Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1
    Active Spells: 3/5
    Personal Spells: 3/1

[2R] Analyze Artefact (Deep Scrutiny of Artefacts, Prolonged, 1 scene)
    [4R] Dark Matter (Matter Sight, Prolonged, 1 scene)
    [2R] One Mind, Two Thoughts (Prolonged, 1 scene)

Tangled Threads

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 4
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1
    Active Spells: 3/5
    Personal Spells: 1/3

[4] Aura Perception (Concentration, 1 scene)

[5] Third Eye (Mind Sight, Prolonged, 1 scene)

[2R] Unseen Aegis (Armor, 1 scene)

PRE

Campanella is... trapped.

His hand reflexively digs into the book he has been holding, knuckles white.

He closes his eyes and exhales (or perhaps has the air forced from his lungs). The Sentinel has responded, perhaps correctly but definitely against the laws of the Awakened Nation. Other voices, too, now add to the slowly building cacophony; and he, the Hierarch, must do something.

He is trapped. Cosmo, the Thearch, speaks true: honour, enmity, position, Hallows and Artefacts - all things are open to the Duel Arcane. Had this been the Libertine's plan all along? First, the damned cameras; then a move against Winter; would the Libertine next lay claim to what few objects Campanella had scoured from Sacramento's barren field? Where not the Libertine's gathering in strength with each new Consilium meeting? Campanella's mind whirled.

Focus!

"Shodan has the right to lay the challenge, Winter. We must accept the Law, for what are we without it?"

The Hierarch opened his eyes slowly, schooling his features into a blank mask. He lets go of the book on the lectern, letting his fingers idle as they slide off the cover.

"Will you rescind your comments, or must I perform the rite?"

He would square the circle himself. He had no choice in the matter.

And book keeping : -

Date Action Roll Result
    2019-10-22 07:09:52 Campy is hiding his emotions rolls 7 to Manipulation + Subterfuge (10 Again, WillPower) 8, 9, 5, 1, 3, 1, 7 2 successes

For those who want to peek at what Campanella is really feeling right now.
    Campanella|Moros|Mysterium
    Gnosis: 4
    Occult Skill: 3

2. Likes DeepSeas, Ruach, Xander liked this post
    Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), pair of daggers, tonfa, Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), motorcycle (street bike)
    Phoenyx

Nimbus: a pair of fiery scarlet wings unfurl her with an eagle's screech.
    Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Armour - 3/2 (Life/2, Trenchcoat)
    Health: Matriarch - 1B/7
    Willpower 3/3
    Mana: 9/9
    Vulgars Cast: 0
    Personal Spells 2/3
    [6] Supernal Vision (Monthly Ritual)
    [5$] 2E Life Shield (Monthly Ritual)
    Active spells: 3/7
    [3$] Complex Transmission

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), 2 spare clips, pair of daggers (one is magical focus), Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), Purse ($57, gun permit, driving license)
    Phoenyx Scenes

PRE

Phoenyx watched as the conversation left the Seer beacon and swiftly barreled towards the long-running emnity between Shodan and Winter finally coming to a head.

Agreeing with Cosmo on any ground felt a little peculiar, but reassuring. The Concillium needed consistent law, and fortunately Campenella decided the same.

There were enough voices, rather than he adding to the dischord without purpose.

The First Talon watched and waited with interest, a smile tugging at her lips. Challenge brought growth, a fundamental core of Arrow philosophy. Hopefully Winter would accept, and it would be a rare opportunity to see two of the members of the Concillium demonstrate their prowess.
    Obrimos Adamantine Arrow, Cloaked Monthly Rits (in minisheet)

4. Likes DeepSeas, Ruach liked this post

Alexander Greyson
    Striking Looks
    ((Intense))
    Spark

Nimbus: His eyes spark with Electricity and blue arcs of energy play between his fingers and runs up and down his arms.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Spark was leaning forward in his seat, watching and listening with rapt attention. He hadn't been here long, but Winter looked like the type of guy you avoided fighting if you were smart. He wasn't sure what Shodan was capable of, but he didn't look the part of 'super dangerous mage' but then again a lot of things seemed benign till you put them a corner so who knew?

Then the Heiarch spoke, and Spark's eyebrow rose. The man hid it well, but the Prime Mover caught something, be it a slight tremble in his voice, the tightening of his fist. Or a slight crack in his mask, something told Spark that Campanella wasn't as calm as he let on. Spark had a choice with what to do with this information so he leaned forward and in his most diplomatic voice he spoke.

"What about under supervision? Have someone from another Order there when the Free Council wants a look? I'm new here but I think the general idea is it's us against the seers. If we can all gain some knowledge or insight from studying this artifact that strengthens us all."

3 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-10-22 20:12:03 Spark rolls 5 to Perception on the Heiarch (10 Again) 10, 1, 7, 10, 3, 1, 8 3 successes

6. Likes Yumyumcrow, Ruach liked this post
    Winter
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Education
    (West Point Grad)
    Occultation
    Winter

Nimbus

Dark shadows scatter in ordered symmetrical patterns traversed by a crackling pallid silver light that wraps Winter in a pleasantly numbing and icy coldness.
    When vulgar magic is cast, the frequency of the oscillation of the dark fluid surges until the shadows arrange themselves in a solid black halo around Winter's head, the white light darkens into a fiery black sunlight and his eyes are set ablaze with vivid incandescence.
    Stats

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor: 1(General)/2(Ballistic)
    Defense: 3

Active Spells: 1/6
    Incognito Presence (Mind 2) Rote, Scene, Pot[1]

(WP-SpotL + Perfect TimingClk+ OratShodan)Willpower 2 Spent
    OCC
    PRE

Weak. The Hierarch had been dealt a poor hand, but the hurry with which he had sacrificed the mission of an Order whose practices were rooted into the Dream to bulk under the pressure wrought by the Free Council, somehow surprised the Guardian. All Thrones are False, he thought. He shouldn't have forgotten that.Time and time again the Guardians were called to make the unpopular decision, alone they mounted guard against the barbarians at the gate, forsaking everything - even their honor - for their duty. This time, the Hierarch had chosen to put Tradition above Merit. The Guardian had a different point of view.
    A selective enforcement of tradition if any, he thought. Diamond exactly, not Pentacle.

Then the other Libertine talks, and while the Sentinel acknowledges his words, he still has a challenge to honor.
    "Young Man, the Hierarch requested for the item to be displayed within the Circle and for a public examination to be arranged. As I have no right to deny or grant access to the communal areas, I can't object to your presence. I can however - and that was the point - deny the use of the device in question without pre-arranged supervision".
    He glances at the Hierarch, then at Spark again. "Nevertheless, Magus Shodan has issued a challenge. Which I cannot ignore", he looks up to Cosmo, "because we respect our Traditions", he clears his throat and snaps his fingers.

"Today Magus Shodan issued forth a challenge for the possession of an imbued item recently acquired by the Guardians. Granted that the item is in possession of my Order, I would normally waive his request on the ground that a Duel is a ritual solution to personal disputes among the Awakened rather than a tool to define Order relations",
    he clicks his tongue.
    "Nevertheless, it can't be denied that I'm the highest ranked Agent of the Visus within this Consilium. It is therefore left to my wisdom and discretion to assess the relative worth of a challenge. Thus, I acknowledge the importance of the Duel, and implicitly the weight of Magus Shodan's request. It is, however, well within the Guardian's rights to demand fairness. Without skin in the game a challenger could recklessly challenge our members, once for each sliver of knowledge they intend to retrieve, putting more and more of the Mysteries in danger, at no cost for himself. Wisdom is a collective virtue among our ranks as much as it is a private affair, and as such, the community must policy its own",
    he says, jerking his neck to the side as he addresses the Hierarch, "Does the Hierarch agree with this assessment?" The matter touched the Mysterium even deeper than the Guardians. For in Sacramento, they had a lot more to lose than they did. Then he clears his throat and addresses Shodan directly.

"In that case, let my conditions be recorded. I, Magus Winter, Scion of the Watchtower of the Golden Key in the Realm of the Aether shall accept Magus Shodan's request of a duel arcane. Contingent on the condition of my loss, I agree to transfer the current material possession of the Statuette and its associated control Disk - as witnessed by Magus Cosmo and Magus Phoenyx at the time - to the Free Council of Sacramento, here represented by Shodan himself. Any present and future dispute concerning the Item will be addressed with this duel, and both parties will stand by the outcome, thus forfeiting any future actions in the matter.
    In the case of my victory however, the Guardians demand that the Free Council transfer ownership of an equally valuable Mystery. Either in the form of an imbued item of similar worth - appraised by the Hierarch and with the assistance of an Enchanter and her divinations - or with the transfer to the Guardians of the ownership of Hallow of equal worth",
    he moves toward Shodan, right arm outstretched. In his pocket, the finger of his left hand have snapped, the wheel of time has spoken, "In for a penny, in for a pound my friend. I will respect your challenge and honor the conviction behind your words", ready to shake hands, "If you agree, the duel will take place during the next session of this Consilium. By Midnight"
    Perhaps he had convinced him, or maybe not. The Guardian couldn't tell. What he knew was that everything was in Shodan's hands now. Had he really coveted the item, then the Guardian thought he'd have no second thought about putting his money where his mouth and heart were.

3 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-10-24 06:43:21 Winter rolls 8 to Spot Lies (10 Again, WillPower) 3, 9, 1, 2, 9, 2, 7, 8 3 successes
      3 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-10-24 08:30:27 Winter rolls 7 to Perfect Timing (10 Again) 4, 10, 6, 10, 7, 9, 7, 3, 2 3 successes
      failure
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-10-24 08:33:41 Winter rolls 7 to Pitching Shodan (Manip + Pers + PT - Pen + WP) (10 Again, WillPower) 4, 4, 7, 6, 1, 1, 6 failure

8. Likes West, Yumyumcrow, Ruach, DeepSeas liked this post
    Winter
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Education
    (West Point Grad)
    Occultation
    Winter

Nimbus

Dark shadows scatter in ordered symmetrical patterns traversed by a crackling pallid silver light that wraps Winter in a pleasantly numbing and icy coldness.
    When vulgar magic is cast, the frequency of the oscillation of the dark fluid surges until the shadows arrange themselves in a solid black halo around Winter's head, the white light darkens into a fiery black sunlight and his eyes are set ablaze with vivid incandescence.
    Stats

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:

(PerfectTiming + Cloak)Mana 2 Spent
    OCC
    PRE

Mana for Bookkeping

S
    Shodan

2 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-10-24 09:22:18 Shodan rolls 6 to Read Winter (Wits+Empathy) (10 Again) 5, 10, 1, 5, 2, 2, 9 2 successes

3 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-10-23 02:23:08 Shodan rolls 6 to Read the Hierarch (Wits + Empathy) (10 Again) 7, 7, 10, 8, 2, 8, 5 3 successes

Shodan is trying to discern Winter's emotional state. As stated, the second roll is to read Campanella. I'll write up an answer according to both rolls' results once Winter rolls Resistance Vincent

Alexander Greyson
    Striking Looks
    ((Intense))
    Spark

Nimbus: His eyes spark with Electricity and blue arcs of energy play between his fingers and runs up and down his arms.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Spark couldn't hid his surprise at the Guardian's words. If they already had access to the Statuette why was obtaining it exclusively so important? The newcomer wasn't that aware of Shodan's plans, but with the formal challenge made he wasn't sure what he could add or do to try to put the brakes on this whole shit storm. He rubbed at his temples, unknowingly starting to feel as trapped as Campenalla had.

Great...even if I convince Shodan to back down now that just makes the council look weak. What the hell am I supposed to do? Do we even have an imbued item valuable? I sure as hell don't.

In the end Spark decided he had to try to keep the peace anyways, he leaned next to Shodan, back to the guardian and spoke in hushed tones to the other Libertine. "Is this really necessary? We already have access to it we don't need to own it outright. This isn't a fight worth picking."

1 success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-10-24 13:02:21 Spark rolls 2 to Speak in hushed tones (Comp + Subterfuge) (10 Again) 8, 5 1 success

1 success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-10-24 13:03:39 Spark rolls 4 to tries to talk Shodan down (manip + Empathy) (10 Again) 10, 4, 7, 4, 6 1 success

12. Likes Ruach liked this post
    Winter
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Education
    (West Point Grad)
    Occultation
    Winter

Nimbus

Stats

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:

(PerfectTiming)Mana 1 Spent
    OCC
    PRE

The Guardian clenches his jaw as the strands of mana unravel around him, of all moments, the fickle mistress had to abandon him exactly now. He keeps his hand midair and extended toward the Libertine, but despite his stoic demeanor, there appears to be a crack. He appears far too eager and high spirited, especially when he had been so adamant on denying the merit of the challenge just a minute or two ago. And while he feigns offense, there's the root of a smirk tugging at the corners of his mouth.

failure
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-10-24 17:45:05 Winter rolls 7 to Perfect Timing (10 Again) 6, 6, 4, 5, 4, 2, 7 failure
      1 success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-10-24 17:47:05 Winter rolls 4 to Trust No One (10 Again) 5, 7, 4, 8 1 success

14. Likes Ruach liked this post
    S
    Shodan

There is a lot that happens in the span of just a few short minutes. The refusal of a challenge. An unexpected support from Cosmo, who rolls out the legal argument and provides a sense of impartiality to the whole thing, although Shodan must wonder if the Thearch is a principled individual or just plays his own game against the Sentinel. What October says - and that one really stung. What the big deal is? How could she fall for Winter's lies so easily!? Mobius' nervous words were mostly ignored as inconsequential. A severe case of tunnel vision, that.

Campanella receives a lot more of the Libertine's attention, as he proclaims his verdict, showing signs of preocuppation, perhaps even nervousness - and the fact that he almost managed to hide it is telling in itself. What made the Hierarch so shaken? Shodan intends to find out - in private, after he's done with the Duel business.

And then Winter speaks. Shodan's eyes narrow with every sentence the Guardian utters, his face turning into a rigid mask of disbelief, anger and pride. "Wow..." is all he manages to utter in the first moment.

"You. Are. Unbelievable" Who did he think he was? "Ever since I came here, you do nothing but disparage me and my Order. You publicly insult me. You agree to share the golem the Arrows had recovered and then shut me out. You threaten to put me in the Circle's catacombs if I don't do what you say" He needs to catch his breath. Winter's audacity is just too much to bear "Even today you hurl insults at the Free Council, only to deny it its place at the artifacts' examination because I didn't wilt under your bullshit, childish name-calling. You snub my challenge and then, when it's obvious you can't weasel your way out of it, you dare to make demands and call me 'friend'" Shodan's eyes shoot towards the extended hand, as if he's noticed it for the first time. He doesn't shake it, of course

"Don't think I can't see through you. Don't think I forgot for one second that the only item you had a hand in recovering was the disc. Fuck, even now you have that stupid condescending smirk on your face, while you try to convince everyone you're the reasonable one" If he had any doubts whether challenging Winter was the smart thing to do, they are gone now. The effect might be purely psychological, or it might be brain chemicals doing their job. Shodan doesn't know, doesn't care. Good thing there are no sharp objects in the immediate vicinity.

"It is for these insults that I demand restitution. And the challenge, from the very beginning, was not just about the disc and statuette. It was about the golem as well. And the beacon. None of which are exclusively yours. I don't need to offer you anything in exchange, because you've evened the scales yourself. These terms are not up for negotiation" Still, he looks towards Campanella to officially approve. He might be feeling like tearing the Guardian's lungs out right about now, but even so - he owes the Moros some loyalty.

And as for Spark's feeble attempt to defuse the situation? Shodan barely notices, answering nothing. It's way beyond a simple handshake now.

1 success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-10-24 13:33:03 Shodan rolls 8 to No reasoning with this guy (Wits+Resolve) (10 Again, WillPower) 9, 1, 4, 6, 1, 3, 5, 1 1 success

Shodan resists Spark's roll, as ties go to the defender. I also request the refresh of a spent Willpower point, since Shodan followed his Vice of Pride Yumyumcrow

Winter
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Education
    (West Point Grad)
    Occultation
    Winter

Nimbus

Stats

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:

OCC
    PRE

"Tsk, so much for Tradition", he retracts his arm, his neck snaps in the Hierarch's direction. "Let it be known that Magus Shodan refused my terms and has shown utter contempt both for my offer and the Duel own rules. Under the Law of The Sword I'm under no obligation to accept his challenge. Shodan, either accept the conditions that you were given or I shall presume that your challenge was never genuine", a Poker player Shodan was not.
    To add insult to injury, the Guardian kept offering the Libertine his best shit-eating grin.
    "Besides, you're not making much sense. I possess no beacon, and I never forbid access to any Golem. What a waste of time", he mumbles as he goes back to his bench. "So much for Tradition"

17. Likes West liked this post
Page 6 of 8 First ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Last
Closed Thread