DISPLAYED
Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last

Contacts (Finance)
    Contacts (Digital Networks)
    Contacts (Academia)
    Trained Memory
    Abacus Scenes
    Abacus

The sound of dialing numbers (phone, keypad, rotaries, calculators) echo in the ears of those in close proximity. Shimmering gold lettering take the form of flickering mathematical symbols that form complex equations in the air.

PRE

"Just wanted to see if I was right."

This was a tough nut. Not even worth cracking.

"You want somebody found. You want assets traced. You want the last known location of a particular item of interest. You want to know where to cast your net. I can do all of that. Just give me a problem to solve. I'll do it."
    Acanthus | Mysterium |

Winter
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Education
    (West Point Grad)
    Occultation
    Winter

Nimbus

Dark shadows scatter in ordered symmetrical patterns traversed by a crackling pallid silver light that wraps Winter in a pleasantly numbing and icy coldness.
    When vulgar magic is cast, the frequency of the oscillation of the dark fluid surges until the shadows arrange themselves in a solid black halo around Winter's head, the white light darkens into a fiery black sunlight and his eyes are set ablaze with vivid incandescence.
    Stats

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor: 1(General)/2(Ballistic)
    Defense: 3

Active Spells: 1/6
    Personal Spells: 1/3
    Incognito Presence (Mind 2) Rote, Scene, Pot[1]

OCC
    PRE

Anything worth pursuing had to be valuable enough to not risk outsourcing the process. The Guardian looked at the Mystagogue puzzled. Both their respective Orders were jealous of magic; the idea that he'd put Order's business into the hands of a stranger and for no particular reason sounded peregrine at best.
    At worst the Acanthus was either a terrible negotiator or was actively fucking with him, or maybe - the thought crossed his mind - the Mystagogue was truly sure of his own skill.
    But nobody played fast and loose with magical knowledge, especially the Mysterium, who had so far perfected the art of trading favours that they had developed a specific word for it "There's no free lunch in the world"

Contacts (Finance)
    Contacts (Academia)
    Trained Memory
    Abacus Scenes
    Abacus

The sound of dialing numbers (phone, keypad, rotaries, calculators) echo in the ears of those in close proximity. Shimmering gold lettering take the form of flickering mathematical symbols that form complex equations in the air.

PRE

"The payment is exposure. I'm not claiming right to anything we find, even if my eyes land on it first. I just want to work. Negotiations will be what they may when the moment arrives, but for now, I want my foot in the door."

He knew of graybeards and shrouded skulkers. Cloistered scholars and carvers of labyrinths. He would like to think that the two of them could be different. The hunger was an itch he very much wanted to scratch, something to occupy his mind and send him along the trains of thought and formula. Answers demanded Questions.

"You cannot truly believe I would be foolish enough to not take this seriously."

My prior will-work aside...

"I've signed non-disclosures for far worse."
    Acanthus | Mysterium |

Winter
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Education
    (West Point Grad)
    Occultation
    Winter

Nimbus

Dark shadows scatter in ordered symmetrical patterns traversed by a crackling pallid silver light that wraps Winter in a pleasantly numbing and icy coldness.
    When vulgar magic is cast, the frequency of the oscillation of the dark fluid surges until the shadows arrange themselves in a solid black halo around Winter's head, the white light darkens into a fiery black sunlight and his eyes are set ablaze with vivid incandescence.
    Stats

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:

OCC
    PRE

Yet the only foot that was going to move was his own up this guy's ass, if he didn't wise up and stopped speaking nonsense.
    "Non-disclosures which your standing offer is openly contradicting. That alone tells me everything I need to know. What if I requested something currently in the possession of your own branch?", was the guy fishing for information or he really didn't think much of his Order's vows?
    "I will let you know that I'm not the greatest believer in democracy, and neither I'm a believer in the free flow of information. You've picked the wrong customer", he shrugs, then a swift hand reaches inside his pocket, seemingly grasping something, "now the point is. Should I act with the civility that so far you haven't extended to me? Should I keep this discussion private, or should I inform the head of your department?"

Contacts (Finance)
    Contacts (Academia)
    Trained Memory
    Abacus Scenes
    Abacus

PRE

Winter threatened sanction. It could spell the end of everything Abacus had worked for.

Perhaps he stepped too far. Perhaps he should have played this closer. You could always play it closer...

"Not a chance." A test of his loyalty; a warning shot.

"I'm not offering up the house. I'm offering a street sweeper. Nooks and crannies far away from our respective landlords."

This was supposed to be cooperative. This was supposed to be an open hand from one seeker to another. This was supposed to be a pursuit of Mystery, something more sublime than faction. To learn for learning's sake and no one else. It was becoming clear that this so-called Awakened was nothing more than a partisan.

"I've obviously misjudged you. I made an error."

Was that...humility? "Let's start over. Please?"

"We both want the same thing. Our methods may differ, but our principles are not too dissimilar. I'm looking to you as a colleague not a competitor. As someone who respects our choice of profession."

Abacus wouldn't have been surprised if Winter thought his ilk were the only ones who truly respected the Art.
    Acanthus | Mysterium |

Winter
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Education
    (West Point Grad)
    Occultation
    Winter

Nimbus

Stats

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:

OCC
    PRE

"You want to start over?", he asks perplexed, knowing well that if it was within his powers, the Acanthus wouldn't have asked permission, "be my guest"
    The ball bounces off the concrete, and he surprisingly lines another shot. "You made many errors, we're not going to delve deeper into the topic. The fact remains that you know nothing other than what I choose to divulge. The same applies to me. So, let's not assume anything on behalf of the other and let's work with the mere facts", he shrugs, barely looking at the man, "For some reasons still unknown to me though, you choose to let me know that your time and collaboration are up for sale. And I'm left wondering just how high your price might go before your ethics take the backseat and whether you filter out your buyers. Since you came to me - a perfect stranger - either your standards of due diligence must be low, or you specifically wanted something from me. An offer of friendship?"

1 success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2020-02-01 10:32:28 Winter rolls 6 to Shooting (10 Again) 1, 1, 4, 9, 2, 4 1 success

7. Likes West liked this post

Contacts (Finance)
    Contacts (Academia)
    Trained Memory
    Abacus Scenes
    Abacus

PRE

"That is exactly what I am offering, if you'll have me."

Had he the vision of the Eleventh and the power to crack the seams that divide choice across the threads of Time, he may well have begun again. Fully. A simple step from one potential to another. Had he the power, there could be no mistakes. No margins of error, only calculation and execution. But he would settle for this. A clean slate. The storm had for the moment passed. He had not yet given himself permission to breathe a sigh of relief.
    Acanthus | Mysterium |

Winter
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Education
    (West Point Grad)
    Occultation
    Winter

Nimbus

Stats

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:

OCC
    PRE

"Had I wanted a friend, I would have gotten a dog", lapidary.

Contacts (Finance)
    Contacts (Academia)
    Trained Memory
    Abacus Scenes
    Abacus

PRE

"And yet you're still here."
    Acanthus | Mysterium |

Winter
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Education
    (West Point Grad)
    Occultation
    Winter

Nimbus

Stats

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:

OCC
    PRE

"You're the one who sought me out", he states flatly. The ball rolls away from him, playtime was over. "There's much to be gained listening", he stands idle, taking the measure of the one-man path Councilor.
    "I'll ask you one more time. What are you looking for?"

Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread