Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Dirt Nap, Jennifer, and Edward

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Jun 1, 2020 : (2006) June's Informal Court
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last

Presence
    (Watching)
    New Identity Clayton Jordan Carter
    Obfuscate 2 Mask of Tranquility
    Occultation (Vampire)
    Dirt Nap

OCC
    PRE

"Thank you kindly, Ma'am, Lady Hazelton." Dirt Nap says carefully. Obediently. People should be called what they want, if it's not a lie to do it.

He goes still, but unlike each time before, his stillness is not from concentration on a mental process, but an exercise of Resolve to avoid showing any expression at the train wreck happening in Court, with his nominal superior in his Order. It goes on, and on, not enough to take the turn too fast and foolhardy, but stoking the fire higher when any fool would know to slow down or kill the engine entire. Then the tracks are well and truly jumped. Priscus Black sets the terms, and still more coal is thrown in the furnace. Dirt Nap had felt a few blessed moments of shameful relief that Priscus Black had been called rather than himself, seeing as calling him to teach proper manners would be akin to calling Priscus Black to shoe a horse. Or maybe she would do a better job at even that than he would of teaching manners.

Then that chance is lost. Really man, stop digging. it's not enough to drag down just himself and Dirt Nap but the whole Order since he said he's here representing it. Dirt Nap himself has been more open than he maybe ought to about his own different way of looking at things from his superiors, but he never claimed to be representing the Order when he said something he maybe oughta kept to himself.

"I am real sorry, Mister Heinrich." Dirt Nap says, sounding genuinely regretful. "I am sorry too, Ma'am, Lady Hazelton." He says sound if anything even more sincerely sad as if at a missed and rare opportunity that duty demands be cut short.

"I really do have to go and...see to some...jobs that I can't rightly put off or put on anyone else, much as I wish I could stay and enjoy your company and conversation. I hope you will be willing to look past my having to go, and talk to me the next chance we get?" Dirt Nap says, his eyes darting to follow Horatio Quilz as he heads for the door, unacknowledged yet and needing to be at the least led out of the Domain to avoid poaching. Dirt Nap has seen poachers handled and remains disposed of a time before, and doesn't want to be trying to put together a report to his Order as to why the remains of their Sworn can't be found. If need be, at least he'll know where to find them. He thinks grimly.

Nonetheless, Dirt Nap does not rush off, but waits for Jennifer Hazelton and Edward Heinrich to acknowledge his stated need to leave, and give him their release from his own determination not to offend them by leaving without it.

Seneschal, Baroness Notary, Priscus of Nosferatu
    City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

Nosferatu curse: A voice that withered like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise

NOS
    PRE

"The Mask is something I devoted myself to as well. I would like to talk about your experience if that would not be too troublesome." Jennifer suggests a distraction from current troubles.

Jennifer has been monitoring the louder words that drift their way for a few moments. The Nosferatu had kept her face focused on the two Kindred she had been conversing with, having seen earlier that Alice was handling the newcomer with ease. The brunette nods slightly as Dirt Nap addresses the two Kindred, her expression softening to one of sympathy for the Gangrel.

"I understand." She reassures. "Matters of duty must be answered promptly. I look forward to when we speak again."
    The ruined voice falls, breath barely leaving her dead lungs as she grates out quietly. There could be no privacy here, yet she could give the illusion of hiding Dirt Nap's supposed discomfort.
    " You have proven that your Covenant can conduct oneself well."

The Nosferatu's expression of sympathy was smoothed away into composure a moment later. Those brown eyes tick to Edward, sharply observing his face. The skills she had used to delve into the depths of one's psyche or deciphering emotion were now tested against Edward's ability to conceal his emotion.

"A shame." She remarked obliquely.

Roll

2 successes
    Nosferatu Curse: Jennifer's voice withers like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise.

3. Likes Ruach liked this post

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Daeva Vice: Wrath
    Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

Edward tried to ignore what was happening, he really did. It wasn't his place; it wasn't his fight. Even if some part of him felt responsible for Lenora, he knew his 'help' would be both unneeded and unwanted.

It would seem your judgement of the man was correct, Lenora.

His face fell with sympathy upon hearing Dirt Naps words, "of course, Mr. Clay. I look forward to the next time we speak. May the rest of your night be uneventful." He almost said more, expressing sympathy at the hardship of having such a failure of a superior. But, once more, it was not his place. This did not appear to stop Jennifer.

And then there were two.

6 successes

For all Jennifer's searching of Edward's gentle expression, past that demeanour which could be more accurately characterized as anything other than imposing, there was nothing.

"Indeed. If you will be so kind as to forgive my choice of topic, my mind cannot help but settle on our coming meeting, and why it is you who I shall meet, Lady Notary." A brief pause, "In line with my question for Mr. Clay, which will sadly be left waiting, I am left to wonder what brought you to train for the position of Notary?" It was a presumptuous question, but Jennifer appeared to be a presumptuous person, she seemed likely to forgive his boldness.

5. Likes Ruach liked this post

Presence
    (Watching)
    New Identity Clayton Jordan Carter
    Occultation (Vampire)
    Dirt Nap

OCC
    PRE

Dirt Nap nods in turn to both Lady Hazelton and Mister Heinrich, "Well. Thank you both kindly for your understanding." He says softly with a stoic and sincere tone.

With that he heads out, also nodding respectfully as he leaves in the direction of the officers of the Court, most especially the Prince and also particularly Seneschal Hart notwithstanding her blindness. He is sure she will know.

City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

Nosferatu curse: A voice that withered like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise

NOS
    PRE

Jennifer nodded slightly, taking an incorrect impression of Edward. Her brown eyes move away from him, watching Dirt Nap as he leaves Elysium. She did hope his superior wasn't going to negatively impact Dirt Nap.
    "When I was sponsored by Reeve Greyson and Speaker Donovan, The Triumvir, I was focused on how I could assist with meeting the needs of the Covenant. In my case, I was in awe of what I saw accomplished with Oaths during my education. I have honed this fascination over my Danse, so there was a prime opportunity." She continues. “You are in position to choose from fascinating opportunities, yourself.”

In time, this would apply to Miss Black as well. She had some interest in what the Ventrue Priscus would gravitate towards. The Nosferatu wondered if Mr. Heinrich would guide her in the choice. If the two formed a working partnership, they could enjoy many benefits. Time would tell and Jennifer planned on enjoying the journey.

" The mystical compacts are a very fundamental part of our Covenant and I am glad that you are taking an interest. I am looking forward to our meeting."
    She may have guided the conversation by inquiring after Edward's interest in Covenant roles of function. There were so many, and she could see one or two fitting him like a glove. However, she did not think exposing plans in open Court would be beneficial to Mr. Heinrich. Having touched on the topic politely, she guided the conversation to topics suitable to open court.

“I am curious about you, Mr. Heinrich. Where do you hail from?”
    Who are your people?
    While inquiring about Dirt Nap, she had not seen much reciprocity. “As we were so focused on Dirt Nap, we neglected your own merits.” She smiled pleasantly.

Would he be interested in sharing? Sharing one’s merits and accomplishments was one way to rise. Her face carefully composed now. The sympathy for Dirt Nap was gone. In its place was idle curiosity. She was Nosferatu, gathering information was in her Blood. She was also playing a little game with herself. She had given Mr. Heinrich a bit of information that not many knew.
    Nosferatu Curse: Jennifer's voice withers like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise.

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

Edward nodded, he could understand the sentiment. "I fear my path was chosen for me, Lady Notary; however, were it not ordained, I would quite agree with the sentiment. I do not wish to be vague, yet declaring my intention feels dangerously presumptuous." It was why he left his Sire, after all. Stating his goal so quickly would call in to question why he left in the first place.

"You are too kind, Lady Notary. I am merely correcting an earlier mistake. Please accept my thanks in advance for your assistance; and, should there arise a task I may perform to return the favour, you have but to inform me." He spoke as though it were a matter of course, and for him, it was.

"Your curiosity honours me, Lady Notary. It will be my pleasure to sate it as I am able. I was first born in Seattle, my rebirth occurred in Vancouver. Again, I must apologize for any ambiguity on my part; it is not my intention to be mysterious. Yet the conditions of my departure demand discretion, so there is little further I may say of the matter." Edward thought for a moment, keenly aware Jennifer had shared something she need not have shared, and wanted to show good faith in turn. "I believe it would be safe to say I was chosen for two reasons: my Sire judged me to have the character to fulfil a role he required filling, and because of my expertise in the field of cybersecurity."

Edward laughed pleasantly, "my merits are few, Lady Notary. Although I do flatter myself by considering them significant. We have equally neglected your own merits, Lady Notary. If you were to be so kind as to brag to me, I would enjoy listening." He gave a small smile, as though he were apologetic for his phrasing.

City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

NOS
    PRE

"I do not think you presumptuous." Jennifer assures Mr. Heinrich. She is pleased that he has given what information he had about where he came from. Vampires could become largely self inventing. She had done so herself when her Sire had chosen to drop out of his own studies in the First Estate. She would have preferred to be be Blooded, herself. Reaching out to her Grand - sire had been more humbling than it had needed to be.

"I appreciate you sharing your origins. I was born in San Diego, myself." She neglected to mention how recently. One might be shocked. Or not, depending on how she had breathed just now.

"I enjoy educating."
    Jennifer replied conversationally. "One of the best benefits of our organization is the educational benefits that we enjoy, without taking all the risks ourselves."
    Her head inclines at the mention of a task he might perform. She accepts it gracefully, for
    "I was a citizen of Sacramento ten years ago. I learned a great deal here during my first visit. It was very exciting."

A bomb in Avalon, for one. Searching for the Nosferatu attacker in her very first Family meeting. She did like excitement.

"Oh, we have something in common." Jennifer smiles, sincerely.
    "I have studied cyber security for years. It was one of my goals to attempt a better virtual protection in the Blue Nowhere for the Elysium of the time during my first visit." That others had dropped the ball and then left in her absence were of no consequence.

"Hm, my merits." She pretended to muse. Not as fun as bragging when one wanted superior's to note their good deeds and have themselves rise in esteem. Most of what she would say would be wrapped in the security of an Invictus meeting. Jennifer may have overheard a mention of a meeting between her Grace, the Prince, and her Grace, the Archon. That would be something to look forward to.

"My skill is devoted to learning, mostly. My skills at computer hacking are continued to be honed. You will learn a bit about what I study during our scheduled Oath discussion."
    She neglected her study of Devotions and Disciplines. These things were for the First Estate meeting.

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

Edward's eyebrows raised a fraction, I did not suggest I was presumptuous. It was either a strange comment or Jennifer had misheard him, best to let it drop.

Edward nods as Jennifer reveals her own birthplace, and smiles as Jennifer downplays her contributions while simultaneously taking him up on his offer. It was so pleasant to deal with someone of good taste, well, except her excessive comments earlier. "Exciting? I would love to hear more of the Domain's recent history, and it sounds as though you may have a story or two, Lady Notary. That is," Edward gave a slight smile, "if you would enjoy sharing."

"With Mr. Mitnick's disappearance, I was beginning to think of myself alone in my expertise. It is so good to hear of a fellow expert. If it is a topic that has retained your interest, Lady Notary, it would be my pleasure to collaborate on installing protections."

He nods again, acknowledging her similarly evasive answer regarding her skills.

City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

NOS
    PRE

"I have a few stories, that is sure. Many were from about eleven years ago." She replies pleasantly. "I would be interested in working collaboratively on protections. I am curious, did you start as a White Hat?" Jennifer inquires.

"I am mostly in a White Hat capacity. I have occasionally been required to use my skills to aid investigations."

Her head turns as Mable departs the Elysium. She gives the departing woman a nod of respect. She had picked up a bit of that confusing conversation and was relieved it was at an end. Her attention returns to Mr. Heinrich.

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

Edward nods with a smile, this wasn't really the time for stories after all. "Wonderful to hear, and I suppose the answer is yes, after a fashion." He paused, recalling the day he was arrested, "I specialized in Pen Testing while I was with the NSA. My interest has shifted to theoretical cryptography as of late. My most recent nights have been spent preparing a paper on a stream cipher application of Keccak."

"Does the Lady Notary have a specialty?"

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread