Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

A closed bookstore (Study Buddies)

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Dec 9, 2020 : Study Buddies
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
    Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Walls and the Floor become slightly tilted, there's a sickly sweet and sharp smell in the air. Faintly, the sound chains (and even fainter: the sound of leather) can be heard. More powerful spells make the sounds more pronounced and colors seem to pulsate.
    Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0
    Active Spells: 1/4
    Personal Spells: 1

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

Yep, definitely a topic the Moros enjoyed. "Ah don't worry, I'm sure you'll knock it out of the park." Should he tell Corn that Campanella was probably the only one to actually read this? Nah, no need to disappoint him like that. Besides, Crystal might be wrong about that. He opted for a more neutral answer. "I think the primary audience would be our little club, so it's not like you're career is depending on that or anything."

Maybe it was just the way the San Fran Guardians were so quick to find out about Crystal's oopsies, but Corn's carefree attitude about that really rubbed Crystal the wrong way. Shit, he wasn't going to be thrown out of here because some nerd couldn't be bothered to remember some aliases. "Bart is short for Bartram, which is how our book club president likes to be called. And yes, I'd very much like to keep the innuendos - who knows what sort of window's this store has, what kind of shenanigans someone else is playing on us. It really. Doesn't. Hurt." Ugh, that was way tenser than he'd anticipated this evening to go. He downed the rest of his cup and went for a refill.

"Huh, that sounds... interesting." He probably wouldn't vibe with that at all, but he could totally understand where she's coming from. But he didn't want to talk Supernal stuff all evening, so he worked hard to stay on more mundane topics. "Ever thought about doing music yourself?"
    He blinked twice, slowly. He didn't want to stay irritated with Corn, so instead he smiled brightly at the Moros. "Anything's more interesting than work, really. You just have to broaden your horizon. Tell us about something you're passionate about - that we don't know of yet. What got you into books, for instance?"
    Health: Willpower: Mana:

Aurora
    Spells
    Striking Looks
    (Riveting)
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Fame
    (Entertainment)
    Madison Cross
    (Sleeper ID)
    Gnosis
    Aurora
    Aurora

Dedicated Magical Tool

Multicolored copper bracelet with intricate loops winding around her right wrist.
    Nimbus

The sweet, fragrant smells of roses mixed with lilacs emanate from her as she casts magic. The scent intensifies, bordering on intoxicating, when Life magic is cast. When Aurora casts Vulgar magic, the scent takes a nasty turn, to the putrid, nauseating odor of a rotting corpse. The stronger the magic, the more those around want to retch at the smell.
    Monthly Spells

Monthly spells done on character sheet.

Pulse of the Living World[POT 6]
    Organic Resilience[POT 6]
    (PrP Treasure Hunt)

Active Spells: 1/6
    [Detect Substance]Bone
    Personal Spells: 2/3
    Vulgar:
    Mana:6/8
    WP:3

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

Picking up a piece of cheese, “It’s where my knowledge of our laws comes from, a specialty if you will. I used to be a lawyer. But I suppose I still technically could be.” Popping the cheese into her mouth, “The head of our book club. Just like I’m Madison, he’s Bart.” A pause, thinking about what he said. “Well, lets consider some factors. Do you know for an absolute fact this place is completely secure? Has the room been secured? Really secured. Because if you say it is, and I check, and you’ve lied? Well, we’ll have a problem.” The Guardians will be the last of his worries. “And there are always people looking for us. Always. You never let your guard down, and if you do, that’s how you die. The second you forget that, is the second you’re another statistic in our world. We have laws and rules, I might not be a lawyer anymore, but I won’t sit back and have my safety or anyone else’s put in jeopardy because someone doesn’t like being careful.” And that was that.

“I only say that because it seems my career is always something that people want to talk about. And I’m not someone who needs the conversation focused on me. I’d rather learn about you guys. The usual stuff, what your hobbies are and that exciting stuff.” Exciting to her, because it wasn’t focused on her. "Or we could play a game, one designed to get to know those around you. Two truths and a lie." it worked way back when with Avis and Star. And had been fun.

See, Crystal got it. A point for him, so she just nods, raising her cup to him.

“Me? Music?” then she laughs, an honest laugh. “I can’t sing, and I don’t have much rhythm. Well, aside from learned routines, but that’s it. I’d rather leave it to the professionals who clearly have a better understanding.” Maybe if she was still an Acanthus. A little luck could go a long way.

“Oh! That’s a good one!” looking to Corn.

Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Nimbus: Light purple aura and a scent of freshly dug earth after a rain.
    Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost
      Analyze life, WP to boost a roll, Paradox mitigation, Non-path magic, Getting out of Grapple

PRE

"It is not secured in that way, no. I think I informed you from the get go, that this place is as vanilla as it can be. So, I would say I know for a fact that it is not secured, you don't have to check Madison. If you do, you will find out no protections.
    You guys took a dark turn quickly. The book club in San Fransisco was equally careful, well more so I may say - getting our pictures in a phone would cause a big Woooow. But once I got away from the big city and back to rural california, we were more relaxed.
    " And that's when the Hunters showed up... perhaps they have a point. "I may be getting a bit rusty, but I thought Sacramento was safer than the other big cities. I apologize for causing concern, I don't want to ruin the mood. Please keep in mind that I don't keep any book-club related numbers in my phone or on me. It's all in my head." he said tapping the side of his head. "I am not careless, no need to feel uncomfortable."
    In his mind the extra paranoia from the other two (or from his previous mage acquaintances) didn't help much. If someone scried in this bookstore out of hours, it wouldn't be a random check and if someone heard him calling a mage by a tricky name it would barely register or be taken as a last name or nickname.
    But the other two wanted to be careful and were vigilant. He couldn't fault them for that. They were not asking for much.

When the game was brought up he was in agreement but then Aurora went with the answering questions. He got a refill of the beer and sipped it.
    "I would prefer the 2 truths and a lie to be honest. But since you directly asked, I will answer: unfortunately, what got me in books is not that exciting. From a young age I liked to learn things. I liked fairytales and started reading fairytales. But soon, I found out that I liked learning things about the world and how it works. Physics, chemistry, geology, etc. I also liked history and geography and more esoteric subjects like the afterlife and bizarre superstitions and practices.

What I am passionate about... Well, I still like to learn things. I watch documentaries and period dramas more than action flicks. I like puzzle games too and I try to remain in touch with my large extended family. I also like cooking. I don't see it like Gu- I mean, the person that brings the cake in the book-club gatherings. I see it as making something nice out of raw ingredients. More or less what I think Madison likes about making her beer. I would also start making my own beer, as I like the end product we taste today, but then I would be a copycat. So... I will bake snacks that I hope would successfully complement the taste of this beer next time. I also like to fix broken furniture and making models, mostly for the same reason: Making something out of materials. But since I have joined the book-club I have gotten much better at it using what we learn there. I do it as a hobby without the book-club techniques but for furniture we have at home, I mostly use the book-club stuff. And then pretend I spent an hour to fix the leaky faucet.

All these are true things BTW, boring as they may be. Two truths and a lie sounds better to learn about each other. Perhaps we should continue with that?
    "
    For scene effects, see Minisheet. No monthly rituals at this time.
    Occult 4 because Mysterium is about the knowledge!

Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Walls and the Floor become slightly tilted, there's a sickly sweet and sharp smell in the air. Faintly, the sound chains (and even fainter: the sound of leather) can be heard. More powerful spells make the sounds more pronounced and colors seem to pulsate.
    Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

There wasn't really much more to say about the matter of security - either Corn got it or he didn't. And if he didn't then he'd either get away with it or he wouldn't. Crystal just knew that getting all defensive about it didn't really scream 'you've made a point there'. He fished for some more pretzels and leaned back with his cup and a hand full of snacks.

He listened to Corn's background - what's it with Mages and the need for exciting shit anyway? - and raised an eyebrow when Corn listed the different things he was into. You had to give him some props for the sheer range of topics he was interested in. That he also realized and corrected his mistake earned him an amused smile. "Oh, you probably mean Josh - or Jay as some people call him. Yeah, he's a great guy. We went out together once and I was thinking to myself 'Chris, you've found your people!'." There, now he also dropped his alias again, in case the Moros forgot what Crystal had told him back at the library.

"I'd like to get into your baked goods - maybe you two can have a good old-fashioned bake-off!"
    He didn't comment on the use of Magic for everyday-stuff like repairing shit. He was trigger happy with his skills back in San Francisco, but despite what others might think of him: he was still capable of learning from his mistakes. "Sounds like you've got quite the full life - kudos for that!" Although that also meant having much to lose. Eh, not Crystal's problem.

"Anyway, I hope you saved some interesting trivia for the game - again, the beautiful Madison and I think oh so alike 'cus I also thought of suggesting that. Since you two don't seem too eager to begin I'll do the honors."
    He popped a pretzel into his mouth, washed it down with a gulp of beer and thought for a moment. Then, satisfied with his statements, he leaned forward.

"Alright: I've slept with more then 200 persons in my life. I know two dead languages. I absolutely hate the smell of weed."
    That was harmless enough, yet provided with enough opportunity for them to steer the conversation into a more relaxed conversation.

Aurora
    Spells
    Striking Looks
    (Riveting)
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Fame
    (Entertainment)
    Madison Cross
    (Sleeper ID)
    Gnosis
    Aurora
    Aurora

Dedicated Magical Tool

Multicolored copper bracelet with intricate loops winding around her right wrist.
    Nimbus

The sweet, fragrant smells of roses mixed with lilacs emanate from her as she casts magic. The scent intensifies, bordering on intoxicating, when Life magic is cast. When Aurora casts Vulgar magic, the scent takes a nasty turn, to the putrid, nauseating odor of a rotting corpse. The stronger the magic, the more those around want to retch at the smell.
    Monthly Spells

(PrP Treasure Hunt)

[Detect Substance]Bone
    Vulgar:

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

“I wasn’t too happy about that whole picture thing. That’s a huge risk in my opinion, and plan on asking the head of security about it. As I’ve never seen that done before.” It didn’t sit right. “There is no place that is one hundred percent safe, we have to always be on our toes and careful.
    Sacramento has gone through its own share of dangers, and at the next club meeting, we can discuss them.”
    Sacramento was far from safe, even if things were quiet right now.

Remains in touch with family? Internal cringe.

Beautiful Madison? Okkk.

“I only kept quiet to see if you guys had heard of it and wanted to play. Because I’m not giving anything away until I know others are on board.”

Drinking her beer, she listened, thinking the words over. “I’m going to venture to say that you hating the smell of weed is the lie.” She had her reasons, and would give them if asked.

“I went to college in another country. I have never been arrested. I have never done any type of drug.” Pouring herself another cup of beer.

Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost
      Analyze life, WP to boost a roll, Paradox mitigation, Non-path magic, Getting out of Grapple

PRE

Who is Chris? Oh, riiight!
    Once the game started in earnest, he made his guesses:
    "Chris, I agree with Madison that the weed smell is the lie. Sorry man, you kinda seem the type that wouldn't hate it." He said that with a smile, hoping it wasn't taken as an insult. It was legal after all.
    For Aurora, he took a sip to think about it. "I believe the "never been arrested" is the false statement here."

Then, it came to him and he figured he should at least offer some things that were interesting.
    "OK... I have never smoked, I had a girlfriend break up with me so she could date another girl and I enjoy many computer games from the 80s."

Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

Crystal wagged his finger at the two other mages. "Nah, that one is true. Never got into the whole scene. The actual lie was the thing about languages. Although in my defense: it's on my to-do list." Yeah, had been for a few months now.

Now, Aurora's statements were interesting. The first one was probably true, but the other two were a toss up in his opinion. The Mastigos squinted at the Shaman over the rim of his cup as he took another thoughtful sip. "I could see you trying out something - I think you never having done any drugs is a lie." Everyone had taken a hit off of a joint once in their lives, right?

Corn was equally difficult. No question on the geek-dom. He could see the Moros in some sort of 'Ross from Friends'-Situation.. "I really hope your lie is the first one - about smoking. Because if the break-up thing is true I really want to hear the story behind it!"

Aurora
    Spells
    Striking Looks
    (Riveting)
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Fame
    (Entertainment)
    Madison Cross
    (Sleeper ID)
    Gnosis
    Aurora
    Aurora

Dedicated Magical Tool

Nimbus

Monthly Spells

(PrP Treasure Hunt)

[Detect Substance]Bone
    Vulgar:

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

Thinking a moment as she drank her beer, which could it be?

But he seemed too strait laced, “I’m going to say you’ve never smoked.” The others she could totally see being true.

“Huh. I saw it being true due to the book club, good one.”
    She could admit when she had been wrong. And he told a good lie.

“As for me? He got it right, and you’re wrong. I’ve never touched drugs. Though some assume I do because of my show.”
    And she could see it. But she had never seen the draw of drugs.

Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost

PRE

"Yeap, you got us the Chris. Madison, it was hard to make a guess."
    Then he shrugged and chuckled, drinking some beer. "Come on Guys! Games from the 80s were good... in the 80s. I consider most of them to be pure garbage. I am neither that old nor that retro. I was born in the 90s, I am full Millennial. Veeery few games from the 80s can pick my interest. I am retro but not that much.

Chris, her name was Christine, it happened when I was in college in San Fransisco before I joined the bookclub and I wonder whether she actually used me to get close to Martha. Our time together was not too long, just a couple of months. But we did sleep together and for years my friends made fun of me that I was so bad in bed that I turned a woman to the other team. That, or that we should have seen it coming since I loved cooking since then. Martha and Christine were together for shorter time than me and Christine but that didn't stop my friends from teasing me about it.

If it wasn't for Madison's brew, I wouldn't have shared that story.
    " although he didn't seem troubled about sharing the story.

Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Oh, so you've been arrested? What's the story behind that?" Some protesting? DUI? Hard to imagine Aurora meeting the long arm of the law.

Corn's long-winded explanation about the difference between 80s and 90s games didn't really help his point. Crystal hid his smirk behind his cup as he took another sip. His faked disappointment however was plain to see. "Shame you've heard all the teasing before. I'll have to get creative then. But it appears that your stride when it comes to women hasn't been broken, so that's that." It was good seeing them all open up a bit more. Crystal sighed contently and leaned back again.

Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread