Mariel went to the Asylum to meet with Victoria Stamford. She wasn't sure what to expect. She entered the club, found a table, and watched the scene.

Victoria had just finished a demonstration for a couple new to the Asylum. She gave them enough information to get them familiar with the club environment and answer some of their questions, while putting their minds at ease. She felt that they would fit in quite nicely. She resolved to check in on them a little later after looking around the club so she could hook them up with someone else to speak with if they were still interested.

She made her way toward the bar; her long brown hair brushed her shoulders. As she moved, there was a soft creak of leather from her black miniskirt and red corset along with the firm clomping from her black knee high boots on the tiled floor. The thirty year-old beauty's pale, smooth skin was a bright contrast to her dark clothing in the dim lighting of the club.

As she approached the bar she felt the presence of a weaker beast, an intruder in her domain. Her wasp buzzed in fury at the interloper. It demanded the intruder pay in bloody retribution for daring to show itself to a superior beast. A moment after she felt the beast she saw it concentrated in a very young and beautiful red headed woman. Once her wasp was under control Victoria wondered how the woman got in looking so young, but then decided the fact that she was absolutely gorgeous may have had something to do with it. Victoria approached the woman from an angle that she would notice, careful not to startle her.

"Good evening and welcome to the Asylum. I'm Victoria Stamford, what can I do for you?"

Mariel felt a powerful beast approach her, and felt a sudden compulsion to bolt from the room. She had been expecting to meet Victoria, though, and that helped. After a quick panic-stricken moment, she was able to look up and smile at the dominatrix. Nice.

It wasn't that long ago that Mariel herself had been wearing her club leathers here at Asylum. Tonight, however, she was dressed simply: black skinny jeans and a long-sleeved black floral velvet top, with pointy-toed, black spike heels. She wore her reliquary wrapped around her neck, with the cross of the Lancea prominently displayed. Her hair was loose, and hung down her back like fiery silk.

I'm Mariel Fitzgerald, she said, standing and offering a hand to Ms. Stamford. I believe we have an appointment.

Victoria returned Mariel's smile with a warm friendly smile of her own and reached out to gently, but firmly grasp the other woman's outstretched hand. Mariel certainly wasn't what she had been expecting. For one she was a lot younger looking than kindred typically chosen for the embrace. Beautiful, very young...could she be daeva? I could see her being a hasty impulsive embrace that her sire felt needed to be claimed quickly. Hm, perhaps that was unfair of me.

Mariel's letters and Ishani's assessment made a lot more sense after having seen the woman. She seemed nice though. Wonder if it will last.

"Miss Fitzgerald! It is so good of you to come. I have been looking forward to our meeting for some time now. I have a place in back prepared already. Please if you'll follow me."

Mariel followed, wondering if they would be using the same room she had done her whip demonstration in.

Victoria lead Mariel the room that she had been using for her meetings. Half of the room was set up in comfortable couches for sitting and talking while the other half of the room was set up with equipment for recreational use. She held the door open for the woman and waited for her to walk in before closing it. She gestured to the couches and spoke, "Please have a seat."

She walked over to one of the couches, sat down, and crossed her legs. Smiling warmly to the woman she spoke, "There we are, now we can be ourselves. Let me begin with an apology. I'm sorry for the tone of my letter I think there may have been some misunderstanding on my part concerning your response. Was there something I can do for you?"

Mariel was confused, and trying hard not to show it. I thought perhaps there was something I could help you with, from what your letter said. You had wanted the convenants to work more cooperatively together, as I recall?

Very well, to business then.

Victoria nodded, "Quite right. I have been given the rather open ended task of assisting cooperation between the families and I thought that it would be logical and beneficial to extend this to the Covenant heads as well. However, with all the chaos in the city it is rather difficult to get the time to come together and discuss things as a whole and develop any bonds. Furthermore I am quite new to the city so I thought that I would try and get to know everyone a little and see how best to accomplish this.

"I also have heard that the Church is having some difficulty and that is unfortunate. As a member of the First Estate I always enjoyed attending the occasional mass. I feel there are many that could benefit from Longinus' teachings even if I myself if not a devout follower."

It's actually a really exciting time! said Mariel positively. We're going to have a new church open soon.

Mariel looked around. This is the same room I gave my whip demo in! she said, smiling with remembrance.

"That is good news. You will have to tell me when you are settled I would enjoy attending an open service if I am able to make the time and it is permitted."

Victoria smiled at Mariel's declaration,"Miss Fitzgerald I didn't know you also participated. You will have to stop socially when you have the time. I would be happy to have you over more often. Like you I myself am rather fond of the whip, I am also quite fond of caning. She paused for a moment before continuing, This may seem a little strange, and is a little off topic, but how well do you know Paladin Wells?

She came to the city after I did, so I guess I haven't known her that long. But in that time she's been very helpful to both me and the Covenant, said Mariel, remembering how Madison had bought a pig for her exorcism without even asking questions, and how she'd been strong enough to put the troublesome priest Father Nathaniel in his place. She looked surprised. Why do you ask?

Maybe I shouldn't have brought it up...

"If you knew her well enough I wondered if you may tell me a little about her interests. I know she has martial interests but little else. She has been quite a big help to me in getting settled into the city and wanted surprise her with something she would enjoy. If you don't feel comfortable talking about it that is fine. We can move on to business if you prefer."

I'm not uncomfortable talking about her, but I guess I don't really know her well enough to know her personal interests, admitted Mariel. There's been so much craziness going on with the church exploding that we've mostly talked about Covenant matters. I've never seen her outside that context.

So, if you wanted to get to the business part of our meeting, that would be fine. She smiled and hoped she wasn't making a bad impression.

"You're quite right, I was probably a little out of line expecting that of you. Please forgive me for being personal. I do not wish to make you uncomfortable. I don't mind that you mention to Paladin Well that I inquired of you concerning her, if you would be so kind please keep my reasoning between us however."

"Anyway, to business then, I'm trying to get to know people in the city. I have some personal experience with the Lancea Sanctum in the past, but I hoped that I could get to know the local chapter a bit more and its members including titles. As a Ventrue with the First Estate I would not wish to offend or embarrass anyone by omitting a title in addressing them or speaking of them. Also I understand that you are the Political representative of your group and if I understand it all contact is to go through you regarding business with the Church? Please forgive me I'm just confirming details."

Yes, I'm the Political Liaison until that title passes to an acting Priest. Right now there aren't many of us. There's Mother Superior Donna Maria-she's a visiting nun; and you know Paladin Madison Wells. She gets to have a big say in selecting the next Bishop, since she'll be devoting herself to his protection. Then there's Exorcist Sebastian McLeary, he's new in town, as is Brother Adolph Edel.

Victoria carefully listens committing the names and titles to memory. Once Mariel is done she replies, "I appreciate that. It helps me to gather a bigger picture of where everyone fits in the city. From your personal experience has there been any obstacles other than how busy things have been which prevent the the Covenants and Clan head from communicating or working together? Anything history that I should know? As a new arrival I am without any working knowledge of such."

Since you ask, sighed Mariel, yes there are barriers to communication. For instance, apparently recently 2 vampires of Sacramento apparently exploded. Internal bombs. The only reason I know about it is because one of our own members, Adolph Edel, was involved.

Getting the Seneschal to return calls is nigh impossible, and the Lancea have been trying in vain to schedule a meeting with Prince Clarke for weeks about demonic activity in the city which is affecting Kindred who enter Club Inferno. We haven't had any help in determining the cause of our church explosion, either. Before it burned down, we found a note painted in blood on the wall. It said "VII".

Maybe this is just my personal feeling, but my Covenant is the red-headed stepchild in this domain. I don't feel our concerns are being dealt with at all.

Victoria listened intently to Mariel, clearly interested in what she heard. "Hm...I thought a streamlining of communications would be our first priority but the status of communication is worse that I feared. I thought it strange that the Seneschal has never bothered to even contact the Prince's newest Priscus in the domain. Furthermore, with news of confirmed demonic activity in the city it begins to paint a grave picture indeed. If it would be acceptable, I will do what I can to assist you in contacting the Prince. I will also suggest the implementation of an overhaul of the communication system. Amateur and easily avoidable mistakes of this nature are entirely unacceptable."

Oh, I quite agree! said Mariel amiably. I'll be happy to assist you in any way I can. Was there anything else you wanted to discuss?

Victoria shook her head, "No I don't believe I have anything further to discuss. Unless you might have suggestions of your own concerning means of resolving the communication issue. If not I'd better let you get back to work, I know you must be busy."

Thank you for your efforts in implementing improving communication, said Mariel gratefully, if a little formally. It was a pleasure to meet you. She looked around at the back room of the club a little wistfully and smiled. Call me anytime you want a whip demo, I'd love to come back! She offered her hand to the Priscus, and took her leave.

Victoria smiled and took the woman's hand. "Likewise a pleasure. I hope we can meet again sometime in a social capacity. I'm always interested in seeing other whip enthusiast's technique. I wish you the best of luck in putting your Internal affairs in order. It would be nice to see the Lancea et Sanctum living up to its potential and have the respect it is capable of."

Mariel arched an eyebrow at the harsh, backhanded compliment to the Lancea et Sanctum, but let it go. She would have to watch this woman like a hawk. Typical Ventrue.