(1904) Dirt Nap and Derek

THREADID

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

"I'm afraid I'd be quite lost dealing with any animals. I spend a majority of my Requiem behind a computer screen, if at all possible. Sometimes I think I understand computers better than our own kind. I'm sure there's a psychological term for that. Not dissociation...alexithymia maybe? Least that's what I read online. Not that it really applies to us so much as the Kine."

Derek's eyes shift around as he talks, not quite making eye contact with Dirt Nap, despite the likewise unassuming presence of character. The events of the evening were still fresh on his mind, the spat between Harpy and Sheriff, resolved as quick as it started with an apology. But the wake it left behind still ripples with intrigue.

"Why, uh, why horses in particular, if I might ask?"

2. Likes Ruach liked this post

Presence
    (Watching)
    New Identity Clayton Jordan Carter
    Obfuscate 2 Mask of Tranquility
    Occultation (Vampire)
    Dirt Nap

OCC
    PRE

"Well, I make my living training horses." Dirt Nap says amiably, with a subtle emphasis on the word, 'living'.

"Do you work for your living with computers?" Dirt Nap asks. "I barely know how to turn one on, and get on the Internet." he says with a chuckle.

Oops! Sorry on using the wrong name, yes, Dirt Nap would only know the name 'Derek' gave for himself.

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

Derek pauses thoughtfully, pondering the emphasis before responding.

"I've worked with computers for decades now. It's what I'm most comfortable with. And, as it turns out, it's been quite invaluable to me, so I prefer to keep my skill in it refined. I learned long ago how to manipulate digital accounts so I live quite comfortably." He adds his own emphasis in hopes that he understood its meaning correctly.

"The Kine are clever in some respects, but the same infrastructure that is so convenient to them is a risk to us. I try to stay ahead of their technological advancements. Though some nights it just feels like I'm barely keeping up. In the end it's probably no better than remaining ignorant and keeping to traditional means of protecting the Masquerade. The tried and true efforts." He seems melancholy saying this.

"So, uh, how does one make a living training horses? Do Kine even still ride them?"

Derek realizes now that he might have very little in common with this man.

5. Likes Ruach liked this post

Presence
    (Watching)
    New Identity Clayton Jordan Carter
    Obfuscate 2 Mask of Tranquility
    Occultation (Vampire)
    Dirt Nap

OCC
    PRE

Dirt Nap listens intently, watching Derek Menzies, whom he now knows only as Derek Mitnick carefully.

"Huh. By 'infrastructure', you mean like how I can't just show up with a piece of paper saying I am someone else without someone typing it into a computer to check? That sort of thing?" he asks.

Dirt Nap chuckles, "Well, first off, there is the convenient fact that they have blood in 'em, something a computer wouldn't do for me, that I know of anyway." he says. "It's pretty popular nowadays, not just rich folks neither. There's places all around here where people keep their horse and come to ride it when they can get away from their office or apartment," he says.

"Sometimes they get a horse that needs some working with to be fit to deal with an anxious predator type riding on its back. I help people out, who don't have the money to pay the boarding place for horse training and lessons. I work cheap, cash only, and get access to feed on the animal whenever I need to." Dirt Nap explains.

"I suppose, if I had better ID and such, I could work for other folks, like the mounted police. People who check the computers."

Dirt Nap shrugs. "I don't need much though, and it's been a good working arrangement for a while now."

Dirt Nap seems to catch something or someone in his sight across the room.

"I am sorry. I really am glad you came over and introduced yourself. I'm not totally sure, but my Master may be calling me. I'd enjoy talking more if we get the chance later." Dirt Nap says apologetically and without a trace of irony, excusing himself once again.

Dirt Nap begins to drift over towards where the Sheriff and Grand Wyrm, Lina Moretti is eyeing him and smiling.

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

"Ah," remarks Derek. Being around a source of blood made sense. Large animals held a lot of blood, even if it were only animal blood. Recreational horseback riding doesn't really appeal to him, but many urbanites have expressed such interests in getting away from the hustle and bustle of their daily toil. "It does sound like a good arrangement."

As Dirt Nap receives his summons, Derek looks about the room once more at the goings on and nods his understanding.

"It's alright. It was nice to meet you, Dirt Nap." Might as well call him by his preferred name. Adding 'mister' to it might sound strange. "Talk to you later."

Derek returns to the main thread

8. Likes Ruach liked this post

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

Forgot to close thread

10. Likes Ruach liked this post
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 11

You do not have permission to view the list of names.