A Couple of Party-Style Hacks

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

Derek accepts the card and looks at it, his eyebrows raising with interest.

"Hmm. I had a thought of starting a business for myself in town. I'm assuming there's no physical location, at least not until you've grown within the community. But I imagine if I were associated, the powers that be may overlook it. Count me interested."

Not for the money of course, but for keeping a foot inside the industry. Though he's curious if Edward is just trying to keep Derek under closer observation.

Turn 4, Derek's Warrior 3suxx
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-10-06 23:37:50 Derek Menzies rolls 7 to contest with program Warrior, Turn 4 [INT+Computers] (10 Again) 9, 7, 10, 3, 1, 6, 10, 6, 2 3 successes

"I might have some clientele to suggest. There are a lot of companies in dire need of updating their server defenses. Actually, I wonder, have you ever done consultation work for online banking security?"

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Daeva Vice: Wrath
    Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

"Glad to hear it, and as you suspect, there is no physical location yet. When the time comes to petition for such a place, your support will be appreciated." Progress.

Edward glanced idly at the game, no real change.

3 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-10-07 21:38:55 Edward Heinrich rolls 8 to play Core Wars [INT+Computers] (10 Again) 8, 1, 9, 9, 2, 5, 1, 2 3 successes
    No score change.

"Once, two years ago." Earlier than that, banks did one background check and wrote Edward off. "Good idea. If you send me a list, I will contact them. Do you have experience in the sector?" Previous contacts would be useful to leverage. Although Edward suspected if Derek had experience with online banking security, it wouldn't be the kind they would want to publicize.

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

Turn 5, Derek's Warrior 4suxx
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-10-09 09:03:52 Derek Menzies rolls 7 to contest with program Warrior, Turn 5 [INT+Computers] (10 Again) 10, 9, 10, 2, 5, 3, 3, 10, 6, 6 4 successes

"Some. But not as a consultant. It's what has kept me living quite comfortably for the past few years. I have contacts in finance and networks that afford me a lucrative means. But the reason I brought up online banking is that it has to do with the project I had in mind. Getting closer to clientele like that may give us a window to help our community."

He takes another few bites of his burger and returns his attention to the game.

"You've had me on the ropes here for a bit. What sort of strategy did you employ in your design?"

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

"Good to hear." Edward seemed genuinely happy to hear of Derek's success, "I have no doubt it will, given careful tending and time."

4 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-10-10 22:59:27 Edward Heinrich rolls 8 to play Core Wars [INT+Computers] (10 Again) 3, 8, 9, 5, 9, 10, 6, 7, 7 4 successes
    No score change.

"It would seem so! Although the lack of progress worries me, the strategy has something of a slow start." He hadn't watched the game carefully enough to deduce Derek's approach, Edward guessed Derek also had a late-game focus. It could be a coincidence, however.

"I've adjusted Blacken, by Ian Oversby, by adding on some of the later developments in Vampires. It seemed thematic." Edward smiled, as though slightly embarrassed, "a standard Stone strategy with the vector field imp propagation alternating with setting Vampire Pits. And yourself?"

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

"Ah, I see. That's your advantage, your familiarity with the game's history and the success of its top players. I went with a replicator strategy, which might explain the length of the battle. Though if you went with a stone, then I suppose that is in my favor." Though somehow it isn't all that comforting, given his lagging behind on territory.

"You'll find that I tend to prioritize survival over a decisive victory. Victory itself is a subjective term. We set goals and then adapt to see those goals to fruition. But we must make concessions along the way so that the core of our intent endures. Do you have a philosophy that you care to adhere to, Edward?"

Turn 6, Derek's Warrior 3suxx
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-10-11 09:10:31 Derek Menzies rolls 7 to contest with program Warrior, Turn 6 [INT+Computers] (10 Again) 1, 6, 3, 1, 10, 8, 6, 8 3 successes

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

But even as Derek spoke, Edward saw his Warrior lose inch by inch, giving ground grudgingly to Derek's Warrior. If it kept up, the sides would equalize. "I'd like to think that what I've lost to youthful creativity I've gained in the way of experience." Edward smiled ruefully. "The counter or the late game?" he mused rhetorically.

2 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-10-12 13:08:42 Edward Heinrich rolls 8 to play Core Wars [INT+Computers] (10 Again) 2, 5, 9, 9, 7, 2, 7, 5 2 successes
    Edward has a one success lead.

The eternal problem, to dredge the depths of your heart and force the writhing mass of passion and memory into systematic philosophy; or, to signal adherence to something swallowable. So much easier to do the latter, so much more painful to do the former. But, it was essential to give something real back, a pure signal of adherence would taste too much like a rebuff.

"There so few times in life that your enemies array themselves such that destruction is even conceivable, I'm a greedy man, noticing such a chance I cannot help but grasp at their annihilation. Your way is likely the wiser." One part unarticulated something taking form, one part bittersweet anger, one part social signalling. Edward observed Derek for a reaction. There was a slight closing up that occurred when one comes on too strong, and it was critical not to miss such a sign — such a delicate balance.

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

"Nothing risked, nothing gained, as they say. While my way may be wiser, it is also more predictable. Irrational enemies are much harder to account for," Derek counts, feigning indifference against any perceived subtext.

Turn 7, Derek's Warrior 4suxx
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-10-14 09:11:33 Derek Menzies rolls 7 to contest with program Warrior, Turn 7 [INT+Computers] (10 Again) 7, 1, 3, 6, 9, 10, 8, 9 4 successes

10 suxx lead seems like it may take a while at this point! If we're going by extended contested rules, Derek has reached his dice pool limit for extended actions. I think it would be fair if Edward took two more rolls and we count total successes to determine a victor?

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

Sounds good to me, I'll do both now.

2 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-10-15 21:07:29 Edward Heinrich rolls 8 to play Core Wars [INT+Computers] (10 Again) 8, 7, 4, 1, 9, 3, 4, 6 2 successes
      1 success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-10-15 21:07:54 Edward Heinrich rolls 8 to play Core Wars [INT+Computers] (10 Again) 1, 7, 7, 5, 6, 7, 1, 10, 1 1 success
    Edward nods, turning to look at the game. He watched as his lead slowly slipped away, and became a standstill. It was so close it was worth a look at memory count — dead even. Edward whistled, "there's a rare sight, livelocks are common enough, but completely even is rare. Very nicely done." He drained the last of his coffee, it was one of the few things that he still enjoyed, the smell being almost all of the flavour.

"Care for a walk? We can discuss the project you were thinking of bringing me in on."

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

A draw. It is telling, or perhaps even an omen if one were superstitious. In any case, Derek is impressed and pleased. There would be no hard feelings. But neither would leave completely satisfied either. All this laying the foundations of a rematch.

"Thank you. Well fought. I admit, this is very fun. My mind is already considering some alterations to my strategy. But a walk sound perfect."

Derek offers to foot the bill, though doesn't insist if Edward wishes to cover his meal. After paying, he then gathers his things and slings his laptop bag over his shoulder and proceeds to the exit and onto the sidewalk thoroughfare. The presence of Kine and the movement of traffic in the well-lit city streets reminds Derek to be wary of the Herd. While many inviting shadowed alleys criss cross like dark veins, the conversation they are to have should remain subtle.

"At risk of sounding like an alarmist or paranoid, I should start by saying that the issue I wish to discuss is dangerous even if we were not who we are. The company I wish to investigate has become very powerful and very influential, so let us avoid using its name for the moment."

Even as he says this his voice lowers significantly and his eyes dart around carefully, looking for anyone that might be listening in or taking a particular interest in the two men.

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Edward Heinrich Scenes

(Enhanced Hearing)Vitae 1 Spent
    PRE

Edward grinned, "I'm glad you think so! I look forward to seeing your refined warrior."

Edward accepts Derek's offer, and they head outside.

"Very good," Edward agreed, and with each word, his voice grew softer, "Tell me what you can." He tapped his ear. "always good to make it harder for unwanted audiences. Your other precautions should, of course, be maintained." He finished with a voice so low the unenhanced would need an ear to his lips to make it out.

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread