(John Campbell)
    Rigid Mask
    Trained Observer
    Composure
    (Placid)
    Perfect Stillness
    James Turner

Mien
    Skin pulled back tight against his frame and a ghostly white, eyes and mouth sucking and empty pits that appear to be without end. His shadow a deep black that seems to be driving the body instead of the other way around.

PRE

Whisperwisp

It was a squat but wide little ranch house, fake stacked stone as the siding, gray garage door on the attached garage to match the shade of the stones. They'd be allowed to park in the garage if they so chose, he’d open the door for them otherwise they’d be let into the domicile. Attached garage leading to a small entrance way to leave shoes, hang coats, and otherwise leave the outside world behind.

Inside the next room was the kitchen. Black counters, white cupboards, all matching the chess board tiles on the floor. The counters were almost entirely barren except for the toaster, coffee pot, and tea kettle resting in one corner. It was almost pristinely clean. Over the counter that served as a half-walled barrier to the next room was the visible dining room.

A soft tone drifted from the connecting room, music dancing along the air into the well-lit dining room. The table was clearly second hand judging by the dings on the sides and scratches along the top, the chandelier style light hanging above the center of the table illuminating the table setting. Nothing too fancy, not on his budget just a couple of pizzas, a couple of two liters, plus whatever was in his liquor cabinet.

They'd been invited after the Autumn Equinox for a gathering of the Court. Business aside they'd all have to get to know one another since they'd be working together.
    Aeolus Gerrit Shenanigans Cassandra Reeding

Goes by the name: John

2. Likes Shenanigans liked this post

Cassandra Moore
    Presence
    (Charismatic)
    Striking Looks
    (Radiant)
    Intelligence
    (Keen)
    Kith Blessing
    (Prismatic Heart)
    Status
    (Entertainment)
    Cassandra Reeding

Eyes like cut, polished emeralds, waist-length scarlet hair, and glowing prismatic skin that seems to react to her emotional state, however what they mean is anyone's guess.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Wyrd
    •••
    Polychromatic Artist

Finally, she is going to spend some time with people like her. Well, at least, that was her thought. So far, she'd spent time with almost exclusively the Spring Courtiers, which... actually, perhaps that wasn't too far off from how things used to be once upon a time.

Either way, Cassandra dresses for the occasion in a boho, celtic-inspired, red dress. Her long, scarlet hair is brushed out and worn down, framing her face, which she has painted with a very light amount of makeup. Just mascara for her eyelashes and a her usual painted red lips.

When she greets John at the door, she gives him a smile and a wave. There is always something nice about being around someone of your own court, the way your mantles seem to mingle together instead of against. With it just being the two of them at the moment, she's able to take better notice of the strength of his mantle and those nagging whispers of memories again. She hadn't realized it was coming from him. Her own mantle, not being too overwhelmed, once more gives off that unique feeling of the touch of sunlight.

"Hey, John. Thanks for hosting. I brought a little treat." The Polychromatic holds up a little pyrex container with a freshly baked lemon poppy seed loaf, one of her favorite things to bake. Her body language and expression might indicate that she is happy, but with the way her skin refracts constantly changing colors, who honestly knew?

She walks inside and follows the Wisp through his little ranch house to the dining room. So clean compared to my apartment. And a house. I wonder if I'll ever actually decide to do that whole 'house' thing. The music catches her ears, "What do you have playing?" She asks, setting the pyrex down on the table with the pizza and drinks.

4. Likes Shane liked this post

John Campbell
    New Identity
    (John Campbell)
    Rigid Mask
    Trained Observer
    Composure
    (Placid)
    Perfect Stillness
    James Turner

Mien
    Skin pulled back tight against his frame and a ghostly white, eyes and mouth sucking and empty pits that appear to be without end. His shadow a deep black that seems to be driving the body instead of the other way around.

PRE

Whisperwisp

The Spring Court was filled with so much beauty it was surprising she wasn't counted among them. Eye Catching, Charming, cheerful, at least for a winter. All of which were surprising qualities, at least to him but he'd been going for so long on his own it was getting harder to remember. Her wave returned, a smile attempted as he stepped out so she could step in.

"That's, uh, a nice dress." Smile still there, an attempt made at friendly pleasantries. His fingers rubbing together, bouncing and twitching in their idleness. Her mantle almost warming as they stood together, like being alone but under the direct light of the sun a bastion of almost warmth amongst the cold that nipped at your extremities. Comforting in its own right.

"I'd say it's not a big deal but..." the rest left unsaid. "I figure If I can't trust my fellow Onyx I'm in much bigger trouble. Thank you, you didn't have to bring anything but I appreciate it." It will definitely get eaten.

2 successes

She was hard to read for most, but James' time in Arcadia had him reading Fair Folk and their retinue so he knew not to be distracted by the colors, focus on posture, where the feet are pointing, see where the muscles are tensed where the pauses are in the words. All internal calculus that happened between the beat of a heart. He would try and foster that feeling and make her welcome.

He took the container from her and then sat it on the counter across from the table, reaching to a drawer on the right small metal clinking heard as he pulled his hand out of the drawer slowly and set the butter knife next to the container. When she asked about the music his smile widened, if it been an actual smile before was up for debate but the question had definitely elicited a positive response.

"Oh..." He stepped into the next room, the living room. It wasn't much there was a futon that folded out to a bed for a couch, a small second hand coffee table with mug stains dotting it just in front of it. Then there was a small, by modern measures, flat screen TV just resting on a milk crate. To the right of the futon was where the music was coming from, a two by two of milk crates filled with vinyl records with a record player resting on top of it slowly spinning out the soft tunes of The Cure currently. Speakers flanking the milk crates slowly reverberating as the music was currently turned down. Judging by the nicotine smell that clung to the air this was definitely a room that saw a lot of use.

"You can feel free to browse my collection and pick another if you want. It's, uh, not THAT varied as a warning. There's a couple good used record stores downtown I try and pick through once a week, cheapest way to pick up actual records."

Cassandra Moore
    Presence
    (Charismatic)
    Striking Looks
    (Radiant)
    Intelligence
    (Keen)
    Kith Blessing
    (Prismatic Heart)
    Status
    (Entertainment)
    Cassandra Reeding

Eyes like cut, polished emeralds, waist-length scarlet hair, and glowing prismatic skin that seems to react to her emotional state, however what they mean is anyone's guess.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Wyrd
    •••
    Polychromatic Artist

John can tell that she is in a cheerful mood and genuinely happy to see him, though there is something that seems to be nagging at her and constantly pulling at her mind. That nagging, he can tell, isn't anything to do with him, but rather something that likely has been nagging her for much longer than just the last 24 hours.

"Oh, thank you. It is no problem. I rather enjoy baking. Haven't had people to bake for people in a few months, so it makes me happy to do so," Happens when you move across the country, away from everyone you've ever known. Not that that was a bad thing. Moving was the best decision she'd probably ever made. She runs her fingers through her long, scarlet hair, a little bit of a nervous habit for her at times, though she is less nervous and more hoping that she continues to foster some positive relationships. Perhaps that is nervousness in itself.

"I'll be honest, I've been surprised by how careful the Changelings of this Freehold are with their addresses. Surprisingly Winter-like. Though, we are a small bunch; it makes sense to be even more cautious. Still, perhaps next time we have a little get together, I'll host. My apartment isn't much, but it can certainly host a few Winter Courtiers having a good time."

She gives him another smile, following him into his living room area as he talks about what he has playing and the record shop he visits to add to his collection. Oh, that sounds like a place to check out at some point.

She focuses on the sounds of the music for a long moment, "The Cure is fine. Grew up listening to them actually," there is something in her emerald eyes as she listens, humming along a little bit with the melody. I must have been asleep for days and moving lips to breathe her name. I opened up my eyes and found myself alone... She let's out a slow breath at that line. Oddly coincidental considering the other night and her nightmare.

"Though I would be more curious to know more about the music you listen to. I've always thought that people's taste in music tells you more about them than most words they could use to describe themselves." She says, leaning up against one of the walls in a casual manner, her arms crossed in a manner that implies her interest in his answer.

New Identity
    (Gerrit Jameson)
    Gerrit

Mien:
    Leathery scars, bruises and scaly scabs cover the whole hairless body. There is a certain symmetry to the disfigurements, the color of the visible skin ranging from pale pink to purple and dark red. Lately patches of dark blue and black - frostbite - have appeared on his skin and some of the scabs have frozen over and crystalized.
    His right hand shows a copper-coloured, wilted and flaky scar, engulfing most of his palm and the inside of his wrist. Next to frostbite and bruised scars it adds a third layer of wounds bore by the Ogre.

Mantle:
    Contrast seem to grow slightly more stark around Gerrit, the crisp clearness of a winter morning. Sometimes the sound of ice forming or breaking can be heard in a short, brisk snap. When using Contracts a subtle, biting cold can be felt around Gerrit - pins and needles prick both the Onyx and those close to him.

Crown:
    Solid, thick panes of clear ice symmetrically arranged around his head with fern frost at the base.
    Active Pledges

Motley Pledge

Only a result of 10 on a die is considered a success. Should a given die result in no successes, the failure is considered to be a dramatic failure, though the oathbreaker may spend a point of willpower to negate this, making it a regular failure.
    -Until Oct 5th.

PRE

Stonebones Snowskin

Gerrit stood before the house, double checking the address he was given. He walked the way here, partly to get a feel for the surroundings and partly to sort his thoughts and expectations. Finally he would be able to really talk to the local Winter Courtiers alone, get their impressions of the city.

He wore blue jeans and a dark blue knitted pullover under his windbreaker. It wasn't much, but he'd be surprised if the occasion called for formal attire.

He knocked on door, and once it's been opened he offered his hand to the host. "Hello, thank you for having me." Entering, he kept on his coat for the moment, looking around without clear intent when he saw Cassandra. He gave her a slight smile and a wave - maybe it's just her looks, but Gerrit now felt severely underdressed. "Hello Cassandra. How are you?"

John Campbell
    New Identity
    (John Campbell)
    Rigid Mask
    Trained Observer
    Composure
    (Placid)
    Perfect Stillness
    James Turner

Mien

PRE

Whisperwisp

He'd stayed standing near the coffee table as they talked knowing something was bothering her but not prying, not yet at least. He knew things like that were something you eased into once a bridge was built, not something you just jump into except if the other person was in immediate distress.

"It's been awhile since I've had anything freshly baked, so it's appreciated." A small chuckle as she talks about how close vested they are about their addresses. "Closed about that, awfully loose with their tongues at time. Been in more than one argument where I was the buzz kill pointing out that they were saying a little too much too openly." A shrug. remembering Rhodes' trying to deflect blame back at him for making it a deal. Bad behavior needed pointed out and corrected, especially in the moment. Could he have done it more tactfully, probably, but James was no Fairest, he didn't have the gift they did.

"Sounds good, yea I grew up listening to them too. I got The Cure, siouxsie and the banshees, New Order, Joy Division, The Church, Echo and the Bunnymen..." he trailed off as she made her last statement and he nodded his agreement. "Yea I agree, it's a good way to get to know someone so. Oh..."

He moved over to the record player, moved the needle off of it and re-sleeved it before crouching down. "Cure goes in the C's, D,E..." His fingers flipping through records before pulling one out. Gerrit's knock on the door just as he grabbed it. "One Sec!" He shouted to the door so he could be heard. Fingers gently staying on the rim of the vinyl, grabbing the record brush next to it to make sure there was no dust on it before setting the needle down and letting the song play.

He'd leave Cassandra with the music as he went to the door and answered it. He offered Gerrit a carbon copy of the smile Cassandra had received when she arrived. A muted half thing, he stepped away from the door swinging it open so he could step in. James himself was wearing nothing more than black slacks and a black t-shirt. "Not a problem at all, best we got together get to know each other at least." Leading Gerrit to the Living Room where their other courtier was at the moment.

He'd let the current song finish before stepping over the stereo and turning the volume down make the music softer so they could more easily talk over it. "So, Uh, I guess I'll start. So I'm John. I've not been and really am not known for being the most diplomatic member here. I'm probably known for being really good at pissing people off.

"Spring Queen got mad at me cause I pointed out her courtiers were having a spat in public, was told to stay out of her business. Got a little more angry when I pointed out one of her courtiers was high on cocaine in public, again, told it wasn't my business even though they weren't doing anything about a girl high off her tits spouting shit about dragons.

"Side note, Funderland apparently used to be home to a dragon. Seraphina hasn't stayed mad at me, and I haven't dug deeper into it, sometimes you have to show trust to get trust." He waved around to his home to demonstrate that point. "Making her mad made the Autumn King mad, I also don't think he wanted involved in that situation but heavy is the crown and all that.

"That's the short version. So. I'm not exactly everyone's best friend, I have more but suffice it to say my diplomatic relations aren't high at the moment. About me specifically? I, uh, well I spent my time over there in their courts. I can see the truth in just about anything, it's hard to hide lies and feelings from me. I'm not the stealthiest, I'm not great in a fight, but I recently discovered I'm pretty good in dreams so I think I'm gonna start trying to focus on that for a bit.

"Any questions?" He said, his eyes hadn't met any of their gazes as he talked about himself and his past. "Actually one second." He slipped back to the kitchen. "Anyone want a drink?" He said as the clinking of glasses pushed into the other room. "Make yourselves comfortable by the way." He'd return with any drinks they'd ask for and one for himself which he took a sip of, just trying to get more comfortable.

Cassandra Moore
    Presence
    (Charismatic)
    Striking Looks
    (Radiant)
    Intelligence
    (Keen)
    Kith Blessing
    (Prismatic Heart)
    Status
    (Entertainment)
    Cassandra Reeding

+1
    SL
    PRE

Wyrd
    •••
    Polychromatic Artist

"God, am I familiar with having to point out poor behavior. Someone has to do it. Though, we are Winters - perpetually called the buzzkills, even when we are just trying to protect the Freehold," her mind tugs to more than a few sour memories in that moment, though she doesn't dwell. She said what she needed to say - it's what we do. "There is a reason a Lord of the Inhospitable Chamber exists as an important position within our court."

When he speaks on his music preferences, she smiles and nods, familiar with most of the names he mentions. "Oh, quality choices in music. I'm really into-" When the knock comes to the door, she jumps just a tiny bit. Don't get too relaxed. As John leaves her there to ponder the music, she doesn't miss the fact that the music he plays seems to have a similar theme to them. Interesting...

When Gerrit enters, Cassandra nods, smiling in a polite manner, "I am well, Gerrit. Thank you for asking. How are you?"

There is perhaps a part of her that was rather enjoying those moments getting to know John alone. They seemed to share a similar humor and some interests, but this was a Winter gathering and there were more than just the two of them. Stop it, she thinks to herself. Don't let your lonely heart start feeding your brain ideas.

"Wait... who was high in public?" Contrary to popular belief, something Winter and Spring held very in common was their love of gossip. Springs love it for getting to the hearts of people's desires, but for a Winter, gossip was direct insight into people and politics. It's intrigue. She then pauses, "Home to a... an actual Dragon? Not just some powerful Draconic? Interesting. I definitely want to know more on that."

"Oh, I'll take a mixed whatever you've got with some soda," she says with a smile and thanks John when he hands her her drink, "But, I guess if we are going on about our abilities and backgrounds, I'll go next," the Polychromatic says, straightening up a little bit, "I'm Cassandra. Just arrived from the Baltimore Freehold over on the East Coast in Maryland. I'm a performer with the symphony, but I'm also someone who works heavily in politics, information gathering, diplomatic relations and the like. I was a Flowing Page for my last freehold, but more specifically, I was the court go between for the Onyx Thane, representing Winter's interests within the other courts."

She thinks for a moment on what else to add, "I'm not particularly good in a battle. I'm more of a support person, but I'm working on reworking my skills towards Reflections, if you catch my drift. Intel is power and foreknowledge is protection." She takes a long sip of her drink and looks around, as if to see if they had any questions, though more looking toward Gerrit to talk on his strengths if he wishes.

New Identity
    (Gerrit Jameson)
    Gerrit

Mien:
    Leathery scars, bruises and scaly scabs cover the whole hairless body. There is a certain symmetry to the disfigurements, the color of the visible skin ranging from pale pink to purple and dark red. Lately patches of dark blue and black - frostbite - have appeared on his skin and some of the scabs have frozen over and crystalized.
    His right hand shows a copper-coloured, wilted and flaky scar, engulfing most of his palm and the inside of his wrist. Next to frostbite and bruised scars it adds a third layer of wounds bore by the Ogre.

Mantle:
    Contrast seem to grow slightly more stark around Gerrit, the crisp clearness of a winter morning. Sometimes the sound of ice forming or breaking can be heard in a short, brisk snap. When using Contracts a subtle, biting cold can be felt around Gerrit - pins and needles prick both the Onyx and those close to him.

Crown:
    Solid, thick panes of clear ice symmetrically arranged around his head with fern frost at the base.
    Active Pledges

Motley Pledge

Only a result of 10 on a die is considered a success. Should a given die result in no successes, the failure is considered to be a dramatic failure, though the oathbreaker may spend a point of willpower to negate this, making it a regular failure.
    -Until Oct 5th.

PRE

Stonebones Snowskin

Gerrit only caught a few of the lyrics then he entered, but it startled him a bit. Seems like the coincidences just add up since I've come here... Or I'm just too self-centered for my own good.
    He finished his initial small-talk with Cassandra before things got more to the point. "Thanks, I'm fine as well. The overwhelming feeling of being new around here is beginning to fade a bit."

Then he mostly just listened. He appreciated the directness and openness of John. Maybe that's it's own kind of diplomacy all right. Still, tensions with the Spring Court (which seemed to boast the greatest numbers among local Lost)? Even if it seemed justified, Gerrit was glad that things cooled down a bit. On the Darkling's invitation he sat down on the futon - although he didn't get too comfortable yet. "Water is fine, thanks."

He was glad that the Fairest asked the questions he was going to ask. This Freehold sure had some history.
    Cassandra's turn prompted some raised eyebrows from the Ogre. A member of the symphony? Impressive. And the earlier involvement with the Spring Court made sense with her head-turning looks.

When it was his turn he thought for a moment. "I'm Gerrit. I used to be a firefighter, so I'd say I'm decently strong. Although I prefer not to fight." He shrugged, partly to deter further questions on that topic, partly to comment on the irony of his Seeming. "I am decently stealthy and can work my way around a first aid kit. And if you've got questions about plants or flowers, chances are I'm your man." He paused.
    "So, what do we make of this?"

John Campbell
    New Identity
    (John Campbell)
    Rigid Mask
    Trained Observer
    Composure
    (Placid)
    Perfect Stillness
    James Turner

Mien

PRE

Whisperwisp

He'd bring out the drinks for them sitting them on the table, no point for a coaster since the table was already spotted with rings. Gerrit got his water, no ice since John didn't want to presume and Cassandra got a rum and coke. Also no ice since the soda was already cold. He then stood across from them, entirely still. Eerily still as they spoke, no twitching of a muscle, no fidgeting, just the occasional blink. Like he'd been put on pause as they spoke.

"Coco, Yamiyo's ex-fling, was high when she first met most of us. I'm a social worker, I actually do AA, NA and other addiction related services so it was providence that I happened to be there. She definitely has issues and I can help her work through them but I think she went to lay low for a bit. You might see her around again. drug use aside I appreciate her direct approach to things.

"Queen Seraphina was there when it was dispatched I believe, the rumours I've heard are piece meal and patchwork. Funderland was its home, it was a problem, Freehold got rid of the problem and took its home to make it what you see today. Long and short of it from what I know, which admittedly isn't much."

A break to take a drink for confidence and lubrication to continue talking.

"As you can see I'm fairly to the point. I'm the most honest member of our court I've met. I don't hide things unless they need be hid, not that I'm not capable of it. One of the things I picked up from a Hob is a gift to be able to separate truth from lies but only if I'm honest in turn.

"If you hear my voice but don't see me don't be alarmed it's one of the gifts..." the word spit out like a curse, venom in his voice to break up the steady, low tone in which he spoke "...I was given." He nodded when Gerrit said he but didn't like to fight. None of them chose what they were made into, this wasn't their choice. He understood what the Ogre meant and felt no need to press at all.

"That's very useful Gerrit, I don't think we have anyone with those skills currently. At best I think Sonnie has a goblin fruit garden from the amount I see on her. It'll be helpful to have some in our stockpile too. I have a means of harvesting glamour and if you need I can bring you but you'll have to be sensitive and understanding." A small frown on his lips, there was some guilt about feeding on the emotions of the people he was supposed to be helping.

"Think it's better that it's more than just me now Gerrit. I'm kind of a moralizing prick, I try and give everyone a fair shake." Even me, darling, does that mean you'll finally forgive me.

"Anything Else? Feel free to ask me anything about anything, I'll answer to the best of my ability." Another drink, already half gone now.

New Identity
    (Gerrit Jameson)
    Gerrit

Mien:

Mantle:

Crown:
    Active Pledges

Motley Pledge

-Until Oct 5th.

PRE

Stonebones Snowskin

Huh. If John was actually telling the truth, that would make him the most trustful person around. Although, when it came to the Fae lying and not telling the truth were two entirely different matters. Nevertheless, Gerrit felt actually better about trusting the Darkling, unnerving as he may seem. Then again, some would say I'm unnerving, so...

"You're right, it's better not to be alone. If I remember correctly, Cassandra was also quite new - so that means you've been representing Winter alone all this time? And speaking of representation - does that mean you're the Winter Monarch?"

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last
Closed Thread