Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

The Lady Notary and Prospective Clients

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
    Seneschal, Baroness Notary, Priscus of Nosferatu
    City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Obfuscate 2 Mask of Tranquility
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

Nosferatu curse: A voice that withered like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise

NOS
    PRE

"The mystic power can be closely guarded, so I am not surprised that is the summation of one's knowledge. It is how we protect our Covenant secrets. An Oath is to be taken by those seeking the First estate. It protects the First Estate from any would be usurpers of knowledge, even something as simple as seeing which spheres of influence we are cultivating." Jennifer assures.

As Miss Black is invited to the seats, the Lady smiles slightly. She appreciates Miss Black joining the conversation alongside her and Mr. Heinrich. She tilts her head towards Mr. Heinrich as she considered the thought.
    "I believe it depends on how one considers the definition 'devotion'. " The Notary decides.
    “Some of the mystical power of the Blood is the same as you may consider needed for a devotion. I spend a great deal of my time focusing the mystical power to enforce the supernatural contracts.”

She looks between the two.
    “There are different types of Blood Oaths. I have told you about symbolic Blood Oaths.”

She took up her leather journal, a hand smoothing the pages as she pulled out a loose piece of paper already written upon. She sets the paper onto the paper facing Mr. Heinrich and Miss Black. It held only a few words delicately written in the center of the unlined paper.
    1. Symbolic Blood Oaths
    2. Oaths of Avoidance
    3. Oaths of Performance
    4. Mutual Oaths

"The simplest Oath is the Oath to not do something. It is a prime way to protect the Covenant's power and protect against infighting, which would occupy time better spent consolidating power. An Oath to not enter a certain Domain or attack a Kindred is an example of what I have seen enforced. These would be Oaths of Avoidance. There are more elusive Blood Oaths, these can utilize the power of the Blood that you mentioned, Mr. Heinrich. They can enforce breaking the Oath quite severely."

She looks between the two Kindred, evaluating their interest.

"Where does your interest lie? Do you have questions?"
    Nosferatu Curse: Jennifer's voice withers like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise.

Lenora Black | Public: Lenore Greene
    New Identity
    (Lenore Greene)
    Striking Looks
    (Comely)
    Presence
    (Winsome)
    Allies
    (Judicial)
    Allies
    (Culture)
    Lenora

+1
    SL
    PRE

Lenora takes her seat once she is cleared to do so.

Once she is settled the Lord listens to the pair discuss Disciplines, though it is Lady Jennifer that commands most of her attention given the content of her words.

Delicate fingers fold on the table as the Haunt continues, Lenora's pale eyes falling to the gifted page to follow along as Hazelton speaks. At the question, however, Lenora has some pause, but soon formulates a response.

"Given the small size of Sacramento, my interests lie with supporting the sitting Notary,"
    Lenora offers, her cadence formal, but neutral, as if providing, "And understanding the function of the Oaths as you present them. The Oaths are crucial, but so too are other avenues in which I could assist. To this end, what is the extent that you expect a member of the First Estate to understand? You mentioned the commonality of symbolic oaths."

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Daeva Vice: Wrath
    Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

He nods. A workable but wrong metaphor then.
    It would serve as a baseline. His eyes scan the list, a simple enough thing to commit to memory. Edward waits for Lenora's question to be answered before raising his own: "My apologies, Lady Notary, I am not convinced I have grasped symbolic oaths. Would you please elucidate the differences between mutual and symbolic oaths?"

City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

Nosferatu curse: A voice that withered like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise

NOS
    PRE

Jennifer inclines her head towards Lenora at her well-chosen words.
    "I would hope that members of the First Estate would understand the opportunity available to them." She replies to the Ventrue Priscus.
    "I am glad you have perceived the common knowledge of symbolic Oath, Miss Black. I would be glad to preside over one learning a symbolic oath. Some Oaths could be taught in a single night.”

Jennifer assures. The Notary looked between Mr. Heinrich and Miss Black, attempting to gauge their interest. There was a great deal of information she knew about Oaths.
    She looked to Mr. Henrich.

“I have not specified Mutual Oaths as yet.
    Mutual Oaths are one of the main benefits of the First Estate, in my opinion. Mutual Oaths most notably oaths of fealty, are perhaps the most important oaths among the Invictus. One party to the oath promises a service in return to for a specified benefit. Typically, the superior in the pair gets the advantage.
    I am currently studying one of the Oaths I believe to be the strongest Oath that I have witnessed: the Oath of Blood Service.

In order to clarify the amazing results Mutual Oaths can accomplish, I am curious. What Oaths have you witnessed?” She looked between the two.
    "Or have sworn in the past?”

The Notary was certain she could explain mutual Oaths with what they had witnessed. Or it was entirely possible with the mystery they had expressed that they had not witnessed Oaths.
    Nosferatu Curse: Jennifer's voice withers like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise.

New Identity
    (Lenore Greene)
    Striking Looks
    (Comely)
    Presence
    (Winsome)
    Allies
    (Judicial)
    Allies
    (Culture)
    Lenora

+1
    SL
    PRE

Lenora remains attentive, granting a thankful nod to the woman's words.

"The only oaths I have been required to swear are oaths of service, though these were symbolic in nature. My honor was bound to them, but they were not mystically enforced," she answered as the Lady asked for her experience, "However, I have born witness to the Oath of the Bloody Hand, though I admit my lack of knowledge into the finer details of that oath. I am aware that more were sworn in the Baroness' audience chamber, but I was only permitted entry to bear witness to this one."

Then back to her practiced silence. A question was asked, an answer given.

Simple as that.

6. Likes liked this post
    City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

NOS
    PRE

"I take it you have sworn no Oaths and seen no Oaths sworn?" Jennifer proposed to Mr Heinrich.
    Interesting. Most domains liked having Kindred witnesses , so she would think Mr. Heinrich ought to have seen something.

"Miss Black, very interesting. Oath of the Bloody Hand is very useful. I have heard of a Mekhet who claimed the Priscus position from a rival with Oath of the Bloody Hand, and went on to join a Dynastic House. That was a very good use of how the Oath can be used. "

"Interesting. The one Oath we all swear is the Oath to the First Estate." She looked between the two, determining their interest. "Prince Asa Clarke instrumented that any Kindred who declined the Oath to protect the tenants of the First Estate would likely not rise in esteem above a page."

Mr Jacque had already confirmed that the practice of swearing held true. Had the initiative for this pledge of devotion been undertaken?
    If they had not, she had half a mind to see the accepted member sworn in properly.

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

Edward continues to listen with care, absorbing both of Jennifer's answers. While Jennifer had explained mutual oaths, she did not reveal any differences; perhaps she thought it was enough to lecture on mutual Oaths. In any case, Edward was not about to repeat the question.

"I would find it of great interest to learn such an Oath, Lady Notary." He was solemn. Having one under his belt could not help but give him perspective, and it was a way to learn more about symbolic oaths.

His eyebrows raised as Jennifer did not even wait for his answer before assuming his ignorance.
    "I am uncertain from where you have taken the notion, Lady Notary." His tone was cool, "I was present when Mister Jacque swore his oath."
    His tone softened to its usual friendly cadence, "Yet, you are broadly correct regarding my inexperience. In Vancouver, the reigning Prince had a deep dislike of oaths, employing them outside of the first oath of loyalty was to earn their ire." He hadn't the slightest idea why, but he had been informed never to discuss them.

Prince Asa Clarke? The name rang a bell, but Edward failed to initially place it.

9. Likes liked this post

New Identity
    (Lenore Greene)
    Striking Looks
    (Comely)
    Presence
    (Winsome)
    Allies
    (Judicial)
    Allies
    (Culture)
    Lenora

+1
    SL
    PRE

"In this case the Oath was used to facilitate a service of penance, I'm afraid," Lenora offered, explaining the reasoning behind her experience with the oath, "Though I'm certain the consequences of failure will be an adequate motivator."

Then a nod is granted at the revelation that an Oath would likely be required at the end of her ties with Edward. Such an admission made sense. The local Invictus needed to ensure loyalty.

"As it should be,"
    Lenora states, "These traditions are what separates us from the Beast. Should I meet the expectations of Her Grace, I look forward to the night I might swear such an Oath."

Lenora's eyebrows then raise lightly at Edward's words regarding his experience in Vancouver.

"How strange... their employ has been seen as a great boon in Philadelphia,"
    she offered, "The diversity of our society continues to surprise."

11. Likes liked this post
    City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

NOS
    PRE

"I would be pleased to teach you the Blood Tell Oath." Jennifer assures, pleased at the choice. "This is the Oath all but common knowledge within the Invictus. Both parties must know the Oath in order for the mystic contract to be fulfilled. The Oath can be taught in a single night."
    She could teach the Oath then and now, but leaves the option there in case there were other pressing concerns regarding the Oaths.
    Jennifer gave Edward a glance at his remark.

"From your silence when I asked the question a few moments ago, Mr. Heinrich."
    She replied, her tone polite as her voice slithered like a snake over dried and dead leaves on a forest floor.
    Her eyes tick between the two for a moment.
    "It’s a shame that you were denied witnessing Blood Oaths, Mr. Heinrich. The Oaths are the skeletons, and depriving Kindred the right to experience them strikes me as a chance lost." She had been about to speak more strongly, but tempers her words. Especially if it was the Inner Circle or a Prince that had made the decree.
    "I have no doubt that you will swear, and proudly. Miss Black." She speaks to Lenora. "Some time may be spent in devotion to all the many intricacies. Spending this time in study keeps the chance for disaster at bay when you know the proper choice for every occasion. At times we had Au Pairs to assist potential sponsors, for the details learned are so precise and important. I am pleased that you both sought out this knowledge."
    She looks between the two.

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

Edward inclined his head in acknowledgement to Lenora's words. He felt the same about Sacramento, although he wouldn't say so.

"Supposing Miss Black has no further questions...?" Edward spared Lenora a glance, "I confess the prospect of learning the Oath tonight is enticing, should that be on offer." It was a bit fast-paced for his taste, but that is how things seemed to go in this Domain.

Impatient, aren't we? But he held his tongue, she was his superior. As she spoke to the missed opportunity, Edward nodded in agreement.

Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread