Ended
Watch

Signs of Sorcery

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 2 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
    S
    Shodan

Too pretty for school? He chokes on that shit. He actually, literally, chokes on his beer and pizza upon hearing that argument "For real?" Yes, apparently 'for real' "Do you get all your friends from the Middle Ages?" He chuckles. 'Too pretty for school', Jesus "But seriously: you care about the not-yet-Awakened and defy social expectations. How are you not part of the Free Council again?" Of course, he isn't serious. Just joking around.

Or is he?

"If potential injury ever stops me from doing something awesome and enlightening, then put a bullet in my head, because it'd mean the androids have won and I've been replaced" He intends that as a joke, but under one mirthful layer of his voice lies another, more serious. Ever since joining the Engineers, chasing after the new and exciting is part of his soul - to turn his back on that would be devastating, like dying a little "I didn't know my mage insurance covers aesthetic medicine, but the more you sell it, the more appealing taking a bullet seems. Weird, right?"

Quietly, he revels in October's spirited reaction, even if it's more thanks to what was said, rather than how or by whom. Nevertheless, it's a good feeling when people care about what you have to say.

"Why did Grinch want to steal Christmas? He was an asshole, that's why. Same with the Seer motherfuckers. They're motherfuckers" He reiterates, as if that suffices for an explanation, then after a second adds "They're fuckers of mothers" Destroy the followers of the Lie. The Diamond can whine all it wants about the non-conformist Assemblies, but no Order places this much weight on combating the censors "In all seriousness, though, if they succeeded it'd mean no Consilium could be established here, ever. It's more convenient than manually killing every mage that happens to travel here and be constantly on your guard"

She asks a curious question. One Shodan should've asked, to be honest, and he probably will if circumstances permit "People, yes. Places, I assume also yes but since all the infodump happened on the same day the Clock sent us a vision I didn't really think to check. As you can imagine, things moved pretty quickly" He says, using the short pause to eat and drink "That trip was depressing as hell, wintertime and during plague. I have never felt so many ghost at once in my life" A memory of the bitter cold sends actual shivers down his spine "But we won that day, so... go go Power Rangers, I guess?" He chuckles weakly "Letting you mess with the Clock is not my call, but I don't see why not. At least unlike the previous Acanthus I don't need a translator to understand you" God, Kaster was so fun. Like all geniuses, he was a bit crazy, but hey! So was Tesla!

The Unicorn raises her eyebrows, and in response Shodan makes his best attempt at a smug smile.

"I'll give you a hint: starting at the beginning is usually easier" A bit of friendly teasing "I just wanted you to know what you're getting into. Or at least know as much as I do. I'm sure there are calmer Consilii out there, but if you choose to stay here it needs to be an informed choice" For her sake and theirs. October deserves to know all about the bombs she's sitting on, and everyone else should be certain about her dedication.

Active Spells
    New ID
    (Amber Davenport)
    Striking Looks
    (Enchanting)
    Status
    (Medical)
    Presence
    (Collected)
    October
    Spells

Nimbis

When October uses her magic, especially Fate, her Nimbus appears as a circle of black thorns that seem to wrap themselves around and into her body.

If the magic is vulgar, the colors of the thorns intensifies as the thorns disappear into her skin, and the she is able to feel the thorns embracing her.

+1
    SL
    PRE

There was a brief look of concern before he speaks. Cause choking is bad. “Yeah, for real. Well, I try not to outsource all my friends from the Middle Ages, I try and space them out as much as possible.” She jokes. “And that would be simply because no Order has caught my interest long enough.” Easy version.

“Wouldn’t it be easier, and better for the Consillum if we staged a rescue mission instead? Unless you think the androids wouldn’t have stored the real you somewhere, using your intelligent for some diabolical scheme. Because in that case, then yeah, end the fake Shodan.” Taking a bite of pizza she shrugs. “Oh, well we can run the numbers for you. Break them down into something affordable, monthly plans and all that. We’re reasonable, willing to work with you.” She tosses back with a grin, “Well, define weird. What is weird for one is normal for another.” All a matter of perspective.

A nod, “Yes, that’s true. But even the Grinch had something besides being an asshole driving him. For the Seer’s, I wonder if it’s not someone more powerful pulling the strings, using them to do the dirty work. Some vendetta against Sacramento maybe. But there is always a reason.” Just not always obvious. “Yeah, certainly is more convenient, which is why we have to keep being a pain in their ass each time. Though there is something to be said for bringing the fight to the enemy. And no worries about that, I’ll make sure my guard is up.” Being Awakened, it wasn’t hard to always be wary.

“Would be worth looking into. Maybe there’s a pattern to it? Or maybe the places have some sort of significance? Do you remember any of the places?” she asks. “During the plague? Oh wow, that had to be something to see in person.” The medical part of her mind was jealous. “Not big on ghosts?” some liked them, some didn’t and some didn’t care. “I wouldn’t mess with it unless everyone was on board, I don’t want to overstep anyone.” She was too new for that. “A translator? I think I’m afraid to ask.” Some Enchanters could be quite eccentric.

“Oh, well, yah, usually. But where’s the fun in that?!” cause it was about fun. “I thank you for that. And yeah, there are calmer ones, but those get dull. If everything was always calm and orderly, we’d never get to have fun. Don’t get me wrong, I like calm, just not all the time.”

S
    Shodan

He stares at her in disbelief as she outlines the 'mage insurance policy' "The... the numbers?" His bewilderment is theatrical enough that it can't possibly be mistaken for the real thing "Oh come on, I thought we're friends! Exchanging service for service, like in a hippie commune!" He laughs, but really: with a Consilium the size of a glorified cabal, what other currency really makes sense? "A rocket launcher in your car? I can make that happen. Free Netflix subscription for life? No problem. Hell, I have some lab equipment coming my way, if you ever decide to ditch your job and become the female Pablo Escobar, I got you" Shodan was the sorcerer of things, even without magic. Most skills he has relate to the material, inanimate world in some way.

He blinks at October "Well, yes, technically the Seers have someone at their back and that someone is the Exarchs. They don't need any reason to hate Sacramento specifically, because they hate everyone not adhering to their kowtow reactionary theocracy bullshit" He says. They're worse than the Guardians, and that's a bar set really low "The Seers if what happens when you give magic to people like the Westboro Baptist Church. It's possible some other faction is also in play - remember, we talked about Archmastery before - but to my knowledge there's nothing tu support that theory"

It's true that knowing what specifically was lost might shed some light on how the Seers operate and what they want - were the vanished buldings Order safehouses? Powerful Demesnes? Cabals' sanctums? It bears investigating next time Campy shows up.

"I don't, actually. I've only been here since November, when a lot of blows were already exchanged. I think the only person currently here that might remember the whole story is Campanella" Until recently, Aurora would be another, but she seems to have left the building. One can wonder where she is now... "Not... particularly? I know a Mind trick that lets me feel them along with living people, but I never talk to them. Not sure I want to, they are the human equivalent of a broken record. Downright unsettling" And with the amount of work it'd take him to learn even tha basics of Death? Nah, not worth it "You?" Being a trauma doctor, October is bound to be at least passingly comfortable around death - and Death.

"Well, that other guy looked and behaved like the world was a Doctor Who cosplay contest. Half the time he talked about stuff only he could see" Then again, maybe it was just an act "Or maybe he just trolled us, I don't know" That's the thing with Unicorns embracing the stereotype: you can never tell if they are delirious or making a prank.

"Oh, Sacramento is anything but dull, I can tell you that. The only thing we don't have in abundance is Order politics, and honestly? Thank Aether for that. I imagine it must've been different in the Big Apple" He looks visibly relieved at not having to describe any Pentacle bickering, but then another piece of trivia comes to mind "Which reminds me! It's unlikely to impact your life much, but apparently our neighbors in San Francisco have something of a bone to pick with us. The way I heard it, Sacramento seceded from the Bay at some point, and obviously they weren't glad we did. Add in their own Balkanized politics and you get a potential source of big trouble" Thankfully, nothing yet but you never know when one warlord comes a-knocking to reclaim the lost territories.

Active Spells
    New ID
    (Amber Davenport)
    Striking Looks
    (Enchanting)
    Status
    (Medical)
    Presence
    (Collected)
    October
    Spells

Nimbis

When October uses her magic, especially Fate, her Nimbus appears as a circle of black thorns that seem to wrap themselves around and into her body.

If the magic is vulgar, the colors of the thorns intensifies as the thorns disappear into her skin, and the she is able to feel the thorns embracing her.

+1
    SL
    PRE

The Acanthus manages to look serious, “Well, yes, of course. The numbers are very important to determining everything.” A solemn nod. “I’d say we are minor acquaintances at best right now.” She replies, taking a sip of beer, “But we can work on that.” There was a small smirk. “A rocket launcher? Well, that would help with the traffic, but I’d have to buy a car instead of renting.” Then a snort as she laughed, “A female Pablo Escobar? Now that sounds like it’s all kinds of fun! Either way, I think we can work something out.”

A nod, “What you’re saying is true. But you don’t hear about this type of thing happening at every Consillum. Sure, the Seer’s attack here and there, but nothing this specific. No,” a shake of her head, “I think there is something else going on. And I think if we can figure it out, we can better plan a defense and attack on them.” She’d wager a lot on that. Chuckling, “Worse than the Guardians? Isn’t that a bit extreme? They’re not all bad. Every society needs people like the Guardians, keeps the rest of us in line.” And she needed that. “But see, we know what drives the Westboro Baptist, it’s hate and fear. Which can be flipped and used against them. We figure that out for the Seer’s around here, we get a step ahead. And we can totally turn the tables and have some fun at their expense.” There was a spark of something in her eyes. “We might not have anything concrete to support the theory, but Time Travel? That’s high level shit.” If that’s not Archmastery then she didn’t know what was.

“So might be worth asking him about it. If there are buildings that have gone missing, it’d be interesting to know. Also interesting to look at on a map, maybe there’s a pattern.” A stretch, sure, but you never know. “I’ve spoken with a few, none that have been a broken record, just more seeking answers. Death is kind of something I’ve picked up over the years, and the ghosts just seem to come with it.” A shrug, no big deal to her.

An amused look, “Wow, seriously? That would be annoying. I mean, sure, with Fate there are things we can see. But I think it’s rude to talk about them without either tuning someone into it, or explaining it.” But maybe that was just her.

“Oh, I’m quite content with the politics of the Orders. Too many and it turns into a giant fucking mess and nothing seems to get done.” Too many personalities thinking they were right. “Oh? Well that’s good to know. Guess they took it personally. Have they come here and made a scene or anything?”

S
    Shodan

"Minor acquaintances?" What kind of descriptor even is that? "I think I just suffered a flashback to my corporate days. But you know what? Fine. You're on. Making friends is not the kind of project I usually do, but I am nothing if not resourceful. Now, where did I put that SWOT analysis textbook..." He looks left and right lazily before returning his eyes to October "Any hints you could spare would be appreciated, though" And as for their future stellar career in crime... "You know the business, and I know the chemistry. If Walter White could do it, so can we" A nod. How hard can it be? White and Pinkman were Sleepers and still pulled it off. And what does it matter that they were fictional characters?

"Well, I'd argue that hate and fear are exactly the things that drive the Seers, but... well, you're either paranoid or right, and I don't think we have the luxury of assuming the former" He shrugs, drinks "We should keep our eyes peeled. Ideally we could find another pylon, let them fight over who gets to deliver the triumph and then take out the survivors - if the Seers have one weakness, it's their rampant factionalism. But I doubt we'll get that lucky" They'll probably need to clean it up one Seer cabal at a time. But a method to this madness would be nice.

The Prime Mover nods again when October mentions a possible pattern. Of course, confirmation bias is a thing - even if there isn't one, merely mentioning it might convince the Consilium otherwise. But can they afford leaving even one stone unturned? "In all fairness to my man Kasterborous, he could be annoying but he was also an asset to the Consilium. We were cabalmates, even - for the very short time Think Tank actually existed. The name was his idea by the way" And it was a damn good one. If the cabal is ever esurrected, the name stays.

"They haven't. Yet" And as far as Shodan is concerned the Bay should stay in its own backyard "It came up as part of another thing, we have reason to believe the Seers take interest in what happens there. Why, I can't tell you, but I have a feeling it's something big" Judging by the clues they've already unearthed? It can possibly be even bigger than the Time War.

Guardians? No Guardians!

Active Spells
    New ID
    (Amber Davenport)
    Striking Looks
    (Enchanting)
    Status
    (Medical)
    Presence
    (Collected)
    October
    Spells

Nimbis

+1
    SL
    PRE

A shrug and nod, “Yup. We’ve only talked less than a handful of times, so it only seems natural to say acquaintances.” Pouring more beer into her glass, she laughs, “Or I’m showing my age, either is plausible.” True enough. “If you actually have the textbook kicking around, I’ll give you fifty bucks here and now.” Humor in her voice as she watches him. “Hints? Now where is the fun in the game if there are hints? Lets see just how resourceful you are.” She raises her glass. “You do make a good point, and I think I know more than he did. Plus, they had a good run for a while before screwing it up. I think we’d do better.”

Shrugging, “Nothing wrong with being paranoid if it keeps you alive. I might leave some things to Fate, but when it comes to Seer’s, I’d rather be paranoid.” A nod, “That would be ideal, but it’s knowing where said pylon is and getting the power to win. Well, now we can have a little bit of luck on our side, and who knows? Might be all we need.” She could be optimistic at times.

“Oh, that always sucks to lose a cabalmate. We’re you guys close?”
    that would make the loss even worse. “Think Tank? Can’t say I’ve ever heard a name like that for a Cabal. Unique, fun and bonus points for being easy to pronounce and remember.” She’d heard some bizarre ones in her time.

“Well, lets hope it stays that way.” She raises her glass once again, “Huh, that’s interesting, now I want to go digging and find out the reasons. There are just so many fun little secrets here.”

omg, I am soo sorry about that!

S
    Shodan

Try as he might, Shodan couldn't find the book despite having a clear mental image of it. Finally, he gives up with a sigh "Fine. I give up. There goes my fifty bucks" Ah, he probably burned it with the rest of the corporate literature he's amassed over the years "But I don't know what age has to do with anything? You look twenty-one at most, anyway" He shrugs, putting in extra effort for the comment to seem as off-handed and disinterested as possible. However, it didn't escape the Obrimos' notice that this is the second time today October mentions her metric.

failure
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-09-02 15:01:06 Shodan rolls 5 to Textbook? (Wits + Comp) (10 Again) 2, 1, 6, 3, 1 failure

The prospect of having nothing to go on from the Acanthus herself made things more difficult, but she was right - where'd be the fun in that? "Fair enough. I'll do without, then. It'll be just like high school when I invited this girl I liked to a steakhouse, only to later learn she was vegan" The memory brings a smile, and even a small chuckle. He'll drink to that. But he's acquired some new tricks since that time.

3 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-09-02 15:03:03 Shodan rolls 7 to Know Virtue (Gno + Mind + WP; 2 mana spent for cloaking and non-ruling Arcanum) (10 Again, WillPower) 8, 7, 8, 4, 10, 1, 2, 4 3 successes

The mana flows to call on a tiny bit of Pandemonium and obscure the spell's tracks, so that October is none the wiser. Suddenly, the Prime Mover remembers how he planned to admonish Gemini for using magic on her fellow mages. But this is different, right? This is just a glance, changing nothing.

Shodan, you little cheater, you.

"You had any experiences with them in the past?" The Unicorn speaks about the Seers like a grizzled veteran... or that might just be Shodan's imagination "I have to say, until I came here it was just minor to moderate mischief for me. Sacramento is the first big league I play in"

He thinks about Kasterborous again. Langdon, Abacus. Were they close? They certainly had a good run, short though it may have been "Nah, not really. Think Tank lasted... two months, maybe three before the other three guys left" He doesn't sound resigned, in fact his tone shifts to something perfectly flat and neutral "We had plans for the city, you know? I mean, besides us there were two cabals in here - Aegis you already know about, and Nidhogg's Bane - apparently formed when our ranks were even thinner than today. But people moved on and now we're" Shodan's hands move as if to indicate something around the two mages "This. From three to zero" But there's no use crying over spilled milk. Salvage what you can and make something new, that's how the Obrimos always operated "Have you ever been part of a cabal? Or did they 'not catch your interest long enough' so far?"

Spent 2 mana and 1 WP. October can subtract her Composure from the spell roll. If any suxx remain, Shodan learns her Virtue

Active Spells
    New ID
    (Amber Davenport)
    Striking Looks
    (Enchanting)
    Status
    (Medical)
    Presence
    (Collected)
    October
    Spells

Nimbis

+1
    SL
    PRE

A shrug with a smile, “Better luck next time.” She teases with a laugh. “Oh, it really doesn’t. It’s just one of those sayings. And really? Twenty-one? See, you keep that up, and you’ll be making friends left and right. Plus earning points.” A nod, it was true.

At the revelation, she almost choked on her beer as she laughs, “Wow! Seriously?! I hope she was at least a good sport about it, cause even steakhouses sell rabbit food.” If the girl was a bitch about, then fuck her.

“A little, not enough to be an expert on them or anything. But enough to know how annoying and persistent they can be. I’ve fought along side other Awakened against some, but I try and avoid face to face confrontation. I prefer to work my magic from behind the scenes so to speak.” Where she couldn’t fight, throwing curses from a safe place worked just fine for her. “The crap they seem to be pulling here is new to me as well. The big league is a great way to phrase it.” She had to agree.

“Oh,” she sounded a bit surprised, “does the city have a high turnover rate?” hardly any time to get to know anyone. “What kind of plans if you don’t mind the question.” Every Cabal liked to have a purpose, something they did for the area. Shaking her head, “Wow, that’s crazy.” How were they supposed to get anything done if people kept leaving? A nod, “I have, a while ago, back in Boston. Wasn’t anything special, but it was nice to have people you could count on. But then school got insane, and things fell apart. Like with most things in life.”

Virtue!

S
    Shodan

"Better luck next time?" He scoffs, it sounds almost like she is making fun of him "You're an Acanthus, luck is your department. For all I know you specifically knew I won't find that book" He was slightly annoyed at the failure, even if it was this minor. He didn't like to fail, perhaps more than most people "Glad to hear my smooth-talk game is still on point, though. At least something good came out of the endless office politics at my old job" You'd think an organization built specifically to maximize profit would spend its time maximizing profit. And yet, corporations were teeming with schemes, betrayals and personal vendettas like they were Argentinian soap opera scripts.

The sour streaks in his mood dissipate quickly, however. It is, in no small part, due to the fact that he was awarded a brief look into October's soul. And he's going to take full advantage, you can be sure of that.

It's now his turn to look briefly concerned as the somewhat faded story of not doing enough background check elicits the almost-choke "Rabbit food?" He laughs, then makes a sniffing impression "I think I smell an avid carnivore over here" Which was just as well. When you have control over fire, it's a sin not to use it to prepare a steak from time to time.

"Yup" the Obrimos confirms bitterly "We have our share of... I call them tourists. Sometimes they stay a couple of weeks, sometimes a few months. Wish they settled, though. Or at least told us they plan to leave soon. It's not good for morale and battle-planning when you never know who you can count on" Imagine making a plan with Galatea the Shapeshifter in mind, only to learn she's halfway to New Zealand when you try to actually execute said plan "Think Tank was all about learning. The four of us had different areas of study, so we hoped we could learn from one another. But also, as is fitting for the four biggest nerds in the city, we hoped to educate others in what we were experts in. Cybersecurity. History. Finance. All kinds of things. Some are obviously practical, some not really but edifying nonetheless. Clearly, these plans are suspended for now, but at least I got to play graphic designer" Shodan rises from the table and goes over to one of the cupboards. He finds his mark without trouble this time and puts the sheet of paper with a sigil on the table before sitting down again.

"Whatever" The nostalgia was starting to get to him, and he drowned that sucker with a solid gulp of beer "I'm sure I'll get to rebuild it at some point. Sorry to hear about your thing falling apart, though. Even though if it lasted you'd most likely be there and not here, so good for us, bad for them" He says "What were your people like?" Know the woman by the company she keeps...

Active Spells
    New ID
    (Amber Davenport)
    Striking Looks
    (Enchanting)
    Status
    (Medical)
    Presence
    (Collected)
    October
    Spells

Nimbis

+1
    SL
    PRE

Had she struck a nerve? The thought amuses her, and she doesn’t hide it, “Of course.” A shrug. “And yes, it is my department. But for me to have known that, I would have had to cast a spell, and your little toy would have gone off.” She points out, “And glimpsing the conversation before hand just isn’t my style. I like talks to be organic. I just simply cannot help it if you didn’t have the book.” Clearly she was having fun with this. A solemn nod, “Oh yes, very on point.” she could give him that.

“Yeah, that’s what salad is. How anyone, except a rabbit, can have a full meal of just salad is beyond me.” Was that, disgust in her voice? “Damn right you do. Grew up grilling steaks year-round. Best teak I ever had came from grilling it in a snow storm.” She was a meat and potatoes kind of girl.

“Good term for them.” She could get behind that. “But I get what you mean, it can be dangerous to the rest of us if we depend on someone one and they flake.” Good way to get someone killed. “That’s actually a really good idea. There is a lot we can learn from each other. Though there are those who will push against learning something new. Think it shows a weakness in them or some crap.” She never understood that.

A shrug, “It’s how life goes, some stuff falls apart for something else to be built.” And they needed to be open to it. Chuckling, “Well, the job offer helped me make the decision to leave. The Cabal could have been rebuilt, but I needed a change.” And working at one of the top trauma hospitals was what she wanted. “There wasn’t a whole lot of us, six in total. A mixture of everything, from Paths to Orders. Everything from artists to teachers and everything in between. We just got along well and wanted the same things. Was nice.”

Page 2 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 17

You do not have permission to view the list of names.