(Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Walls and the Floor become slightly tilted, there's a sickly sweet and sharp smell in the air. Faintly, the sound chains (and even fainter: the sound of leather) can be heard. More powerful spells make the sounds more pronounced and colors seem to pulsate.
    Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0
    Active Spells: 1/4
    Personal Spells: 1

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

Crystal listened to Aurora attentively. He decided to respect her reluctance to talk about it and made a mental note not to ask about it until she decided to tell him about it. Or if he'd want to push her buttons. "I think it makes perfect sense. Making a difference is what drives us, I think." Some vague hand gestures illustrating nothing really. "I mean, whether one wants to make a difference for himself or for a community - few things stem from being content with the status quo. And the more informed one is, the easier it is to actually achieve something."

Guilt. Yeah, that was something he may had made some experiences with. "Sounds like we've got something brewing, all right. I think you can bring your knowledge of outer and inner influences hindering the mind and I'll chime it with my stuff. We'll find some more examples to cross-reference.." He dug in his suspiciously empty bag and brought forth a notepad and a loose pen. The time he actually spent studying at college kicked in and he was kind of getting excited.

"I see what you mean, but I guess that's more of a personal thing and not something I want to dissect to impress Corny - you know what I mean?" Maybe it's Crystal's own prejudice speaking, but the speed at which the newcomer mentioned his wife made him wonder how much sympathy or understanding he'd get concerning internalized homophobia, rampant drug abuse, and unhealthy sexual practices.

"So", he clicked his pen a few times, "what exactly should this paper be about? 'The human mind and its ability to shape reality - myths, theories, and attempted explanations'? Like if we define what we try to research it'll safe us a lot of effort and work down the road." He wrote that title on one page and scribbled a bit around. After a minute, he leaned back and showed Aurora what he'd written.

1. intro - def. shaping reality? def. lie?
    2. examples of 'magic'
    *goeticism
    *rel.? miracles?
    *???
    3. scient. explanations
    *some
    *fucking
    *expls
    4. conclusion, drawing parallels to our knowledge& those theories
    Health: Willpower: Mana:

Aurora
    Spells
    Striking Looks
    (Riveting)
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Fame
    (Entertainment)
    Madison Cross
    (Sleeper ID)
    Gnosis
    Aurora
    Aurora

Dedicated Magical Tool

Multicolored copper bracelet with intricate loops winding around her right wrist.
    Nimbus

The sweet, fragrant smells of roses mixed with lilacs emanate from her as she casts magic. The scent intensifies, bordering on intoxicating, when Life magic is cast. When Aurora casts Vulgar magic, the scent takes a nasty turn, to the putrid, nauseating odor of a rotting corpse. The stronger the magic, the more those around want to retch at the smell.
    Monthly Spells

Monthly spells done on character sheet.

Pulse of the Living World[POT 6]
    Organic Resilience[POT 6]
    (PrP Treasure Hunt)

Active Spells: 1/6
    [Detect Substance]Bone
    Personal Spells: 2/3
    Vulgar:
    Mana:6/8
    WP:3
    Aurora Scenes

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

“Maybe, but, something has to drive us. I just went far too long sitting back and not making any waves that it just feels like time.” Or maybe events had just changed her that much. It was hard to know.

Spotting his notebook, she pulls her own out of her bag. It was stained with, well, stain and had drops of paint on it as well. A few things were scribbled, her handwriting not the neatest, but hell, she could read it. And that’s all that mattered. “Inner as in our community?” she asks, clarifying, “And I’m guessing outer would be my own work and business influences.” Though she had been in touch with her more famous influence in some time.

Laughing, “Might impress me, if you could dissect it. Cause I’m batting a zero with it.” Jokes the Shaman, “But do we really care about impressing him? I’m more concerned with what Bart will think of it, if the topic we pick will pique his interest.” Fuck the new guy.

Leaning back, she thinks over his idea. After a few moments, “That sounds like it could lead us down all sorts of interesting paths. Some mundane, some more,” a pause, “lively.” Lets go with lively. Leaning back to see the page, she absently nods, “I like how you’ve broken down number three,” another nod, “really scientific.” She jokes lightly, “But in all seriousness, I think it could work. Now, where do we start? Here in the library? Find some books or articles touching on the different points we want?”

3. Likes Aeolus liked this post
    Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Nimbus: Light purple aura and a scent of freshly dug earth after a rain.
    Status (Academics) 1.

PRE

The new guy shows up!
    He's dressed in neutral colors and he gives off a bit of magic to unsees senses. Corn gives a nod to the librarian points to a list in his hand and after a short chat with her he moves inside, holding the list in his hand and starts checking the shelves without noticing the two mages in the back. Before he manages to get any of the books on his list, his phone (on vibration) starts ringing.
    Making sure the librarian is not watching him he checks his phone.
    Oh, Uncle Bart. It is quite empty, I can get away with talking to him if I am not loud.

He picks up the phone and starts talking in a low voice moving towards the back (where Crystal and Aurora are) but doesn't seem to have noticed them as he doesn't face them directly.

"I will check it, uncle. "
    A small pause.
    "Yeap, I know you would read this book to aunty, but really, we do have audiobooks these days. You could allow me to get some for the bookstore you know. No point having a dashing new employee like me if you're not going to present fresh ideas. I could buy you an audiobook for Christmas and see if you like it."
    A small pause and a sigh - the well-known sigh that every son or nephew gives when lectured by older relatives.
    "Yes, uncle Bart." Pause.
    "Yes, uncle." Pause.
    "I will tell my brother, but you know Vincent. He looks for a reason to complain that you won't make his big Christmas event but he will get over it within a few days. He's not a bad fellow" just a temperamental one.

As Corn slowly turns towards the window he spots the two mages and he seems taken by surprise. He gives them a small wave and whispers to his uncle.
    "Uncle, I am in the library, I shouldn't talk on the phone. I will call you later, OK? Bye"

Hanging up, Corn approaches them apologetically and whispers.
    "Sorry, I haven't seen you guys." or sensed your magic, I must become more careful. "I am here on an errand. Fancy finding you here. Should have guessed such places would attract people like us. Is this a place of special importance to you?" It is never good to walk on another mage's sphere of influence with magic on so I hope that's not their Sanctum.

Sibyl Sight cast earlier in the Sanctum to take advantage of the hallow - with a -4 penalty for duration

1 success
    For scene effects, see Minisheet. No monthly rituals at this time.
    Occult 4 because Mysterium is about the knowledge!

Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Walls and the Floor become slightly tilted, there's a sickly sweet and sharp smell in the air. Faintly, the sound chains (and even fainter: the sound of leather) can be heard. More powerful spells make the sounds more pronounced and colors seem to pulsate.
    Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Well, as long as you know why you're doing things." Including stuff she didn't want to talk about, so why bother going down that road. Crystal gave the Shaman an encouraging look anyway. She got this.

He tapped the pen against his head listening to her questions. You could basically see the gears turning and a lightbulb going off somewhere. "That's an interesting angle. I was thinking 'inner' as in 'inside the persons mind' and 'outer' meaning any outside stimulus. But with your interpretation we could expand this outer segment, addressing maybe both angles." He added some asterisks in between the scribbles, writing at the side of the page.
    *adress factors influencing s.o.
    ->personal (ie own mind)
    ->innersoc. (sp?) (from within the bookclub)
    ->outersoc. (from outside the bk)

Crystal humored her jokes, waiting for her to listen to him. Despite all the joking around she could tell he was being serious now, blue eyes open and direct. "Yeah about that. That is some personal shit I'm not willing to just discuss with anyone for shits and giggles or some book club." Did that make them even on the touchy subject front? Probably. A sparkle found it's way into the Mastigos' eyes again. He had no problem with keeping it straight but he hoped she would get the hint the first time - he would rather happily dart around touchy stuff right now. "Besides, Bartram doesn't strike me as the kind of eccentric older gentleman that would be really interested in those things anyway." The smirk and the jab offering an easy way out of the awkwardness.

He watches Aurora think, getting into the whole project at her own pace. She was truly beautiful in the way she discovered this thing, her naivete when it came to academics about to be spoiled by references and footnotes. Or maybe he was a sucker for pretty people and easily distracted. "Trust me, even the lively ones are less exciting than you'd think. Hence," he chuckled and tapped at the ever important point 3 on the list. "We'll have to treat ourselves to some fun in the process. All work and no play, you see?"

Ah, but so far it hasn't been hardly any work. Crystal sighed and closed his eyes for a second. "Yes, we could ask if they have the following book:" he recalled the cover of his paperback laying at home, seeing the ISBN number in perfect clarity. "The Lesser Key of Solomon - ISBN 9780998136400." His hand was scribbling down the number - due to his blindness he went straight over the main body of their thesis. He scanned the first few pages in his memory. Even without really trying at that time he could picture how the page looked and make out the details from there, some things jumping out. And this was before the Mind Magic. "We could look into Huxley and his views on epiphenomenalism - that's mind over matter I think." He opened his eyes again, looking equal parts pre-frustrated and excited. "So yeah, looking for books that go with what we're trying to say - or against that, for that matter." Although, was he getting ahead of himself? "that relies on us actually knowing what we're trying to say. I mean, this awesome scientific sketch needs to be fleshed out a bit more I guess."

It is then that Crystal noticed Corn being around. Figured he'd hang around the library in his free time. He shot Aurora an unspoken question when they already got approached. "Hey, yeah no. We're actually looking into some research stuff.. things. And I guess that's as far as sentimental value goes for me." Another glance - how much did they want to tell Corn at this stage?

Aurora
    Spells
    Striking Looks
    (Riveting)
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Fame
    (Entertainment)
    Madison Cross
    (Sleeper ID)
    Gnosis
    Aurora
    Aurora

Dedicated Magical Tool

Multicolored copper bracelet with intricate loops winding around her right wrist.
    Nimbus

The sweet, fragrant smells of roses mixed with lilacs emanate from her as she casts magic. The scent intensifies, bordering on intoxicating, when Life magic is cast. When Aurora casts Vulgar magic, the scent takes a nasty turn, to the putrid, nauseating odor of a rotting corpse. The stronger the magic, the more those around want to retch at the smell.
    Monthly Spells

(PrP Treasure Hunt)

[Detect Substance]Bone
    Vulgar:
    Aurora Scenes

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

Who the fuck talks on a phone in the library?! She wonders glancing around and seeing Corn.

“No real importance, just getting some work done. And from the sounds of it, so were you.”

A shrug to Crystal, “For the most part, yes.” But usually she just winged everything.

“I think both angles would create for an interesting dynamic. Perhaps we could find a way that one influences the other.” This really wasn’t her strong suit, but she was trying.

A hand was held up, “I get it.” Whatever. “I think he would surprise you. And he isn’t that old.” At least, not to her. But that was different, and she clears her throat, “Anyways, he has a wide variety of interests.” At least he seemed to in her opinion.

“I’m all for fun, it can’t be serious all the time. But I’m also not as into the club scene as I used to be.”
    Things had changed for her.

The names were written down as he said them. She then pulls up the library online and scans what they have, “Seems they have those, so getting them won’t be a problem. And even if it was, there’s more than one library in the city.” Then a nod, “Perhaps with the rough idea, once we get into the books, a more solid thesis will make itself known to us.” It could work.

“Just working out some research ideas.” Closing the notebook. “The whole brainstorming thing.” Clearly not willing to share what they were looking into. “What are you up to?”

Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Status (Academics) 1.

PRE

"Well, don't let me keep you from your work. Would you be up for a quick cup of coffee later, or do you expect your work to take up long? " he asked both of them.

Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

"We could try I think it's a good idea to keep in the back of our heads and when we get there we could see if it inspires us."

Crystal cocked his head a bit at Aurora's defensive gesture. "Let me just properly arrive here before laying bare stuff like this, okay?" He didn't sound defensive. At all.

"Okay, so we'll decide how to reward ourselves for the hard work after its done. No need for clubs to have fun." But first.. he watched the Shaman look for the books and smiled broadly when she got a hit. "Great. Maybe we can also already look for some opinions on psychology. Also, do you have some philosophers and their view of the world. I dimly remember a Greek guy comparing what we see of the world as merely shadows of the real thing cast by a torch in a cave. That sounds like it could fit in there, right? I don't know if it's exactly scientific, but it's an attempt to explain natural phenomenon." And had he paid attention or was able to read about it instead of having to some wannabe philosopher butcher it to get into his pants he'd probably remember which Greek it was.

He didn't cover his notepad - if two gorgeous persons weren't enough to distract Corn from some boring scribbles the man couldn't be helped anyway. "Yeah. Brainstorming. How about you? Research for your paper?" There was absolutely no hint of mockery in the Mastigos' voice. Nuh-uh.

"Coffee sounds great. Frankly, I don't know how long we'll be here - what's your plan here?" He didn't know if Aurora was up for it, but that's something they could discuss when they were alone.

Aurora
    Spells
    Striking Looks
    (Riveting)
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Fame
    (Entertainment)
    Madison Cross
    (Sleeper ID)
    Gnosis
    Aurora
    Aurora

Dedicated Magical Tool

Nimbus

Monthly Spells

(PrP Treasure Hunt)

[Detect Substance]Bone
    Vulgar:
    Aurora Scenes

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

A quick shake of her head, “Not keeping us from our work. Think we have a solid base and idea to work with.” Glancing to Crystal.

Another shrug, “Again, no worries. That shit’s all done when someone is ready, and not before. I’m not the type to pry, if someone wants to share things, they will. If not,” another shrug, “then whatever.” She was pretty laid back about that stuff. Cause she hoped people wouldn’t try to pry into her history.

“If you like beer, I happen to brew my own.” She offers. It tasted pretty good to her, and no one had complained about it yet. “Oh, that would be good to add.” Nodding and making another note on her paper. “I’ve only recently started getting into philosophy, so nothing comes to mind. But I’ll dig a little deeper and find something that would work for our angle. And I honestly don’t think it has to be scientific. A lot of the things that happen in the world are unexplained by science, so I think we could apply such a concept.” Science wasn’t always right and couldn’t always explain everything. Take a look at the magic they each wielded.

“Coffee isn’t something I usually turn down. But we have a rough outline and direction,” she began checking things off, “we have some books to get, and I have some philosophy to dive into. So all and all, I think we have a great start! Certainly, more than I thought we would.” And that was true. Sure, she was academic, but she wasn’t traditional educated. “So if you wanted to take a pause here, get some coffee then setup a time to meet up again for more studying, I’m game. Because by then we should have both looked into some books, made some notes and moved our paper forward somewhat.”

Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Status (Academics) 1.

PRE

Beer brewed by a Master?! Is it normal brew like the cakes I make? Or she uses thaumaturgical enzymes that cannot exist in nature? That was not a question he could turn down. Even if it came down to beer brewed in non-magical ways, it was still home-brewed beer.
    "I would like to try homebrewed beer, certainly." He offered in a friendly tone.

Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

Crystal just nodded. A big part of letting topics drop was actually dropping them instead of talking about dropping them.

"Now you're talking! Making your own beer, that's impressive. Do you have a proper brewery or is it the bathtub-moonshine kind of beer?" The topic at hand was forgotten for a moment as the welcome distraction (an alcoholic one to boot!) occupied Crystal's focus.

He snapped out of it when he thought Aurora expected a reaction. "Mhm, good point." He leaned back his head and actually thought about the things she just said. "I mean, you're right. It doesn't have to be scientific - maybe science could be used as a counterpoint only, or as another equally valid 'philosophical' model to explain things." All work and no play...

Luckily the Shaman might have been able to straight up read his mind. "Yeah, totally. We've been at it for hours, I think. It's break time! You did great, you might be a natural." The last remark was spiced up by a wink and a smile. He looked at Corn, gauging his reaction to being the least wordy one in a conversation once. Yeah they were impressive academics, all right - that that!

Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread