(Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)
    First thing you will notice about Ale is the abundance of her tattoos. They go from her face all the way to her feet, and not much is left bare. The second thing? Her strong Italian accent.

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes
     -2 Vitae for Blush of Life and Drink, 
      ExitScene

+1
    SL
    PRE

Leaning back, she thinks, absently sipping her drink. “Our society has fixed image of what someone in my position is like. Past experience in different cities may have tainted expectations. Some have seen me having to,” a pause, “enforce company policy. And perhaps that has fed into them not wanting to be open. It could also stem from me withdrawing for some time and not being approachable. Maybe a mixture of both. And not many see me outside the office.” She was trying though to be more approachable. Be more friendly.

“Well, who knows, maybe the opportunity will make itself available here. I’ve found the city to be more accepting than most.” As to the comment about the people in their business, she laughed, “Isn’t that the truth. We’ve learned to guard and be cautious. Not always a bad thing, but I’ve learned it puts you in a difficult situation.” Alone. “That’s a, different way to put it.” But she got it, kind of. “But I have found it interesting how our business changes the way we view things. Meaning the things we’ve seen or the things we’ve witnessed.” Or done. “What was once unacceptable is not accepted and praised. Funny how it works out.”

A lazy shrug, “One doesn’t have to be a scholar to see the value in learning from others. No one knows everything, and those who say they do, are idiots. I’ve taken a lot of what I’ve learned over the years and applied it to how I do things. But I’m not surprised you are,” alight chuckle, “but I’m never one to fit a stereotype.” A wink and smirk. “Between my position and family, it goes with the territory.” And she didn’t sound offended at all.

Chuckling, “Have to say, I wasn’t expecting to go out tonight and have such deep and thoughtful conversation. Been refreshing.”
    Alessandra Antinori │BP 6│Strong Italian Accent

Attribute (Presence)
    (Quiet listener)
    Aspect of the Predator
    Mask of Tranquility
    JC Smith

Cacophony Whisperer

PRE

JC could imagine Alessandra killing someone easily enough. He could imagine her growing claws and slicing open his neck from across the table right now in fact. The anxiety hit a bit hard with that and he found himself having to take measured breaths to calm it. He hated that feeling and even more that he would have to spend the rest of his life with it. Eventually he was able to bring his attention back to what she was saying rather than his own mental fears.

“I guess I’ve been lucky so far in that way.” He hadn’t killed anyone, either deliberately or accidentally. “Though I wouldn’t say that the shift is in perception or morals is unique. Cognitive dissonance and biases lead to justification. Defense mechanisms. The greater the dissonance the stronger the reaction. And we can be pretty far out there sometimes,” In that at least, vampires still seemed human enough “But you can see similar reactions to other high stress environments. Or even less stressful ones. It’s just part of how the brain works.” It was an interesting way to think of the Beast. Another (stronger) bias that influenced behavior.

“No,” he admitted when it came to the value of learning from others “But younger people do tend to be dismissed more often than not.” Especially by the Invictus. “Again, the fear that showing you don’t know everything might be perceived as weak.” As true in office politics as it was in Kindered. “I’m glad you don’t see it that way.”

JC felt like maybe he should apologize at first. Again, like he’d interpreted her feeding. “Can’t say I was expecting it either,” he said instead. Meeting the Prince in a dive bar and talk (mostly) honestly had not been what he had come here to do.
    Presence (Quiet Listener) 1 / BP1 / Mask of Tranquility

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)
    First thing you will notice about Ale is the abundance of her tattoos. They go from her face all the way to her feet, and not much is left bare. The second thing? Her strong Italian accent.

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes
      ExitScene

+1
    SL
    PRE

There was clear interest on her inked face as she listened. “I can see the truth in what you say, I just haven’t really put a lot of thought into it to be honest. But I do wonder if such biases can be overcome with the right,” a pause, “trying to find the right word,” a chuckle, “um, information? Or maybe just the chance to see someone in a different environment?” or was she destine to always be subject of bias?

“Well, I used to. Years on my own had me believing I knew the right way and knew the answers. Coming here and settling down, then taking over security, forced me to learn and open my eyes. So I’ve tried to take a step back and listen to those younger than I am. Sometimes the old ways of doing things, are not the correct way. And I think you’ll see quite a few here are willing to take the time with younger, newer people.” So long as it was done with respect. It was something that could open doors.

Laughing, “It’s the little surprises that make the nights interesting. We seem to get stuck in doing the same thing over and over. So when someone shakes it up a bit, it’s always a good thing.” Sometimes. “So any hobbies?” small talk was clearly not a strong suit for the Savage. But, she was trying.

Attribute (Presence)
    (Quiet listener)
    Aspect of the Predator
    Mask of Tranquility
    JC Smith

Cacophony Whisperer

PRE

“Information?” He wasn’t sure if she was trying to speak in code or not. “Yes and no. Learning about biases can help to overcome them. However, it’s not easy. Since they happen unconsciously, a lot of the time you won’t notice them until after the fact. Assuming you know about them in the first place. I takes a lot of effort to seek out outside information and opinion, as well as introspection.” Not something their clan was always good at. “What type of biases are you looking to overcome?” That might help point her in a more specific direction.

If he didn’t know her covenant he would have guessed her to even possibly be a Carthian, at least the way she talked. Though Carthians fell along such a wide spectrum that was hardly saying anything. And given what he’d seen at court, he could say at the very least the Domain in general was still seemed fairly traditional. He remembered the date on her Laws, maybe there just hadn’t been enough time for her attitudes to filter into Kindred public life.

“Boxing, I guess. There was a gym I used to go to that gave self-defense classes. They also did pugil sticks on occasion. That was fun. Then there’s people watching.” Though that often meant having the desire to feed in the back of his mind now. “How about you? Any hobbies?”

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes
      ExitScene

+1
    SL
    PRE

“Huh.” A long nail taps the table as she thinks over what was said. “Introspection is always something that is important. And when you have the time,” a shrug, “why not.” They had time. “I’m honestly not sure it’s something that can be overcome. So it’s more about mitigating it, the perception others have of me. Maybe it’s just something I’ll need to accept and move on.” She could do that, but had been trying to grow.

“Boxing? I’ve watched a few matches, but never got into it myself. Seems to be a good at instilling discipline.” Or she could be reading the sport wrong. “Well, I’ve recently gotten back into piano, though it’s been quite a few years and I’m very rusty.” That was an understatement. “Classical music and art is another hobby, as well as firearms.”

Attribute (Presence)
    (Quiet listener)
    Aspect of the Predator
    Mask of Tranquility
    JC Smith

Cacophony Whisperer

PRE

A spike of fear ran up JC’s spine at Alessandra’s tapping. The claw like nails making him irrationally worried. Was she bored and about to eviscerate him now. He was regretting the Blush right now as he again had to measure his breathing and reassure himself he wasn’t going to die. And if he was then spending the remaining seconds afraid wasn’t how he wanted to go out. He’d rather go out happy.

He smiled a bit sadly. “Other people’s biases are even more difficult to overcome.” He doubted even the Ventrue could overcome such innately human experiences. “You’re in a good position as the boss to make that change but businesses spend a lot of money trying to get their people to overcome their instincts. Not always successfully.” He’d given a couple lessons for government offices but he was never sure how well the lessons stuck.

“Bias on a personal level is easier,” he continued, she might not be able to make people she Gangrel differently but getting people to see an exception to stereotypes for not as hard “Be true to yourself and let other people see and get to know you.” Though again being Prince might make that hard. “Though that doesn’t work on everyone.” Prejudice was a thing after all.

He gave a slightly quizzical look. “Do you think accepting it would be better? It obviously bothers you. Why is that?”

His chuckle was onlny partially to break fear’s hold on him. “I’ve never actually been in a match. It’s more a fun way to exercise than anything.” Not that he really needed to do that anymore now that his corpse was stuck in the state he had died.

“Piano, huh? I could probably plink out Chop Sticks,” he commented “It goes well with classical music though. Who’s your favorite composer?” ‘Classical music’ was a huge and varied genre after all. And growing all the time for the immortal Kindred.

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes
      ExitScene

+1
    SL
    PRE

“So either way, it’s going to be a challenge?” a small chuckle, “Might be a fun challenge. I’d be curious to see if I could make it work or not.” Could people change their opinions and biases?

A single nod, “I’ve been attempting to do that here and there. Take you for example, you’re seeing a side of me that is not seen at work. Though it’s not easy to be honest. But, not a lot of things are easy.” She would take what she could get, when she took the step.

There was a sigh, “Sometimes it’s about picking your battles. And it’s not that it bothers me per say, I just don’t like bias against someone based off their position or family.”

Thinking for a second, “I believe our cousin boxes. Or something similar along those lines. I’ve never really asked her a whole lot about it, but I remember hearing something in passing.” She wasn’t sure who she heard it from, maybe Mable herself?

Laughing, “Like I said, it’s been quite a few years since I’ve played. But I’ve been slowly picking it back up, and I’m as good as I once was.” But maybe with time. “Favorite? Beethoven, hands down. I find his music soothing. Specifically Moonlight Sonata and Symphony 9. What about you? A classical fan, or is there another genre that you enjoy?”

Attribute (Presence)
    (Quiet listener)
    Aspect of the Predator
    Mask of Tranquility
    JC Smith

Cacophony Whisperer

PRE

Don’t be afraid “Most things are a challenge,” he admitted “Though I wouldn’t stake you self worth on changing other people, boss or not. If you can, great. If you can’t, that’s their problem.” Though he had little experience in a boss position himself, you couldn’t hang your confidence on other people.
    JC’s shot arrived and the waiter had barely left before the JC had swallowed it.

“It feels like to me that you have a pretty solid barrier between being at work and being off work,” he commented “Which can be useful,” he added as a caveat. God only knew there weren’t Kindred that would look down on honesty. “But in a social circle as small as ours… As the head of that circle… personal and professional life can blend very easily.” He wasn’t exactly sure the point he was trying to make. “I guess what I’m trying to say is that if you’re wanting honesty and connection, you might have to start showing this side of yourself at work.” He knew that risk. He’d fled more than one domain doing it. However, he hadn’t ever been Prince.

He gave a slight shrug and smile “What’s the difference for you between being bothered and not liking something?” It sounded like there might be some internal conflict there. “Bias happens. It’s rarely intentional. What level of it brings up these feelings of dislike?” What was her tipping point?

JC’s eyebrows furrowed at the mention of a cousin “Clay?” She hadn’t mentioned him specifically, but he wouldn’t be too surprised. But since there wasn’t a name, it could be someone else he didn’t know.

JC smiled a bit again through his fear. “A lot of people like the relaxing part of classical music. I can’t say I have an artist I like in particular but I tend to like Baroque stuff. High paced, lot of improvisation. Nothing I could hope to play but it always makes for an interesting listen. Though it’s been years since I made an effort to go to a concert,” he admitted.

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes
      ExitScene

+1
    SL
    PRE

A hand waves dismissively, “Oh, I know my self-worth, and others opinions on me don’t effect it. I’m just looking to step out of a comfort zone.”

There was amusement on her face as she listened, “It’s something to take into consideration, blending my demeanor outside of work with myself in work. Not out of the realm of possibilities, but there are things to think about before such a move was made.” But they weren’t things she’d expect anyone to understand. “But I thank you for your candor.”

A smirk appears, “The difference?” she asks, “A few things. A lot of the things that bother me, I’m able to push aside and ignore. But when it comes to bias? Specifically against a group or family in the city? Then we have a problem and you’ve reached my tipping point.” And was bound to be a bad time.

Shaking her head, “No, Miss Wood. Though maybe I should call the family together, then everyone can touch base and all that.” It’d been a while since they all sat down and talked.

Her face lights up, “There are quite a few fine composer’s from the Baroque period. I could see it being difficult to find one you prefer over another. Vivaldi was quite talented.” Not many shared an interest in Classical, so it was quite refreshing. “You’ve been interested in playing?” she always thought anyone could learn.

Attribute (Presence)
    (Quiet listener)
    Aspect of the Predator
    Mask of Tranquility
    JC Smith

Cacophony Whisperer

PRE

JC’s eyebrow creased “That sounds a bit like the opposite side of the spectrum and not necessarily healthy either. Having a good sense of self worth is good but not letting anyone effect it can be its own problem. We are wired for connection,” Draugr probably discounted “Do you have someone whose opinion you value?”

JC noticed she didn’t say what things needed to be thought about. And the formality of her thanks. Then again, that could just be the way she talked. “I try to be honest,” he said. Though even now he doubts how much he should be. “Not always successfully. Trust needs it incrementally sometimes.”

Her smirk seemed curious. Did she think it obvious he wondered as she explained. “And how do you correct the bias when you see it? How do you make sure it isn’t conscious?” He already knew she’d killed people but he wanted to hear her thought process.

Wood? “I… don’t think I know her,” he admitted. Which was strange. Weren’t Kindred required to appear at official courts? He should have seen her right? Should he bring that up? “I don’t think I’ve met her officially.”

“If I’m being honest, I can barely remember their names,” he said, smiling in response to her brightness over music “I recognize Vivaldi but can’t name his works. Did he do the Seasons? I remember Winter being my favorite. Or maybe I’m thinking The Planets. Mostly I just remember the Baroque period being a highlight.”

He actually laughed a bit at her comment at being interested in playing “I played violin in my high school orchestra since a music course was required. I was never very good though and I’ve forgotten basically everything. I’d have a hard time even reading the music at this point.”

Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread