Ended
Watch

Signs of Sorcery

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
    S
    Shodan

"I'm glad one of us finds the failure of the other funny" He says and tries to keep it serious, but can't, really. Humor starts to show through the cracks in his mask.

"Year-round, huh? Was that a New York thing? Or a family thing?" Unless she is not really from the Empire City. Midwest, perhaps? Shodan imagines October in cowboy boots and hat, then immediately regrets it "Rabbit food ain't so bad, though. At least from time to time. Tell you what, I'll prove it to you. Next time we meet I'm treating you to a salad like you've never seen before. Unlike most guys, I happen to like cooking" Oh yes, this'll be some serious gourmet shit.

"Well, if you refuse to learn from others then you quickly fall behind. It's funny, though, how people who say they don't need people, always need people around to let them know that they are the kind of people who don't need people" He chuckles, wondering if the Unicorn will get the reference.

"Sounds like a merry lil' bunch" Six people in a cabal. Hell, Sacramento has about as many manges in the entire Consilium "What were the things that you all wanted?" Let's probe deeper!

"So what's with the Name? October?" Some stretched connections can be made: October is a month, month is a unit of time and time is one of Arcadia's building blocks. But it sounded implausible at best "Did you pick it or was it chosen for you?" Either method was in use, and it said something of your mentor whether or not he insisted on being the one to choose it.

Active Spells
    New ID
    (Amber Davenport)
    Striking Looks
    (Enchanting)
    Status
    (Medical)
    Presence
    (Collected)
    October
    Spells

Nimbis

When October uses her magic, especially Fate, her Nimbus appears as a circle of black thorns that seem to wrap themselves around and into her body.

If the magic is vulgar, the colors of the thorns intensifies as the thorns disappear into her skin, and the she is able to feel the thorns embracing her.

+1
    SL
    PRE

A shrug as she takes another drink, “Life is too short to not find things funny. And I’m sure there will come a time when I fail at something and you get to laugh at me.” Which didn’t bother her.

“Uh, think it’s more a family thing. My dad loved to grill, and so we got steaks quite often. Though I’m sure we had neighbors who thought he was crazy, grilling in snow storms.” A laugh, “Thankfully, I learned how to grill from him. And what’s with you and New York?” is he from there or something? “Prove me wrong huh?” this should be good. “A salad like I’ve never seen, and it requires you to cook?” she looks skeptical, “Ok, I’m game and ok with being proved wrong. Let me know when, I can move some things around.” She’d move things around to see this salad like she’d never seen.

There was a snicker, “Those are the type of people with large, but very delicate egos. Makes them feel special I suppose.” An eyeroll and shrug, “I’ve always enjoyed learning from others. Even those who I share a Path with, our life choices affect how we perceive things, and can give others a new perspective. I know I don’t everything. Well, not yet anyways.” She jokes.

“The usual things, protecting the Consillum and all that. But we also wanted to learn from each other. It’s how I learned more about Death, and I helped her learn more about Fate. We also spent time learning where the weaknesses were in each other, and how we could help overcome them. Make us stronger as a group in case we were needed. I imagine that’s stuff all Cabals do though. So nothing as exciting as wanting to take over the world or anything Pinky.”
    She adds with a grin.

“The name? Huh, don’t think I’ve ever been asked that. And I choose it myself when the time came.”
    All Awakened know of that time. “I’m afraid I don’t have some fantastic story about the month being special to me or anything. It was just something that felt, well, right. It was the first name that came into my head and everything else fell into place. But truly yours sounds more interesting than mine.”

S
    Shodan

"Oh, I would never laugh at you. I will, however, endlessly lecture you on how you could and should do better, in a true know-it-all Obrimos fashion" See also: Phoenyx, Winter. Although Shodan was guilty of that too, on some occasions "You have been warned" He says with a chuckle and a smile (and a bite of pizza).

"Well, didn't you say you're from New York? I don't know anyone from there except you, and I've been there, like once or twice in my life" Too cold, too expensive apartments, horrible traffic. At least cities in California are warm all year "So I figured it might be something city-specific" Her obvious skepticism regarding Shodan's mad skills as a chef doesn't faze the Obrimos. In fact, it makes him grin in anticipation to the challenge! "I'll let you know" Would be an excuse to experiment a little.

"It's not always an ego thing. Edison had a large ego, and he had no problem learning - or taking - from other people's work. I'm not the humblest person on the block, either, and I can spend all day in someone else's class" He'd take notes, disassemble what he's learned, then put it back together in some new shape "Regardless of the reason, bottom line is that if someone is unwilling to listen to others, there's an 'f' word for that" Or more than one. Depending on the mood, circumstance and company.

"Pinky? Does that make you Brain? Of all the cartoon characters you could think of, you empathize with an arrogant, scheming rodent?" He was messing with her, of course, wondering how she'll answer. If their previous interactions are any indication she's unlikely to take offense, though.

"Asking questions no one's dared ask before is kind of my whole thing. But I think I get what you're saying - if relying on a first thing that comes into your mind fits anyone, it'd be the Path of Thistle. Just, uh... try not to accidentally summon a giant murderous Marshmallow Man? Please?" Of course, these are two different things, but that movie reference felt appropriate. Call it a hunch "As for my own name, Shodan is a video game character, an AI, and a search engine that lets you find all kinds of computers across the Internet. I love System Shock, I'm interested in AI development and I'm into computers. Felt appropriate" He pauses for a moment "It's not my first Name, anyway. Changing it was a soul-forging thing"

Active Spells
    New ID
    (Amber Davenport)
    Striking Looks
    (Enchanting)
    Status
    (Medical)
    Presence
    (Collected)
    October
    Spells

Nimbis

When October uses her magic, especially Fate, her Nimbus appears as a circle of black thorns that seem to wrap themselves around and into her body.

If the magic is vulgar, the colors of the thorns intensifies as the thorns disappear into her skin, and the she is able to feel the thorns embracing her.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Laughing with amusement, “Endlessly lecture me huh?” shaking her head with a shrug, “It’s been a little while since my last lecture, so I just might be overdue. I just ask you keep it interesting and entertaining. Otherwise, I might fall asleep and that would be rude.” She had a feeling he could make a lecture entertaining. Or boring.

Shaking her head, “Not that I recall. I’ve been there a handful of times, but I’m from Boston, born and raised.” Had she said New York at any point? She wasn’t sure honestly. Then shaking her head, “Nope. Just something my dad did.” Though she thinks it was a way to get away from her mother most of the time.

“You’re right, it isn’t always an ego thing. And the difference is Edison had humility.” She adds. “Now can you do it from a sheer desire to learn what they’re teaching, or the desire to know everything?” a simple question. “The unwillingness to listen to others and learn from them is a character flaw. And not a very attractive trait, very hard to work with too.” Annoying to work with was more like it.

Laughing, “Rodents are actually quite intelligent. They excel at learning and understanding concepts. And if there is a tiny bit of scheming mixed in it keeps life interesting.” And things needed to be interesting.

“A giant murderous Marshmallow Man? But that’s my go to party trick! Makes me a favorite at bonfires.” There was a pout before she laughed. “I can promise not to accidentally do that, but doing it on purpose, well, things happen. But it’s always a good time.” At least there was that?

A knowing nod, “That makes sense! And fits you.” She compliments. “Is System Shock a game? I enjoy video games, but I don’t know all of them.” Cause, she had a job and responsibilities. “Oh? I don’t think I’ve come across anyone who’s changed their name. And I imagine it must have been, I hope you’re happier with the current one.”

S
    Shodan

"If I haven't convinced you by now that I am, if nothing else, at least moderately entertaining, then... well, I'll try extra hard from now on" Nevermind the 'interesting' part "Or I could just jolt you awake with electricity" He shrugs with something that... approaches a sinister chuckle, if you mean the cheesy mustache-twirling villain version.

Weird, he could swear she claimed to be a New Yorker but then again, memory was a fickle thing. Shodan doesn't comment on it any further, hoping to put the embarassing mistake to a natural end.

"Edison had business acumen. He was reasonable enough to recognize that if he listens to others it influences his bottom line. A ruthless kind of practicality" He says, but that's just inconsequential historical trivia "I don't have a desire to know everything. I mean sure, if someone wants to teach me a subject I normally have no interest in, then I'll attend because I'm greedy like that, but I try to specialize. Figuring if I try to mix a sports car and an eighteen-wheeler I will not be able to either drive fast or take lots of cargo, if you catch my meaning" The metaphor was a bit extended, but very in-character for Shodan "I like learning. It's my fix, and it's healthier than coke. By extension, I like people who teach. But I have my area of study that takes precedence" Jack-of-all trades was not his style and besides, if the Libertine's work was half as groundbreaking as he hoped it to be, then it's all worth it.

He laughs along with October at the 'rodent' comment "Spoken like someone who had a hamster or a rat pet as a kid" Did the Acanthus have a pet? Does she have one now? Shodan honestly has no idea where these questions came from, but they seemed oddly interesting at the moment.

"Careful now! I don't think Winter will appreciate if you summon the Stay Puft Man in the middle of... well, anything. Or call it 'a good time'" That guy had no sense of humor whatsoever "I'd be okay to see it, though" A marshmallow golem. There's an idea! If D&D mind flayers could build them from brains (i.e. basically food), why not marshmallows?

"Yeah, it's a sci-fi game. Pretty cool for its time, if you don't mind the constant backtracking" He says, then moves on to subjects more serious "It's not about being unhappy with the old one, it's just that my Legacy requires you to change your Shadow Name to better reflect what you're going to be doing" The Obrimos liked his previous Name fine, but it was in the past now, and so of little interest, like the shed skin of a snake.

Active Spells
    New ID
    (Amber Davenport)
    Striking Looks
    (Enchanting)
    Status
    (Medical)
    Presence
    (Collected)
    October
    Spells

Nimbis

+1
    SL
    PRE

“I wouldn’t say I’m convinced, but you have proven to be quite witty and fun to talk with.” She compliments. An eyebrow raises, “Well, that would be one hell of a way to wake up.” A chuckle, “It’s just the side effects I’m concerned with, what voltage we talking about here?” she asks with all honesty.

Nodding, “Ruthless, yes. But also a smart way to do business. Sometimes we all need to be a bit ruthless to get ahead.” A shrug, it was just how life worked sometimes. At the metaphor, she laughed, “No, but it would make one hell of a sight! Could probably go on tour with it, charge people to sit in it and take pictures.” She was only serious if she had to be. “I can’t argue with that, coke is unhealthy, and too damn expensive.” There just wasn’t anything good about it. “So what drives you to want to learn and study?” everyone had a drive.

Shrugging, “Both. Though I found rats more enjoyable as you can teach them various tricks. Needless to say, I had some very well-trained rats. Wasn’t my mothers first choice, but she eventually accepted it.” For most people, it was the tail.

An eyeroll, “While I understand Winter as a Guardian, I do think he needs to loosen up here and there. If we are always serious, then we will lead a dull and uneventful life. And I don’t know about you, but I’ll pass on dull.” No thanks. “And maybe, just maybe, the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man is what we need. Cause who doesn’t like smores?!” come on, everyone liked smores! “And if not, I won’t tell him if you don’t.” see, fun!

“Ah. Well, that makes perfect sense! So in a way, you’ve become a better version of yourself.” Though she was surprised to hear him mention his Legacy. Most she had talked to skirted around the subject, preferring to keep it quiet.

S
    Shodan

"Come on, it wouldn't be a lot. Perceptible, but not painful. I mean, if I hurt you by accident, you'd probably stop listening to me, and that'd defy the whole point" He says "Not to mention be a dick move" And Shodan didn't do dick moves, especially to people he liked.

He nods to October's comment on ruthlessness "It's true. I mean, if we want to create something on a grand scale, then resistance of matter is a given. Take the USA for example - its modern agriculture, industry and the transcontinental railroad would never happen if they didn't kick out the farmers out of their own land. It was ruthless, and perhaps even cruel - but if it didn't happen, we'd all sit on our porches in straw hats, Declaration of Independence in one hand, Winchester in the other. Progress always has a price" He says philosophically. The words flow easily - must be all the consumed beer "Then again, we need to be wary not to overdose on the 'End justifies the means' Kool-Aid" Or else it'll be like the Animal Farm - look between humans and pigs and you won't spot a single difference.

"What drives me?" He spends several long seconds pondering an accurate answer to that question "I think I just have a specific goal in mind, and gaining knowledge helps me get closer to that goal. Or challenge my assumptions. Or at least help me see another day, so I can pursue it further" Knowing how to kick and punch people had nothing to do with what he envisioned, but there was a non-zero chance he'll have to use that skill some day to get out of a bind and live to study something more relevant.

Why did he even bring Winter up in the first place? It was a real buzzkill "I think he likes it dull and uneventful. Which is why we've butted heads so often. And every time I feel we can find some common ground he... walks away further. A dedicated soloist, that man is" the Obrimos says with ample sarcasm in his voice "But I ain't no snitch - any secret conjuring of confectionery-based figures will stay between us" What was the first rule of Fight Club? That's right.

"Yup" He nods at the mention of becoming a better Shodan and takes a small drink from his glass "Updated my software. But there are still more patches to come"

Active Spells
    New ID
    (Amber Davenport)
    Striking Looks
    (Enchanting)
    Status
    (Medical)
    Presence
    (Collected)
    October
    Spells

Nimbis

+1
    SL
    PRE

Laughing, “Well, you’re going to have to convenience me that you know how much would cause serious injury. That way I know you know what you’re doing.” There was a line there. “I probably would stop listening, and then I’d have to return the favor, but in my own creative way.” Munching on a piece of pizza, “But yah, a dick move.” She’d agree, it would be.

A grimace, “I don’t think I could pull of a straw hat.” She jokes. “But I agree, progress has a price. And we only need to look at history to see that. Though I think we shouldn’t go into it blind, we should be educated about what we are gaining and what we are losing. Change is hard, but necessary for life to move forward and progress.” But not everyone liked change.

“Goals are an excellent motivator. I’ve always heard that knowledge is power, and knowledge is something one can never have too much of. So I wish you luck.”

Shrugging, “Well, dull and uneventful isn’t always a bad thing. It means there is no one actively attacking us and gives us a chance to breathe. But no one can really enjoy living like that. Maybe he doesn’t know any different, or has had a difficult past. Hard to tell, can’t really read him.” But she’d still give the guy a chance. He’d been here longer than she had been. Laughing, “Good to know. Cause snitches don’t last long and bodies have a way of disappearing.” Especially when one was both a mage and doctor.

Chuckling at the joke, “Isn’t there always more patches?” she asks with a smirk, “But good for you. We should always be striving to improve upon ourselves. And sounds like you got a heads start.”

S
    Shodan

"The most that you'd notice, but not be harmed would be... 2 volts, I think. Anything more means pain, trouble breathing, burns and heart muscle contractions" And the potential for fatal injury "Did I pass?" He asks, trying to bring some levity to the grim topic.

He nods thoughtfully "That they are. Do you have a goal, though? Something you strive to do or be?"

The mention of bodies disappearing, although clearly meant as a joke is somewhat unnerving to Shodan, so the Obrimos resorts to his favorite tactic for that kind of situation: turn it into an even more obvious joke "Whoa! I think you got to that 'Walter White' part a liiiiittle too eagerly. I'd prefer to not be put in a bathtub and have hydrofluoric acid poured all over me" He says "There are more effective chemicals for that, anyway"

Active Spells
    New ID
    (Amber Davenport)
    Striking Looks
    (Enchanting)
    Status
    (Medical)
    Presence
    (Collected)
    October
    Spells

Nimbis

+1
    SL
    PRE

An eyebrow raises in amusement, “You think? See, this is why we have a problem.” She says with a laugh, “Plus, I’d be more concerned with the current.” Shaking her head, “I’d say not because you have not put my concerns at ease. So lets just leave the shocks out and maybe settle for throwing something instead?” meet in the middle. “Or even a Nerf gun! Those are fun!” she might have a few at her house.

“Me?” did she? “I think I want to improve my skills, like everyone else. A more selfish goal? Well, I like to keep those close to the vest. Though being top in my field is high up there.” Sure, she could learn Life and boost her chances, but that wasn’t her.

A Cheshire cat smile, “Someone has to do it.” A shrug. “Well, the bathtub was a bad idea, and hydrofluoric acid works, but is messy. It needs to be quick and with as little clean up as possible. So what about a barrel? Would that work better for you?” she was clearly joking. “Oh yeah there are! Once you understand what the human body is made out of, and what chemicals do what, you’re set.”

Shaking her head, “Wow, that got dark real quick! I assure you, I’m not all gloom and doom.” Waving a hand. “Much more about having fun and learning how to get blood out of sneakers.” It was the downside to being a doctor. Going through so many sneakers.

Motioning to the pizza, “Going to have to tell me the name of this pizza place. If it’s this good cold, it must be phenomenal fresh.”

Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 17

You do not have permission to view the list of names.