Ended
Watch

A Family Affair

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    T
    Thomas Boyle

The first word that comes to mind when visiting the Temple is 'raw'. When arriving through the main entrance, one directly enters the ritual room, as is usual with churches. Aside from several wooden benches against the walls and the altar, this main room is mostly empty. The walls are decorated (or 'decorated') by what remains of the graffiti crafted by previous occupants. There are hundreds of etchings on the altar, and upon closer inspection they are revealed to be the names of gods revered across the world.

But perhaps the most distinct element of the decor is the inscription painted in red, above the altar:

"THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE/AND WITH STRANGE AEONS, EVEN DEATH MAY DIE"

This night, the center of the room is occupied by a simple wooden table and two chairs, one of which is taken by Thomas Boyle, clothed in a simple black robe.

If one wishes to breathe, they'd detect a faint smell of incense and sage. There's little light in the Temple, provided by several candles placed at just the right distance from one another to make the Beast aware, but not stir it to any... violent action.

In complete silence, the Ventrue is waiting.

Jacque Killian

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

Educated, scholarly, lawyer, scientist.
    Jack's outward demeanor and tone are a baseline of respectful and calculated.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Jacque arrives to the temple, rapping at the door before making his entrance. He was wearing his leather overcoat over a vest and dress pants. By this time most kindred may have recognized the habit that business casual was as casual as this Lord would ever be.

He glances across the walls and features of the temple before resting his eyes on Thomas. The Beast stirred with desire, pulling and clawing at his calves to stand their ground- to retreat.

Jacque stepped forward into the main area, approaching the table. A hand motions to the inscription above the altar, "For a religion plagued with rumor and prejudice, it is quite ironic to see a quote from a work of fiction be the most prevailing feature of the temple. Lovecraft, no?"

His eyes drift across the graffiti as he awaits Thomas' response. Why do all the Kindred religions reside in such dilapidated structures?

Blood Hunt:

T
    Thomas Boyle

It was a polite gesture to announce oneself before entering, and a very Lordly one to enter without awaiting response. Without a Beast to contend with, Thomas finds it easy to just smile... and stare at his Whip intently. It's been intriguing him for some time just what predator lies in the darkness.

3 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-04-05 03:51:04 Thomas Boyle rolls 7 to Clash of Wills (Wits + Inv + Auspex) (10 Again) 5, 5, 9, 2, 4, 9, 10, 1 3 successes

1 success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-04-05 03:52:25 Thomas Boyle rolls 6 to Beast's Hackles (Wits + Empathy + Auspex) (10 Again) 4, 2, 2, 4, 10, 4, 4 1 success

"Fiction or no fiction, I find the quote to carry some truth. And if anyone laughs or rolls their eyes, I say - let them. Those that refuse to look beyond the surface are not worth wasting their breath on, anyway" He looks thoughtful, following the other Ventrue's gaze onto the wall paintings "I know, I know. I pondered removing it, but on second thought... they are now a part of this place's history, just like anything else. It adds texture, too. Please, sit"

He gives Jacque a while to make himself comfortable and offer any thoughts he'd like to share before continuing.

"So, our Prince's prejudice towards religion is a known fact..."

Thomas uses Beast's Hackles to determine Jacque's Blood Potency. Per the recent clarification, you need to roll Clash of Wills (Resolve + Stealth + Obfuscate) and, if you win (3+ suxx) you needn't make a resistance roll (of the same pool). Let me just tag Steven in case I got any of the math wrong

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

The uncomfortable stare put Jacque on edge. As brief as it was, it was an unusually focused gaze from Thomas. Is he measuring me up for size? Was there still some bone to pick regarding the Whip position?

Reserving the right to roll to ID Beast Hackles once a dice pool is decided but I wanted to at least get this going. Jacque wouldn't bring it up immediately anyway, even if he could identify it.
      failure
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-04-05 08:44:11 Jacque rolls 1 to clash of wills (Res + Stealth + Obfuscate) (10 Again) 1 failure
      5 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-04-05 08:45:49 Jacque rolls 8 to resist BH (Res+Comp+BP+Obfuscate) (10 Again) 8, 6, 9, 3, 9, 10, 10, 5, 7, 6 5 successes

He shrugs his shoulders with a smile at Thomas' explanation, "I can appreciate not washing away the... unattractive parts of the history here." He moved forward to seat himself in the chair, "Thank you."

"I was speaking in general, actually." He quirked an eyebrow at the comment before continuing, "What makes you say that she is prejudiced?" He had come to discuss Lina, but if that scope needed to be broadened then now was the time to adjust.

Blood Hunt:

T
    Thomas Boyle

"Call it a hunch, based on my conversations with her during Court and... elsewhere. From what I've seen and heard, her interactions with the other Acolytes have been less than friendly as well. Since I don't think myself nearly as important to be the target of her dislike on account of my personal traits, the simplest explanation is that she is wary of religion in general" He pauses for a moment to find the right words "And she does seem to have a predilection towards the material, distrusting the intangible"

The stress his Whip placed on the word 'she' is not missed. Of course, Lina is next in line to frown on the Circle, but her reasons seem to be... less possible to alleviate.

"What's your perspective on it? Were you in my shoes, what would you do?"

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"For Prince Antinori, I believe it is easy to draw that perception during a time where Miss Mable was coming under heavy scrutiny. I am unsure of your Hierophant's history on interaction with her or yours for that matter, however. For the Second Estate, I believe the Prince's ire was well earned, whether the threat was a misguided attempt to bluff or if he truly believed that war between San Francisco and Sacramento would be waged over access to a dilapidated building."

He leans forward in his chair, tapping a finger on the table, "From what I've gathered, Prince Antinori does not have an inherent prejudice towards either of the faiths and has gone as far to be hospitable to all clans and covenants. I do agree that her personal preference is clearly towards the tangible, but is that really so hard to believe?" He shrugs his shoulders as he leans back, "That is certainly not something unique to the Prince. At least she is open to the existence of such faiths."

"Without more detail on the nature and content of your and your fellow acolyte's conversations I cannot effectively put myself in your shoes." He smiles, waiting to see if Thomas is willing to share the necessary details.

Blood Hunt:

T
    Thomas Boyle

"I am not talking about the situation with Adam, I've heard what happened and I think we can both agree that this is different, and Prince's Antinori distaste for the faiths goes deeper than a random vampire's babble" It is only a side note that it is conceivable for San Francisco to war over the Moore House. Kindred can be vengeful, petty creatures.

Oh yes, spew the party propaganda if you want, Whip, but it doesn't change anything - the Prince dislikes the faithful, despite her words of hospitality "Well, perhaps I was born a few centuries too late to regard the right to exist as the Prince's mercy" The Acolyte says with a slight smile

"Let's just say that Her Majesty feels the Hierophant was negligent in his duties as a Deputy, and Mable had some... misunderstandings regarding the Keeper position. I'm afraid I cannot say anything more than that without breaking the trust of my fellows. If this information is insufficient for your advice, then I'm sorry I wasted your time, Whip Jack" He was... semi-genuine in his words. Thomas wasn't actually apologetic, but it is true that he cannot expect his clanmate to guesstimate here.

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"No, I can appreciate your discretion Mister Boyle," he waves a hand dismissively. "After all, how could I trust you to keep my secrets if you would not do the same of your fellow Acolytes?"

"We're clearly not viewing the Prince in the same light," he ponders the problem and what has been said briefly before adding, "What would you have the Prince do differently? She has given the Hierophant a Regency and held everyone accountable for their missteps. She does not pursue or worship faiths personally but also has not impeded them. If she were trying to impede the Faithful, why would she have given them power? What is she not doing that leads you to feel at an inherent disadvantage?"

He shakes his head with hints of apathy to the statement, "Not my her mercy Mister Boyle, her indifference."

Blood Hunt:

T
    Thomas Boyle

He nods at the discretion comment. It was fair of him.

"I don't presume to know better that the Prince how to run her Domain" Such presumption would, after all, quickly result in heads being on pikes "But I'll say this - for a Regent and a Deputy, Krieg has received a rather cold endorsement from her. Compare this, please, with Elettra Vitale, who was praised despite barely having the time to unpack her bags and not having any achievements to her name" He points out.

It is true the Prince doesn't ignore merit or missteps, but they just don't seem to hold the same weight when applied to different people.

"But the thing is, it's less than useful to lament on the Prince's decisions. Knowing the futility of the task, I'm not seeking to change her patterns of behavior, I am seeking advice on how to adjust mine" So there's that. The Prince. Now for what the Whip had in mind, Sheriff Moretti "You also said, with some certainty, that it is the Sheriff that holds prejudice agains the Crone, and now it's my turn to be surprised. Why do you think this is so?"

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

He chuckles quietly, "Cold as it was, Hierophant Krieg is still one of her Regents. In fact, I believe he is her only active Regent now. She has quite aptly demonstrated that she has no issue revoking the appointment if she feels someone no longer appropriately represent her interests." He flits his index finger upward, "As for Miss Vitale, I would consider that half the domain spoke even more highly of her, including our Priscus and Hierophant Krieg but had the sense to reel it back to merely recognize her ambition and poise as Priscus of the Shadows."

He nods, "True enough. My approach to the Prince has been fairly simple. I give her updates and information on how I am progressing in my plan to be valuable to her Domain. She seems like the type who is more impressed by action than words. Do something or plan for something that is significant to her Domain and follow through, and make sure she is aware."

His eyes widen for a moment, "Which reminds me, you wanted to know my plan to pursue the Keeper vacancy at Court. I want to first apologize as I'm certain I came off as untrusting of you and Mister Garcia. The reason I kept it close to the chest was because it was a Hail Mary. The Prince stated her goal of establishing a network of allies within City Hall and the Sacramento Police." He shifts in his seat as his hands begin to talk with him, "My influences are best held in the Judicial arena along with the City Hall. My bid for Keeper involved leveraging significant influence in Judicial sphere could effectively control or inhibit any negative actions taken by the police, and more importantly redirect their attention to her enemies." He lifts an eyebrow, "You see, if anyone else knew about it at Court the loud voice of opposition could create an argument that the Prince moved the goalposts, as asinine as it would be. So long as nobody else knew, my opportunity was at its optimum potential."

To his last question he smiled, "It was not a deep conversation that enlightened me, but her words and body language said it all. I actually came here to see if you had any inclination as to why. Otherwise, I'll need to go back to her to get it straight from the horse's mouth. For all intents and purposes it was less about you three as individuals and more about the Faith in general. I'm certain Sheriff Moretti sees your individual value or she would not have your Hierophant as a Deputy." Or perhaps another way of keeping authority over him. Either could be possible.

Blood Hunt:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 12

You do not have permission to view the list of names.