Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

(2011) Near the Chess table

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Nov 1, 2020 : (2011) Formal Court
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
    Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

Educated, scholarly, lawyer, scientist.
    Jack's outward demeanor and tone are a baseline of respectful and calculated.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Good to hear," he replied with a smile. Perhaps it wasn't as bad of a train wreck as he had envisioned.

He looked towards Hazelton as she complimented the Judex's mastery of culture, "I would be willing to take you up on that offer." His hand flicked off to the side, "It is hard to turn down a night with good company and a sublime show."

He waves a hand dismissively at the Savage's apology, "No need to apologize Mister Smith. It isn't as if I had made myself entirely available as of late." He grins as he adds, "But you've caught me this evening." He glanced to the chess table and then back to JC, "Do you play?"

Blood Hunt:

2. Likes pisces, liked this post

Attribute (Presence)
    (Quiet listener)
    Aspect of the Predator
    Mask of Tranquility
    JC Smith

Cacophony Whisperer

PRE

“I have heard and hope to speak with Archon Twist soon.” In fact, if he hadn’t spoken with the Haunt before the Daeva’s arrival he would likely be talking to her and not having to feel like there was a snake’s tongue tickling the inside of his ear about artistic culture when he was talking in more general terms.

He reminded himself not to judge her harshly. It was (probably) just the Nosferatu Curse.

“And heard her theater puts on amazing acrobatic and other performances. It’d be a pleasure, and an honor to join you, Priscus Hazelton.”

He nodded at the Priscus’ other words and felt her eyes on him. Studying as she had done since he first arrived. When able to push aside her tone, he’d have to say it was her defining feature for him. “True, especially when speaking holds as many risks as it does. Still, if all you do is listen and keep silent you’re likely to miss opportunities to make connections that would otherwise pass you by. Eventually you have to step into the arena.”

JC’s brow furrowed slightly when Durant mentioned not hearing from Quilz. Yes the doors were closed but he couldn’t help but wonder if she knew something more. Or had done something to the Mehket. And if he shouldn’t claw out her eyes for her crimes. Smith’s hand clenched and relaxed, keeping the Beast at bay. And returned her smile.

“I’m told it gets easier with practice,” he replied, “I can only hope that’s true.” He had all the time in the world to practice now after all.

He nodded slightly to Jack’s question “A little, though not lately.” He knew the rules at least. He’d ever been that good and the Embrace had done nothing to improve his game but at least he knew the rules.
    Presence (Quiet Listener) 1 / BP1 / Mask of Tranquility

4. Likes liked this post
    Seneschal, Baroness Notary, Priscus of Nosferatu
    City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Obfuscate 2 Mask of Tranquility
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

Nosferatu curse: A voice that withered like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise

NOS
    PRE

Jennifer was not surprised at Madame Durant’s assertion. The way he had fled Court had told her a lot about the Kindred. A pity that it derailed her plans somewhat.
    “Domain security measures?” Dark eyes ticked to the Mekhet. She knew what she had been working on regarding securing the network as a Nosferatu task. That was when her other Nosferatu were men who knew their way around technology but had no other ambition. She was curious what this new Kindred would like to discuss.
    “Yes, we shall have to schedule a meeting, Madame Quinn.” Jennifer agreed. “I shall check my calendar.”

Her eyes tick towards the Mekhet a moment before moving conversationally to the other conversationalists, Mr. Smith and Jack. She was curious how the two Mekhet would sort the new opening.
    Jennifer inclines her head to Jack and then to Mr. Smith.
    “Then it’s a date.” She replied lightly as her serpentine voice allowed.
    Nosferatu Curse: Jennifer's voice withers like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise.

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

+1
    SL
    PRE

Quinn nodded emphatically to Jennifer Hazelton. "I am greatly looking forward to doing some work together, Lady Notary Hazelton. Thank you for sparing your time for me. I promise it will be fruitful meeting." She inclined her head respectfully to her Ladyship.

Quinn watched JC struggle and frankly could sympathize. Formal gatherings were tough, and it seemed especially on him. "I am sure that is true, Mr. Smith. Keep faith." She winked at him with a knowing smile.

Looking at three of them she took a step back. "I will excuse myself now. I have been waiting to speak with my cousin, Maeve. It was lovely to meet you both Mister Jack, and Mr. Smith." She paused a beat before moving to her Ladyship. "I look forward to more evenings in your esteemed company Lady Notary Hazelton."

With that she moved to speak with Mable Wood and Maeve.

Exit Scene

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"I suppose we should arrive in our Sunday best?" the Lord seemingly jested to Hazelton.

He nodded to the Mekhet's departure to the other side of the chess table, "Likewise," before shifting his gaze to JC, "So, Mister Smith..." his voice lingered as he summoned his attention, "What would you say is the most important thing someone should know about you?" The Lord had been in attendance for the more basic questions over the months: what brings him to Sacramento, what skills he had and so on. This was a question on a more personal level. What did the Savage think of himself?

Blood Hunt:

Attribute (Presence)
    (Quiet listener)
    Aspect of the Predator
    Mask of Tranquility
    JC Smith

Cacophony Whisperer

PRE

Jennifer didn’t reply except to confirm a theater date. Nothing to the do with his reply to her statement. Though maybe that was the point.

JC watched Quinn leave, thinking this would be the perfect time to strike from behind. With effort he turned attention back to the two Kindered closer to him.

The joke of Sunday best might be directed at him. Despite that idea that Kindred were divorced from mortal needs and thus money, not having any still could still hamper social standing.

JC gave a small smile, sliding at least slightly into more familiar territory with the Lord’s question. “It would depend on what the person considers important.” He studies Jack for a few seconds.
    2 successes

“Personally, I try to put emphasis on my perseverance." Emphasize that which you want to embody after all. "How about you?" he asked not only the Ventrue but the serpentine Haunt.

City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

Nosferatu curse: A voice that withered like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise

NOS
    PRE

Jennifer nods to Quinn Durant with a "Be well until we meet again" as the Mekhet relocates. It is good to know one's Family well. Jennifer was pleased to have a meeting with Madame Quinn scheduled as it were, they would have a lot to talk about. Her plans with Horatio were gone, and Quinn was very different than the Dragon who had departed Sacramento.

The Nosferatu glances to Jack, smiling slightly at the jest. "I will have to tailor my ensemble to the event."
    She noted with an appreciative look to Mr. Jack's own ensemble. She could have sworn that it has changed in recent nights. He has always dressed well, as befitting a man sponsored by the Lady Prince to the First Estate.
    A more modern look would be fitting for the theatre and most of her formal wear was tailored towards fashions in the past with layers of silk or the like. She did love her full skirts, yet it wouldn't do in theatre. She enjoyed attracting less attention when moving with the Kine, becoming more camouflaged.

"I have been in talks with the tailor on the gift that you bestowed at the meeting of the First Estate." She informs Jack. "I thank you once more. That shall be perfect."

She turns to Mr. Smith as Jack makes a polite inquiry. The brunette listened to the answer with some interest. She has not taken the remark of Jack as a dig with Mr. Smith's attire, and there is no meanness or judgement in her brown eyes. She rather appreciated that Kindred were different as variations of birds between one another.

"Perseverance is a vital quality to hone."
    She agrees with the Gangrel. "Some of the young become too enamored with passions, and forget that we could have time to indulge in passions. If we were clever and fastidious in looking after our Danse. "
    The words remind her of a Nosferatu who had been respected and the Whose your Priscus Formal Court of years gone by. She had been a younger Priscus all those years ago, and she had always been mindful to listen to her elders.
    "A Nosferatu, who dwelled here in Sacramento during my first visit here some nine or ten years ago, counseled his Family to take that to heart. I have never forgotten it."

​No reason to bring up what happened later.
    Nosferatu Curse: Jennifer's voice withers like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise.

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"I suppose phrasing is important," he conceded to JC's point, "The intent of the question is not so much to what someone in specific should know. I want to know what you find most important about yourself. That thing that you feel defines you."

Perseverance was it? "So the most important thing someone should know about you is that you persevere?" He smiled as he considered the answer, "That is interesting, since mettle has been a bit of a hot topic as of late. Kindred come and go, but plenty seem to tuck tail at the slightest missteps, as if there is no path of redemption for iotas of missed decorum or other setbacks." He waves his hand dismissively, "Off to some other city where they can hope to live and act in perfection."

He passes a friendly grin to the savage, "I certain hope you live up to the expectation then." He considers the question being flipped back to him, "I know a little bit about a lot of things. If you need some input on an unfamiliar subject you can give me a call. More often than not I should have something to contribute to the discussion." Always leaving room for fallacy.

I'm not really sure what the empathy roll is for in the context of the post. You have a question logged in the roll, but there's nothing Jack had stated in the conversation prior to the post that you could glean the answer from with empathy. You wouldn't be able to read his mind to get that answer, but if there's something about this post you wanted to dig further into from the "perspective or motive" aspect then Empathy could help with that. Just let me know, I didn't want to seem like I was ignoring a roll and it didn't seem relevant to your response since JC answered with perseverance.

Blood Hunt:

Attribute (Presence)
    (Quiet listener)
    Aspect of the Predator
    Mask of Tranquility
    JC Smith

Cacophony Whisperer

PRE

Passion. He could remember when he’d had that. However, she was right. You had to learn to live your life without it first. To be able to keep going despite… everything.

He smiled a little sadly and nodded in agreement. “He sounds wise. I wish I could have met him. Though it sounds like you've learned much from them.”

Jack’s comment he disagreed with more. Or maybe that it just hit a nerve a bit given the Gangrel’s own past actions. Or maybe he was referring to Horatio.

JC return the friendly smile “I certainly hope so too. And I will definitely keep you in mind if I should come across anything I am unfamiliar with.” Though given how broad a topic that could be, probably not every time.

Sorry for not being clearer. The roll’s to check for approval of JC’s answer.

12. Bump "Bump" this post
    City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

NOS
    PRE

The comment that Mr. Jack had made earlier surfaced in Jennifer's mind :'its not as though I made myself entirely available of late'. She glanced to Jack, curious if he would be making himself more available now that he was Priscus of his clan. She wasn't open to discussing it in front of the whole assembly of kindred and made a note to drop him a note another night.
    Jennifer glanced to Maeve when an interesting comment that the Mekhet made caught her ear. She studied Quinn and Mable for their reactions. Mable earned a glance for a moment.

" No one is perfect." She replies to Jack on his comment regarding kindred fleeing to areas where no one knew of their mistake.

" I made an embarrassing mistake when speaking with his Grace, Prince Asa Clarke. My reputation was rightfully mud for a short while...it felt like ages. I stuck it out, because proving that one has maturity and a level headed nature matters to me...
    You are correct, we attract kindred who seem comfortable leaving soon after arriving. Although in Mr. Quilz's case, I think it to the betterment of the Domain."

No longer did she worry that Dirt Nap's reputation would suffer by being associated with Quilz.

She inclined her head to Mr. Smith.
    " Yes, he was wise. I know that I took the lesson to heart."

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread