Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

The Fiery Forgemaster
    Strength
    Composure
    (Wrath's fire can break any metal.)
    Status
    (Arms Dealers)
    Cole Volker

An average man with a few scars and burns, in the mask his skin is a faint grey color and his veins seem to glow at times.

PRE

Cole had much to learn on pledges. He listened to the lecture, genuinely interested in the subject matter, not wanting to interrupt. He soaked it all in- this was good. Perhaps he should rethink these... But still...

"The difference is that mortals abusing trust isn't magically binding- and are made with mortal trust. The sense of security a magical contract might provide could be seen as much more authentic, create a much more full sense. While that might make betrayal unlikely, it... Makes things so much worse when it is broken. Pledged, we could still be lied to."

He had a point though. Not everyone could get used to that kind of life.

"I Get what you mean though. My views on pledges are still tricky. But... I can see how the freehold benefits. I will keep it in mind, and remain vigilant- and should the worst happen, I will be ready. Thank you, for the explanation. If... Ah... If you ever want lessons on hedgespinning I would be more than willing. I'm sure you have.. Better things you could be doing."

He didn't think the lesson was over, but did wish to discuss other matters of the occult. He'd given a pretty clear lesson on pledges, and convinced Cole of their benefit. The miracles banishment and a stiff drink could accomplish.

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Mantle - Chilling breeze, summoning tiny leaves
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mein: Rhodes has pale whitish skin, elfin ears and deep, overly large emerald eyes. Thin black veins broach the surface of his skin like the roots of a tree emerging from the ground. Dark, broad leaves sprout from his wrists, ankles and temples, spreading around the back of his head. Deep red flowers bloom at the temples and wrists.
    Mantle

Mantle: A breath of icy wind, the kind that penetrates and sends a chill down the spine. Ash leaves in red, yellow and gold spin into existance around him, caught on the breeze. As the wind blows, unnerving whispers can be heard, always coming from a direction just out of one's field of vision.
    Rhodes Scenes

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

Rhodes watches the inebriated golem try to express why pledges are flawed. Cole seemed determined to focus on the singular fact that Pledges were not guaranteed.

"Mr Volker.... Cole. If you are looking for a Pledge that grants you an unbreakable guarantee, and criticizing that it can't be done... Then you are right, but I would love for you to show me a better alternative," The Dread Lord spreads his hands wide, openly. "That is no different to a mortal promise. You are criticizing rules of magic that cannot be changed. If you are forging a blade, and you hit he blade at the wrong time, and it shatters, you blame the smith's failure to attend to the task, not the sword for being too brittle. So it is with Pledges. They are not infallible. They are not immune to interpretation and bending. They simply are, and it is the Pledge-smiths of the world, like myself, that work those words so they are not shattered. It is better to have the tool than not - a sword in combat, or a Pledge when binding ourselves together in purpose."

He slips the book on Fae back into the satchel and leans back in his chair. "Suppose we made a Pledge of Peace, sworn on the names of our keepers, blessing us with riches and cursing us to poverty when we fail, for a year. And you consider, down the line, you want to punch me for some insult. Is it worth loosing your resources? Your Keeper knowing where you are? Your fellows knowing you would break an oath for a single second of satisfaction?" Piercing Emerald eyes, larger than a usual human's, lock on to him. "The rational mind, Wrathful or not, needs to see the difference. A forge burns slowly for the best iron. Too fast, and the metal is brittle. Release heat too quickly and your arguments are brittle, weak. But burn hot and slow? Forge your words with the same care as your blades? They are no less passionate but far harder to refute."

The Flowering strokes his chin. "Consider this. Which Court loses most from a Freehold Oath? Do we loose Desire? Wrath? Sorrow?" The eyes twinkle coldly, and the Dread Lord's icy winds of his mantle bluster around the forge, spinning red and gold leaves into the air. His voice becomes hard. "No - we stem Fear. Pledges add reassurance, and hold the innate distrust most of us have at bay a little longer. Every Oath minimizes Fear. It does not remove it, because Fear is eternal, but they work to overcoming it, controlling it. Every Pledge we make sacrifices Fears - our own, or our oath-sworn - for the greater good. Do we resent our emotion being masked? No. A sacrifice we make willingly, and the Leaden Mirror compromises by seeking to master pledges and contracts and magics better than anyone else - and pass that on to those that do not have to give up their bonds for basic trust. Eventually every Court must stem it's emotion for the betterment of all."

He snatches a yellow leaf from the air around him. "Pledges, like contracts, like life... offer so few certainties." Rhodes shakes his head, watching the leaf. "The knowledge of betrayal can be ours through the vows of the Wyrd. If you can bet on nothing else, you will know an oathbreaker with a Pledge." He sighs, and tosses the leaf, which rides a gust of wind to the fire.

"Now," he says briskly, resuming the former tempo. "Is there something else you wish to discuss? The Hedge perhaps? Kiths and Seemings? Oneiromancy?" The Dread Lord watches Cole carefully, and sips the water, looking at the bottle. "If we're carrying on, I don't know about you but I might need something stronger. Though I think you may have had enough, dear boy. Don't you?"
    Flowering Fairest, Mantle: An ever-changing, spine-chilling icy wind, creating spinning autumn leaves and haunting whispers.

The Fiery Forgemaster
    Strength
    Composure
    Status
    (Arms Dealers)
    Cole Volker

An average man with a few scars and burns, in the mask his skin is a faint grey color and his veins seem to glow at times.

PRE

Ironsides understood the point. Not trying was never as good as trying-even in futility. an Oath would make everyone feel safer, and might bring actual security. It would be worth the risks that came with it, and so long as people like Cole were around anyone that took advantage wouldn't last long.

"I get it. though, I'd argue fear is omnipresent among our kind. That we no longer look over our shoulders doesn't mean we fear what lies before us just as much. If we were to organize in such a way, what then would be our next goal? No, fear will will always be in abundance for our kind, no mattter how we might hide it." Even Cole had fears. Not that the Autumn Monarch would ever know them.

"Anyways. You've alleviated a lot of my concerns, lad... Thank you. And if you want something stronger, I think I have some whiskey in here?" the metalflesh pulled a bottle out and tossed it their way. "And if we're still talking, learning about Oneiromancy might be useful. Is Dream Therapy a thing? I think... I think it'd be beneficial to have someone like that."

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mein: Rhodes has pale whitish skin, elfin ears and deep, overly large emerald eyes. Thin black veins broach the surface of his skin like the roots of a tree emerging from the ground. Dark, broad leaves sprout from his wrists, ankles and temples, spreading around the back of his head. Deep red flowers bloom at the temples and wrists.
    Mantle

Mantle: A breath of icy wind, the kind that penetrates and sends a chill down the spine. Ash leaves in red, yellow and gold spin into existance around him, caught on the breeze. As the wind blows, unnerving whispers can be heard, always coming from a direction just out of one's field of vision.
    Rhodes Scenes

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

Slowly, a wide, sinister grin spreads across the Dread Lord's face, and he chuckles darkly. "My dear boy, you sound like a Leaden Mirror. It is for that reason I specifically did not say it removes the Fear, because you are right. The Fear is eternal. Stem it, restrain it, mute it, hide it... But never vanquish it entirely. That is our lesson. Fear is always with us."

Lad? The Dread Lord raises an eyebrow. He takes the bottle and pours himself a firm measure, before taking a drink with the routine behaviour of seasoned experience. He looks at the glass witha mild appreciation. "It certainly is, dear boy. Dream therapy is a branch of Oneiromancy to treat mental conditions. It cannot cure our visions lost to memory, however. Oneiromancy is a passion of mine, and I run sessions to practice. It needs a Hollow to do, but I would prefer not to do that today. It would depend on what manner of assistance you need, so I may need to prepare something." He takes another drink and savour the firey taste. "Dreams are the gateway to the mind and emotion. We can craft them in such a way to gain glamour from them, we can observe behaviours and drives, fears and desires. Finding a specific dream is very difficult, but can be done with the right talents. Pledges can be made to grant us access to dreams no matter where we are."
    Flowering Fairest, Mantle: An ever-changing, spine-chilling icy wind, creating spinning autumn leaves and haunting whispers.

The Fiery Forgemaster
    Strength
    Composure
    Status
    (Arms Dealers)
    Cole Volker

PRE

Sounded like a leaden mirror?... The Monarch had a point. Cole could be intimidating when needed- and his growing progression with hedgespun and the occult, while a means to stem his wrath, had also slowly turned into a branching away from it. The Forgemaster wasn't sure if this was good or bad. In his semi-inebriation, he decided to ponder it later. For now, a simple "Aye" to show his attentiveness was enough.

"Oneiromancy is... Not something I think I could do well. My work is more material... As material as forging with wyrdstuff is, at least. And while I'm hesitant to let anyone in my mind- especially the monarch of a court that thrives in fear- it would be helpful, perhaps. Necessary, even, if things get worse." If he gave up the drink and went back to his wrath. Became more consumed by it.

"Anyways. If you do host a session, feel free to invite me. Might help to learn how dream combat works- if I can't make dreams, I can at least defend myself in them. This was... Good. Is there anything else you wish to discuss?"

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mantle

Rhodes Scenes

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

"It's not often everyone thinks so poignantly or accurately on Fear, was my point. Not without having some connection to my Court. A compliment, I assure you." Rhodes takes another sip from his glass.

"It is a subtle art, one that requires understanding of how to read others' emotions, to truly master," the Flowering says lightly. "The mind is one of the few sanctuaries we supposedly have, and though we know that is not as true as we mighy like, pledges to to anything more than a cursory glance are expected for such a treatment. The Court of Fear is one of intellect and precision. Spreading Fear for Fear's sake serves little purpose. But should you wish this kind of assistance in the future and you wish me to be, Ah, supervised," he chuckles at the comic thought - no-one here knew dreams as he did, "I would not object."

He looks to the elemental. "Dream-fighting, or Oneiromachy, is also something is know about. Any physical fighter often retains their skill in the hedge, relying on a kind of... muscle memory. However, should you wish to try it for yourself I would find such a thing far easier if you made peace with the Iron King. I hear it is entirely in your hands to make that happen, and you would appear all the more reasonable to the whole Freehold for it." Rhodes drains the glass. "I do not know the subtleties of your grevience, nor do I particularly care, but I do know several members of the Freehold would rather not have you completely Banished over...." he waves a hand airily, "whatever this is." He rises, takes the satchel pulling it over one shoulder, and makes for the door.

Pausing as he opens the door, Rhodes looks over one shoulder. "Oh, and one last peice of free advice, Mr Volker. Do not challenge Seraphina again. Though it may not seem it, you were lucky. She is far more dangerous than her appearance would suggest." There is is a heartbeat's pause. "As am I."

Date Action Roll Result
    2019-05-17 06:55:19 Rhodes rolls 7 to Veiled Threat: Manip+intim (10 Again) 10, 10, 4, 5, 8, 1, 10, 7, 2, 7 4 successes

There is a chill breeze and tiny leaves spin into existance at the Dread Lord's feet. And he is gone.

That was fun! Thanks for the scene!

The Fiery Forgemaster
    Strength
    Composure
    Status
    (Arms Dealers)
    Cole Volker

PRE

Rhodes' offers, Cole took to heart. It would be intriguing to learn of the dreamscape- an opportunity he would take advantage of. The chuckle was... Unnerving, though that he would allow himself to be monitored was a small comfort. Though... Who was capable and willing to serve as watchman for King Creepy was anyone's guess. The forgemaster finished his drink as the Fall King finished his, tossing both bottles in the mix, sitting himself on the forge as the King made his exit.

"Your concern is not taken on deaf ears. I do not think this banishment will be indefinite- it will merely take time to... Adjust. Adapt." Cole watched the King leave and then.... The threat. As if the place weren't unnerving enough with the overpowering mantle, the spine-chilling air that swept through with his words almost put out the forge entirely.

Cole would later ponder why King Creepy would feel a need to defend a Spring Flower. At the moment, he was simply grateful that their intimidation tactics allowed for a means to differentiate the Summer Forgemaster and the Leaden King. A short reminder of why Cole wouldn't be joining his chummy book club anytime soon.

Fun Times!

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
Closed Thread