Ended
Watch

Yard Sailing

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    M
    Mr. Moon

"I see." It reminded Mr. Moon of when a finger was dragged around the rim of a wineglass to make a tone. "Is volume an issue? Is there a point where the notes are too high or too low? Generally when I listen to things, I prefer talk radio. I find it easier to follow."

Mr. Moon was quiet for a time, after given permission to ask.

"I am not," Mr. Moon finally says, searching for the best way to say it. "Good with people. They are loud and messy and don't respect my bubble. I am often times sensitive, overly so. I commonly think the worst of others, even innocuous things that probably don't mean what I feel they mean in the moment. I need to know who is..." He screws up his face. "Who is someone I need to give more patience to than others? Like, at the pool party. Is Circe always Like That? Is there some way that I can get her to stop if she decides to target me, or do I just need to avoid her and stay out of her line of sight? Are there any land mines that I need to be wary of? Are there overly blunt people that I need to keep in mind aren't really trying to intimidate me? Will I offend if I don't want to be physically social with the freehold? There are so many Fairest, do I need to attach myself to one to keep one of them from scooping me up? Or will they respect me if I tell them to fuck off?"

Massive apologies for drifting away from changeling, Krakenbox. Thank you for your patience with me.

Presence
    (Distant)
    Rigid Mask
    Summer Mantle
    (Cloying metallic scent, pressure)
    Fawkes
    Mien Details:

An expressionless humanoid with a sectioned doll-like exoskeleton of sand-blasted glass. He has glass eyes that move and blink, and his mouth moves enough to speak naturally without a speech impediment, but does not emote. Fawkes does have the same hair as his Mask escaping from cracks in his scalp. It is actually magnetized red sand; any facial hair (eyebrows, beard, eyelashes) have to be artificially applied by hand.
    Active Pledges:

Mentorship - Seraphina (Exp. Summer Coronation)

Renewal Required:

Good Neighbours - John Doe (Exp. 04/07)
    Good Neighbours - Maxwell J. Pierce (Exp. 03/26)

PRE

"Um. It used to be. When I wasn't used to things. I had a hard time speaking. Couldn't get a proper vibration or pitch going through whatever my vocal cords are supposed to be," being an Elemental was fucking weird sometimes. "I learned by focusing on those aspects and the physical effect. Got better with my element. I picked it up quicker with music than what you would assume you should do." Voice lessons and speech therapy had no impact, much to the frustration of his peers. "Now I just find it interesting. You can find things reading between the lines, in hidden places. You hear it." Fawkes paused. It was hard to describe or parse to another individual that didn't experience the complete departure from the human experience, and he was being chattier than necessary. It was a question rarely asked—never here—and he had been in Sacramento since January.

As Mr. Moon reaches out to avoid social awkwardness, he could relate to some extent. Though Fawkes rarely felt embarrassment; he simply understood that when one catered to another's perception, they were easier to nudge in a direction that was beneficial. The Contract worked in a similar vein, funny how that worked out. By the third question, Fawkes reflexively held up a hand before frowning, "Sorry. Don't mean to be rude. Can you ask one thing at a time?" his mouth twitched a smile, "I'm not a Lord of the Eternal Echoes."

He parsed out the first bit once Mr. Moon gave him a gap to stream with. "Sacramento is pretty easy. Small population. I've seen grudges evaporate with just some time and an apology. They want things to stay copacetic. You'll learn their temperaments with just some observation. I've barely stepped on any toes and I could be described as abrasive."

He snorted sharply. The Wizened was asking who was kid-gloves? "All of Spring. Except Abraham and Seraphina. Abraham just wants to be taken seriously. Sera wants to be liked and won't voice her opinion loudly. But she's tough. Titania is smarter than she lets on. She's pushy and deals with- Whatever her situation is, by pretending we're all in an Arthurian Court. If she gets all red in the face, you probably just said something that doesn't match with her script. Exegesis...you haven't met them. Amber skin and galaxy eyes. They touch to be friendly. So there's your bubble warning. Sonnie comes off as childish. But she's working with instinct and won't poke a bear." He had almost decked the Gardhava out of reflex; it was one of his own annoying quirks.

Input-output. Put them to the floor.

"Circe is always like that. Like. She just wants friends. But she gets really raunchy if you give her an inch. I've only seen her handsy with women. Um. I think it's a Fairest thing with her. Like. No boundaries in social situations. She won't bother you if you ask her to stop, but honestly you won't hold her interest unless you match her energy." He didn't feel like getting into her thirsty ways. Mr. Moon didn't come off as someone she would dive for: she didn't seek to embarrass, she was just looking for a good time. John Doe was a poor bastard that she threw herself at, but the man was such a beta. He liked the attention at least.

"Are there any land mines that I need to be wary of?"

"Um. The only real issues I've run into is Cole. He's a Metalflesh that's been put in time out. Think- Antisocial Personality Disorder, but his tantrums involve lighting himself on fire. He's fine until you disagree with him. A few of the others didn't really notice that he just kind of...projects his own stuff onto whoever gives him the time. He tries to make friends by offering a gift, but he's got no attention span to finish a project. And really it's only ever in service to his vanity. We've tried. He never actually listens to you. Just locks onto what he finds amusing to add to his image. It would be fine if he wasn't so volatile. From what I gather. People were just kind of...ignoring him because Summer wasn't a presence. The problems started when an ounce of leadership and respect was requested of him. He's dangerous, and Richard is hoping time away for him to sort his shit will lend some leverage. Suggested joining the Tolltakers for a while because all he is asking for is to hurt things with his Wrath."

"Are there overly blunt people that I need to keep in mind aren't really trying to intimidate me?"

"Me. Probably," Fawkes shrugged. "I don't intimidate. If I want to hurt you, I just do it. I make it clear when you're pissing me off. If I'm repeating something back, it's for clarification. I'm not very talented with nuance and can't map to your perspective as easily as you think. It's your opportunity to correct me, not being snide or accusatory. I haven't started an argument with it yet. So. Guess it works just fine." He watches idly if his driver has a reaction to his openness. He wasn't about to pretend to an Autumn that he was anything less than a living weapon.

"Will I offend if I don't want to be physically social with the freehold?"

"No. If you're talking about ghosting gatherings, a letter to the host doesn't hurt. They aren't malicious, they sometimes just get their feelings hurt. Small community," he said. "You're pretty formal already. If you're having an off day just send a card, man."

"There are so many Fairest, do I need to attach myself to one to keep one of them from scooping me up? Or will they respect me if I tell them to fuck off?"

Fawkes actually laughs—a rough bark of a sound. "Rhodes has been Court-of-One for a while. He might have a bit of a complex. He never sought any help. Just moons after Sera. That shit you saw at the pool party was him wanting to feel important. I didn't care. I don't argue with Fairest. If you tell them to fuck off. I'm not sure as I've never done it?" he glanced at Mr. Moon, trying to imagine the stiff creature getting mad. "You're better off distracting them."

Did Fawkes just tell him to wiggle some keys?

M
    Mr. Moon

"Do you play anything?" Mr. Moon asks, curious. "The way you talk about it makes me think you might get something out of playing a stringed instrument, like a violin. The way they hold it under their chin? It might do something interesting with your anatomy?" The idea in his head is that the vibration in the instrument combined with how Fawkes's body is in contact with it might have some harmonic reaction. He shrugs. He isn't meaning to be offensive, and if he is being offensive it looks like Fawkes will just tell him to knock it off instead of being weird about it. "Have you ever listened to a Glass Armonica?"

When Fawkes asks him to slow down, Mr. Moon nods his head and responds, "Of course. Apologies." He then repeats them one by one in a back and forth.

He nods at the overview of Spring, his mouth narrowing and his grip on the wheel tightening at the mention of Exegesis. He didn't know what he thought of them, his feeling were so tangled up. They had been at the pool party, but had been very quiet, Mr. Moon thought they were caught up in some kind of fugue or sulk because they weren't the center of attention. It didn't surprise him that Fawkes might have missed them, since he was focused on the strange new faces that had shown up. "I try to give Beasts a little more slack. I won't treat her like a child."

It was good to know that Circe wouldn't just... rub up on him like a cat in heat. You could never tell with fairest. Sometimes they didn't realize that they were being pushy, but sometimes they would do it just to be pushy to prove they could, or that they were better than you, or who fucking knows why.

When Fawkes talks about the Metalflesh, Mr. Moon grunts. Tantrums that lead to lighting himself on fire? No. Thank. You. If he ever needed to talk to the kid, he'd Reason with him.

Well, his knees.

He nods at Fawke's statement about intimidation and how he doesn't do that. He isn't looking at the man, but it's the kind of not looking at someone because you're paying attention to the road, not because you're afraid that the passenger might suddenly whip out a shiv and slit your throat. Mr. Moon is a defensive driver, at least inside a city. He seems to appreciate the openness, or at least he isn't shocked. Considering he was just thinking about the best way to deal with someone who was light-yourself-on-fire-crazy was to whip out a gun and shoot them in the knees, it might be understandable. All Lost were dangerous, in their own special ways.

The advice on how to handle not offending party throwers is good. His advice on dealing with the Flurry of Fairest? "So throw candy in one direction and duck away in another?" He snorts, amused.

Hm. One question at a time.

"Does Rhodes beat Seraphina?" It wouldn't be the first Autumn Mr. Moon met who liked that flavor of fear. It made you feel strong, and that's addictive. You hardly had to have been stolen away by the Gentry to let a taste for abuse worm it's way into your head though. The way she had shown off the bruise at the pool party might also just mean that Seraphina liked that sort of thing? Or that whatever it was was some kind of open secret within the community? But if the Autumn King beat people hard enough to bruise, then Mr. Moon was going to have to take steps to protect himself when meeting with him.

Presence
    (Distant)
    Rigid Mask
    Summer Mantle
    Fawkes
    Mien Details:

An expressionless humanoid with a sectioned doll-like exoskeleton of sand-blasted glass. He has glass eyes that move and blink, and his mouth moves enough to speak naturally without a speech impediment, but does not emote. Fawkes does have the same hair as his Mask escaping from cracks in his scalp. It is actually magnetized red sand; any facial hair (eyebrows, beard, eyelashes) have to be artificially applied by hand.
    Active Pledges:

Renewal Required:

PRE

Huh?

Had he missed something? Fawkes blinked, brow furrowing at the question. "Oh. That was me," he said once he realized what Mr. Moon was getting at. The Elemental paused, shrinking a bit as he turned to look out the window. It was one of the few things that did make him feel self-conscious.

"She was interested in sparring and told me she had experience. I overestimated her ability due to her confidence and rank. I did three separate check-ins, asked if she wanted to call someone beforehand. I didn't know she had any interest in Rhodes. Because you'd think that's who she would have called about a match with a stranger and no Pledge. Um. She asked for it to be as true to life as possible. I can hit pretty hard. Wasn't excited when she didn't get up," he scratched under his eye.

"I checked her into the hospital since I'm not a doctor. She was interested in Mentorship. We've been training weekly. She didn't know how to Pledge. Like I said: weird for her to be with the King of Witchcraft and Fear and not know a damn thing. She's eager to learn though. So I guess he was just mum about his knowledge. Also weird that her Court hadn't healed it. Maybe they kept quiet?"
    He didn't like the idea that she avoided treatment for his sake.

M
    Mr. Moon

Beep Boop, Back it up Beepatrice!
    Mr. Moon is throwing Wits + Empathy at Fawkes' last post, to pick up why he's OBVIOUSLY trying to deflect the topic back on Rhodes.
      4 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-06-15 00:41:06 Mr. Moon rolls 6 to Wit + Emp -2 on Fawkes (10 Again) 9, 6, 10, 2, 10, 5, 9, 6 4 successes

Presence
    (Distant)
    Rigid Mask
    Summer Mantle
    Fawkes
    Mien Details:

Active Pledges:

Renewal Required:

PRE

The Elemental has clearly shifted in his demeanor. The address is flat, but it sounds like he has repeated the story several times at this juncture. He doesn't appear to be hiding anything in regards to his participation, and is discouraged, guilty, and confused. He clearly favours Seraphina in his iteration and is wrestling with facts versus idealization. He is deflecting the blame onto someone else to spare her own negligence. Rhodes is an easy target because he is in a position of authority, but it doesn't appear to be targeted malicious intent, and more lashing out from a long boiled frustration.

M
    Mr. Moon

Mr. Moon compresses his lips, but redirects the topic to other, less personally intensive, matters. They spend a good chunk of the day traveling from yard sale to estate sale, collecting examples of the leftovers dead people leave behind, that the living decided was worth more in boxes for strangers to pick through.

Sorry again, I'm just swamped with too much stuff right now for two characters. I release Fawkes into the wild once more, to keep people on their toes.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 11

You do not have permission to view the list of names.