Ended
Watch

Barrens and Bureaucracy

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
    A
    Adam Exlibrist

Adam records Twists reaction with his mind. Then the counter of Seth's. Then came a knock at the door. This meeting would soon be the largest assemblage of Kindred within the barrens in some time. Pray no one became hungry.

Upon the arrival of Ellis, Adam greeted him with a bow.

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

As Deputy, Derek felt it was his duty to attend his cousin's impromptu and widespread invitation if only to ensure there were no plans for insurgency within the Domain. He had been warned harshly against the Carthian menace by his Sire. And even without the reputation of the Vermin behind him, Seth had all the characteristics of a loose cannon.

The Barrens were an inconvenience to trudge through, but Derek manages to arrive at the listed address.

He knocks, clad in his staple black hoodie and dark jeans and sneakers. The knife tucked into his hoodie pocket.

Touch of Shadow, 2suxx
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-05-09 22:46:00 Derek Menzies rolls 7 to place Touch of Shadow on knife [WIT+Larceny+Obf] (10 Again) 3, 6, 6, 3, 9, 1, 10, 1 2 successes
    Clash of Wills for those who can and wish to

"Good evening," he says, eyes darting among the gathered. He shrinks beneath the oppressive presence of Ellis and Seth. The only two Beasts he can sense.

When eyes fall upon Twist he lowers his head in deferential respect. "I did not realize you would be attending, Your Grace. Derek Mitnick. A pleasure." He'd only seen and heard her from afar. The others he had already met of course.

S
    Steven

Adam Exlibrist stands and politely exits the conversation, de-atomizing into the darkness of night.

The Barren Thief
    Dexterity
    (slender figure)
    Composure
    Status
    (Criminals. "Sable")
    Contacts
    (Criminals)
    Seth Kind

OCC
    PRE

"Cousin! A pleasure to see you. My oh my, so many people! How will I feed all of you!" A slight chuckle given the sparse nature of this place.

"I'm just saying- there has to be SOME way to lighten the mood around here. Everyone's so tense, it's a powderkeg waiting to blow, and every little spark seems to be flicked away here. It's not sustainable." Was Seth wrong? Given the immortality of their kind, and given the nature of barren-ment, continuing down this path surely wouldn't end anywhere well right?...

"I mean if any more people are banished here we'll have enough to form our own covenant." That... Wasn't untrue. Given the number so far?
    Anything else?

Presence
    (Suasive)
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Ellis Meadows

Mister Meadows, Interpreter

+1
    SL
    PRE

Ellis greets Derek with a nod. "Deputy Mitnick."

He runs a finger across a table as Adam left, impressed despite himself at the lack of grime that shows up.

"Lighten the mood?" Ellis' smile was bitter. "Mr. Kind. We're predators. Half of the Domain inspires the instinctual need to shove barbed wire down their throats and out the other end to make them into warning signs when I see them, and the other half makes me think that they're waiting for an excuse to introduce my soft parts to the business end of a melon baller for entertainment on the next year's slow nights. How on earth does one 'lighten the mood' in the face of that?"

"What do you think the purpose of banishing someone to the Barrens is, Mr. Kind?" Ellis asks, curiously. Did he think it was just a matter of someone in power flexing their authority over someone they didn't like?

Presence
    (Seductive)
    Striking Looks
    (Delicate)
    Mask of Tranquility
    Kalos Hamilton (Ghoul)
    New Identity (Myah Torsione)
    Twist
    Kalos Hamilton (Ghoul)

+1
    SL
    PRE

Twist listened to his words, her face not changing, not giving her thoughts away, as he spoke. His requested response though was delayed as the sound of a knock came and she simply glanced to the door, waiting to see who else would join this ... event.

As Ellis and Derek entered and greeted her, she dipped a head in return greeting, resisting the urge to look to Seth and see if he had heard the title given. To see if he had understood the title given. Smiling to acknowledge the strangeness of her presence she answers Derek, "It was a spur of the moment decision but I think in some ways my being here is as fitting as yours."

Twist made a soft hum of agreement with Ellis's point. Well... half of it. And then laughed, the sound more suited for bedrooms than barrens, "If we are asking about ways to release pressure, I know a few clubs..." Clubs that despite the décor were surely safer than hinting at rebellion against the Prince with her Hound and a Deputy in attendance.

"But I am curious to hear your answer to that last question."
    Counterfeiting Life (Blush) in Public Scenes

The Barren Thief
    Dexterity
    (slender figure)
    Composure
    Status
    (Criminals. "Sable")
    Contacts
    (Criminals)
    Seth Kind

OCC
    PRE

Ellis did have a point.

"Oh indeed. In a group where torture can be so brazenly discussed and challenges issued so openly, these things only peek at the surface of what must be so many tensions building. Nonetheless, if there is a problem with something you try to change it. Usually. As to the how... Mmmm... Maybe slapstick? Vitae cocktails? Someone could pull the fire alarm?" a light shrug. If he had any good answers, he wouldn't have organized this event.

"And do you think we shouldn't try to alleviate tensions whatsoever? If not, what might you suggest?" Seth wasn't a fan of the Invictus and the very Company-Esque reputation they held, but there could be good ideas. He was here, after all... Granted the thief wasn't sure if that was due to a genuine interest or a paranoid/morbid curiosity. Given their esteemed guest, Seth guessed it was a fair fifty/fifty shot for everyone here.

Anyways. She had statements, and he had asked a question.

"Yes, quite, clubs are marvelous for alleviating tensions- yet, again, despite us holding court right below one we seem quite tense. Should I propose we host court in the dance room one day? No mundies, but the lights, drinks, all that good stuff. A party, more than some quiet boardroom tensefest?" It was in jest... Mostly.

"As to the purpose of banishment. It is a tool- it's use largely depends on the person wielding it. Whether it's wasting your time with stupid comments like a fool, or disrupting court with grudge displays, all can be grounds for banishment depending on the Prince. And those willing to abide by their judgments. As for a more general definition, it's a way to punish violations or remove potential threats. Though is it every that simple?" Seth felt like he handled that well. He knew Carthians had debate teams- Seth was very interested in hosting something of the sort.
    Anything else?

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

Derek returns the nods to Ellis, appreciative of the acknowledgment.

The Mekhet then forces an awkward smile to the Elder. "Indeed," he says before directing his attention towards their evening's host and his exchange with Ellis.

"So if I am to understand correctly, the purpose of this meeting is to...alleviate tension through polite discussion. To first make light of it as...an ice breaker of sorts, so that it is easier to communicate without risk of offense," analyzes Derek as if explaining a joke to convey its meaning.

"I should say, I personally prefer a quiet interaction than a loud party where ideas are more difficult to communicate. But that aside, I believe banishment to the Barrens is meant as a punishment, where one can learn to appreciate the benefits that they are now denied. I imagine one must spend what might have been leisure time towards the hunt."

"In regards to the initial topics you brought forth, I personally do not support the use of torture, nor the normalization of it. There are sometimes more efficient and less unpleasant ways to retrieve information. And as for the challenge that was issued, I cannot say what brought Mr. Garcia to issue it, but Her Majesty denied the challenge, as is her right. What more is there to say on the matter?"

His tone is encouraging rather than critical, as if he really were curious what additional thoughts could be shared.

Presence
    (Suasive)
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Ellis Meadows

Mister Meadows, Interpreter

+1
    SL
    PRE

Oh, I've amused the Judex. Ellis nodded to the Duchess with a pleased smile. As delightful as that laugh was, now was not the time to flirt.

"Mr. Kind," Ellis begins, before changing his mind about his approach. "May I call you Seth?" What he had to say was going to sound condescending enough, and Ellis expected that it might go over a little less harshly if he delivered his thoughts more informally. He waits until the other Kindred assents. "Seth. The purpose of Elysium is to alleviate tensions. It's entire purpose is to allow each and every one of us to remember that we are more than monsters hiding in the shadows that eat people. It's to remind ourselves that we are capable of functioning together in a polite society, and not as rabid beasts, even if only for a few hours a month before we return to our personal business. If I hate someone so much that I am willing to risk loosing my immortality by fighting them, I am still expected to hold a polite conversation with them if we encounter each other within. If I do not think I can do so, then I stay home, or if my presence is required, then I avoid them and grit my teeth. If I want to challenge someone to Monomancy, then I will make an appointment with the Prince, Sheriff and my Rival outside of Court hours like a civilized person and not someone who is so wrapped up in my anger that I want to make a public scene of it. If I have a problem with someone talking about torturing people in the name of scientific inquiry, then I my concerns up with someone who has the authority to deal with them in private, I don't jump their ass in public and risk them getting cornered. Your Priscus would be one person, the Sheriff another, even the Keeper now that one is appointed." And since the Sheriff had condemned the torture the point had been made.

"As Deputy Mitnick says, banishment is a merciful warning. It is a lesson that is meant to teach it's students that there are consequences if you can't handle the rules of our society. It hits us in the only place that can hurt us, our stomachs. We're immortal Seth, food is the only meaningful lever our society has. Anything else isn't practical or it's grossly inhumane."

"No one in Elysium should be made to look the fool. Not even you, Seth. It awakens the absolute worst instincts in our kind. We crowd around like vultures, eager to pick someone's reputation clean and then point and sneer while they try to recover. I've seen it happen, and I have no doubt that everyone in this city has seen it happen. All it takes is one of us flipping the fuck out because you decide to slam a pie tin full of cool whip dyed red into their face and no one being close enough to stop them before they murder you, or flee upstairs with their fangs out in public and accidentally eat some club kid tripping out on the dance floor for it to become a total clusterfuck. If you want to make gatherings less tense, then you need to work with Her Majesty's newly appointed Keeper to that end instead of," Ellis gestures with a finger to indicate this gathering, "Making what looks like an end run around her authority to undermine it."

"You could speak with the Keeper and see if an offer of clean, vetted blood dolls that you maintain the quality of would be appreciated, for instance." If Seth was willing to make the effort, Ellis expected such a material offer to the quality of Elysium would be well received. It would certainly smooth over any inadvertent insult he might have caused. "The Underground has small private rooms where guests could feed in privacy if they are having trouble feeding and knowing that it is possible to step away from the action for a break and a snack so they can cool their tempers would likely help the atmosphere a great deal. If you want a party, again, speak with Keeper Wood. See if she wants to form a committee with you and any other interested parties to plan themed Courts. Arrange contests with minor prizes and favors at stake to channel our natural aggression in constructive patterns."

10. Likes Psychangel, Vassagon liked this post
    Presence
    (Seductive)
    Striking Looks
    (Delicate)
    Mask of Tranquility
    Kalos Hamilton (Ghoul)
    New Identity (Myah Torsione)
    Twist
    Kalos Hamilton (Ghoul)

+1
    SL
    PRE

Twist resisted the urge to sigh. What might have been amusing at first was now becoming truly boring. But at least Derek and Ellis had more patience than her, as well as words.

Each leaving Seth with a barrage of questions, Twist refrained from adding more. Focusing and following their speeches instead, and then looking to evaluate Seth's reaction and response.
    Counterfeiting Life (Blush) in Public Scenes

12. Bump Domino "Bump" this post
Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread