(Finance)
    Barfly
    Contacts
    (Finance)
    Status
    (Master's Degree)
    Aiden Whitney

PRE

Every word that Thomas oozes out to Lenora causes Aiden's face to darken more and more. The sheer disrespect of it all.

Still it wasn't surprising. Nor was Jacque's reaction. They were notable members of the Domain who sought to lead the clan, and ultimately were unsuccessful. Newcomers took what they viewed as rightfully theirs. Moreover, they were Lords. Yielding wasn't exactly in their nature.

Regardless, the behavior couldn't be allowed to stand. If they could disrespect the Priscus with impunity, Aiden would be eaten alive.

Then she laughed. Just before Aiden could speak, Lenora cut through the posturing with a laugh of her own. She spoke with authority, and did not yield. The lingering threat at the end wasn't as forceful as Thomas', but it cut a clear line. Far be it from Aiden to try and add a further tongue lashing.

In an effort to support the threat, Aiden rose from his chair and moved to the door. A cold hand rested on the knob, and once again his face darkened into a wicked form. Aiden's eyes bore into Thomas with menacing intent.

1 success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-09-19 22:46:21 Aiden Whitney rolls 8 to Stare 'Em Down (10 Again, WillPower) 6, 2, 6, 3, 5, 10, 6, 3, 1 1 success

2019-09-19 22:46:21

"Enough."

Enough of the disrespect. Enough with the mood swings. Enough of the maddening behavior.

At this point Aiden held the door open. If Thomas accepted Lenora's offer the door would close, but if he didn't Thomas' exit would be that much faster. The choice was out of Aiden's hands.

T
    Thomas Boyle

A staring contest? How quaint. Thomas stares right back at Aiden, his face showing no emotion - and certainly, no effects of a successful coercion.

1 success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-09-19 23:41:31 [02] Thomas Boyle rolls 5 to Resist intimidation (Resolve + Wits) (10 Again) 5, 9, 6, 1, 3 1 success

3 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-09-19 23:41:31 [01] Thomas Boyle rolls 5 to Resist intimidation (Resolve + Wits) (10 Again) 9, 10, 1, 5, 9, 7 3 successes

"Whip Whitney, please close the door" There's certianly a joke to be made here about the man acting like a valet to Thomas, but ultimately the Malkovian decided further aggravation is not what he's seeking. Indeed, there's a profound change in the Hierophant's tone and posture. Where it's been relaxed to the point of dismissiveness before, now the Ventrue is showing respect for his clan's officers. Respect born not out of fear, but of genuine appreaciation.

Finally, after that stupid bitch Simmons and her Play Doh Whip finally someone worthy of the Ventrue blood

That's weird praise coming from you, isn't it - heir of Malkov? A piece of Thomas latest vessel's mind suddenly chimes in.

Shut up, would you kindly? I'm working here

"Priscus, with all due respect..."

Why does everyone saying 'with all due respect' really mean 'kiss my ass'?

I told you to shut up

"... what I'm doing here, from the moment I went through the door, is about everyone else but me. In the absence of any notable deeds you or Whip Whitney performed in this Domain, I had to see for myself if you are both as stalwart as you claim to be. To sate my own curiosity, true, but also to play devil's advocate - and allow you to realize your own strengths and weaknesses. This is not hostility or lack of control - this is me trusting you to overcome the hardships and come out stronger for it. Congratulations, you passed and earned my loyalty" He smiles, content.

It's as if the clouds had parted with Thomas' gait and voice. Now it's much lighter, less guarded, less... vitriolic.

"I'm not your enemy because I'm telling you things you don't want to hear. I am your ally because I tell you things you need to hear"

And with that, Thomas extends a hand for the shaking - first to his Priscus, then to his Whip. Wondering if either of them will take it. Those with a keen eye will perhaps notice that not once throughout this little exchange has Thomas lost his composure, missed a beat. He flows freely from threats to deflecting counter-attacks to honeyed words and everything inbetween. As if all are just a part of the bigger whole. As if he's gone through - or seen - this routine more than once.

7 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-09-19 23:43:46 Thomas Boyle rolls 9 to Smooth things over (Fast-Talk) (10 Again, WillPower) 10, 6, 9, 8, 6, 3, 9, 10, 6, 8, 9 7 successes

1 success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-09-19 23:45:10 [01] Thomas Boyle rolls 6 to Smooth things over (Fast-Talk) - Aiden (10 Again) 1, 2, 6, 9, 1, 1 1 success

Thomas is trying to convince Lenora and Aiden that he is, in truth, on their side, and that all his tonight's actions show this. Please make a Composure+Subterfuge roll.

Lenora Black | Public: Lenore Greene
    New Identity
    (Lenore Greene)
    Striking Looks
    (Comely)
    Presence
    (Winsome)
    Allies
    (Judicial)
    Allies
    (Culture)
    Lenora

+1
    SL
    PRE

Date Action Roll Result
    2019-09-21 17:22:20 Lenora rolls 4 to see if Thomas is being dishonest (10 Again) 10, 5, 3, 9, 8 3 successes

Lenora is rolling to see if Thomas is being dishonest. Her response is dependent on the result so please be patient. Woland Thomas Boyle Please roll if Thomas is lying. If he is being honest, let me know!

T
    Thomas Boyle

Lenora is adept at picking the smallest signs of deception - so she can say with absolute certainty there are none to be found here. Thomas has the effortless tone and body language of someone confident in the strength and rightness of his beliefs. Certainly, his words are crafted to present Thomas' case in an appealing way, but this doesn't change the fact that every single phrase is genuine. In other words, this Lord exhibits all the characteristics of a religious leader that he is.

Likewise, the newly-formed respect for both Lenora and Aiden doesn't appear forced or feigned - it's really there.

Let me know if there's anything else you feel Lenora'd know, and I'll amend as needed

Twist Scenes

Please hold for Woland to rewrite Thomas' subterfuge detection. After review of the thread and other supporting documents it is determined that Thomas' fast talk was actually a subterfuge attempt. Objectively, it looks like Thomas fell short in a power play and is now trying to save face. It should be represented that way in the roll.

Correcting the dice pool for the fast talk roll 82302 would leave one success (manipulation and subterfuge = 1 die)
      1 success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-09-19 23:43:46 Thomas Boyle rolls 9 to Smooth things over (Fast-Talk) (10 Again, WillPower) 10, 6, 9, 8, 6, 3, 9, 10, 6, 8, 9 7 successes

Furthermore, people have gotten extremely lazy across the venue and the site in general with documenting spends with the power icons. I will be writing another post on this later but the rule is and has always been "If you don't document it then it didn't happen." This is why the WP from that dice roll was also removed.

6. Likes Xander liked this post
    T
    Thomas Boyle

As Thomas tries to sell his "It was just a test" speech, he can tell that it was falling on deaf ears. Sensing he's painted himself into a corner he takes the one way out that was offered- the door.

Thomas leaves the scene and, for the moment, the venue

Corrected. Everyone else -- please continue Jacque Aiden Whitney Lenora

Lenora Black | Public: Lenore Greene
    New Identity
    (Lenore Greene)
    Striking Looks
    (Comely)
    Presence
    (Winsome)
    Allies
    (Judicial)
    Allies
    (Culture)
    Lenora

+1
    SL
    PRE

At Thomas’ speech, Lenora’s eyes narrowed and a light frown decorated her lips. Black knew the man was lying. Lenora’s face said as much, as this was not a moment for subtlety. It seemed Thomas recognized as much as well, as he departed without even a word, in effect denying the resolution Lenora had offered via the system of Prestation.

Lenora’s eyes remain locked on the door for a long moment before she finally speaks.

“Whip Whitney,” she says, “In the absence of a Harpy I believe it prudent that we make note that Mr. Boyle has chosen to leave the meeting rather than resolve our dispute with Prestation as offered. Please make note of it.”

Then she turned her head to Jacque .

“Herald, it seems I owe you an apology. That man is wholly unreasonable,” she offers, her tone slightly tired, “With this revelation in mind, do you wish to take the seat? Mr. Boyle’s departure has proven your argument to be the correct one.”

Then a glance to Aiden Whitney , “While you may disagree with the offer, let me remind you that it may be beneficial to have a more established Lord in the role than myself and, by lying to me and subsequently departing when he realized it failed, the Herald’s claim of Boyle’s nature has born some fruit.”

Leaning back into her seat, Lenora let out a sigh.

“However, should you choose to deny the seat, I will remain in it through my probationary period,” she says, “If only to prove to the Domain our family is unified. The Clan of Kings is not weak and we must show them we can come to a consensus.”

Lenora liked the idea of the title, but she knew she was not likely to retain much influence over Jacque. After all, the exit had proven the Herald right. If she remained Priscus, it would merely be an honorific. If Jacque was Priscus, at least it would mean something. Thus, the olive branch was extended.

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

Educated, scholarly, lawyer, scientist.
    Jack's outward demeanor and tone are a baseline of respectful and calculated.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Dead eyes wandered across all the moving pieces. Lenora being respectfully firm, Aiden holding the door open and finally Thomas, declaring himself an ally of a clan he just spent the whole evening trying to divide. The very thought was so laughable that he took a moment to stifle a chuckle.

1 success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-09-23 22:56:46 Jacque rolls 6 to detect lies/deception (WIT+SUB) (10 Again) 6, 5, 10, 7, 6, 4, 1 1 success
      3 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-09-23 22:57:45 Jacque rolls 4 to stifle a chuckle (resolve+composure) (10 Again) 8, 8, 8, 7 3 successes

Then came Lenora's unexpected apology... and subsequent offer which Jacque carefully considered before waiving his hand dismissively, "There is nothing to forgive. The Crone have a saying, 'Tribulation brings enlightenment' and your handling of Mister Boyle's little stunt has left me even more confident of your ability to act as Priscus. I see no reason to deviate from the plan we all agreed upon." A pause is offered before adding, "However, I do share your concern on the Domain's view of the clan appointing both a Priscus who has been here a month supported by a Whip who has been here merely a week. Whether you wish to revisit that decision before we adjourn is your privilege, Priscus Black." He looks to Aiden, "This is of no disrespect to you, of course. I simply suggest giving the bystanders as few reasons to probe as possible and an established Whip supporting a fresh face would help deter that."

Blood Hunt:

Aiden Whitney
    Presence
    (Charming)
    Allies
    (Finance)
    Barfly
    Contacts
    (Finance)
    Status
    (Master's Degree)
    Aiden Whitney

PRE

The door closes gently behind Thomas as he makes his exit. "Well that settles that," Aiden said as he returned to his chair. A nod was given to Lenora at her instructions on prestration.

As she offers Jacque the position of Priscus, and then he counters, Aiden sits quietly ruminating on the position. His tongue gently rubbed on his left incisor.

"If we are speaking of appearances then the position should go to our senior member." A hand to Jacque. "If I am replaced, but Priscus Black is not, it will give a clear image of the Herald being the power behind the familial throne." The other hand to Lenora. "Personally, I have no desire to rehash the debates of the evening. I will respect whoever leaves this room as Priscus, regardless of whether or not I remain Whip." Then his hands fold in on themselves. "I believe myself more than capable of fulfilling the duties of Whip, and would like to retain the position, but the Whip serves at the pleasure of the Priscus. Without complaint or tantrum."

The good of the clan was certainly a concern for Aiden, but he was still a Lord. He couldn't just roll over.

With that he sat back in his chair, a slight smile on his lips, and eyes eagerly awaiting Lenora's decision.

Page 5 of 6 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 Last
Closed Thread