Ended
Watch

Hangover in the Barrens

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
    A
    Arturo Garcia

One night lapses into another, and hopefully this one would be less a testament to their power of will. In the same blacked out hotel room, with some generic action movie playing dubbed over in Spanish. The spot where Garrett had bled was heavily cleaned, the carpet chemical burnt.

Arturo had on a deep purple shirt, sleeves rolled up past the elbow, black slacks and his jacket thrown lazily across the bed.

The Bishop himself was seated at the table in the kitchenette area. The previous night there was a gun sitting on this table which very well may have put an abrupt end to his Danse. Funny, he never imagined that pistol in Garrett’s hand. Unlife had a funny way of working out like that.

Garcia had found a pack of playing cards, and had a game of solitaire going. Passing the night. Waiting to see if Prosper was going to accept the offer of trying this all over again. No blood needed this time, maybe though could manage a civil conversation.

Supplicant of Terror
    Presence
    (Gregarious)
    Garrett Prosper

PRE

Round 2.

Was stubborn a word attached to him now? The Savage was slowly collecting information with his field studies of Kindred closer to the Beast. Science was the reason he was putting up with this garbage he assured himself as he tapped on the door.

He wore a black button up shirt that was slightly wrinkled from being folded in the back of his vehicle as one of the few emergency change of clothes. Only slightly more formal: he still had runners and jeans. Prosper had simply rented his own place when he refused to make the trek all the way back to the Chapter House, tripping on hallucinogens and bouncing back from one of the most chaotic evenings he had had in a while. Sometimes a Gangrel just needed the isolation. Without his usual stash for moon rise routine, he has dark bruising that gives the bright attention a more haunted look, skin a little sallow in its hue. The hair is slicked and clean but already had escaping curls from any lack of product.

"You are right. It is shit out here," he practically barks. He had resorted to animals, giving up in his impatience for long stretches without signs of life and even less souls willing to engage.

A
    Arturo Garcia

His eyes shot up as he was joined. An expected guest, but still the beast was jumpy as the serpent hissed from its tired coil. He had a new look tonight, much rougher - worse for wear - hellish even. Seemed that the Savage liked his blush in more ways than one. He would judge if he didn’t bear the literal look of a corpse himself, seeming more fit for a role under George A. Romero instead of beside Peter Cushing.

He pushed the cards into a large pile and pulled them towards himself, pushing them all together to eventually form the deck again. He clacked the deck against the table on both short and long sides, creating a uniform block once more.

”I wondered how bad it could be at first. It wasn’t long before I came to the same conclusion.”

The tired Lord smiled and motioned towards the empty seat at the table. He began to shuffle the deck, slowly, a little sloppily, but it did the trick.

”Hmm, so did I miss anything fun after I was kicked out of Court. I haven’t had much time or company to ask.”

Supplicant of Terror
    Presence
    (Gregarious)
    Garrett Prosper

PRE

Garrett swatted the growling either coming from the usual taint of the Curse or his own irritation. He wasn't sure at this point, food being a sensitive point of contention for him. He had always managed in even worse conditions, but it didn't mean he was going to be graceful about it. Wasn't Dirt Nap wanting to volunteer for this? Weird kid.

Prosper pulled the chair to a new perch, watching the cards move. "Fun. Let me think; it has not been that long." Nights blurred together without specific anchors. "Fräulein Wood was given the Keeper title. I had checked out when Prince Antinori informed me that she would not have the position maintaining peace with any sort of tools beyond a hand holding and hushed words. I was not looking to be a glorified piece of furniture so the First Estate could point at someone when Court bucks again." He chuckles, "The worth of such a thing is weighed against previous behaviour. I have better things to do with my time than be an extension of Invictus resources with only popular Status signalling as my reward."

The Gangrel brightens a bit, "Oh, that was funny too. Everyone waited for me to make my points so they could just repeat me. I am sure both other candidates have a fantastic resume for handling more formidable predators instead of escalating. Herr Jack was adamant he is great at communication and peace keeping, and that we have a conspiracy together." He rested his chin in his hand, "So why did you tell the other Ventrue to support me?" He had ideas but he would rather hear it from the Lord.

A
    Arturo Garcia

Was the recounting of court true? Or was he playing the absent Lord for a fool...

failure
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-05-10 02:44:35 Arturo Garcia rolls 4 to See if the Savage is misleading (wit + sub) (10 Again) 7, 6, 3, 3 failure

There was no point for the Savage to do such...He wouldn't have gained anything from it.

”Maybe I am just cynical, Garrett. I should have given into the beast at Court, instead of Banishment I may have been made the new Hound. Funny how this place works. You helped me realize that. I have never seen the First Estate shy so far away from one of its favorite rites. That may be me coming from somewhere a little harder.”

He took the deck of cards and began to deal them, five cards each before setting them down between them.

”Besides, why do we need a Keeper who acts? It would scare the squishy ones.”

The Bishop took his five cards, lifting the cards to look at them, making a ‘hmm’ - he hadn’t even told the Savage what they were playing yet.

”I am not surprised about the first part. Jack’s argument for Whip was that he was Thomas Boyle without a covenant. Who knows, there may be something original about him we just haven’t seen yet.”

Talks of conspiracy? The Lord let out a gruff laugh and shook his head. He lifted the cards as he was asked why he had asked for support of the Savage.

Ever play War? Lowest to highest, first one with an empty hand wins. Not really a game of skill, you will have to forgive me.”

He didn’t answer, and instead looked at Garrett for a moment - fanning his cards.

”I see Jack is truly a master of tact. Please tell me he at least hinted at an alliance or tried to draw it out? Or did he simply blurt out that we must be working together.”

Arturo lowered the fan of cards, a scowl growing across his face.

”Please do not tell me he thought I was trying to help you when I offered to liberate the burden of unlife from his shoulders.”

Was the Whip that simple? Did he not have any pockets to place information? There may be some sickness to deal with if any of this panned out.

”You do well in Court, you know? Your words have real measure, your blocking is expert, your points of entry into conversations calculated. In short, you can be really fucking annoying. If you were going to keep playing games with Harpy Simmons I would babysit you myself. Teach you how to shake hands, how to wear a watch, match cufflinks...Whatever nitpick I felt like. I was going to make your time in Court our time in Court.”

He lifted the fan of Cards once more, looking to them.
    ”Keeper would keep you busy all the same, let everyone else be your problem. Nothing kills fun like responsibility. Maybe I would have more time to learn about horses.”

“Hmm, too much? My blood doesn’t much respect my thoughts on the matter, nor do they want to hear me out it seems. I have yet to see a Ventrue come to see me here in my new abode. Yet here we are.”

Kindred were oddly social creatures. Isolation gave you no one to confer with aside from the Beast. Combine that with starvation and the Prince may as well have ordered execution - it would be faster than the descent into madness.

”Who goes first...How about age before beauty?

Supplicant of Terror
    Presence
    (Gregarious)
    Garrett Prosper

PRE

Garrett snorts as he tries to hold a laugh. It turned out the Lord could be funny. With the explanation of the card game, he shuffled around thoughts on what that would be. The children's game? Perhaps Arturo wasn't confident in being able to think on the fly past simple increasing digits.

The other questions come as he ponders, fiddling with his own new collection. They are registered to be addressed while he smirks at the other, likely trying to see what game his hand was best suited for. At the question of who goes first, Prosper stacks an Ace and a two as a joke.

"Alliance? I thought the Grand Wyrm and the Harpy had their own agreement," he said. "Oh! Jack's argument. I explained that your position was rendered due to a lack of clarity with the Laws, and a lot of open discussion that the Prince is so offended by was often inspired by confusion of her standards. Other things, like understanding how to track Kindred motives and flaring hackles, etcetera etcetera... Jack agreed he was an excellent mediator and the Prince needed to communicate. Which was hilariously vague and clearly he did not denote I was pointing out how feckless he and Mable had been. Most of the Court, really," he grins, "Turns out I am good with feelings. Nuances and measuring future application of talent and ability, the Prince is not. Speak well and softly is what she likes, and only have an attitude for easy things that do not make people question their actions."

He was being chatty, but he assumed the Lord appreciated the noise beyond his own enraged thoughts. The admittance of further isolation ground a nerve that Prosper could empathize with.

Another laugh. He was swearing now? How scandalous. "You...know I am literally Oberklasse, right? I had to know how to talk at six, lest I embarrass my poor family during networking events. Though that game would have been entertaining for a short while, I think you would have found yourself trying to chase after me. You know, like how I pinged Jack around the room," he chuckles. "I wonder how long your patience would have held when I started nitpicking arbitrary European standards of decorum that died out ages ago."

He keeps the cadence and volume to match a salon of some kind, eventually enforcing House Rules of speed as he started flicking cards when he had them, rather than waiting for Arturo's turn.

A
    Arturo Garcia

A smirk tugged at the corner of Arturo’s lips as he witnessed the Savage play two cards. Cheeky. He let his eyes linger on the younger looking vampire as he spoke mostly, not paying much mind to his own cards before letting them fall. Some of the numbers made more sense than others. There were smarter ways to play such a simple game, but it proved a little harder with even depleted beast hissing in your ear.

”Well I suppose the idea of being well spoken is a nice sentiment. Some people love to live the illusion, even if they aren’t playing the game.”

The explanation of the vents caught Arturo up on matters, and helped him to better understand Garrett and what his skills and backgrounds were. It was less fueled by the same hunting instinct he had before - but that never truly went away.

He actually closed his eyes and laughed quietly before slowly opening them once more, this time looking at the card.

”European standards, Parisian especially are something I have practice with. Something I had to have practice with. Otherwise we may not be having this conversation today. Easier to accomplish too, if I have a shiny new title of my own. Thankfully I have come across one, does Bishop Garcia have a ring to it at all?

It wasn’t like he was unpracticed in values like that, we all came from somewhere.

He placed a 9 down on the pile and looked up to Garrett. How good were all those raised cards now?

Supplicant of Terror
    Presence
    (Gregarious)
    Garrett Prosper

PRE

Garrett slowly shrugs his shoulders, "When I see such things, I think those present have lived a luxury of not having their reality tested. Things have come blessedly easy, and the jaded seem unreasonable to violate their insulation. Why would anyone want bad things to happen?" he says.

"Unfortunately, what they have to learn is that choosing not the play just means you eventually are supporting someone who is. Sacrificing freedom for popularity is the choice of the weak."

The Savage listens with surprise at the sudden divulging of a Sire's expectations, blinking without necessity.

"You were not selected for your initial education?" He didn't run into many Lords that didn't have some kind of lineage of pedigree or assets to tow the purpose of their existence. His gaze flicks to the sudden leap in the stack that cut off an easy advancement, "That is funny, our Clan is faced with similar challenges in expectation of making adaptations."

Having burnt most of his hand already, he tops the stack with a King and claims the responsibility of the pile as if he expected Arturo to make a grab, rather than waiting for an Ace. The top of the deck is flipped to a 6, and he poorly schools a frown having nothing in his hand that fell to the center.

A
    Arturo Garcia

”Some people want to feel like they are one big happy family, and if they see that chance they will take it. You are not wrong, especially with how things unfold here in Sacramento. I would like to see some more clarity in the direction of the Domain myself versus reactions. Though, maybe I could get what I want if I flirted more.”

He mused gently as he eyed his cards, letting the numbers cycle through his mind for the moment.

”Both facts are not wrong. I had an education that my Sire found valuable, he helped to fill in the rest. It is also nice to hear that my struggles are not simply my own. I have learned that there is a level of brotherhood found in shared adversity. The story of Noah, etc, etc...I am sure I don’t need to spit too much biblical rhetoric at you.”

He dropped a seven onto the pile.

”I suppose all that I need to accomplish now is get myself out of the Barrens. I have set the wheels in motions to say the least. Though I think I may be on my own. Makes me happy I took the time to snag the title while there was still someone to validate it. Perhaps I can find a nice new church for us somewhere.”

Supplicant of Terror
    Presence
    (Gregarious)
    Garrett Prosper

PRE

Garrett snorts at the comment. "I thought you being intimidating was just that. Kindred do not find that charming?"

The Savage puts a hand to his heart, "Brotherhood in shared adversity. I shall make sure you are invited to the next Gangrel meeting. There is a lot of snarling and posturing, or lounging on chairs. Take your pick." At this point he expected the jabs were to be kept to a minimum while Arturo worked his way back to civilization and a clear head. There wasn't much sport to be had in this state, and it seemed he would have to run the conversation. Whatever, his own Blood usually weren't very good at this either. Arturo was strangely open, however, which tugged his curiosity. "How long were your lessons? Is your Sire still around?"

He is forced to draw another card and his attention goes back to the Lord at the vagueness of his last statement.

"What do you mean, alone? Was Adam relieved of his Life Boon? Or has he returned to the Domain proper?" he pauses, considering the implications. His mouth turns into a thin line, not sure if he wanted to know the answer.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 12

You do not have permission to view the list of names.