The Rider and the Detective

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last

Presence
    (Formidable)
    Madcap

PRE

Attached to the mansion that was Chapter House Florin was a generous garage space, as one would expect from such a well appointed residence. Near the far end of the space there was a door leading to a windowless space likely meant to be used as an office or storage space, although Madcap, the Dragon who had taken residence in this room at the Chapter House, had since taken it as his personal "suite", placing his effects and cot within. However, the contents of the room were unknown and unapparent here, as the door was closed.

Instead the room's resident was in the garage, beside his closed haven. The Bruja was tending to his baby, giving the metal horse a shine. He was dressed simply, a pair of well-worn blue jeans, old white tank top, and black cowboy boots discolored slightly from age and wear. The Bruja's shirt, hands, and arms bore the black marks of grease, likely from some earlier maintenance.

Focused on his task, ol' Cap was silent, a lit cigarette hanging lazily from his mouth with his nose bellowing smoke now and then to keep that nicotine high coming. Sitting on a stool was a small stereo spouting out some classic tunes, currently it played The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Either by design or neglect, the door to the greater mansion of the Dragons remained open, welcoming any who found themselves among their number.

O
    Orion

Wrong acct

L
    Lina Moretti

The Onyx Scholar had a detective's ears, and the Wreck called to her from afar, bringing her across the House from her lofty, top-storey perch and down into the garage. Madcap had made a home of it, and frankly, she was due for a chat with this newer recruit. Tough and stoic, the Gangrel biker seemed like a very typical specimen of his Clan -- but then, he'd shown even more balls at Court than most. Courage could be a double-edged sword in Kindred politics, but so far, he was doing fine. She'd need to see what he got himself up to to see if those balls were matched with brains.

As she rounded the corner, the Grand Wyrm braced herself for the spike of fear that flowed down her brain stem and into her body as she faced the mighty Beast of the Bruja, who was working over his bike with a cloth or something.

"Looking shiny, Cap."

She flashed the guy a smile and crossed her arms. The Daeva was wearing jeans and a plain black tank-top that revealed toned muscle and pale skin. Her hip bore her ever-present Bowie.

Presence
    (Formidable)
    Madcap

PRE

The voice of the Grand Wyrm drew the attention of the Bruja, shaken from his 'zen'. The Beast wanted to tear her apart, but the growl of Cap's Will brought in back under control.

"Well, I'll be damned," he said with a smirk as he wiped his hands and tossed the cloth, "Grand Wyrm finally found time to come down from her perch, huh?"

The tone of the Bruja's words and his smile made it apparent he was joking, adding levity at a time when their Beasts had voiced their primal opinions. Walking to the door of his haven, Madcap dipped inside. The sound of a mini-fridge opening and closing was heard. Soon after the Bruja re-emerged, two Coronas and a bottle opener in hand.

Approaching Lina, Cap would hold one out to her.

"What brings ya to my pit, Moretti?" he asks. He didn't have much direct experience with the Grand Wyrm. He assumed she had come for a reason.

L
    Lina Moretti

"Engine room's where the magic happens," Moretti quipped playfully, stepping into the garage proper with her hands in her pockets. As he popped into his haven proper and grabbed the beers, a grin flashed across her face and she accepted the offering with a nod and a quiet word of thanks. Blood flowed, both to the skin and to her stomach, and she sipped the cheap beer. It never tasted like it used to, but there was a certain luxury in being able to spend the Vitae on such a thing. "I figure we haven't had a proper chance to have a talk yet, King of Swords." The reference to his Fate Card suggested she'd gotten his letter. It certainly told her a thing or two about the Supplicant, but hell, Blackbird and Prosper had borne the same Fate -- and look at how they turned out so differently. "I wanted to know more about the man behind the card. How're you settling into the place?"

Open-ended. It could mean Sacramento, or the Chapterhouse, or his garage...

Presence
    (Formidable)
    Madcap

PRE

"Suits me fine," Madcap says as his gaze turns to the garage itself before seating himself on his bike, "A bit more... rich than I'm used to I suppose. Could be a bane or a benefit depending. All comes down to how I adapt."

He takes a drink of the beer and pauses, his face easily conveying his pondering state. "As far as the man behind the card," he says, "I ain't exactly shy so it all depends on you."

Madcap wasn't opposed to talking about himself, but its clear the man didn't do it often given his often laconic nature. If Lina wished to know more, it'd help to be more specific. After all Madcap's history, like many Kindred around his age, was long and storied compared to those of mortal men.

"What did you want to know?" he asked, moving to help steer the Grand Wyrm to more objective conversation. She wanted to get to know him and, for the moment, the Bruja saw no reason to block her.

L
    Lina Moretti

"People don't bug people who live in big houses at home," Moretti replied, leaning against the wall as he sat himself on the bike. There was anonymity in lower-end-rich living. You weren't the kind of people who drew tons of attention, but crooks and cops didn't give a fuck about you. You were too wealthy to cause a problem, but also wealthy enough that if someone fucked with your stuff, the police would capital-C Care.

The Onyx thought about it a second. What exactly did she want to know about the rough Supplicant?

"Well, one thing came to mind. A rare sort of political courage that you don't see every day. You bounced out of Court early. Bold move. I appreciated it."

A tight-lipped smile crossed her face as she considered him.

"What drove you to decide to do that?"

Presence
    (Formidable)
    Madcap

PRE

"True enough," Madcap would say. He had is own experience with the wealthy, though his wealthier associates had been a bit more... clandestine with their affairs than more quiet members of America's unlabeled gentry.

A huff left the Bruja's mouth as Lina voiced her question.

"I left because it's clear the Prince has gotten too comfortable,"
    he said, "In one evening, Alessandra barred an entire covenant from feeding from the actions of a single member, even though that outburst was absolutely necessary. More than that, her offering to 'work something out with the Dragons' stinks of some barely veiled attempt to corral us into owing her a favor. Fuck. That. She also barred Garcia from feeding and sent him to the Barrens to starve while the true instigator of their spat cowered behind her for protection. Not the only one she's sentenced to that either."

"It ain't exactly a secret that I took issue with Jack when he tried to force Prestation in my name," he continued, "And the Prince's inaction on that point - and her subsequent blind protection of the little shit - is a sign of naivety or a delusional ego. My money's on the latter. I think she believes her reign is above reproach or that she boasts too many weapons that a threat to her rule is impossible. She's wrong. Her dishonor will invite instability, whether I choose to become involved or not. That's not a threat. It's the truth and I think you're smart enough to see that. She's forming the potential for a war."

Moretti was the Sheriff. Madcap wasn't so dense to assume the Grand Wyrm was here in only a single capacity. He had been told the Sheriff was a clever one. Thus, it seemed important to state he had no active intentions to rebel against Sacramento's 'sovereign'. Not yet, anyway. Still, he wasn't going to sit there and try and bullshit Lina. More than a Sheriff, Lina was the Grand Wyrm and a Sworn of Mysteries. While her dedication and work had been dismissed by Alessandra, it would not be so in the Chapter House.

"To put it more simply, Grand Wyrm," he said, "I left because I think the Prince is an idiot. Or at least that she has been since I came around."

L
    Lina Moretti

The seeds of anger needed to be met with calm logic. She got why he was angry, lord, did she ever, but Beasts were up, and they needed to come down.

"Egos are bumping up against egos, and Beasts are clashing with Beasts. There are a ton of feelings flying around right now. Mine, too, to be fair. I feel like my work, months of work trying to whip this disorganized grip of vampires into something resembling a capable force, has been entirely pointless, for example.

But let's be real. War's no good for anyone. I'm confident that we and our allies could get the job done, but we'd lose people. Me, for sure, and likely you and Atticus, too. And for what? This is a fucking dispute over hurt feelings and, ironically, not doing horrifying shit. It isn't worth it. Nobody has done anything that they can't walk back yet.

If it came down to it and negotiations can't make a reasonable arrangement, our Chapter is our people and our friends that we work with, not this particular patch of land. What's stopping us from going and taking the next patch of land down the road? We are all pretty good at making a peaceful and effective place for us to do the Great Work. That's why I am Sheriff, and I can do it just as well in Carson City, or Reno, or Oakland, or even fuckin' Davis. And the same is true of you, and Prosper, and Atticus, and Vitale. And we sure as hell aren't short on friends to come make it work with us. The thing to be musing over, if we're going to discuss a hypothetical, is why here? What makes Sacra-fucking-mento worth dying for?"

Presence
    (Formidable)
    Madcap

(Boooooooooooze!)Vitae 1 Spent
    PRE

She talked about allies. That was good, but it already seemed to Madcap that the Dragons owned a certain esteem here, save for within the mind of the Prince herself. However, as Lina states that war was no good for anyone, the Bruja merely shook his head.

"To be clear, Moretti, war was something I endured in my time among the Kine,"
    he said, "Through it, we were able to free France, Poland, and others from an invader, Italy and Germany from the fascists, and returned Europe to a manageable peace. I agree war ain't pretty, but to say it isn't good in any situation is just... well, let's say misinformed. Ain't gonna say something more colorful here. Also it isn't usually the choice the defenders to have to defend themselves, instigators will push regardless of their intentions. Considering the skin both the Prince and the Harpy wear, it seems clear who that is going to be when the time comes. It is the nature of those closing in with the Beast to want destruction."

Then she spoke of the sanctity and mobility of the chapter itself, prompting a chuckle from the rough Gangrel as he finally drank his beer.

"If that were true, ma'am,"
    he said once his thirst was slaked, "I get the feeling we would have already picked up sticks. Some Chapters out east and across the sea have persisted where they are for literal centuries. The land, like ley lines and the very subject matter we study, is important. Even more than that, the Chapter has made its networks here. Among Kindred and, surely, among the kine as well. It's Grand Wyrm earned a regency, which tells me our place in Florin was gained through duty and blood. Even more, the casual nature of the disintegration of your powerbase as Regent tells me the punishment surprised you. Such judgements on the part of the Prince shouldn't be made flippantly. You ask why Sacramento is worth fighting for. I'm here to remind you that Sacramento is your home and, if we want to get simpler than that, it should be fought for by principle alone if other reasoning fails. That bitch snubbed you and all of us because she feels her powerbase is unassailable. She's forgotten that it is your contributions in Sheriff that have allowed her these comforts."

A pause.

"It's time to remind her," he says, "Whether that's by word or act is up to you. I'll only say this, I am a recent arrival. If that little despot thinks she can push me to the Barrens because she doesn't like something I say, I'll happily take my leave instead of enduring her proclamation. Her edicts don't mean shit to me and I don't have enough invested here to stick around, but you? You got more investment. Don't pretend you don't and don't just grovel until she decides your penance is done."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread