Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Watch

Paradox

THREADID

One of the most common topics I’m getting questions messaged to me about is Paradox so I’ve put this together to put the answers in one place.

Firstly Primer: Paradox Is very useful!

1. Any vulgar spell cast on or in front of sleepers gives +2 to the paradox dice pool for witnesses.
    Reasoning

2. Hiding magic in plain sight
    When does it apply

Disbelief and unravelling

Imbued items

How to mitigate paradox

Backlash

Vincent Winter
    Xisdor Philip Crosen
    Orianna Aurora
    Fedup Corn
    Delatdream Witch
    ragnarokxg Eidolon
    Stray Joyeuse
    Miliham St. George
    Lionell Salem
    ReubanBrightwood Chambers
    Reuban Brigh

2. Likes , Lionell liked this post

A few more questions that have come through that are worth addressing.

1. For precast spells when does Paradox accumulation reset?

So firstly the difference between these and rituals is important. Rituals go in your character sheet. These are spell cast regular with longer durations, and need to be included in your first post.

Spells -- Spells cast using duration factors may be assumed to be cast in advance, but not in excess of the time allowed by the penalty noted in the dice roller. Note that aforementioned spells cast in-scene are potentially visible by all characters present, and in public this may include Sleepers.

But what does this mean for Paradox? Because Paradox resets between each scene can you just precast a bunch of vulgar spells and then reset your paradox?

No.

If you want your paradox reset use rituals. They don't count against it.

Any spell cast regularly be it precast or in the scene itself still counts against paradox for that scene (because it is done in that first post). Precast spells have the benefit of meaning you are prepared and protected. You don't get free paradox.

------------------------------------------------
    Second question

How will I handle missed paradox rolls. -- A good question to resolve before it is needed actually.

If I have to roll it for you I will roll the paradox (minimum one dice even if it should be a chance dice normally).

I will not declare backlash
    I will not spend mana
    I will not use your tool
    etc.

Then I will narrate what happens.
    Reuban Brigh

+ Reply to Thread