Ended
Watch

Autumn Leaves and Autumn Returns

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
    P
    Penance

"That is probably the word I was looking for." She couldn't help but smile at the compliment and tried to hide it behind a sip of tea... not that a small teacup hid much of her grisly dental work. Her methods may be different, but it affirmed that her motives matched with her choice.

"Yes. I tried looking in my hometown first, but I found out that my Fetch had been forced to move to farm areas. Part of a big movement in China at the time. I did not expect to find her after that, but I tried and I did. It is.... very weird to find an old version of you. Nainai Penance does not age well. But she is alive. I found out that she knew she was a Fetch all along and hates me for forcing her to the country. She sees it as her being punished for my actions." Penance let out a mirthless laugh and looked down at her claws. "Not to say I have not already been punished."

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Mantle - Chilling breeze, summoning tiny leaves
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mein: Rhodes has pale whitish skin, elfin ears and deep, overly large emerald eyes. Thin black veins broach the surface of his skin like the roots of a tree emerging from the ground. Dark, broad leaves sprout from his wrists, ankles and temples, spreading around the back of his head. Deep red flowers bloom at the temples and wrists.
    Mantle

Mantle: A breath of icy wind, the kind that penetrates and sends a chill down the spine. Ash leaves in red, yellow and gold spin into existance around him, caught on the breeze. As the wind blows, unnerving whispers can be heard, always coming from a direction just out of one's field of vision.
    Rhodes Scenes

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

Rhodes nods, and sips his tea. The smile did not go unnoticed, but was not commented upon. Penance, for all her ferocious appearance, was a very self-conscious soul.

Slowly, the Dread Lord reaches into his jacket and pulls out photograph folded in half, opens it out and slides it across to the Ogre. It's a graduation photo of a clealy much younger Rhodes, unadorned by foiliage, the ghostly pale skin a much more natural tan, the eyes a normal size and a natural blue. The banner in the background says "Class of 2014".

"I never graduated. I, like so many, returned home once I fought my way out of the Hedge, and found this. Found it. I still hunt for it - my Fetch still has many years it can do damage to those around it... to my family, who will never accept me again." The Flowering returns the photo back into his pocket."One day, I will find him. One day soon. For now, I search, looking for him."

Rhodes watches the Ogre sternly. "We survived, Penance. Our appearences are our testament to that very survival. You need to stop regretting how you look, my dear. I happen to think you look stunning." The tingle in the Wyrd confirms what he says is true.
    Flowering Fairest, Mantle: An ever-changing, spine-chilling icy wind, creating spinning autumn leaves and haunting whispers.

P
    Penance

Penance gently takes the photograph in her claws to examine it. It was somewhat amusing to see a less jaded, less experienced Rhodes. Did he always carry this around in his jacket? Somehow, despite his eyes being definitively larger now, he looked wider eyed in the picture than the more self-assured Fairest she knew now.

"If you need help, do not be afraid to call on me. I am your Paladin, after all. I cannot have you putting your life at risk when I am available as support."
    She handed the photo back, but maintained eye contact as he discussed their situation. She clenched her hands together at his words, threatening to draw blood with her talons.

"I do not mind my appearance," her Wyrd vibrated menacingly in warning of her testing the binds of her promise, "...as much as you think. I do hate myself, but looks is only part of it. I cannot help but feel I was taken for a reason. If I had not been a demon beforehand, maybe I would not be here now. I hate myself because it reminds me that I was always a monster. Now I look like one too." Like with his statement, the Wyrd connecting them for the time being let him know she truly did think of herself that way.

"But that is why I was worried my Fetch might be a danger. I have morals now, what if it does not? I am lucky in that it does not. It hates me a lot and we had a fight. I have not punched an old woman in the face for a long time. But I do not think she will be a problem for anyone else."

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mein: Rhodes has pale whitish skin, elfin ears and deep, overly large emerald eyes. Thin black veins broach the surface of his skin like the roots of a tree emerging from the ground. Dark, broad leaves sprout from his wrists, ankles and temples, spreading around the back of his head. Deep red flowers bloom at the temples and wrists.
    Mantle

Mantle: A breath of icy wind, the kind that penetrates and sends a chill down the spine. Ash leaves in red, yellow and gold spin into existance around him, caught on the breeze. As the wind blows, unnerving whispers can be heard, always coming from a direction just out of one's field of vision.
    Rhodes Scenes

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

The Autumn Sovereign gives her a single not. "Oh, I will. I too cannot leave this creature to chance, and fighting is not my style."

The pressure on the Vow causes an eyebrow to raise. "Forgive me. Truly, I meant no insult. If your feelings are more than, well, skin deep about your past, consider this." He sips his tea. "You hate what you were. You suspect it lead to your Durance. Unless you dedicate substantial time and effort to a dangerous venture, you will never know for sure. But now... now I think you seek to be more than what you are. Whether that is a more honourable being or simply to deny your keeper the monster they wanted I cannot say, and do not ask. But hate, anger? These are different paths. Ones that are responses to Fear. All I ask is you be mindful of the motivation. And if you wish for council, you can seek me."

When Penance speaks of her Fetch, the winds die down, and he listens attentively. Only when she has finished does he speak after a long pause. "We diverge greatly, Fetches and and ourselves. I hope this Fear is at rest, and use what you have learned to understand Fear a little more."
    Flowering Fairest, Mantle: An ever-changing, spine-chilling icy wind, creating spinning autumn leaves and haunting whispers.

P
    Penance

Penance mulled over the food for thought Rhodes provided for her. It was true, though she had her suspicions as to why she was taken, the only way to confirm them was to go straight to the source, a foolhardy task that would merely end in her death if she was lucky. And the only evidence she had to base that on was a gut feeling heavily tinted with regret and self-loathing. And after examining the reasons for her fear, that her Fetch might be violent murderer on the loose, she had conceded that she was a different person who entered, or even stayed in, Arcadia. Her past was still a driving force behind her, but that did not mean it defined her.

"You have provided me a lot to think about. I did not think this meeting would turn out so... thoughtful? But you are right, I think I am looking to be someone else. Someone who does not need to look human to be human."

"Although... if I might ask. Can it not also be the other way around? I think you can fear your own anger as much as you can respond to fear with anger. ...If that makes sense." She began getting up from the table and putting her cup back where she found it.

"My fear has been solved. If she is a danger, she is only a danger to me and I do not think she has the means to act on it. But I think I now have more stuff to think on. In the meantime, it is good to be back home."

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mantle

Rhodes Scenes

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

The Ashern Sovereign shrugs, with a slight smile. "I seem to have that effect on people. I take it as a mark if pride that I encourage thought in others."

He leans back in the tall chair. "True enough, I suppose. Fear will always come back around. There are always new things to Fear."

Rhodes nods. "Dealing with a Fetch requires a lot of thought. But I must say, it is very good to have you back Penance." He gives the Ogre an easy smile. "Oh. While I remember, I'm going to be doing a remedial course on our occult skills - pledges, contracts, that kind of thing. In case you were interested."

P
    Penance

"That would likely be a good thing for me to go to. It is supposed to be our, how you say, ni-chey? What we are good at. But I would feel sorry for anyone who came to me for help." She gives a wry chuckle before leaning over the back of her chair, draping her claws off the side.

"Are any other Autumns going to be there or are they too smart to go?"

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mantle

Rhodes Scenes

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

"Niche," Rhodes clarifies gently. "And yes. But no-one knows everything, and we all start somewhere. A willingness to learn is just as important. And I'm sure you have talents to help people. There are many kinds of Autumn Courtier. If you don't want to be a magically academic one, you can focus on understanding Fear, or shielding others from it. Or, more than that, simply be someone this Freehold can turn to, and show Autumn still stands tall."

The Dread Lord sighs. "I'm afraid we are the Leaden Mirror again, Penance. We had a visitor, Moon, who had to leave, but may be back for our Season. Otherwise, Fall remains one of the smallest in the Freehold."

P
    Penance

"Ah, thank you. I had only read that word before." She was glad to hear there was more than one path open to her. Even before she'd became an Ogre, she had never been the scholarly type, so she counted herself lucky she could still serve in other capacities. "I had been content in just spreading fear. It is at least easy for me to do. However, I like the idea of being a shield from it." A wry smirk spread across her face, exacerbated by her oversized maw. "And who is to say I cannot do both? A shield that is made of fear and also repels it."

Her grin fades and her brow furrows at Rhodes' revelation.

"Ni zài kāiwánxiào. My apologies, I should not have left when I did. If I had known how few our numbers were..." She'd what? Not have gone? It wasn't like she hadn't been aware of how few they were beforehand, that hadn't stopped her originally. But perhaps if she'd been more cognizant. Had she thought about what she was doing rather than operating on instinct. "I will try not to leave you unguarded again. Fall needs a sovereign. And I would not be a good Paladin to leave you in danger like that again."

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mantle

Rhodes Scenes

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

Rhodes spreads his hands, smiling. "Of course you can be both. You have an intrinsic feel for the subtleties of Fear that I consider most encouraging. Follow that path and I am sure your Mantle will grow."

He pauses, thinking. "The first step of that path is learning how to read one's fear, the first clause of the Contracts of Fleeting Autumn. I can teach you it, if you wish. The more you follow, the better you can invoke, and control fear both in yourself and others." The Dread Lord's gaze moves out the window at the clear summer sky.

He looks back, shaking his head, and waves the apology away. "I rarely joke about such things. I understand this case - you had to go, and I would not have any right to stop you." Or means, but that does not matter for now. "However, a little warning next time, perhaps? A Sovereign should be able to keep track of a single subject, after all." A slight edge and steely look enter the Dread Lord's eye - despite the leisurely tone this is not really a request. The icy breeze of his mantle ripples coldly across the room. "Still!" The Flowering rises suddenly, moving out of the chair. "Our thoughts should turn to the Equinox. Come with me. I have something to show you."

He moved briskly out of the room and up the sweeping staircase, leaves spinning excitedly in his wake. Moving down the landing, Rhodes opens the door to the master bedroom and stands by the door to the closet. "I have been working on this for some time. I hope that this coronation will let it be ready, and I could certainly use your help."

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread