Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

A closed bookstore (Study Buddies)

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Dec 9, 2020 : Study Buddies
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 2 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
    Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Walls and the Floor become slightly tilted, there's a sickly sweet and sharp smell in the air. Faintly, the sound chains (and even fainter: the sound of leather) can be heard. More powerful spells make the sounds more pronounced and colors seem to pulsate.
    Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0
    Active Spells: 1/4
    Personal Spells: 1

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

Crystal was pointing excitedly at the ale. "Ooh, while you're up there - mind pouring me a cup of the winter ale?" Sure, he could get up himself but he literally just sat down. Pleading eyes looking up to the Moros, promising nothing short but eternal gratitude.

He watched Aurora set the rest up and leaned back. Did she really forget how small-talk went? Start with some bullshit and see where the conversation leads - at least that's what had served him well in the past. "Let's see. What was the last thing - a song, a chance encounter, an image - that truly moved you?" This wasn't small-talk 101 anymore but he found that asking specific questions lead to the more interesting stories. "I'll go first: a few days ago I was taking a walk through the streets of Sacramento," which really meant scrolling through his phone while laying in bad curating one bitch of a hangover "and I saw this old lady, a true looker. You know, at least 70 years old a dignified air around her wearing a pretty coat with matching hat - nothing expensive, but you could tell she cared for her appearance. Anyway, she just stood at the corner, the light hit her just right and although there was nothing special about her, I just thought that she really beautiful, you know?" They most likely couldn't tell that he was describing some online sob-story shit and was filling in the details as he went. His face at least didn't betray him - he was basically reliving that day. Why would he lie about something like that anyway? Now he waited for Corn's or Aurora's story or really any kind of conversational flow.
    This was fun!
    Health: Willpower: Mana:

Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Nimbus: Light purple aura and a scent of freshly dug earth after a rain.
    Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Analyze life, WP to boost a roll, Paradox mitigation, Non-path magic, Getting out of Grapple

PRE

Corn poured for himself the Chocolate stout and some Winter Ale for Crystal. Taking a sip and letting it stay on his tongue for a moment, he nodded towards Aurora. "it is good, I like it. I think you're selling yourself short and I am not giving you false praise here. I like this one, much better than the usual commercial beer." He got a bit of cheese and a sip more of the ale as he listened to Crystal's story. Once the Mastigos stopped talking it took Corn a few moments to realize the story was over.
    That's it? An old lady that cared about her appearance on the street during Christmas? Was that supposed to be something special? Is there a hidden meaning that I lost? Probably.

Trying to cover for his inadequate understanding for Crystal's story, Corn addressed both of them. "For my story, I would tell you something about today: I met two Mysties in the Library. We ended hanging up in a Bookstore because the apartment of the one having the beer was too full of books to accept visitors" he said with a smile.
    "We are quite stereotypical." He said taking another sip from the ale. "We should have called Campanella too. He's the only one not present and I think he mentioned he's a foody. He's the one that could tell you pointers Aurora. I simply... enjoy the beer. "
    For scene effects, see Minisheet. No monthly rituals at this time.
    Occult 4 because Mysterium is about the knowledge!

Aurora
    Spells
    Striking Looks
    (Riveting)
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Fame
    (Entertainment)
    Madison Cross
    (Sleeper ID)
    Gnosis
    Aurora
    Aurora

Dedicated Magical Tool

Multicolored copper bracelet with intricate loops winding around her right wrist.
    Nimbus

The sweet, fragrant smells of roses mixed with lilacs emanate from her as she casts magic. The scent intensifies, bordering on intoxicating, when Life magic is cast. When Aurora casts Vulgar magic, the scent takes a nasty turn, to the putrid, nauseating odor of a rotting corpse. The stronger the magic, the more those around want to retch at the smell.
    Monthly Spells

Monthly spells done on character sheet.

Pulse of the Living World[POT 6]
    Organic Resilience[POT 6]
    (PrP Treasure Hunt)

Active Spells: 1/6
    [Detect Substance]Bone
    Personal Spells: 2/3
    Vulgar:
    Mana:6/8
    WP:3
    Aurora Scenes

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

She pours herself some of the stout, preferring it this time of year.

An eyebrow quirks, something that truly moved her? This wasn’t small talk, this was making her think. She didn’t want to think.

But listens to his story, not really moved by it. Blinking a few times, sipping her beer, “Does this thing that, moved, us, have to be a positive or negative thing?” it would be good to know.

“Because if it doesn’t matter, I would have to say it was the time I saw three, maybe four, ‘people’,” yes, quotes used, because Seekers were not people, “uh,” good word here, “pass away.” A shrug, another sip of her beer, her tone casual, no emotion. “It made me value life and the power that we have to change it.” It sounded vague enough in her head.

“Though that might be too heavy.” A frown, “I have various songs that move me, ones that help me meditate. I tend to live my life with a soundtrack, sometimes letting my iPod go on shuffle and let the music take wherever as I walk. I’ve found some really interesting things in the city that way.” There, that was lighter.

“Think so? Thanks! The chocolate part was an experiment this batch. Found a great recipe online and wanted to try it. So I’ll keep the recipe now.” A slightly proud smile.

Laughing, “Trust me on the book thing, there is no room to move around. Add the brew equipment and my work equipment, and it’s a mess. But I’ll get things cleaned up and invite you guys over, even give Bart a call. I can’t cook, but I know all the takeout places.” Was that a good thing? Probably not. When Campy was mentioned as a foodie, and that he could tell her pointers, her cheeks flushed oh so slightly, and she quickly took a drink. “I’ll, uh, keep that in mind.” But she already knew that, and he had mentioned wanting to brew sometime.

Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Walls and the Floor become slightly tilted, there's a sickly sweet and sharp smell in the air. Faintly, the sound chains (and even fainter: the sound of leather) can be heard. More powerful spells make the sounds more pronounced and colors seem to pulsate.
    Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Thanks, you're the best!" He tried the ale, sipping at it at first. It earned an appreciative nod and him downing half the cup. "That's really nice. Remember me when you're not sure what to do with all you excess produce."

Corn was really putting in on thickly, but then again maybe he just really felt a certain way about hanging out with the pretty kids. "Totally, we should ask him to join us. Bartram. But I don't think Madison and I are that big of a stereotype - how long has it been since the last time you went to a library?" Addressing Aurora with the last question - they totally did rock the whole academic thing, but depending on what Corn's definition of the typical Mystagogue was Crystal was pretty sure they didn't fit the bill. Also, if the Moros wouldn't start using their non-shadow names anytime soon the time of subtly hinting at them would be over.

Crystal fished for some pretzels when Aurora told her story. "Yeah, doesn't matter if positive or negative, mundane or profound." Noticing her carefully chosen words and the frown, he added given the opportunity "I'm sorry that happened to you. Although this seems like a topic for the second date, at earliest." There it was, a wink and an easy out into ridicule if she wanted to get away from that topic.
    He also gladly jumped onto her own change of topics. "Oh, do tell us the songs that make Madison's soundtrack! I guess mine would be basically everything from Young Bae and the Scissor Sisters. Adding to the soundtrack: who would play the role of you in the biopic of your life?"

Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Analyze life, WP to boost a roll, Paradox mitigation, Non-path magic, Getting out of Grapple

PRE

"Madison? That name sounds vaguely familiar..." Corn said but couldn't place it.
    He was a bit puzzled by Crystal's mention that they aren't stereotypical... "To be fair, Madison made this lovely beer after searching for the recipe online and decided to try it. We're not just about libraries, we're about knowledge. There is a lot of knowledge outside of the library. "

When Aurora mentioned the soundtracks leading her to places he nodded with interest. "That's interesting. I guess if you wanted to share info about those findings you would have - if I am wrong please feel free to share info."
    Turning to Crystal when he asked about music he thought about it a bit. "I am not that big on music. I generally hear what's on the radio. I prefer the "roady" songs. The ones that you put on the USB while on a long roadtrip, that are not too slow nor too energetic."

Aurora
    Spells
    Striking Looks
    (Riveting)
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Fame
    (Entertainment)
    Madison Cross
    (Sleeper ID)
    Gnosis
    Aurora
    Aurora

Dedicated Magical Tool

Multicolored copper bracelet with intricate loops winding around her right wrist.
    Nimbus

The sweet, fragrant smells of roses mixed with lilacs emanate from her as she casts magic. The scent intensifies, bordering on intoxicating, when Life magic is cast. When Aurora casts Vulgar magic, the scent takes a nasty turn, to the putrid, nauseating odor of a rotting corpse. The stronger the magic, the more those around want to retch at the smell.
    Monthly Spells

(PrP Treasure Hunt)

[Detect Substance]Bone
    Vulgar:
    Aurora Scenes

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

Looking up from her glass, “Me? A couple weeks actually. Though my specialty lies with the laws that govern our community. But with my recent appreciation of philosophy, I’ve become more of a guest at, regular, libraries.” Ones that didn’t include the Lex. “But I also don’t think anyone would expect to find me in a library or with an extensive book collection.” She didn’t appear to be an intellect. Though she wouldn’t call herself one.

Shrugging, “It goes with the work we do.” Brushing it aside.

Laughing, grabbing a piece of cheese, “Hmm, lets see. It’s been evolving, right now I’m hooked on The Hu and IAMX. I like music that makes me move. For more meditative music, I gravitate towards Loreena McKennitt or Lindsey Sterling. It’s kind of all over the place actually.” Laughing again. “A biopic of my life? I can’t picture that one, so I can’t give an answer.” They were Awakened, they died early and were a secret.

“Madison is my stage name, one I’ve performed under for more years than I will admit to.” Because then they gave away age, and she wasn’t about that. “But if you're into sword swallowing, and contortion, I'm your girl. Semi-retired, but still, I’m one of the most flexible people currently in the business.” Yeah, she still had it. But someone younger and more flexible would come along. It was only matter of time.

“To be fair, the whole pursuit of knowledge thing is fairly new to me. I only joined our club a couple years ago.” They others had the experience on her.

Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

Well, Corn's made a point about the non-academic pursuit of knowledge there. Crystal regarded him with a cheers of his cup. "Okay you got me there - although I don't know if others would agree with that particular stereotype. By the way, how's your paper coming along?"

"Huh, never heard of any of those - what kind of music does The Hu make?" He'd like to picture her dancing, but there's a whole lot of room between ballet and grinding in a club. "Not that big into music?" And unbelieving blink at Corn. "You should really try some low-fi house or something. It could really help you focus! Like, try experiencing new things!" He smiled broadly at the Moros - what kind of Mystagogue could ignore this kind of challenge?

"I could see a young Chris Evans playing the role of me. I mean, everybody would want to see him doing what I did most of my life so it's a win-win for everyone involved."

Now that Aurora mentioned it again Crystal realized something. "Oh shit, aren't you famous or something?"

Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

PRE

Corn frowned when the paper was mentioned. "It doesn't go very well. I have gathered the information and reviews and references on alchemy from our side and the Sleeper side without much hussle. I also have some work done on the critical review of the resources and the format. But the good news stop there. I have issues putting the thoughts, scattered info and notes in a way to make a coherent, flowing paper that would pass the test of time. As this would be my first work here, I want it to be good, not just passable.
    I am also stressing about a related issue that Madison could perhaps answer as she's two years in the fold in Sacramento.
    "
    Turning to the Master and taking another sip of beer he asked, "Do you know if the papers are sent to outside, unknown reviewers or they're simply examined by the local community?" With just a dadouchos here, it could well be the later and that would be a greater challenge.

Corn ate a bit of cheese, but as the discussion turned to Aurora's fame he raised an eyebrow.
    "Famous? Do you plan to become "less retired" now that the threats are subsiding? Or those other assholes were not the reason for your semi-retirement?" If she's naturally flexible and she adds the Thyrsus powers on top of that she's probably one of the most flexible people in existence. And semi-retired? She was probably younger than him. Of course, you could never tell with Life Masters.

Aurora
    Spells
    Striking Looks
    (Riveting)
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Fame
    (Entertainment)
    Madison Cross
    (Sleeper ID)
    Gnosis
    Aurora
    Aurora

Dedicated Magical Tool

Nimbus

Monthly Spells

(PrP Treasure Hunt)

[Detect Substance]Bone
    Vulgar:
    Aurora Scenes

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

“The Hu are a Mongolian band who fuse traditional folk instruments and throat-singing with heavy metal. It creates such an interesting sound that it just draws you in. Or, well, it does for me. It’s different and I like different.” In a world where people are lazy and just copying what has already been done, she wanted different.

A light shrug, “Or something.” Drinking more beer and grabbing a pretzel.

Raising an eyebrow, “Two years in the fold? What fold? Our book club? Because I’ve been in Sacramento a lot longer than two years.” A whole of a lot longer.

Then he answered the question, with his question, “Oh, um, well, I’ve never seen any papers. I know they are typically part of the club, but I’ve never been asked to write one, or read one. So I cannot give you an answer, be best to ask Bart. Though I’d think it’s safe to say that Sacramento tends to do things a bit differently.” No joke there.

A chuckle and shake of her head, “No, I plan to fully retire. The threats are not a reason, my reasons are more personal and just wanting more out of life.” No lie there. “One can only stay in the same field for so long before it just becomes a chore and not enjoyable.” Add her whole life to that and you get the picture. “But surely there are more interesting topics than my career.” She says with a smirk and a sip of beer.

Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

PRE

"Oh, you were in a different group before joining us?" Corn said with interest. "You may have mentioned it in the past, but I missed it. As for Bart... who is Bart? Young Chris Evans mentioned him before too. Also, is there really a need for innuendo? Are we going to call our group 'book club' even when we're just the three of us here? Is there a threat that I should know about? Groups or Agencies looking for people like us and the like? We're pretty isolated here."

When Aurora mentioned her plan to retire because staying in the same field becomes boring after a while Corn shrugged. "I can see what you mean. well, something more interesting than careers..." nothing comes to mind.
    He turned to Crystal for help to pick up an interesting subject.

Page 2 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread