Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Mantle - Chilling breeze, summoning tiny leaves
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mein: Rhodes has pale whitish skin, elfin ears and deep, overly large emerald eyes. Thin black veins broach the surface of his skin like the roots of a tree emerging from the ground. Dark, broad leaves sprout from his wrists, ankles and temples, spreading around the back of his head. Deep red flowers bloom at the temples and wrists.
    Mantle

Mantle: A breath of icy wind, the kind that penetrates and sends a chill down the spine. Ash leaves in red, yellow and gold spin into existance around him, caught on the breeze. As the wind blows, unnerving whispers can be heard, always coming from a direction just out of one's field of vision.
    Rhodes Scenes

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

It was a cliche, really, to be based in a Haunted House. But the Dread Lord had to admit it had a particular flair.

Since he had moved in with Seraphina, Rhodes had tried to keep Edna's in a presentable if thematic state. The Autumn leave sin every corner, the dust and the cobwebs... the kitchen still clean and practical.

Lounging in the wooden throne at the head of the heavy oaken table, a set of tea stewing, he read the book in his hand. Legends of Medieval Europe. Another time spend looking at an adversary only too soon he felt he, as Director, may have to be announcing to the Freehold.

Still, that was another matter.

This was Courtly business, one he had let slide far too long.

The Autumn King had invited his one Courtier to learn more about him, and hear his thoughts on Fear.

Perhaps he would learn a thing or two.

Patiently, he waited for the appointed time.

Flowering Fairest, Mantle: An ever-changing, spine-chilling icy wind, creating spinning autumn leaves and haunting whispers.

2. Likes liked this post
    Mantle (Autumn)
    (Shadows, heat and ringing metal)
    New Identity
    (Anatole Kolowksi)
    Strong Back
    Resources
    Anatole

MASK
    A shorter, barrel chested man with a thick beard.

MEIN
    A 'dwarf' with burned, scorched, and scarred skin.

PRE

Smith

Anatole arrives promptly. He is waring the same off-sized suit but he has changed his tie to a more formal black-and-blue design.

His face is a studied mask; his eyes, naturally narrowed, fasten onto the seated Dread Lord.

Anatole waits politely before moving across the table. He raps his knuckles carefully on the wooden surface, announcing his arrival.

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mein: Rhodes has pale whitish skin, elfin ears and deep, overly large emerald eyes. Thin black veins broach the surface of his skin like the roots of a tree emerging from the ground. Dark, broad leaves sprout from his wrists, ankles and temples, spreading around the back of his head. Deep red flowers bloom at the temples and wrists.
    Mantle

Mantle: A breath of icy wind, the kind that penetrates and sends a chill down the spine. Ash leaves in red, yellow and gold spin into existance around him, caught on the breeze. As the wind blows, unnerving whispers can be heard, always coming from a direction just out of one's field of vision.
    Rhodes Scenes

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

The Autumn King looks up from his book at the knock, and smiles easily. It's a professional smile, the one that wipes on and off at the drop of a hat.

"Anatole!" He beams. "Have a seat, please. Tea? Something stronger?"

He leans back, watching the Dwarf with his overly large emerald eyes.

"I was hoping that we could talk, that we might know one another better. That I might see what your perspective is on the Leaden Mirror, what drew you to it and perhaps share some of my insights." He set the book down, and pulls up a cup. "I can also offer if you have any questions about the Freehold, or the other Courts. Except Winter - they're all a bit new."

The Flowering sips from the cup. "So tell me, Anatole. What brought you to Sacramento in the first place, if it is not too personal a question?"
    Flowering Fairest, Mantle: An ever-changing, spine-chilling icy wind, creating spinning autumn leaves and haunting whispers.

Mantle (Autumn)
    New Identity
    (Anatole Kolowksi)
    Strong Back
    Resources
    Anatole

MASK

MEIN

PRE

Smith

"Eh? Sure."

Anatole spoke without flair or pause or suspicion.

"You got any coffee? No matter. Tea will be fine. Eh. Why Sacramento? The money ran out. This town was the last one where I could afford to pay the ticket. And it was... furthest... from where I started out."

The wizened dwarf pulled up a seat.

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mantle

Rhodes Scenes

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

The Dread Lord nods. It was as legitimate a reason as any - many sought to flee their own place and start completely over. On the other hand... it was a personal question.

The smile recedes, and he becomes more serious. Perhaps an offer, a show of who he is and what he is. "I make no bones about who or what I am, Anatole. I live carefully, I earn in ways that are hard to trace. But my passion was, and always is, what we have become. Our magics, our powers. I have spent much time studying and stretching our Arcadian heritage. I am an Oneriomancer, Pledgesmith, but above all I consider myself an Occultist. A scholar. Not so much a living stereotype as could be interpreted, I like to think. I have embraced the ways of the Leaden Mirror and they are my practices have been so rewarded in my bearing. The Evergreen Flowering is rarely one thinks of as the embodiment of Fall. Even my appearance I find now part of the misdirection our Court so routinely employs." He pauses, catching himself. Ego was the very core of the Fairest, and his was beginning to draw out.

"I consider it a duty of the Leaden mirror to ensure that we arm our more distracted associates with the reminders of Fear and, if possible, wisdom. That is my view and the standard I hold myself to - take of that what you will. But in this Freehold we are a small band, and need some manners of careful trust. I ask that you keep Fear in your mind and ensure others do not forget, but do not spread it with abandon through the Freehold. No presumptions made, since you have not, but merely a clarification." The Dread Lord pauses. "There are many thoughts on Fear, as I am sure you know. Fear keeps us alert - keeps us alive, by fight or flight. To deny it, to forget it, obscure it or drown in the sorrow from it are all distractions from the truth - that Fear is one of the oldest and most primal things, that a modern world seeks to forget. Personally, I prefer the Quiet Fear. The threats and quiet power that shows true control, not the primal roars that make only the lesser-willed cower. This city has had both in equal measure, I have seen."

The Autumn King sips his tea. "But what are you, Anatole? What does the Leaden mirror mean to you? What do you bring, what do you seek?"

7. Likes Yumyumcrow, liked this post
    Mantle (Autumn)
    New Identity
    (Anatole Kolowksi)
    Strong Back
    Resources
    Anatole

MASK

MEIN

PRE

Smith

Anatole looked grim, looking across the table at the Dread Lord. Perhaps that was the wizened's default setting, perhaps it was the gravity he bought to conversation as it turned to more serious matters.

"Wise words," he commented. He left a pause to develop, filling it with the activity of making his own tea.

"Me? Guess I have a similar interest as you. I'm for the magic. To understand and master it. I had to slave long and hard in the forge because of that power. My escape was the first step on my journey, you might say. I've seen what it can do. I want it. I don't want to be in its thrall ever again. And I know power like that comes with a price."

He let his eye fix on the Dread Lord.

"Right now I'm just getting my bearings. I suppose my first goals are to gain a broader understanding of our Contracts and so forth."

He let the words out quickly, hastening through them. A partial truth, carefully omitting where his real interests lay.

"Quiet fear is the way I believe. Any hack fool can make visceral fear with the right tool. And half the poor saps out there in the world are so self absorbed these days, even a minor inconvenience gives 'em the shivers. But quiet fear, as you put it - now that is subtle and so varied. Respect is earned fear. Awareness is as much fear of the unknown as knowing that you don't have all the variables for your calculations. Fear done right is a beautiful thing. Keeps people alive. Keeps people safe."

"So. what do you need me to do?"

There was a lot of truth in Anatole's words. And his words were also crafted to conceal certain feelings...

Feelings he had harboured since his Durance began. Feelings that remained burning embers, freshly raked each day.

Date Action Roll Result
    2020-04-13 01:14:32 Anatole to bury certain Truths... rolls 6 to Manipulation + Subterfuge + Spec (10 Again) 7, 7, 1, 1, 8, 1 1 success

Roll is if you need it Xadun Rhodes

9. Likes liked this post
    Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mantle

Rhodes Scenes

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

Rhodes acknowledges the compliment with a small incline of the head. They were building a measure of due respect. This was good.

There is another nod. "I sympathise. What I recall was that of sight, observation. A literal wallflower, an ornament for the guests of my.... Mistress." There is is a slow breath. Speaking of Keepers was always testing.

The thing about Wallflowers? They were also always watching the guests.

3 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2020-04-13 05:06:04 Rhodes rolls 8 to Spotting the Signs: Wits+Subterfuge+Spec (10 Again) 7, 5, 6, 8, 10, 6, 5, 10, 7, 1 3 successes

A smile touches the Dread Lord's lips as haunting whispers rustle in the room. Ulterior motives. Shielding of feelings.... How interesting. But would he really be one of Autumn's sworn if he didn't have them?

"Well. If it our particular contracts you seek, I may be of some assistance for tutelage. I have experience in most and dabbled in all of the Leaden Mirror's particular gifts. But when it comes to Fear, it seems we are cut from a similar cloth, which is reassuring." The Dread Lord's cup meets his lips, and drinks slowly. "Need? Nothing, at this time. As long as the Freehold can count on you against the enemies of all our kinds, and you use discretion in your interactions with the mortal world, I am content for you to live your life. Really, I was more curious as to what I might be able to do for you, if you had any questions about the Freehold, or it's inhabitants."

11. Likes liked this post
    Mantle (Autumn)
    New Identity
    (Anatole Kolowksi)
    Strong Back
    Resources
    Anatole

MASK

MEIN

PRE

Smith

"Perhaps. Eh. I'm currently exploring a few of the Contracts I picked up on my escape."

Anatole tugged on his beard. His eyes never left Rhodes.

"Yes. Tell me about the Freehold. I admit I don't come out this way much. Why... Why a theme park? And why this?"

He gestured to the grand old house.

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mantle

Rhodes Scenes

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

The Dread Lord nods. "I have rarely found there to be a useless contract. Some are far more niche than others, and yet...." he spreads one hand as he trails off, the point self-evident.

"Where to begin? Well, research into the area shows that there have often been our kind here for many years, just as in most cities. The best way to hide a tree is in the forest, after all. I have learned that the first iteration of the freehold as it stand today emerged almost a decade ago, operating out a Hotel imaginatively named the Four Seasons. There followed a turbulent period where the Freehold was controlled, or perhaps dominated might be a better term, by a powerful dragon-kith considerably more powerful than the rest of the inhabitants. His time was one of tyranny and oppression, until the Freehold rose up and quite literally slew him." Rhodes pauses for effect. "Only one member of the population was here at that time - the current Queen of Spring, Lady Seraphina." Was Circe here? He couldn't recall ever asking. "It is possible Lady Circe of the Iron Spear was there as well... I would have to check. "In the time following the Dragon's demise, I have theorised the gaps in Courts failing to create a true freehold caused issues - the same issues I believe happened this winter - and thus the position of Director was created. An official leader from the standpoint of fulfilling duties the Courts could not. Not to supplant the Courts or monarchs, but to assume those places when those heads could not be found. The duty that has now fallen to myself, should gaps ever happen again. The first Director was Queen Mhari, my predecessor as Autumn Monarch. Then Lady Ingrid, the previous Spring Queen. After that time, the Courts were reasonably stable, and the position became somewhat defunct as the Seasonal Monarchs ascended to their more customary duties. "

The Flowering sips his tea again. "Following the dragon's defeat it was decided to move away from the hotel that held so many traumatic memories. Funderland was chosen for many reasons - high number of mortal visitors to hide among, high staff turnover that we might provide employment for those that need it, places we might call out own outside of open hours." He gestures around the pair. "Such as this! Edna's. The Haunted House, closed for renovation and due to be reopened some time never. Queen Mhari owned this property and had it transferred here in it's entirety, as a piece of American history. It was the home of one of Sacramento's first serial killers, which was it's attraction and draw. Since that time it has been the seat of the Leaden Mirror. A little on the nose perhaps, but it forms a pleasant base of operations without anyone having to reveal their home arrangements."

Rhodes rises, walking slowly around the room. "The reason I give this sweeping history is because no changelings remain that recall all of this time. Mush of what I have learned is from personal accounts and what I have recovered from scouring the local Hedge for old Hollows and lost histories.Few seem interested in it, but knowledge of the city's past can help build it's future. The showing at the Spring Coronation is the Freehold in full - we have no knights, few fighters, and the misdirection that our Court has made it's trademarks are more important than every to shield our allies." He rests a hand on the mantle piece. " The population has always been small, rarely reaching a score. Most stay for a few months, maybe a year and most on. As is wont to happen, a small number have made this waystation their home. You have met the longest-standing figures, by this point - Queen Seraphina of Spring, Lady Circe of Summer, and myself. Regarding the members, Spring has always been prominent here. Lady Seraphina was a Joyeux before the throne, and still acts in a similar capacity to help these around fulfil desires. Sonja Wu is erratic and excitable, but can give remarkable insight and had excellent instincts if she can hold her focus. Lady Titania is charming, but can be naive and...misguided. She has been away for a very long time." He pauses to breath, walking back towards his chair. "Lady Circe of Summer is an expert in arms of many kinds. Though she seems jovial, I have seen the fury that burns beneath, and she is the very dawn of the Iron Spear. The rest... you know as much as I do. But these are my thoughts. I encourage you to meet with the Freehold and form opinions of your own."

The Autumn King resumes his seat. "Is there anything you wish to ask?"

14. Likes , Yumyumcrow liked this post
    Mantle (Autumn)
    New Identity
    (Anatole Kolowksi)
    Strong Back
    Resources
    Anatole

MASK

MEIN

PRE

Smith

Anatole was hunched over, gently sipping his tea. He placed down his cup as the Dread Lord elaborated. Finally, his chair chreaked as the dwarf's posture and weight shifted.

He was scanning their surroundings once again, one bushy eyebrow arching in curiously contemptuous curiosity.

"House of a serial killer? You should move the grand old dame outta this theme park. Insulting. Unbecoming. Let the silly springs run this childish theatre. Our House should stand alone as a monument and a warning, eh? Fear is not child's play."

A pause.

"I've spoke at length with Circe of the Iron Spear. She is refreshingly straight forward. John of Winter likes to keep things close - which I approve of - and Angel is as aloof as ice. The Emerald crowd are... very friendly. Much too open. Bugul... Bugul - now he is someone I really want to work with. I... eh... dig... his honest simplicity. And he willingly put me up for a night when I really needed it."

16. Likes liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread