Ended
Watch

Signs of Sorcery

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 4 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
    S
    Shodan

He sighs "You're a tough one to please, aren't you?" A moment's pause "Good" And another "Nerf guns it is" Please note that nothing was said on the size of said guns. So you can bet Shodan is going to do dig up the biggest, baddest pieces he can find.

The Obrimos looks at October "So you mean not everyone wants to change the world?" Getting out of the homogenous crowd back home really did him good "That's fair. But with the position you're in, improving your skills kind of has a benefit embedded for everyone else" Although the Prime Mover would very much like to know what exactly does the Acanthus hold so close to her vest.

Shodan doesn't look convinced "Yeah, except to fit me in a barrel you'd need to cut the body before dissolution. If that is your idea of not messy, I think you and Leatherface might have something in common" With their playful demeanor, it's almost like they're having a scientific conversation! Even if the topic is a bit... grim "You're right, though. Dark as shit. How did we even get here?" Although this is a rhetorical question, this talk has been a rollercoaster the likes of which he'd never have expected "But if anyone asked me about the hardships of being a doctor, 5 Second Rule-style, 'blood on sneakers' would not be what I'd think of" Perhaps because it's so mundane and obvious you don't really pay it any mind.

He nods to the pizza place comment in apparent consent.

Active Spells
    New ID
    (Amber Davenport)
    Striking Looks
    (Enchanting)
    Status
    (Medical)
    Presence
    (Collected)
    October
    Spells

Nimbis

When October uses her magic, especially Fate, her Nimbus appears as a circle of black thorns that seem to wrap themselves around and into her body.

If the magic is vulgar, the colors of the thorns intensifies as the thorns disappear into her skin, and the she is able to feel the thorns embracing her.

+1
    SL
    PRE

A look of surprise, “Me? Nah. I just like to know the parameters of what I’m getting into.” Always good to know as much as possible before going into something.

Laughing, “No, not everyone. Changing the world is a noble cause, there’s no denying that. But when you step back and look at others who have tried to change the world, you see a lot of failure. One cannot change that which does not want to be changed. You will always be fighting an up-hill battle with little to no reward. So instead of the changing the world, why not focus on changing what you can?” nah, changing the world was not her thing. “It does, you’re right. But there is something to be said for being the best in your field. Knowing you’ve busted your ass and no one else has skills like yours. And in my field, not everyone benefits from my skills, some are too far gone.” Which was life.

She appears to eye him for a moment, then shakes her head, “No, I think I could fit you without having to cut you up. And if I did have to cut you up, I’d just stick you in a freezer for a couple days, make the clean up a lot easier.” A shrug as she laughs, “Not really sure, but it’s been great fun, unpredictable.” And that worked for her.

Laughing, “It’s a little known secret, doctors keep the sneaker industry in business. Since moving here, I’ve gone through three pairs. So if there is stock in sneakers, I suggest buying into it.”

S
    Shodan

"There's possibility of failure in everything you do" says the Libertine, and suddenly his voice grows a touch more serious "Washington's crossing of the Delaware River could've ended in failure. The Apollo program could've ended in failure. But who remembers that today?" It's not about statistics, because that is obviously not in favor of progress. It's about the one attempt out of a hundred that actually goes right "Point is, just because it's hard and you're likely to not accomplish anything, does not invalidate trying" Or it'd mean the intellectual death of all Awakened society.

"And it's likewise not true that you can't change that what doesn't want to be. I'll show you" He gets up from the table and walks to the fridge. A bottle of milk in hand he pours himself a glass and, slightly touching the surface of the liquid, chants in High Speech. The dairy product turns into apple juice. His favorite "See? Change. And that's just peanuts. Our previous Thyrsus Councilor turned some Seers into fish. Do you think they wanted that?" Shodan shakes his head "We're mages. Willworkers. The amount of change we affect in the world is a function of work and will. You may not want to change the world, and that's fine..." He makes a pause for dramatic effect.

"... but that doesn't mean you can't"

3 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-09-10 15:04:39 Shodan rolls 7 to Transmute Water (Gno 3 + Matter 2 + HS) (10 Again) 9, 8, 7, 9, 7, 5, 3 3 successes

Bookkeeping - this spell marks the 3rd point of mana spent in this Scene

Active Spells
    New ID
    (Amber Davenport)
    Striking Looks
    (Enchanting)
    Status
    (Medical)
    Presence
    (Collected)
    October
    Spells

Nimbis

When October uses her magic, especially Fate, her Nimbus appears as a circle of black thorns that seem to wrap themselves around and into her body.

If the magic is vulgar, the colors of the thorns intensifies as the thorns disappear into her skin, and the she is able to feel the thorns embracing her.

+1
    SL
    PRE

“Oh, of course. Most successes come from numerous failures. I’m certainly not afraid of failure, if I was, I wouldn’t be in the field I’m in. I just find changing the world to be a lofty goal, at least to me. I would much rather change myself, or those around me for the better. A small effort to improve those around you could lead to a momentous change later down the road. The butterfly effect if you will. One cannot change the world alone, but one can change the lives of those around them. In turn, that could make enough of a difference to shift things. Sometimes for the good, sometimes not.”

She leans back, watching him.

And there was a smile as he performs his trick, “That’d be a great way to save on money. Turn water into beer.” Was an idea.

Chuckling, “Actually, I can.” She leans forward, wrapping her hands around her glass, “Everything and everyone has a destiny, determined when you are born. A Master of Fate can change that destiny. No one wants to be a fish, and I assume the Seer’s died from it. Because if not, I hope you guys have them in a fish tank somewhere with Wards.” That’d be awesome.

“What I can do revolves around the concept of constant change and constant motion. What was someone Fate’s one day, might change the next due to Fate always being in motion. And that is thanks to possibilities and probabilities always shifting with each minute. With time, I will be able to change the world, but some things are best left to their predetermined fate. What the Thyrsus did, to me, was fulfill the Seer’s predetermined Fate.” A shrug, and then drinks her beer.

“Not sure if I answered that correctly or not, sometimes my mind goes one way and my mouth goes another.” She says with a laugh. "So just tell me if I get off topic or don't make sense, I won't get offend."

S
    Shodan

"My lack of belief in determinism aside" Shodan was eagerly listening to October's argument, munching on pizza to focus his mind better "You said there's a predetermined Fate to all things. But then you told me Fate is in constant motion. That sounds mutually exclusive" Like an itchy sweater, you can't quite come to terms with that kind of paradox "Not to mention at least one of these statements implies something with agency that actually determined what these Fates are going to be" Still...

"I'm not sure there's a generally correct answer" He says "Neither magic or philosophy are exact sciences, after all, and the philosophy of using magic even less so" As ably demonstrated by the constant arguments him and Phoenyx are having.

Active Spells
    New ID
    (Amber Davenport)
    Striking Looks
    (Enchanting)
    Status
    (Medical)
    Presence
    (Collected)
    October
    Spells

Nimbis

+1
    SL
    PRE

“The predetermined Fate is best applied to Sleepers. They have little way of changing what has been determined. But the thing with Fate, is you usually cannot escape it. No matter what changes you make to your life, of what winding paths you take, it will all lead to the same end. Now us,” pointing between him and her, “have ways to change that for ourselves. We are able to seek out those who can alter it for us. Some of us are able to follow the threads of Fate and see where they end and either severe them, or add to them. At some point, my studies are going to let me change the Fate of Sleepers and Awakened alike. It’s weird, and I’m probably not explaining it very well.” There was a very good chance she wasn’t.

Nodding, “You are right there though. No matter what magic we know, nothing can be really be exact. But I wonder if our magic was purposefully made to not be exact to keep us learning and pushing ourselves.” Then she realizes something, “So we go from dark and grim, to deep and thoughtful” a brief nod of her head, “You’re a very intriguing guy to have beer and pizza with. Tell me, are conversations always so all over the place with you?” she wasn’t complaining, it had been fun, kept her on her toes.

S
    Shodan

The Obrimos smiles "Predetermined. You keep using that word. I don't think it mean what you think it means" He says "If you say you can change a Sleeper's destiny with Fate magic then that alone falsifies the predetermination hypothesis. As do the Schrodinger equation and Heisenberg uncertainty principle" You know shit got serious if Shodan is pulling quantum mechanics out of the bag "Still, like you said, it is possible for Masters of Fate to influence the destiny of a living being in great ways, but even then it's not exactly set in stone. Or so I hear. I have no practical knowledge of that Arcanum" He readily admits, listening to what October has to say further.

"I'm not sure magic was made. I prefer to think about it like a law of physics. It's always been there, like gravity. Except it supersedes all the laws of Sleeper physics, with the possibility of creating matter and energy from nothing being only the most obvious examples" He says, drinking what's left of the beer and taking a somewhat unexpected compliment "Only when I meet interesting people that can stand me jumping from topic to topic. So, thanks" Shodan shrugs with a smile, answering the commendation with one of his own.

Active Spells
    New ID
    (Amber Davenport)
    Striking Looks
    (Enchanting)
    Status
    (Medical)
    Presence
    (Collected)
    October
    Spells

Nimbis

+1
    SL
    PRE

The smile was returned, “Or it means something different to me when discussing Fate. But does it really change it?” she asks, “Or have I simply fulfilled the destiny? Fate and destiny walk a winding path with many twists and turns, some loops and a few double backs. It is never a straight line.” Then a nod. “Are you referencing the time-dependent Schrödinger equation? Or the time-independent equation?” because each had a different answer. “But you’re right, nothing is set in stone. Even if I change the destiny of one, there is no one to say it cannot be changed back or to something else. And changing someone’s destiny runs the risk of changing many things.” Butterfly effect.

There was a look of interest as she listens, nodding here and there, “Like it’s always been there? Hmm, that’s a different way of looking at it. So if it was always there, then there had to be someone to discover it, learn to use it and pass it along.” Or so one would think.

Laughing, “That’s what us Enchanters are good for, being able to follow such a conversation and hold our own.”

S
    Shodan

Shodan makes an audible 'hm' sound "If you put it like that... it's possible, but ventures right into unfalsifiability territory. There's nothing wrong with that, but it means I'm unable to make anything else than other unfalsifiable assertions. By the way, I meant the time-dependent one" He smiles "Are a lot of doctors into quantum mechanics?" It doesn't sound like it;d be standard for their university curriculum.

"Exactly" He agrees to the implications on magic being eternal "Like fire. It existed in the universe way before humans, and at some point in time our ancestors learned to control it. Fast-forward a couple thousand years and boom!" He imitates an explosion with his gestures "Nuclear power. Likewise, at some point some people discovered they can do tricks that seem impossible - like make their surroundings a few degrees colder - if they focus hard enough. Gradually, it evolved into what we know today - Masters, Orders, the whole shebang"

The Prime Mover makes that 'hm' sound again "Fair enough. They build you sturdy, then. So, do you mind if I get your number in case I need to run all over the place with you again?" After a moment's hesitation, he adds "I mean, you have mine. It's only fair, right?"

We seem to be slowly winding down. We can continue or head towards closing, whichever you prefer!

Active Spells
    New ID
    (Amber Davenport)
    Striking Looks
    (Enchanting)
    Status
    (Medical)
    Presence
    (Collected)
    October
    Spells

Nimbis

+1
    SL
    PRE

Shrugging, “Maybe somethings just aren’t meant to be figured out.” It was a possibility. “Ah, ok. Always good to clarify that. And no. At least, not that I know of.” a small chuckle, “I’m no expert on it, I’m quite sure you know more about it than I do. But I’ve read a few things here and there over the years.” So a general knowledge.

She had to laugh at the gesture. “Boom.” A nod. “That makes sense, and I can see that happening. Because when we really look at it, we only know what we’ve been told and what’s been passed down. Always great to find new ways of looking at things.” Some things were not always black and white or how they’ve been taught.

“That, or I just suck at staying on one topic for very long. Both are strong possibilities.”
    Who knows. “Oh, sure!” she takes her phone out of her pocket and sends him a text. “There you go. And of course, only fair.” A nod.

I agree, it seems to be naturally winding down. I'm good to wrap

Page 4 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 17

You do not have permission to view the list of names.