A meeting of the Lords

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 2 of 6 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 Last
    T
    Thomas Boyle

Exceptional Empathy!
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-09-12 02:03:13 Thomas Boyle rolls 5 to Read Lenora (10 Again) 10, 4, 8, 10, 7, 8, 9 5 successes

Thomas attempts to read Lenora's emotions and attitude to what was said. The information may influence my proper response, please be patient Lenora Stray

Lenora Black | Public: Lenore Greene
    New Identity
    (Lenore Greene)
    Striking Looks
    (Comely)
    Presence
    (Winsome)
    Allies
    (Judicial)
    Allies
    (Culture)
    Lenora

+1
    SL
    PRE

Thomas is able to read Lenora's view exceptionally well, noting slight frowns and other deviations from her stoic mask.

To put it simply, Lenora appears to accept and understand the use of the phone call, but is disturbed by how quickly the Herald chose to bring the Prince into the matter. In this way, she is suspicious of the Herald's character and his campaign. As her inquiry also suggests she wonders if he will repeat these actions whenever he sees the opportunity.

Her request for Thomas' rebuttal is sincere, as she believes he has the right to it. Therefore, she does not believe she knows enough about either Thomas or Jack in order to make an informed decision. That said, despite her worries regarding the Herald, she currently favors him as a candidate. Slightly.

T
    Thomas Boyle

Thomas sits through Jack's entire tirade and Lenora's , not saying a word, although it's clear the Malkovian is neither shaken nor stirred by the Herald's words. He is, however, focused.

Maybe I'll have use for that list of vitriol, after all...

"Mister Jack, you continue to make my case for me. From the bottom of my hear, thank you. First, you have shown your ability to miss the point completely, as nothing I said was actually disproved by the Prince" A finger went up, he's counting this mess and honestly, Thomas wonders if he even has enough fingers "Second, it's one more time when, upon being faced with the slightest pressure, you default to calling on the Domain's highest authority. That little attempt at intimidation by proxy, while adorable, wears thin pretty quickly" Another finger "Third, you twist words and paint yourself as the victim, even the martyr for all the Kindred that continue to be oh so mean to you. Have some fortitude, man" And another "Fourth, you imply that you should be credited by the achievements of others. And you cannot even keep your lies straight - if the prejudice was perceived, rather than real, what is your merit in removing it again?" There goes the fourth one "Fifth, you insist you're doing everyone favors, but curiously, the only person ever benefitting from them is yourself" The fifth and final finger rises.

"I'll give you an example! Our Whip was head over heels to be seen Acknowledging people last Court, claiming to be 'acting Priscus', or some such nonsense. But the month before that, did we see him rushing to Acknowledge you?" He turns to Lenora "No. The difference? When Mr. Whitney came in, tonight's date was much closer. I'm sorry to say Mr. Whitney, but he used you as a prop. And he'll use you again, if you let him" And if he does? That's going to be on him. Plenty of fair warnings signalled already.

"Our dear Whip [post=14431315]trades Prestation[post] in the name of his cousins and Kindred of other clans. It is beyond our Whip's understanding that inter-clan matters of honor cannot be settled by offering beer. Our Whip has not done a single thing for the Domain that didn't benefit him and him only. His attempts at diplomacy are all failures, during his tenure in clan office the Family became more fractured than before. If you want someone with a track record like that to be our representative, better prepare for all the fallout" And oh, what fallot that'll be! The Prince's favor is a fickle thing, and once he loses that Jack is back to being a nobody.

"My goodness, even Simmons all but admitted to me naming you Whip was a mistake, and her face was made of stone" He assumes an open posture of someone having confidence in the strong base of an argument, welcoming the other Lords to read him. With their eyes, if they can, with Disciplines if they dare. If they do, they'll find all statements made are facts, and all opinions heartfelt.

It may be interesting for the other attendees to note, that although so far Thomas' wors are mostly made of barbed wire his tone remains calm. It's not a politician making an argument, it's a scientist explaining how things are.

"But I'm not all about negative campaign!" The Lord's tone turns a touch more cheerful - like all Ventrue, Thomas' favorite topic is himself "I have faced lethal dangers to protect the First Tradition. Go ask Dirt Nap, he'll tell you all about it. I have single-handedly built a Temple from nothing, and in nine months time enjoyed Tenancy and hosted Court. I have offered magic and occult counsel on the Folsom threat, something Whip Jack may have forgotten, but Reeve Mitnick surely didn't. Can the Whip match that?"

Well, can he?

Aiden Whitney
    Presence
    (Charming)
    Allies
    (Finance)
    Barfly
    Contacts
    (Finance)
    Status
    (Master's Degree)
    Aiden Whitney

PRE

Lenora's reaction to Jacque garnered a raised eyebrow from Aiden, and Thomas' comments on the Prince received an almost imperceptible head nod.

"Ms. Black," There was tension in Aiden's voice as he faced Jacque. "Gives you more credit than I do." That or she didn't understand the deeper issue in the Herald's words. "You could have attempted to rebuke Mr. Boyle as he has done with you. Using his own oratory and example. Instead," Aiden began to tap his finger on the table. "You instantly called Her Majesty, supposedly to defend your good name, and then have the audacity to blame Mr. Boyle for any possible embarrassment that might follow should he be selected. How would you even be able to speak to the Prince about this meeting, after that call, without mentioning the names of everyone involved?"

Aiden did not raise his voice, but there was clearly anger in his expression. "So I can't help, but wonder, was it always your plan to involve the Prince, and then use the threat of her displeasure to try and intimidate Ms. Black and I into supporting you?" Aiden made a sweeping motion with his arm.

"I may be new to the Domain, but I am not new to bullshit." Either Jacque was sloppy and overt in his schemes, or he did not think through the consequences of his actions. Neither were desirable traits in a leader.

Then there was a sigh, and Aiden's face relaxed some. "If I risk tarnishing my reputation by refusing to back your candidacy, Herald, that is a risk I am willing to take." There was no mistake Aiden could make that couldn't be corrected in time, and he certainly would not bow to such overt attempts at blackmail simply because he was a new arrival.

Aiden's eyes moved to Lenora, and he paused for a moment as he considers how best to persuade her. "Cousin, Mr. Boyle might by...colorful, but at the very least he fights his own battles without relying on the power of someone else. We are Lords, and a Lord's strength should be their own. "

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

Educated, scholarly, lawyer, scientist.
    Jack's outward demeanor and tone are a baseline of respectful and calculated.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Jacque nodded at the thanks, followed by her first question, "I hold a belief that lies and deception are a cumulatively expensive thing. The same can be said of involving the Prince in disputes. Her Majesty is a double-edged sword and I am careful to respect that."

"For this matter, it was important to establish who is trying to take advantage of your limited tenure in Sacramento, so I provided you with testimony from the highest authority on such Domain matters," he shrugs his shoulders, "It simply was the most efficient way to provide a bedrock of truth."

He smiled through Thomas' continued deceptions, "Mister Boyle unfortunately appears to think you fools. He hides behind the fact that he did not know the whole situation but I think you are all aware of what the point of his implications were. This Domain has not been kind to people who sow discord without all the facts, has it Mister Boyle?"

He turned to Aiden, "It was not. There was no way I could know that Mister Boyle would try such a shameful thing. You heard the conversation yourself and the Prince did not press the issue of giving up a name when I asked her for anonymity. It was Mister Boyle who then revealed himself and then revealed that you both were included in the conversation. It is by his action alone that you both are revealed. He could have just as easily interjected and made it seem like a private conversation between us but no, he made it known you were here." Shaking his head, "You misunderstand. I use no threat at all, I simply impart my wisdom as to how the Prince will respond. You are of free will to use that information as you see fit." Sadly, it seemed he had already reached his conclusion so soon in the debate. Perhaps he wouldn't take his investment advice after all.

Addressing the two new Lords, "Aside from the fact he apparently is ignorant of what perceived means, if there are any of his deceptions you'd like me to illuminate with reality simply ask. I will not waste your time by rebutting each ridiculous claim he has unless either of you have some interest in it."

"As for acting in the Priscus' capacity until this meeting, the reason I did not acknowledge Ms. Black is because the Prince did not make it known that Priscus Simmons had left the Domain until after her acknowledgement. Had another Lord arrived that night after the announcement I would have served in that appropriate capacity." Turning to Aiden, "He thinks you a prop, though I'm not certain what he felt I had to gain from acknowledging one Lord instead of the Prince. I imagine if I hadn't he'd be spewing his vitriol about how I didn't fulfill my obligations as Whip too." He lifted his shoulders, you can never truly win against snakes.

Ending with a wry grin, "You have to ask.. if the Priscus felt so strongly that I was a mistake then why am I still our Whip? Oh but he didn't lie per se, he is just being clever and saying 'all BUT said', so it is of his opinion that she felt I was a mistake when her actions suggest otherwise. Convenient. If I'm such a failure at diplomacy then why am I regarded higher in the Domain than he? Mister Boyle forgets that I was the one who specifically requested he be consulted for the Folsom effort in line with our family goals."

Gesturing outward, "If I'm so terrible in my nine months, what does that make him? Ah yes.. all talk. If you two really want me to bullet out my involvements I shall, but I'm not compelled to measure fangs unless that kind of thing is important to you."

Clarification on the acknowledgement thing: Court happens on a single night at the beginning of the month, and the rules state that everyone arrives in court at the same time. Neither Jack nor Thomas had the information that Simmons had left the Domain until the Prince announced it after Lenora's acknowledgement. Jack could not act in that capacity because there is no way to know if the player would have joined late in the OOC month, but on the same IC night.

Blood Hunt:

6. Likes liked this post

Lenora Black | Public: Lenore Greene
    New Identity
    (Lenore Greene)
    Striking Looks
    (Comely)
    Presence
    (Winsome)
    Allies
    (Judicial)
    Allies
    (Culture)
    Lenora

+1
    SL
    PRE

Lenora is still for some time as the others speak, her fingers interlaced in a pyramid in front of her face, hiding her mouth as her eyes peered above. Analyzing. Thinking.

"Either way, Herald,"
    she offers, "I'm certain you can deduce how involving the Prince in this dispute might look like blackmail. Further, while the hypothesis of the Prince's potential displeasure of the clan should Mr. Boyle rise to the seat may be credible due to your frequent proximity, I doubt Her Majesty would allow your view to sway her all on its own. During my Acknowledgement she proved an intelligent sort. She was inquisitive enough to make a point to learn more about my reasoning for being in Sacramento. I am quite confident that this behavior will bleed over into any consideration she might offer towards the selection of our family's Priscus. Are you suggesting this pattern will regress if you are not selected?"

It was a curious thought to consider that the Herald could dictate Her Majesty's reactions. The Prince was an intelligent woman and Lenora heavily doubted that Jack would be able to hypothesize - or control - more than her immediate reaction. To believe more than this seemed to be an insult on Alessandra's intelligence, at least as far as Lenora was concerned.

A glance is offered to Whitney. "Do not think me complacent, Cousin," she offers as he pushes for her to consider the Heirophant, "I am merely gathering the information I require to make a concrete decision. When someone asks why our Priscus is who they are. I want to tell them exactly why they were selected."

"Heirophant Boyle," she says, ensuring she has not neglected the other candidate in the running, "when discussing your merit as a leader and as a contributing member to the Domain, you cited the contribution of your knowledge and magic in the Folsom incident. Herald Jack has claimed that he had a hand in ensuring you were called. Is this true?"

T
    Thomas Boyle

Thomas forces his dead lungs to work, and pretty soon a sigh follows "Herald, your apparent belief that you can muddy up straightforward issues using lots of words is as droll as it is misguided. Let me pick it apart as simply as I can" And with that, a smile blossoms on Thomas' face.

"Hopefully putting the matter of that idiotic call to rest, on its very outset you said that misinformation is being spread. With that, you prevented the Prince from ever thinking it was a simple misunderstanding between the two of us. If you think yourself a tail so potent that you can wag the dog, then I can only say this: you aren't. The Prince would want to know more and of course you'd tell her" Like the good little boy scout you are...

"The simple matter of Acknowledgement both this month and the previous one is that the Laws clearly state who can perform the act. The Whip is not among them under any circumstance. Both these nights, there was a person perfectly capable of Acknowledging in the same room. In short, your zeal wasn't needed. In fact, it was not zeal so much as it was greed" And all that from a man preaching the virtue of patience. Not impressive. At all.

"Simmons' exact words were that 'maybe she chose wrong' regarding your appointment and that it can 'always be revisited in the future'. Perhaps she didn't think you big enough to do any more damage than you already caused? In any case, if you don't believe me get a Mekhet, make him study my claims with Auspex. They'll tell you what's what" He dares the Whip. This argument is more for him than the other two Lords - only Jack and Thomas knew, after all, how reserved in opionion Simmons was, and how unlikely she was to reveal herself like that "As for your higher status in the Domain, isn't it obvious? Everyone follows the Prince's opinion, figuring there must be a reason you were made Herald. I myself thought you've learned your lesson in humility after you were laughed out of Court in June. Incidentally, that night there was no Prince there for you to come crying to when people question you" The Malkovian shrugs "I also find it interesting that you use words like 'baseless' and 'ridiculous' a lot, but spend barely any time refuting my claims. That's the behavior of someone thinking they are owed this here chair" He points at the seat at the head of the table.

"Do you see a pattern here, Herald? Your status comes from an ultimately meaningless, freebie position handed to you by the Prince. You lose your cool in Elysium when the Prince is not there to save you. Confronted about your shortcomings, you immediately contact the Prince. What Alessandra Antinori sees in you I don't know and I don't particularly care. But the fact of the matter is that without her you are a nobody"

There is a nod of acknowledgement and gratitude to Whitney's words as the newest Lord endorses him. Of course, no mistake can be made: it's a calculated support. one that can be withdrawn at any time, even tonight. It shouldn't be taken for granted. But for the moment, it's Lenora's concerns he needs to address.

"He says he has recommended me to be there" No point in lying when the truth is favorable to you "But clearly he wasn't very convincing. In fact I had to write to him when Krieg, previous Hierophant and Nosferatu Priscus, informed me of the Folsom developments. It's not like he had a choice, either. If you forgive the immodesty, I was and remain the only person in Sacramento to be honestly called an expert in the occult. Thus, he did not pick Family before other candidates. He picked the only available option" There it is again. That insufferable attitude of Jack thinking he's doing everyone favors, and the other Kindred are just a bunch of ungrateful, childish creatures.

Aiden Whitney
    Presence
    (Charming)
    Allies
    (Finance)
    Barfly
    Contacts
    (Finance)
    Status
    (Master's Degree)
    Aiden Whitney

PRE

"I do not consider you complacent by any stretch Ms. Black," Aiden cocked a half smile followed by a shrug. "I merely offer my perspective in hopes that you would give it a small measure of consideration."

Her stoicism was a stark contrast to the rest of the room. Thomas and Jacque were truly sinking into this fight. The gloves were off. While it was entertaining, they were also devolving into the kind of bickering that was fruitless. Aiden certainly was angry at Jacque for his little maneuver, but Thomas was now on the line of questioning the Prince's judgment in front of her Herald. Not the best situation to be sure. The more the two went on the more Aiden came to realize that their feud was a black hole; months or years in the making, with no clear resolution, and no method by which to resolve in the course of their meeting tonight.

They could do this forever if we left them to it.

"It is clear that the two of you could argue in this room until the end of time, however, I do not think anyone here wants to sit through that. Herald, I appreciate that you aren't quite as direct as Mr. Boyle with your insults, but you imply quite well. You would have us believe that Mr. Boyle is a wholly self-serving serpent capable of speaking only in half-truths, lies, and envenomed words." A hand cut through the air. "I don't need confirmation or rebuttal on that Herald. Nor I from you, Mr. Boyle, on what comes next."

A brief pause as Aiden re-situated himself towards the Hierophant. "Mr. Boyle, you would have us believe that the Herald is an inept coward who wilts the second he is separated from his patron. A patron, who I hope, you will speak of with more respect for the remainder of this meeting." A dead stare peered into Thomas.

Him challenging the Prince's decision to appoint Jacque as Herald was a dangerous line of dialogue. Especially with her mouthpiece in the room, and Lenora clearly enamored with her.

"While you, Hierophant, certainly are keen to add gas to this inferno," The man seemed more honeybadger than snake. "I do not believe a man who was asked to host court on behalf of the covenant he leads can be made solely of deception and hot air. Her Majesty wouldn't have afforded you the honor. Herald, if you truly meant no harm in the phone call," That was a big fucking if. "Then I can see your argument. But it was a sign of weakness, regardless of your intent. Furthermore, it being the only action of yours I have ever observed personally, it grants a measure of credence to the claims of your opponent. My support therefore falls to Mr. Boyle." Truth be told, Aiden still didn't believe the phone call was a simple attempt at clarity. He simply didn't want to listen to the Herald continue to plead innocence at every turn.

Aiden placed his hands together in front of his heart. "Can we please then, cease this endless series of incriminations, and merely focus on the questions of Ms. Black?" They clearly weren't changing their opinions about each other. Aiden wasn't changing his opinion unless Thomas spouted something insane. Lenora was really the only game left in town, yet they seemed more preoccupied with each other than with the last free vote in the room.

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

Educated, scholarly, lawyer, scientist.
    Jack's outward demeanor and tone are a baseline of respectful and calculated.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"It only looks like blackmail because Mister Boyle made it so." Jack would never have believed it but apparently fucking himself was Thomas' best move. "A risky move, but apparently effective as that one point is now driving the full focus of the conversation. Consider what you have left if you remove Mister Boyle's statement from that phone call. Truth, anonymity and no burden on the clan."

Shaking his head, "I am not telling you that I can sway the Prince to take action against Mister Boyle," because he can't, "I'm telling you that it is already coming of her own volition. Could you not hear it in her voice?" Perhaps not, they have not been here long enough to tell the difference, "I took responsibility for his actions in court when he openly debated the Prince's will and with that prior grievance in mind I attempted to maintain his anonymity on this phone call. My proximity to Her Majesty gives me insight on how she thinks and how she approaches issues... especially repeat issues. I can assure you whatever sway I had was to his benefit, but has now been exhausted due to his continued disrespect. Even now, he still carries himself with an attitude that he knows the Prince's will better than herself. You both heard her expectations in Court. She is the Law. Surely you each can appreciate how dangerous that thinking would be as Priscus." Unbridled arrogance.

Wise Lenora, asking the right question. Let's see if she hears the answer, "No." His stare lingered a moment before continuing, "I'm suggesting the family consider the message we send if he were selected."

Looking to Thomas, "I have offered to address any of your deceptions that Mister Whitney or Ms Black have interest in. If they wish me to spend the entire evening neutralizing every ounce of your venom, then all they need to do is say so. I am owed nothing except an end to your forked tongue."

"The Sheriff preferred to loop in her Deputy, Krieg, during the first phase because of his domain position and knowledge on the occult as the Hierophant of the Crone. When Deputy Krieg's expertise in the occult proved insufficient I immediately requested Mister Boyle's involvement again." Shrugging his shoulders, "Reeve Mitnick and the Prince were at the that meeting so either could confirm that I asked the Sheriff to revisit my recommendation." An emphasis placed on revisit to drive home the point, "To avoid any further misunderstandings of how I wield Domain influence I'll leave how you confirm the information up to the two of you but I would ask that you confirm it tonight so there can be no doubt either's words are true and uninfluenced. Considering Mister Boyle's faux pas, I would also recommend the Reeve over the Prince to avoid further aggravating his fate." Why was he still helping this snake?

Eyeing Aiden, "I do hope you consider validating his words before you go all in Mister Whitney. A wise investor does a risk assessment no? I'm not certain how actions exposing his manipulation lend him credence."

4 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-09-13 19:37:37 Jacque rolls 10 to don't go all-in so early, Aiden (Man+Per+SL+DS) (10 Again) 4, 3, 9, 7, 10, 10, 2, 10, 3, 7, 1, 6, 5 4 successes

"There is a Kine saying- you can lead a horse to water but you can not make it drink."
    flipping a hand, "I can only provide so many examples of his deceit, his twisting of words and his flagrant disrespect that will affect the whole of the clan. Surely you can see he relies on telling unverifiable stories of what he thinks happened or what he thinks will happen that naturally fit his narrative. I have provided sources to validate my statements and the face behind his deceptions. If you refuse to see the truth for what it is, I can not stop him from playing you for fools."

Blood Hunt:

T
    Thomas Boyle

As the background noises started forming recognizable patterns and then, eventually, couldn't be anything else but words, Thomas came to a startling realization: there are other people in this room! The Malkovian listens to Aiden cutting through their little dispute, and although the Lord's stern look is met with a similar one from Thomas, he - as requested - says nothing.

Truth be told it felt a bit like emerging from underwater, gasping for air. Dazing, but affording clarity in the long run.

"I have made my argument" he states simply "If any questions remain unanswered, I'd be happy to impart my perspective"

This time, the Lord doesn't pay much attention to the newest waterfall of phrase from Jack. Let him have the last word. The truth will out.

Page 2 of 6 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 Last
Closed Thread