Motley Pledge

-Until Oct 5th.

PRE

Stonebones Snowskin

"They don't really make movies like that anymore, do they?" He was aware how much he sounded like an old man there. "It seems nowadays people want to feel powerful, like heroes. They want to see the adversities and overcome them. I guess I don't get it." Then again, he also struggled to identify with the defiant streak of the 80s and 90s.

John's explanation did little to calm Gerrit down in that concern. "So you just keep living that lie? Isn't that.. exhausting? I mean, I get the need for one fake identity - I'm not who I used to be, at least on paper. But I don't think I can hold up anything more elaborate." He thought for a moment. "I couldn't keep up traits or stories that aren't me I think. Not with the people I trust or like." It sounded almost like a capitulation.

He listened to the advice about his habits and nodded. That one he could do. Which lead to the other issue. "No, I can honestly say that I am not. But that doesn't mean that I couldn't become one, or maybe I am selfish and it's thanks to my critical vigilance that I'm not giving into it. Growing up I uh, I didn't have the best examples in that regard." He fell silent again, still not looking at the Darkling sitting across from him. Taking a sip of water, thinking. Then, almost meekly. "I guess it's a sliding scale. I do need to keep secrets when it's important, but I guess I can't go all the way into having several truths at the ready." He didn't apologize for being a bad Winter this time - he knew John disagreed on that regard. But he couldn't keep himself from asking what else was on his mind for the last few minutes. "Are you living a different John for Cassandra and me, too?" With that he finally looked at John again. It didn't sound like an accusation, rather like a plea for honesty.

He was surprised that John didn't catch that one. Maybe the advice he had been giving was working, maybe the Darkling just wanted him to believe they were. Gerrit just hoped he could hide his surprise well enough. "Did you find your Fetch right away? How.. what did you do?"

16. Likes Shenanigans, Shane liked this post

John Campbell
    New Identity
    (John Campbell)
    Rigid Mask
    Trained Observer
    Composure
    (Placid)
    Perfect Stillness
    James Turner

Mien

PRE

Whisperwisp

“It was different a time, most people were experience wellness and prosperity that’s been slowly being eroded away over time.” It was a deeper discussion that he could have but he left that ball in Gerrit’s Court since they weren’t exactly there to discuss why 90s movies were so bleak and fatalistic.

John shook his head, “If you go deep cover yes, you HAVE to do that. If I went to scout out the cultists it’d be easiest if I pretended to be one of them, no? But if you can, it is helpful to remember what lies you tell to what people but not always necessary. How many people do we meet everyday and forget? Same thing. It might be different for you as well, just trying to help you establish your own rules and guidelines. I can help give you the tools and just like myself you can choose not to use them.”

“Sorry to hear that. For what it’s worth I think you’re a good person. You care a lot and it shows in who you are and what you do. You saw what not to do from them, just as important as seeing what to do.“ He understood though, he could see himself becoming a liar, a cheat, a manipulator but it was active vigilance that had stopped that. “Well Winter is vigilant, it’s something I have to keep an eye on too. Valid concern. At least I have good company to keep me honest.” Because of course it was, and the fact that he had it told John more than anything. He was a good person or better liar than he let on.

“I’d stick with one off lies for now, we’ll save living a double life for your Thesis.” He said with a deep, amused chuckle a playful smirk playing at his face. Then he dropped the bombshell. John had meant to be open and honest with both of them, he hadn’t planned or expected to get involved with Cassandra and it pushed him, made him question his values, made him hate himself for being dishonest with Gerrit and not just tell him. Well he hasn’t asked, has he? It’s not a lie if you can avoid the question. But it was his turn to keep a poker face.

3 successes

“Right now I’m instructor John. Often times I’m sad John. This is the first time in awhile I’m not tired John and it’s nice.” The truth, technically but still having to weave in deception into it to keep up the secret but doing so made him feel sick, made his stomach churn with bile at what he was doing. Lying to his friend, he shook his head. “Yes.” He answered honestly. “But no, I can not tell you how or why, I’m sorry. But I’ve been doing it my whole life just so people wouldn’t feel sorry for me. Ironic.” A sad, bitter laugh as he shook his head. “I’m going to smoke if you don’t mind?” Thumbing at the window.

“It didn’t take long. Learning technology was part of the onboarding process and my name is one of the first things I searched for. Imagine my surprise when I saw myself covering the war in Iraq except about twenty years older. Just as handsome, just older.” He gave a small snort, obviously poking fun at himself but who could you laugh at if not yourself.

18. Likes Aeolus, Shenanigans liked this post
    New Identity
    (Gerrit Jameson)
    Gerrit

Mien:

Mantle:

Crown:
    Active Pledges

Motley Pledge

-Until Oct 5th.

PRE

Stonebones Snowskin

Gerrit just kind of grunted at that last remark - he liked to watch movies, but he was far from a encyclopediac enthusiast. He was fine with letting that topic rest.

"Hm." Weirdly, Gerrit's respect for John just grew a bit more. At the same time, he realized that he probably wasn't cut out to be a proper spy or anything like that. "I think I'll go with my own guidelines and just hope that I won't water them down anytime it is comfortable to do so. I can respect your ability to go so deep, but that's not me. I will keep this in mind though - I'm sure it will help me some day."

The Ogre shifted a bit awkwardly as he received that much praise - he certainly hasn't been fishing for compliments. "Thank you. So maybe let's promise to keep each other honest then." He believed John when he said he was a good judge of character and he wasn't afraid that the King of Sorrow would use him and watch as he was becoming a liar, so that reassurance ment a lot to Gerrit.

He chuckled along with the Darkling, once again wondering about his change in mood since the last time they talked.

2 successes

John's answer was elaborate and seemed honest enough - but was it too elaborate? Did he just say a lot of words to skirt around the issue? What am I doing here doubting a friend? The Ogre shook his head slightly and smiled. "No, please go ahead. I don't mind the smoke. And uh, I get it. The not wanting to have other people worry for me, so.." It was not much in terms of keeping the flow of the conversation going after that sort of question, but he was momentarily too taken aback to do any better. The moments in which John would be busy with cigarettes and the window were a godsent for him to regain his composure.

"And you never thought about reclaiming your old life?" He almost felt like a broken record, asking the same question to just about every Lost he talked to, but he needed to know how people handled this situation. He didn't want to feel like the only sucker.

20. Likes Shane liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread